Start by marking “This Is Not a Werewolf Story” as Want to Read:
This Is Not a Werewolf Story

This Is Not a Werewolf Story

This is the story of Raul, a boy of few words, fewer friends, and almost no family. He is a loner—but he isn’t lonely. All week long he looks after the younger boys at One Of Our Kind Boarding School while dodging the barbs of terrible Tuffman, the mean gym teacher.

Like every other kid in the world, he longs for Fridays, but not for the usual reasons. The woods have secret
Published July 26th 2016 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about This Is Not a Werewolf Story, please sign up.
Sandra Evans Hi Mary! I'm so glad you liked it. That is wonderful to hear. I'm not sure why I didn't see your question earlier.
Yes, there will be a sequel. I am…more
Yes, there will be a sequel. I am working on the prequel right now, and when I've finished, I'll get back to Raul and Mary Anne.
Thanks so much!!!(less)
Sandra Evans Hi Finn,
I'm so glad you liked the book! I think there will be a sequel. Here's a question for you. Which character is your favorite?
If you'd like a…more
Hi Finn,
If you'd like a bookmark and some stickers, send a mailing address through the Contact page on my website (www.sandra-evans.com).
Thanks so much for reading my story.
Sandra
(less)

Katherine
”I am not a werewolf. I am not a monster.”

Synopsis: There’s a tween wolf in the closet, and it most definitely doesn’t want to be let out to breathe. Navigating boarding school is hard enough; but when you have a were-cougar who’s also trying to kill you, it just doesn’t make things any better.

Pros:
I’m Just a Tween and It’s Kind of a Nightmare: I remember what it was like to be a tweenager. Oh, those awkward years of adolescence when you’re too old to be considered a kid but too young to be co
Emily de Moura
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I first picked This is not a Werewolf Story up because of its cover. I saw it at Tumblr and immediately felt in love with it. It was sweet, curious and beautiful - and it had werewolf splattered over it. I was even more smitten when I picked it up with my own two hands - One of my best friends had bought it to me and added another layer of love to it.

Then I read it.

And my heart was so happy it could barely stay in my chest.

This is a story about Raul. Raul spends his weekdays at One Of Our Kind B
Linda
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Raul is a quiet boy, who lives at a boarding school in the northwest. The story unfolds little by little, releasing interesting tidbits about Raul, his teachers and classmates. He has had a tough life, and between his mom's leaving and his dad's distance, it is even harder at school. The weaving of relationships is well done here, and the gradual revelation of the magic of the woods gives just the right amount of anticipation. I enjoyed seeing the characters at the school develop, and learn who ...more
C.J. Milbrandt
Raul has always sort of looked out for the littler kids at the boarding school where he spends his weeks, but he doesn't exactly have friends. On the weekends, when everyone else's parents pick them up and take them home, Raul heads into the woods. Because he has a secret. Recipe cards and fishing rods. Lighthouses and Olympians. Territory and talking deer. White Wolf and One of Our Own.

A vivid cast of ordinary misfits whose lives intersect on the edge of White Deer Wood. Some of this is slice-
Laura AP
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is sooooooo cute. I loved every single part of it. Raul's voice makes for a great narration, and I just can say that it's a great and magical MG.
Raul's friends are wonderful and I loved how they built the concept of family and friendship in the book. I really can't say more about it without entering a loop, but suffice to say that if you love fantastic MG you should definetly pick this book up. The atmosphere, the plot and the characters are so lovely and I couldn't put the book down.
Sum Thang
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is not a Werewolf Story was awesome, I mean one was chapter was kinda scary and overtime the book was gets better and better and I would had stoped read the book but no because is just so interesting and the cover is awesome and i picked out this book by is cover and I thought it would boring!! But I was wrong. You that is reading this review should just leave and go the library and get this book because it was my favorite book of all time and the main character name is Raul By the way.
Amy
Aug 18, 2016 marked it as to-read
DNF @ pg 135

I was into the premise of the lone strange at the lone strange boarding school, but then the book got weird in a direction where I found myself not caring about what happened next. definitely a book best for readers who are comfortable inside middle grade fantasy
Debby Author
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing

This is Not a Werewolf Story by Sandra Evans sparkles with magic and mystery but it also possesses the sharp glint of danger and adventure.

The protagonist Raul protests too much about not being a Werewolf to be trusted, but his denial at the outset of the book and slow parsing out of details regarding his unusual condition contribute to the fun and suspense of the story. This is a clever first-person account of a boy who has faced more than his share of adversity attending a very special school
Echo
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully weird and wonderfully quirky, This is Not a Werewolf Story leads you on a path that you think you know, before turning you around and showing you that you didn’t know the whole story at all. The characters are charming and pleasantly complex, and the constant theme of choice vs complacency, as well as the constant undercurrent of “you will never know the whole story” make it a surprisingly real and impactful tale. Paced carefully with deliberate high speed mysteries and soft, touchin ...more
Lucinda
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute and enjoyable.

As this book was very middle grade I did have problems reading it a bit, since it felt so young, I plan on giving it to a little girl at my church who is ever and always asking about books.
Julie
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enoyable fantasy/adventure about one special student at a private boarding school trying to save his mother from an evil teacher.
Ben S
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Suze Lavender
Aug 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Raul goes to boarding school. He doesn't belong to any groups and doesn't have many friends there. He looks after the little kids at school and tries to stay out of trouble with his vicious gym teacher. Every student at Raul's school goes home for the weekend. Raul has a secret though. He pretends to go while he's actually staying. The reason for that is a beautiful white wolf. When they run he feels like he's home, which is why spending his weekends outside is so appealing.

Something changes for
Melissa Smith
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a review about a story that is not about a werewolf. It is about Raul, a boy that lives in a boarding school of sorts where all the kids go home during the weekend. While everyone else is with their parents, Raul is searching for answers to who his mother was. This leads him on a great adventure that teaches him that there is more to people that just what you see.

Raul is a loner that sneaks off to the woods every weekend where he turns into a wolf. While he is a wolf, he has White Wolf t
April
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
This story starts out really cheesy and slow but I had to give the author credit for making the main character sound like a real kid. I thought to myself "this author understands kids really well." which impressed me. It sounded like a kid wrote it, which is why a lot of the humour or descriptions sounded very odd and random. The humour was very cheesy and immature, further making me wonder "did a kid write this?" so I wasn't at all surprised to find out the author AND HER 9 year old son wrote i ...more
Kathy
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, childrens
First, Raul's mom disappeared, then he was sent to a boarding school and his father stopped visiting...and Raul stopped talking. But he has a secret: on the weekends he goes into the magical White Deer Woods near the school, and there he isn't alone. Unlike many fantasy books, Raul has a number of supportive (if sometimes clueless) adults around him, as well as the mysterious and mean PE teacher. Why does Mr Tuffman have it in for him so much? And is the popular new kid really his friend? Also u ...more
Emma
Jul 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-stuff
Good book, esp. for young readers, with plenty of adventure and mystery. You think you know the answers for sure but you're also kept second-guessing everything. Nothing overly amazing though, it won't exactly be at the top of my recommendation list.
Finn
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Really good. This deeply thrilling novel has a unique original story and plenty of twists. The writing is good and I hope there is a sequel. A must read for people who want to be authors or who just love reading.
Hoover Public Library Kids and Teens
This actually IS a werewolf story. But not in the usual sense.
🌀Amy🌛🌝🌜
I won this about a little over a month ago and just received the end of last week. I am very excited to read this to my boyos! <3
Dean Cummings
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Raul’s mom leaves him and his dad without a trace when he’s a very young boy. Distraught, lost and numb, Raul’s dad becomes more and more checked out as a parent, eventually he seems unable to carry out even the most basic of parenting skills. Finally, one day a social worker is called in, and when she sees the condition (or lack thereof) of Raul’s care, she recommends that Raul be sent off to a boarding school where Raul can be educated and taken care of during the week.

But the recommended boa
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Evans, Sandra This is Not a Werewolf Story, 336 pages. Atheneum Books For Young Readers (Simon & Schuster) 2016. $16.99. Language: G (0 swears, 0 "f"); Mature Content: PG; Violence: PG-13.

Shortly after the disappearance of his mother, Raul is sent to live in a boarding school during the week until his dad is able to come to grips with their new reality. As Raul's dad's visits become more and more sporadic and finally stop, Raul decides it's time to take control of his own life and not be le
Stacey Koch
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Liz Friend
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The story: Raul is a loner at his boarding school, saying little to anyone and living for the weekends, where he can disappear into the woods and meet up with his mother. People just wouldn't understand about his mother being a wolf (or him either). Little do they know that a notorious hunter of spirit animals is on her trail, and that Raul himself could be the one that leads him to her.

June Cleaver's ratings: Language G; Violence PG; Sexual content G; Nudity PG; Substance abuse G; Magic &
Angelina
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is not one to pass up. Richly written by Ms.Evans, I had a hard time sleeping. I just could not put it down! In doing so, I would not have been able to forgive myself. No, I will not compare this book to any other. It is far too extraordinary to do so! A classic in every right. Humorous,heartwarming, hope-inspiring. You can count on it. Now for the sequel! I cannot wait for Raul's next steps.
Best wishes,
Angelina Equus

Hannah Belyea
Jul 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Raul speaks little but is respected well enough at his school by the younger children, even if the other kids his age and the teachers look down on him for his lack of words. When a new kid shows up and begins to befriend him, Raul starts to wonder how deep the magic of the forest around him runs - and how much control he has over it. Evans takes readers on a mysterious journey through magic and emotions that, while filled with confused character development and bland pacing, does create a beaut ...more
Ava
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Woahhhh

I absolutely loved this book. Amazing.

Though I must admit I was confused around the middle of the book, with the Tuffman=cougar=Ferrier.

I also had STRONG feeling about the characters.
I liked Raul, but I think he forgives too easily.
Mary Anne is pretty cool, but I think she is convinced way too easily. Who should you trust, the boy you’ve been crushing on or the new kid who lies a ton?
I HaTED Vincent. I liked him in the beginning. But I knew that he stole the fishing pole from sparrow lik
Jessica Stinson
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
First things first: that artwork is g o r g e o u s. Totally stuck out to me and I just had to read it.

Story wise I found myself feeling a lot of connections with the different characters, and the progression of where the story went definitely made it a page turner for me.

The hardest thing for me was the way it was written. Yes it's meant for younger audiences, so really for the age group it's written for, totally nailed it! As an adult though, it came across as sometimes dull.

Overall, I'd defin
Vennela Kottapally
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The story This is not a Werewolf Story by Sandra Evans is an addictive story that did not let me put the book down. This book was a page-turner since it got very intense at times. One surprising moment was when the book says that Tuffman was Raul’s uncle. When I found out that Raul’s mom left him so that he could be safe from Tuffman I was eager to know why. Sadly, Tuffman was the gym coach in Raul’s school I had to know what Raul’s reaction would be. Hence, I think that This is not a Werewolf ...more
Alice, as in Wonderland
« previous 1 3 next »

• One Trick Pony
  • Pablo and Birdy
  • The Oceans Between Stars
  • Heartseeker (Heartseeker #1)
  • Searching for Super (Almost Super, #2)
  • Wet Cement: A Mix of Concrete Poems
  • Beast & Crown (Beast & Crown #1)
  • The Adventurer's Guide to Successful Escapes
  • Thresholds (Magic Next Door, #1)
  • Ambassador (Ambassador #1)
  • Sanity & Tallulah
  • The Last Panther
  • The Emperor's Ostrich
  • The Sand Warrior (5 Worlds, #1)
  • The Sword in the Stove
  • The Poet's Dog
  • The Voyage of Lucy P. Simmons
  • Teddy's Favorite Toy
Sandra Evans drew inspiration for This Is Not a Werewolf Story (Simon & Schuster, 7.26.16) from cultural sources, including the “sympathetic werewolf” stories of twelfth-century France, Celtic myths, and the folklore of the Pacific Northwest. She wrote the novel for (and with input from) her son. Sandra is a native of Whidbey Island and earned her doctorate in French literature from the Univer ...more