Start by marking “Shades of Treason (Anomaly, #1)” as Want to Read:
Shades of Treason (Anomaly, #1)

Shades of Treason

(Anomaly #1)

Ash would have given her life to save her teammates.
Instead, they gave their lives to save hers.

Lieutenant Ramie Ashdyn is an anomaly, a person whose genetic makeup makes her stronger and smarter than the average human. She’s pledged her life to protect the Coalition, an alliance of thirteen planetary systems, but when a top secret operation turns bloody, she’s charged
Published July 1st 2015 by Sandy Williams

To ask other readers questions about Shades of Treason, please sign up.
Sandy Williams I like to call it space urban fantasy. It's definitely science fiction, and it has a strong romantic element. I'm not sure if I would call it a…moreI like to call it space urban fantasy. It's definitely science fiction, and it has a strong romantic element. I'm not sure if I would call it a "thriller," though it might have some thriller elements. Does that answer your question?(less)

Start your review of Shades of Treason (Anomaly, #1)
Sandy Williams
Apr 23, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Yep. Adding this to my to-read list because I cannot freaking wait to be done with these edits. It'll be nice to read the story without having to make any tweaks. :-)
mich
I love action/adventure stories with romance and was hoping this would be a good one.

Ash is an elite soldier chick who is framed for the murder of her entire crew and finds herself reunited with the man who trained her, a stoic commander dude named Rykus, who's been tasked with getting information out of Ash about her last mission.

I LOVED this at first. There was good tension between Ash and Rykus. Ash's POVs were awesome (Rykus not so much, but whatever), the action scenes were exciting, and
Christen (GoldiloxReads)
Sandy Williams' Shadow Reader series is one of my favorite urban fantasies out there, so when I heard she had an upcoming sci-fi romance I jumped up and down with glee! I was not at all disappointed. Shades of Treason has non-stop action and is riddled with great characters, terrific twists and turns, and a promising romance.

Let's start with the obvious...this is sci-fi. Some of you might lean more toward fantasy and paranormal, as I tend to do. Make no mistake, this is definitely a science
Sunny
ARC Review: 3.5 stars

The story begins with Lt. Ramie Ashdyn being interrogated by Commander Rhys Rykus. Ash is an anomaly, a rare group of people with enhanced abilities. They represent only 2% of the known universe. Anomalies volunteer for loyalty training in which they choose to give up their free will in order to better serve The Coalition. Commander Rykus is a renowned trainer of anomalies. Ash was one of his students, the first female graduate of the program.

Ash has been trained to be
new_user
Jun 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romantic-scifi
Loved this Bourne in space adventure, starring a wrongly accused heroine and her former instructor/sometime CO. The suspense and romance plots married well here because only Ramie and Rhys' previous relationship allows them to win because who else will believe her innocence? Plus, Shades of Treason actually explores the ethics of a commander/subordinate relationship.

Ramie, the heroine, convinces as a soldier, which is rare in genre fic these days, because she's practical and deploys some
Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
Jun 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: SF/Rom-Sus Fans
Grade: B-

The beginning of Shades of Treason packs adrenaline-rushing action. I was on the edge of my seat and prepared for a great ride. A gripping conflict, crackling sexual tension, intrigue, and a coalition on the precipice of war - I buckled up for safety. Then, the ride lost some of its steam, yet I still felt very satisfied with Ms. William's new series. Fans of science-fiction and/or military-romantic-suspense may also enjoy SoT.

More to come...possibly. ;D

Bonnie
Oct 21, 2014 rated it liked it
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

‘All they need was a reason, a conspiracy. Learning that telepaths existed and that they had infiltrated the Coalition would make them suspect everyone. The senators already fought and argued and threatened to secede. She wouldn’t give them more fuel to burn their ties.’

Lieutenant Ramie Ashdyn and her team are sent on a mission by the Coalition to steal classified information from the Saricean’s but she is the only survivor. She is subsequently blamed for their deaths
She-Wolf Reads
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars; I'm a fan of Sandy Williams but this one just didn't work for me. It starts off strong but had some story elements that felt unclear, a sex scene that was totally out of place, and the pacing was a bit off for me as the story progressed.
TJ
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Man, this is a very hard book to rate and review. My feelings are totally bi-polar in so many areas, I’m not sure this will even make sense! BUT... here goes...
Overall, this book is a high-octane, edge-of-your-seat, non-stop, action-packed science fiction thrill ride. From the moment the first page is turned to the minute the last page is read the story never stalls. Usually that is a great thing (and it did keep me up until the middle of the night reading). The downside for me, however, was
Mei
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
I loved it!!! Really!!! Even if this is not stirctly a romance!

This is a gritty SF action movie made book! LOL

I admired the heroine, Ash, her determination and her force of will! She's gone through some of the toughest training and is the only woman ever to make it till the end! Even if she's an anomaly! WOW! Just WOW!

Her trainer, RIP, is also a very interesting character. He, as well as all the other people who are part of this military force, is tough as nails, but he hides well that Ash is
Linda
Jul 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Strong start to a new series. The story was a bit uneven at times, but the characters and "world" kept me engaged.

I'm not sure if this series is set up more as romance (so that this is the end of Ash and Rykus's story) or if they will be featured centrally in follow-up stories. Clearly, there are a lot of questions left unanswered at the end of this one (view spoiler)
Talltree
Aug 30, 2015 marked it as no-dnf-zzz-avoid  ·  review of another edition
DNF
Snarktastic Sonja
Mar 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: june2016-recs
I absolutely loved this book. It definitely ranks 4.5 stars. I couldn't put the darn thing down - the mystery of the whole thing really intrigued me. The characters were well drawn and developed. This whole book is a classic example of showing instead of telling - the author did not give us page upon page of glassy-eyed page development, she just landed us in her world and told her story. If this had any failing, it was that, perhaps, the world wasn't quite adequately developed and I'm not ...more
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
Shades of Treason is first rate space opera with a slowly building romance woven into the story line. Ash is an anomaly. She is smarter and stronger than the average human. The Coalition wants and needs anomalies to serve as soldiers but it does not trust them. Their solution is to wire their brains with a loyalty training that demands allegiance to the Coalition.

Commander Rhys Rykus is Ash’s fair safe, the person who can make her answer questions and follow orders. When Ash is the only
Cheryl La Pa
Jun 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!

I am a big fan of Ms William's Shadow Reader series and was delighted to hear that she had a new series out. And she did not disappoint. Shades of Treason is an impressive first book in the Anomaly series.

Loved the characters. Loved the sexual tension and banter between Rykus and Ash. Ash is one tough woman with a steely determination and iron will. Rykus is just as tough and determined as Ash, though unfortunately most of the time they are trying to achieve opposing goals.

Loved the
Alisa
Jul 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of action! Really loved the sci-fi plot. It was an intriguing world and I loved the characters.

I liked her other books as well so it's along the same line - just lots of action focusing on the plot rather than romance; however, the romance is there! Just bubbling away. I just loved the plot.

Borderstar
The premise and the intro to the story drew me in & I liked the initial chemistry between the MCs...but I didn't feel it quite delivered on expectations. I was also a bit dissatisfied with the ending...it felt a little...anti-climatic and not really giving us enough.

More thoughts to follow with a full review soon.
Linda (un)Conventional Bookworms
Shades of Treason is a gritty, dark Science fiction / Fantasy novel with harsh tones and a definite thriller-like feeling as well.

This and all my other reviews are originally posted on my blog (un)Conventional Bookviews
Wendy Darling
I had no idea this was happening! Yay.
Jasmine
Jun 09, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: indie
Urban fantasy romance IN SPACE.
Lyndi W.
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of action, very little romance, fade to black ending that's basically a cliffhanger.

I liked Ash's attitude, but it's hard to determine if her affections for Rykus are enhanced by the loyalty training. It makes things a little weird when I can't tell if she really loves him or if she's been brainwashed a bit too much. But I like the way these two characters play off each other and I'm very much interested in how things proceed between them while they try to save the universe.

I've got the
Christina
Jun 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
**This book was given to me in exchange for my honest review**

This is the first book that I've read by this author, and after reading this one I can definitely say that I would love to read more by her!

SHADES OF TREASON is a Sci Fi/ Fantasy book that follows Lt. Ramie Ashdyn (Ash), who is classified as an anomaly -- which is basically a person whose genetic composition makes them a stronger and more intelligent person. In comparison to the average human being. Ash dedicated her life to the
Pam Kinsey
Jul 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite genre so I was really looking forward to reading this one and I was not disappointed. Ash was definitely a badass and Rykus or RIP as she called him was the chief badass. RIP was so conflicted on what was going on with Ash and couldn't quite believe that she was innocent but also he couldn't believe her guilty. He sort of flip flopped back and forth but he was determined to keep her alive. When he was convinced of her innocence he was all in and the romance between them was ...more
Lindsay
Aug 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Military SF romance in the same vein as Rachel Aaron's Paradox series.

Ash is an Anomaly, essentially a mutant with physical and mental enhancement who has signed on with the Coalition military. The Coalition believes that Anomalies are unstable and require them to submit to a form of brainwashing where they fix their loyalty on an individual, dubbed their fail-safe. Ideally an Anomaly and his/her fail-sage would never come into contact after training, with the fail-safe deployed under extreme
Shelley
*Genre* Science Fiction, Romance
*Rating* 3.5-4

*My Thoughts*

Shades of Treason is the first installment in Sandy William's new Anomaly series. The series rockets off with Lieutenant Ramie (Ash) Ashdyn facing treason charges and unable to defend herself thanks to a powerful telepath putting a block on her mind. Ash and her team were sent on a mission to retrieve valuable information about the Saricean's and their new technology, and how it might affect the Coalition. What they found instead could
Cristina Buzoianu
Jun 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love Sandy Williams. I devoured her other series, The Shadow Reader. I felt like Shades of Treason was a bit too long and had too many details, but I enjoyed it too. The action scenes were great.
Feminista
When I read Sandy Williams' debut novel (another series) I disliked it.

It was angst, it had tropes I hated - because the romance aspect of it was that two boys were fighting over a girl's virginity. But I did like her writing. Her characters were well developed and her plot was well thought out.

So when Shades of Treason came out, I marked it as to-read but was hesitant to read it. Years passed, until finally I read it and it turned out to be one of my most favourite books.

The heroine in this
Caitlen
Apr 24, 2017 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the story, but the book itself read like a rough draft. Several passages were really choppy, and there were some unanswered questions about the world in general (ie the definition of an anomaly wasn't fully explained). That being said, I plan on reading the second book.
Celestine
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Edge of your seat action with a really healthy dose of sci-fi details. Well written. Interesting main and secondary characters. Loose threads galore at the end. Romance was a little lacking compared to the action sequences. Regardless, I immediately downloaded book two because it was a compelling SFR with emphasis on the sci-fi.
Nevada
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If this book was written by another author I would think it was fantastically well-done and be over the moon about it, but because it's written by Sandy Williams (a favorite of mine - seriously read her The Shadow Reader series) I was a little unhappy with it. The double standard is not fair, I know, but really she only has herself to blame for setting the bar so high with her last series.

So, I finished this book a week ago and couldn't quite figure out how to review it even though I thoroughly
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Girls, Guns and G...: Shades of Treason (Spoilers) July 2015 BOM 10 26 Jul 17, 2015 06:57PM
Girls, Guns and G...: Shades of Treason (Spoiler Free) July 2015 BOM 24 19 Jul 01, 2015 02:34PM
Goodreads Librari...: ASIN Missing 1 18 Jun 01, 2015 09:26PM

• Marvels and Misfits (Trixie Towers, #1)
  • Rules of Redemption (The Firebird Chronicles, #1)
  • The Queen's Advantage (Rogue Queen, #2)
  • The Queen's Gambit (Rogue Queen, #1)
  • Pathfinder's Way (The Broken Lands, #1)
  • Promise of Darkness (Dark Court Rising, #1)
  • Dark Deeds (Class 5, #2)
  • Wayfarer's Keep (The Broken Lands, #3)
  • Collision Course (8th Wing #1)
  • Mist's Edge (The Broken Lands, #2)
  • Overload Flux (Central Galactic Concordance #1)
  • Dark Minds (Class 5, #3)
  • Kingdom of Exiles (The Beast Charmer, #1)
  • Scales and Skeletons (Trixie Towers, #2)
  • Aurora Blazing (Consortium Rebellion, #2)
  • Sentinel (Galactic Gladiators; House Of Rone, #1)
  • Nightchaser (Endeavor, #1)
  • Alpha Hunger (Hordesmen, #1)
Sandy Williams graduated from Texas A&M University with degrees in political science and history. She worked as a librarian until her husband whisked her off to London on an extended business trip. Now, she’s back in Texas, writing full time and moonlighting as a librarian. Visit her on the web at www.sandy-williams.com.

Anomaly (3 books)
  • Shades of Honor (Anomaly #2)
  • Shades of Allegiance (Anomaly #3)