Start by marking “Chaos Quarter (Chaos Quarter #1)” as Want to Read:
Chaos Quarter (Chaos Quarter #1)

Chaos Quarter

(Chaos Quarter #1)

For over five hundred years, humanity has sprawled across the galaxy, forming fractious empires and deadly regions of lawless space. In the midst of brewing tensions, disgraced pilot Rex Vahl is tapped for a suicide mission: infiltrate an interplanetary power known only as the “Hegemony” and discover what hides behind their veil of secrecy.

What does Rex have on his side? H
Published December 9th 2014 by 47North (first published August 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Chaos Quarter, please sign up.
David Welch The second book in the series, Chaos Quarter: Imperial Ambitions, is now available at Amazon. Hope you enjoy it!

Start your review of Chaos Quarter (Chaos Quarter #1)
Nancy Steinle gummel
Chaos Quarter by David Welch is a first reads win and I'm giving my honest opinion. This is a savvy and well written space opera. Due to the death of the Commodore's son, though our hero Rex, tried to note he wasn't pilot material, there is much hatred from the Commodore against Rex. Mr. Jones gives Rex his new orders, take a ship with his own crew members go to the other side of chaos quarter and search for the ambassador to a different civilization. It's a death mission. He's given a sizeable ...more
david m. kahler
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable

I found this book to be quite an enjoyable read. Good plot, nice character development. From 1 Ace of Spades "moron" to another- good job!
Caitlin
Mankind is divided into two sections, the wealthier and well-policed central planets, and the far-flung, independent, and dangerous frontier worlds. The worst of these frontier worlds lie in the Chaos Quarter, full of dangerous criminals, tiny governments, and impoverished people struggling to survive.

Rex Vahl is from the wealthy section, part of the Free Terran Commonwealth, but he fell afoul of an abuse of power, and is now on a suicide mission to discover the secrets of the space beyond the C
R.L.
May 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, fiction, kindle
Really enjoyed this book. A good--and extremely diverse--cast of characters, some interesting if not ground-breaking sci fi. And I admire the author's willingness to explore some interesting philosophy. Overall, a good read!
Gina
I received this book as a first read. It was very pedestrian - not terrible but not good either. A lot of time was spent describing places. There was very little action or actual story. It seemed more like a tour of futuristic space systems than an adventure.
Emerson Jesseler
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is an pretty standard scifi adventure, but with a dirty mind. Our hero, Rex, is given a ship and sent into the Chaos Quarter -- a lawless, untamed region of space (a concept that is a staple of scifi adventure). On the far side of this Chaos Quarter is ... something. A mysterious place from which no one ever returns. Rex's mission is to figure out what's going on over there.

"Everybody calls it the Chaos Quarter because that's what it is! It's the Wild West on steroids."

He assembles a rag-ta
David P. Duffy
Jul 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Decent Space Opera Romp Moves Fast

The "Chaos Quarter (The Chaos Quarter Book 1)," authored by Mr. David Welch, is a decent, fast moving, space opera romp, that entertains in a pulp style manner. No heavy thinking required.

The storyline take place five (5) centuries in the future. A Earth (Terra) based democratic Commonwealth, in constant conflict with a "Ivanhoe" style, brutal and amoral "Europan (sic) Empire," becomes concerned about an unknown force beyond the borders of the "Chaos Quarter" sp
Rob Morton
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book, from the characters right down to the action; I even found the crew of the War-beast fascinating as well as their hatred for machines and rather odd quest for perfection and the lengths they were willing to go through to keep their hegemony a secret but having a deeply seeded hatred of primitive humans.

Rex, our hero, is sent on what started out as a boring punishment detail after getting on the wrong side of his commanding officer who Rex trained and failed because the kid w
Becky
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-prime
I really enjoyed the description of the society that Lucius came from, though it did seem a bit overly focused on sex! I thought the characters were a good cast and would be interested in learning more about each of their societies. Also wondering if anything develops between Second and whatshisface (the captain). Not in a super huge rush to go out and read the next book, but might get around to it someday. I believe this book was recommended for people who like/miss Firefly and I would say that ...more
Deni Ann Gereighty
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Solid sci fi action in space book with original characters altho not extensive info on backgrounds. It is more of a mon th in the life of main character on a particular mission but was engaging and fun to read. I hated to put it down even when dawn approached, so it is a good book. (I have an actual library in my house, I love to) read so much.
Christopher
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
5 stars for a ripping good yarn.

1 star for the author's knowledge of physics.

Averages out to 4 stars (My knowledge of basic math apparently at par with the author's knowledge of physics...)
Taniplea
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
The different characters were really interesting
Deren Kellogg
Mar 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was similar to a couple of other books, I read lately: "Leviathan Wakes" by James S.A. Corey and "The Lost Starship" by Vaughn Heppner. All three focus on the quirky crew of a small starship facing dangerous situations, possibly leading to large-scale war. I actually though this was the most entertaining of the three.

Rex Vaul is a naval officer of the Free Terran Commonwealth (basically the democratic nations in space), who is sent on a suicide mission after being falsely blamed for the dea
Nathan Schmidt
Dec 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received this book from Goodreads First Reads, and appreciate the opportunity.

This was an excellent science fiction adventure. All of the characters were interesting and compelling, and I became attached to their struggles. The many different worlds and cultures were also intriguing. The pseudo-epigraphs helped enhance the depth of the story.

I only wish that the book was longer. It was a relatively short read, and I felt that the adventure could have been expanded more. For instance, Jake, who
Henry Lazarus
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
David Welch looks at a far future in which hyperspace travel is common and humanity has spread out to thousands of stars. Rex Vahl is sent on a suicide mission into the Chaos Quarter (hard from 47 North) where piracy and general lawlessness rules. A few settled planets have provide some civilization, but there are rumors of a third major power forming, the Hegemony. Sent in without crew, Rex soon picks up Chakruja, former prostitute with tiger-striped skin as a co-pilot in training and milk prov ...more
Darlene
Nov 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As the title implies...full of action

Rex, after being sent off to explore the Chaos Quarter and a region of space beyond by a disgruntled superior officer, starts pulling in stray misfits to act as his crew. At the same time pulling the reader into the story. This book, with all is action, is a page turner. His first 'crewmate' is rushed aboard in a firefight while his second 'crewmate' (a tiger striped lady of the evening) ends up trapped on his ship when he is forced to take off suddenly. He p
Gallandro_83
Sep 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The chaos quarter is an amazing start to a new sci-fi series. It is amazing that the author decided to explore the fact that humanity has quite a dark side that technology may not ever eradicate.

The different cultures we run across and Mr. Welch's dry humor throughout the novel marks this as one of the better new authors to explode into the genre.

Its obvious our story is only beginning and we can expect an intriguing and thought provoking tale that not only entertains but holds a mirror up to j
Danny
May 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recent-favorites
The story was fluid, the characters had their back stories and the author was pretty good at getting the science right. The author also seems to understand that some of his characters are more interesting than others and didn't spend a lot of time on boring scenes. I liked this book.

If you care for a comparison I would say that it's not as long-winded as Peter Hamilton's books but not as crass as John Scalzi's books.

I would probably compare it to Brian Daley's Han Solo series; as in something
Marsha Ford
Oct 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun story, with decently developed characters. Not the sort of tale where characters change and develop. Instead, it's more of an adventure story, which is just fine since it answers the mail. I did feel the main character got out of situations a little too easily at times. That changed later, fortunately, but it began to annoy me a bit in the beginning.

It's also a nice story setup for future books, and I would look forward to reading them.
Jessica Bindt
Jan 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Got this book as a First reads book. Even though I did not receive the first copy I was sent due to mail theft during the holidays. I was able to contact the contest holder and was quickly sent a new copy.
Started reading this and it was kinda of like the series Firefly and Star Trek massed together in a good mix. I due agree the book need to be a bit longer. Hopefully the author will write another book. Passing this book on to a Star Trek fan that will hopefully like this book.
Paul
Mar 18, 2015 rated it liked it
A good book for a trip

Honestly I've been really struggling with what I would say about this book. At times Welch feels a little unpolished, and at times he seems to exceed your expectations.
Simply put, I would definitely read the sequel if there was one, and there were some really interesting concepts, but for the most part it's a good quick read while you're in transit from A to B.
Jeffery
A fun read

I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next. Fast paced with great characters, the foundation is laid to launch an epic story... or it could stay small, the story of a group of misfits becoming a family as they make their way through a complex universe.
This story reminded me of Firefly, a bunch of strangers with something in common, their ship is the only home they have.
Amanda Meggs
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent. Rex is sent into unchartered space ostensibly to find out whyno one ever comes back, but actually because he offended his commander. He is given a ship that looks like a trader but has much better equipment and weaponry. Along the way he collects a crew from various nations, one a natural enemy of his people. They spend a lot of time fleeing to temporary safety and meet some pretty quirky characters. A fun romp through space.
Ktntx
Sep 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent first book. This is meant to be the launch of a new series and it is definitely worth reading. The plot definitely holds your attention while there is enough action to keep it from plodding. There are the usual editing errors that you see from a self published book but it is definitely worth the price.
Scot
Jan 04, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd give this one 3.5 stars if it was possible. I liked the characters ok, but this author can't write women very well (do they all have to be either a prostitute or sex slave that needs to be saved by a man?).

The universe he created is ok, and the story is fine. It moved along well and was a mostly fun read. Nothing special, but ok.
Michael Muller
A few chapters into this book, I thought "Oh, I get it; he's trying to make another Firefly." Having finished the novel, I don't think that's really a fair assessment. That's good; I'd've judged it a lot more harshly in that context -- that's some stiff competition. I'll read more by this author.
John P Court
Apr 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Sci-fi novel that won't let you put it down!

Chaos Quarter pretty much grabs hold of the reader from the very beginning. This is what I am looking for when I want a good read. Period! Get it and read it if you like great science fiction that makes you wish the storey wouldn't end. Can't wait for a sequel!
Cedar Sanderson
Nov 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So much fun! Hans Solo meets Firefly, this is a great space opera romp through hostile stars with monstrous aliens (who were once human) in hot pursuit. It reminded me how much I like competent, quiet heroes, and how fun character development right alongside and through action sequences can be.
Anton
Dec 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have not reach such as excellent "space opera" since the day I read Edmond Hamilton "Star Kings" in high school. It is fun, well-written, novel (no aliens) and has great, believable characters. All in all, its was a super-fun scifi novel to read; now I hope to see the saga continue.
Ricardo Restituyo
Dec 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very fun story. Self contained but with potential for a second book. I'm interested in seeing more of this universe. This has all the needed parts to become a TV series, kinda made me miss Firefly again.

• Demon Lord (New World, #1)
  • Sinister Magic (Death Before Dragons, #1)
  • Battle Bond (Death Before Dragons, #2)
  • Love's Stormy Gale
  • Lightning Strikes (Lightning Strikes #1)
  • The Perfect Blend (Welcome to Redemption, #3)
  • Alone, Untouched, Soulless (The Girl in the Box, #1-3)
  • Oath Taker (Kingdom of Runes, #1)
  • Wild Angel (The O'Byrne Brides Series, #1)
  • Love And Forgiveness (Christmas Cowboys Holiday Romance Series Book 3)
  • Wife in Name Only
  • Nobody's Boy
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
  • Balancer (Advent Mage Cycle #4)
  • Magus (The Advent Mage Cycle #2)
  • Jaunten (Advent Mage Cycle # 1)
  • Mrs. Eva Crabtree (Eva Crabtree's Matrimonial Services #1)
  • Justice Calling (The Twenty-Sided Sorceress, #1)

Chaos Quarter (4 books)
  • Imperial Ambitions (Chaos Quarter #2)
  • Horde (Chaos Quarter #3)
  • Wrath of the Hegemons (Chaos Quarter #4)