Start by marking “A Tail of Camelot (Mice of the Round Table, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Tail of Camelot  (Mice of the Round Table, #1)

A Tail of Camelot

(Mice of the Round Table #1)

Young mouse Calib Christopher dreams of the day when he will become a Knight of Camelot like his father and grandfather before him. For generations, Calib’s family has lived among the mice that dwell beneath the human Knights of the Round Table, defending the castle they all call home. Calib just hopes he will be able to live up to the Christopher name.

Then, on the night o
Published October 4th 2016 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about A Tail of Camelot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Tail of Camelot

Victoria Coe
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received an advance readers copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Every mouse of Camelot knows the motto by heart: 'Together in paw and tail, lest divided we fall and fail.' Young Calib Christopher, afraid he's not ready to become a true knight, is about to take that motto to heart.

"Being brave is not about lacking fear," his grandfather tells him. "If you are never scared, you will never understand what it means to be brave."

Calib is definitely afraid. As Camelot faces a mysterio
Bridget Hodder
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
MICE OF THE ROUND TABLE is an exciting, satisfying Middle Grade adventure in the tradition of REDWALL with a touch of the spirit of THE LORD OF THE RINGS!

Author Julie Leung creates characters we can really root for (as well as some truly dastardly villains). The foremost of these sympathetic characters is the sensitive, orphaned mouse Calib-- who has far too much to live up to as the last descendant of a brave, famous family line. The story also gives us the human ("Two-Legger") point of view, t
TheSkepticalReader
Someone please make a movie out of this. It’s just pure joy.
Stephanie (Reading is Better With Cupcakes)

Oh my goodness! A Tail of Camelot is so fun and cute!

It doesn't hurt that I am a huge fan of the time period that this book takes place in - the time in Camelot where Arthur is King. I love all the stories and mythology that surrounds this time period and the stories that go with it.

So obviously I really needed to read this book.

And I am so incredibly glad I did!

A Tail of Camelot has two sides of the story that you go long with. The majority of the time you are with the mouse Calib Christopher.
La La - Everyone's Crazy Aunt
This book was difficult to rate because it had so many great messages woven through it. There were not really any gender specific roles within the animal groups. There were examples of not judging others according to race (species), or color (fur). Smaller bullied groups came together, putting aside small differences, making a more formidable group for confronting their enemy. But then there were all of the battle related scenes. So much of the book was given over to war, training for war, and p ...more
Adriyanna Zimmermann
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
Maybe a 4.5. Slight spoilers in review.

At first glance, A TAIL OF CAMELOT by Julie Leung sounds like a cute MG novel - a retelling of King Arthur and Camelot set in the POV of small, anthropomorphic animals. While this is true, it turned out to be so much more - the rich detail and world-building reminded me of REDWALL and the in-depth characters and humour made me think of THE BLACKTHORN KEY. Leung wowed me with her debut novel - add her to your auto-buy list!

Leung really brings Camelot - the c
Elly Swartz
MICE OF THE ROUND TABLE is a delightful middle grade adventure with a very special hero. Calib tucks into your heart as you root for him throughout his travails. For those who loved the Red Wall series, (which includes both of my boys), they’ll want to scoop up their copy of Mice of the Round Table, find a chair, and settle in. This book kicks off what is sure to be a wonderful series!

I received an arc for an honest review of this story.
Amy
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, j-fiction
Torn between 3 and 4 stars.

Firstly, whoever decided to make the pages have deckle/uneven edges, I hate you. I had a hard time sometimes turning the pages, which was annoying during the many tense scenes when I needed to get to that next page quickly!

I definitely saw the influence of The Redwall series while reading this book. At first, it seemed intended for very very young readers, much younger than Redwall's. But then, as the battles intensified, things took a surprisingly dark turn. Redwall g
Deb
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-readers
This reminded me a great deal of Redwall by Brian Jacques. For me, that says everything that needs to be said. However, in this tale there are humans. Some of the animals interact with the two-loggers. Cannot wait to start the second book.
Edshara
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was so much fun! I love stories with talking animals and humans and this one was everything I expected. It was perfect for me. It had action, betrayal, heartbreak, triumph and great characters. It was a well written, fast paced, read. I loved how everything came together. I’m excited to find out what happens next.
Amanda Williams
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
It started kinda slow, but it was just a really fun story!
Vic James
Jul 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Read in one sitting, MICE OF THE ROUND TABLE is absolute perfection. It moves at breath-stealing speed, yet is layered in gorgeous, cherishable detail. it's entertaining, whimsical, yet at one point made me cry. Frankly, it's got 'future classic' written all over it.

There are two Camelots. That of the 'two-leggers': left-behind old knights, Arthur's lonely but resourceful queen, and a newly arrived page boy, Galahad. But we spend our time in the Camelot of beasts - mostly mice - who live in ever
Kid Book Reviewer
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thoughts: This book pulled me right in from the start and never let go! (I seriously forced myself to stay awake later because this was so good). For whatever reason, I (sadly) normally have low expectations for the books I'm offered to review, but A TAIL OF CAMELOT far exceded those expectations. I was pleasantly surprised by the engaging writing and dynamic characters. Calib is an extremely likable protaganist who's very relatable - the perfect hero for a book like this. The other characters w ...more
Jonah Lisa Dyer
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It's clever & fun & I can't wait to read it out-loud to my kids! It's a wonderful new entry into the genre we lovingly call, Rodent Adventure, and I know it will thrill the entire family. Perfect for readers of Desperaux, Redwall & The Green Ember but also anyone who loved The Once & Future King and wants to see things from a slightly different perspective. ;)
Sheri-lee
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun little read for kids age 8 plus. ;)
Rachel
“Together in paw and tail, lest divided we fall and fail.” That is what all the mice living in Camelot, living beneath the humans very own Round Table, believe and live by. Though the years of wars past have left their mark, the mice have lived peacefully in Camelot. Yet rumors and evil tidings spring up just as the young mice in training to be knights are about to have their tournament to test their skills. Young Caleb is a Christopher mouse, and hopes to prove himself as worthy of being a knig ...more
BAYA Librarian
Calib Christopher, a young mouse of Camelot, dreams of one day being a brave knight like his father and grandfather before him. On the eve of one of the hardest trials of all Camelot's young mouse pages, Calib's grandfather is killed. While everyone suspects the animals from the Darkling Forest, long-time enemies of Camelot's rodent residents, Calib suspects something else. Through his persistent questioning, Calib discovers something much larger is looming before them all. He sets off on a ques ...more
Miko
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-books
This was another re-imagining of the Arthurian Legend. It has both animals and humans, but focuses more on the animals. It has the characters from the legend like Arthur, Merlin, Lancelot, Percival, and Guinevere and it takes place in Camelot. I like that the story is a re-imagined tale with a new story as well as having new characters acting as a new Arthur and Merlin while having the human Arthur and Merlin in the story, if that makes sense. I like how there is a relationship between the human ...more
WhatBookNext .com
Age – 8+

Two stories in one that entwine as the lives of two kingdoms are at stake.

Calib Christopher is a shy, quiet mouse – nothing like his father or grandfather who were brave mouse knights in battle, and strong rulers of their kingdom – under the floors of Camelot.

Calib wants nothing more to be a honoured knight and carry on the revered Christopher name, but courage is something he hasn’t found yet. When there is an attack on one of their leaders, their kingdom is quick to blame the Darklings
Rachel Meyer
I originally picked this book up because who can resist a punny title? (See what I did there?) But once I started reading it, I couldn't put it down. I read most of the book in one day.

It reminded me of a mix between Redwall and The Tale of Despereaux. The world was well built with just a touch of magic. I really liked the way she combined human and animal worlds, even if they couldn't talk to each other.

Calib was a great little protagonist. He was a bit cowardly in the beginning, but as the boo
Matt Eanes
Intermediate Juvenile Fiction.
A Tail of Camelot tells the story of a mouse named Calib Christopher who one day has dreams of becoming a knight of the round table. His family has protected Camelot for generation from threats of many sizes all while being hidden from humans. A new threat lurks on the horizon and now is the time for human and mice alike to cooperate to save the kingdom. Calib must stand up to the challenge and rally both sides if the kingdom is to survive.

A Tail of Camelot touches
Aletha
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been looking forward to this book since I first read about it. Waiting for it to finally come out was maddening! I was not disappointed in the least. I love this book. I am a huge fan of fighting mice - ever since I read about Reepicheep from the Narnia series.

I was really happy with the fact that there were also female knights in this story and that male and female animals were involved with the fighting. I loved the complexity of a lot of the characters, especially the Darklings like Le
Emily
Another great First Reads giveaway! Yeah!

Cute middle grade tale (tail!) of Camelot where mice are equally charged with protecting the castle by a pact with Merlin. As the castle faces another Saxon invasion, both human and animal, castle creatures and woodland creatures must band together with each other and with the human inhabitants to defend the Camelot. The task of uniting and leading the armies falls to the smallest in each group - young Calib mouse and young Galahad. Will they succeed in u
Mrs.Melaugh Melaugh
Nov 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Calib Christopher is a young mouse who lives in Camelot. He is training to become a Knight like his father and grandfather. The Camelot animals fear the Darklings, animals who live outside the castle, with whom they have an uneasy truce based on an incident in the past where both sets of animals repelled an attack by Viking weasels. Meanwhile, in a parallel story, Galahad arrives at Camelot for the first time to begin his training as a knight. All the elements of classic King Arthur adventures a ...more
Amber Jackson
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thrilling!

This book started out soft and calm, with poor Calib worrying about his training. This book would help avid readers understand the thrill of a battle, the great loss of a friend, the burden of a crush when fighting rages around you. This book had me on the edge of my seat, terrified of every new turn with the Saxon. Leftie made the most thrilling aspect when the encounter in the forest happened, and I swear he made me cry at points. His story, while not the best because he was evil for
Miss Amanda
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
gr 4-6 295 pgs

Fantasy animals. The story alternates between pages mouse Calib and human Galahad both of whom are trying to live up to their family names but without success. When tragedy strikes upsetting the fragile peace between the Camelot mice and the Darklings and it appears the Saxons are threatening to invade, it is up the Calib and Galahad to save Camelot!

Great story! Readers who enjoy King Arthur retellings as well as readers who enjoy the Redwall or Swordbird series will enjoy this. Bo
Cynthia Egbert
Jan 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: library
This was a cute story and I liked it but I am not sure that I will continue the series. This was recommended to me due to my obsession with all things Arthur, but this one takes a bit more license with the legend than I am comfortable with. This is definitely a middle grade school book and I will be recommending it to that age group but not so much for any adults.
Liana
Ummm... WOW. I wasn't looking down on this book or anything... but I didn't expect it to be THIS good. O_O Holy Moses. I shall have to write a full review for it once I've collected all my mind-blown thoughts together. This book is a hidden gem for sure!
Lisa
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was hard to put down! I enjoyed the characters and the parallel worlds of the animals of Camelot and the 2 leggers. I am so glad this is a series and am looking forward to reading more adventures.
Mary
Picked this book up on a complete whim simply for it’s adorable cover and name. I definitely didn’t think it would be this good but this book was great!!! Cute, funny, adventurous, and I loved the main character. I hope to get around to the next books of the series!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Traitor of Belltroll (The Balance Keepers, #3)
  • My Little Pony: Friends Forever, Volume 1
  • The Peddler's Road (The Secrets of the Pied Piper, #1)
  • The Magic Mistake (Oh My Godmother, #2)
  • Oliver and the Seawigs
  • Mr. Wolf's Class (Mr. Wolf's Class, #1)
  • Almost Super (Almost Super, #1)
  • Cleo (Cleo #1)
  • Give it Up! and Other Short Stories
  • 100% Wolf
  • The Quest of the Warrior Sheep (The Warrior Sheep, #1)
  • Dead Boy
  • The Secret of Dreadwillow Carse
  • Ravenous (Monstrous, #2)
  • Miss Ellicott's School for the Magically Minded
  • Charis: Journey to Pandora's Jar
  • Hensel and Gretel: Ninja Chicks
  • Fork-Tongue Charmers (The Luck Uglies, #2)
JULIE LEUNG was raised in the sleepy suburbs of Atlanta, Georgia, though it may be more accurate to say she grew up in Oz and came of age in Middle-earth.

By day, she is the marketing director for Random House’s sci-fi/fantasy imprint, Del Rey Books.

In her free time, she enjoys furtively sniffing books at used bookstores and winning at obscure board games. Her favorite mode of transportation is th

Mice of the Round Table (3 books)
  • Voyage to Avalon (Mice of the Round Table #2)
  • Merlin's Last Quest (Mice of the Round Table #3)