Start by marking “Rivers of London: Body Work, #1” as Want to Read:
Rivers of London: Body Work, #1

Rivers of London: Body Work, #1

(Rivers of London: Body Work #1)

ALTERNATE COVER ART PRIOR TO PUBLICATION.

Peter Grant is one of only two members of a very special branch of London's Metropolitan Police. He is, in fact, pretty much a wizard and it's his job to investigate those shadowy crimes that involve urban vampires, weird folk in the underground and, in this case, why cars are suddenly taking on lives of their own and killing innoce

Published July 15th 2015 by Titan (first published January 1st 2015)

Start your review of Rivers of London: Body Work, #1
Orient
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Rivers of London
Recommended to Orient by: The Folly Irregulars
It was good to taste Mr. Aaronovitch humor once more and get back to Peter Grant :) Nice short story. The pics were quite nice, almost all character were beautifully drawn :)
Lynne King
Aug 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
Mark
Jun 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
buying this on payday this friday.

finally got around to buying this just today, spent a very enjoyable afternoon reading it after xmas dinner.

nice to see Peter between books. Can't wait for the next novel and comic in this superb series of books.
John of Canada
Oct 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Terrific artwork,especially the beemers and an interesting idea for a story.3.5
Mark
May 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of modern fantasy
Shelves: fantasy, 2016
The books creeped in under the radar, the police constable that found his way into this special squad within the London police department that was aimed at the more supernatural affairs within the kingdom of England. It is a little crew that is fighting the more supernatural crime in their own way.

This is a collection of a short series based upon the book series created by Aaronovitch whose big claim to fame is of course his involvement with the classic but brilliant series called Doctor Who.

An
Denise
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Nearly perfect! Loved the last few cells!
Emma Gerts
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I do love me some Peter Grant. Probably would rate this just below the Peter Grant novels just because there wasn't as much of Peter's delightful internal monologue and not as much story because of the format, but even so this was a super enjoyable read and I recommend it for anyone who's a fan of the Peter Grant series.
Antonomasia
(3.5-4 ?)
How often do you see an adaptation in which nearly all the characters look the way you imagined them*? Well, apparently it can happen!

This is only a single-issue [sorry!], not much there, but I like the way they've used such a mundane, The Bill type setting of a dodgy mechanic and scrap-metal yard. Same wit as you'd expect from the originals, but I missed the fast-talking presence of the novels - just not enough words here. (Though the sense of slowed pace might simply have been because
Rozina
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This first graphic novel edition of Ben Aaronovitch’s books was a consistent blend between fantasy and crime, two of my favorite genres. Since I haven’t read his books serie yet, I’ve found this edition enjoyable, interesting until the end but too short. Also the plot was brief and now I want more! :) Hopefully, the next graphic novels will deliver more.
Dan
Nov 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
I've seen graphic novel adaptations of prose novels in the past but I can't think of another example of an author telling a new story in comic book form from the world of his novels. But that's what we get here.

The story centres around a series of apparently haunted cars which have been causing some major problems. But just how does a car end up being haunted and how do you arrest a car? It's a short story and played even more for humour than the novels but it's still a decent tale.

I thought t
Siobhan
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
The following is a review for the entirety of Body Works, one through five, as I read the combined edition rather than the individual chapters…

I’m a big fan of the Peter Grant series, and yet I’ve avoided the graphic novels for one reason: I’m not a fan of graphic novels. I’ve tried to get into them a few times, yet I find it extremely difficult. I can understand the appeal, I can see why there are so many graphic novel fans out there, but I doubt I will ever be one. Nevertheless, my curiosity a
Jenn "JR"
I read the 6 "Rivers of London" novels last December and missed out on the graphic novels which carry the character development between novels on a non-obvious schedule. Check out the blog posting from the author for the correct order: http://temporarilysignificant.blogspo...

Nonetheless - I found the Body Work graphic novel series to be a quick and fun read. It was a bit fantasy, a bit horror and a bit crime-fiction. It was quite enjoyable to see the all the characters drawn out -- though I did
Tricia Palmer
May 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've already started Moon over Soho I really enjoy the quirkiness of this writing and I'm looking forward to more.
Jun 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Amazing as Audio book
Dave Packard
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nice to get some pictures of people/places from the books! Plus a fun story to boot!
Bridget
Jul 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: my-bookshelves
I have always thought that I'd read Rivers of London but when I started this I realised it was one of those times when you've talked about the book so many times that you feel like you've read it, but you haven't.

I was really excited to find this graphic and couldn't wait to get started, it is a really fast and nicely drawn book. The art is really rather fabulous. My problem with the story is that if you haven't read it you get a bit confused with the structure. There is a bit of back and forth
Pamela Shropshire
What do I think? I think, why did I wait so long to try the graphic novels in this series???

There have been references in the books to haunted Mercedes and other incidents that were in the graphic novels, so being a bit OCD about needing to know EVERYTHING about a series, I finally gave in and spent the big bucks for the graphic novels. They were actually more than I'd hoped for! I love seeing the artists' vision of the characters and I enjoy the short bits at the end. I LOL'd at "Urgent Summon
Katy Jean Vance
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
I’m sad to say it, but nope! The story needs the words. The graphic novel setting is not enough to make up for missing all of Aaronovitch’s writing.

But the Tales from the Folly and the Thames get five stars! 😂🤣
Christine
It's a pretty good start. I love the use of minority characters. Interesting.
Tony Pedley
Jun 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was bought to me by my Brother in Law and like many such presents it sat on my shelf until I had run out of other reading material.

So what did i think.

Well firstly it is clear the author knows London well. The description of the lesser known London byways are done well and described brilliantly.Secondly he gives a great description of modern police work. Until I read his bio I felt it had to have been written by a working copper, so his research is top-notch

So what is the book about? I
Tanwen Cooper
Apr 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This great addition to the River's of London series sees Peter Grant teaming up with everyone's favorite Somali pirate ninja girl to solve the mystery of a haunted car.

The graph plays to the series' strengths: character interaction and dialogue and it was short enough that it avoided the usual problems (namely that of pacing). It also felt like it had been written with the format in mind, rather than just a short story with pictures, which was cool.

The art style is really clean and crisp, and w
Tony
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My Grade = 90% - A-

After having finished all 6.5 books in Ben Aaronovitch’s Rivers of London series, I found myself going through withdrawal and I need a quick fix until the next book in the series is published in November, 2018, (in London).

I had heard about these graphic novels (comic books) from a Goodreads friend, and found 4 of the 5 in the series and decided to give them a try.

It was great at first, and, as I am mainly a visual learner, it was very interesting to see graphic representation
Roy
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, mystery
I've been reading Ben Aaronovitch River series of London fantasy police procedurals since they first came out and continue to read them as they appear.
I usually don't look at graphic novels/stories in the same world as the published word because they are usually repeats of the novels. This is not the case here.
The story here is good, the way the characters are drawn is a good match to my minds eye of how they would look, and the overall execution of the comic is great.
A pleasant surprise and I
Tracey Flitcroft
May 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book, it took a little time to get into the style of writing but ended up loving it. As soon as I finished I was onto the next book in the series. The book follows PC Peter Grant as he moves into a special branch of the police who deal with supernatural events. A bit like a grown up Harry Potter. I like the additional bits of information thrown in about London, it makes me want to visit again. Im a big fan of Jasper Fforde and this reminds me a little of his writing - quirky
Andrea Bowes
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First instalment

Note, to avoid disappointment, this is only the first instalment of a graphic novel in the excellent Rivers of London series. I really enjoyed it and will read the rest as soon as possible. If you like the series you will almost certainly enjoy it too. If you haven't I think it will stand alone but seriously, read or listen to the whole series, it really is good.

Anthea Norman
Jul 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ironically heard Tom Robinson recommend the on Radio 4s A Good Read so gave it a go. Love the sideways swipes at other practitioners of this genre. And there's a murder mystery in all the weird stuff too. The attention to detail regarding police procedures gets,a bit lost in jargon but other than that loved it!
Helen Jones
May 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I so enjoyed this book! So much so, I'm about to order the next in the series. From the characters to the detail and the authentic London feel, to the magic and mystery and plot, this is one of the best books I've read in a while. I don't often read mysteries - they're not really my cup of tea, but this one was so clever it got me hooked straight away. Highly recommended.
Col Crosbie
A friend gave me this for my birthday, and what an enjoyable read. Probably best way to describe it is a combination of Harry Potter, who done it and a sprinkle of Stephanie Plum thrown in. Now need to hunt down the rest of the series so l can see how it all turns out.
Zoe
May 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
Reading it on my kindle, even though that is not an ideal format on which to read graphic novels, because that is currently the only format I seem to be able to buy.
There is nothing I don't love about this series, and this graphic story is no exception!
Thane Sinclaire
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It’s funny and difficult to put down once you have started. It does require, however, a bit of knowledge and appreciation for English humor and the geography of London and its history.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Folly Irregulars: Body Work--book one 20 17 Dec 14, 2016 09:36PM

• Rivers of London: Water Weed #4
  • The Quantum Curators and the Fabergé Egg
  • Jim Butcher's Dresden Files: Ghoul Goblin
  • The Book of Lies (The Last Oracle, #4)
  • The Book of Betrayal (The Last Oracle, #5)
  • London Falling (Shadow Police, #1)
  • Ten Days with a Duke (12 Dukes of Christmas, #11)
  • The Book of Mayhem (The Last Oracle, #3)
  • The Vinyl Detective - Flip Back: Vinyl Detective
  • Last Respects (Inspector Sloan #10)
  • Ink & Sigil (Ink & Sigil, #1)
  • A Hiss-tory of Magic (A Wonder Cats Mystery, #1)
  • The Book of Harmony (The Last Oracle, #7)
  • Undercover Ostrich
  • The Book of Havoc (The Last Oracle, #6)
  • The Book of Destiny (The Last Oracle 9)
  • The Book of War (The Last Oracle, #8)
Ben Aaronovitch's career started with a bang writing for Doctor Who, subsided in the middle and then, as is traditional, a third act resurgence with the bestselling Rivers of London series.

Born and raised in London he says that he'll leave his home when they prise his city out of his cold dead fingers.

Rivers of London: Body Work (5 books)
  • Rivers of London: Body Work, #2