Start by marking “I Am Henry Finch” as Want to Read:
I Am Henry Finch

I Am Henry Finch

This is a book about Henry Finch who strives for greatness, gets it all a bit wrong, then makes it right again in a very surprising way – truly becoming great. Henry Finch is a total inspiration. This is an inspirational book. It is also very funny. I Am Henry Finch is a book for everyone – from the very young to the very old. It is for dreamers, philosophers, artists, the ...more
Published January 1st 2015 by Walker Books Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about I Am Henry Finch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Am Henry Finch

Emma
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book, animals
"I think, therefore I am." A picture book about a philosopher finch who breaks away from the flock and inspires others to do the same.
Eva Kelly
So this bird Henry gets eaten by this big monster and when he's inside him, he tricks that monster into opening his mouth and letting him go, and Henry goes off and tells the other birds who he is. "I am Henry Finch."
But SEE... THIS is what I don't get. At the beginning of the story, all those other birds already said "Hello Henry Finch" and "Good night Henry Finch" and all that. So they already knew who Henry was, and he knew who they were, too.
So how come he had to tell them AGAIN?
And then at
Tamsin
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Such a fun, clever book about thinking for yourself, being your own unique person (helped wonderfully by the different, individual fingerprint of each finch) and not listening to the bad thoughts inside you. It's a kind of mindfulness meditation that Henry Finch engages with, within the belly of the beast - to stop, listen and challenge. I really enjoyed this book.
Danielle
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked how the illustrated had used finger prints to create the characters, it brings individual identity as everyone has a different finger print. An easy concept to bring to the classroom, especially as an icebreaker challenge "who am I?"
Jamie
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Source: 2016 USBBY Outstanding International Books List
*Read via youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcUry...

I am Henry Finch is a simple, motivating and entertaining children's book. Henry is part of the finch family. They participate in the same routine morning, noon, and night. The Finch family also lives in constant fear of "the beast" and scurry to the top of tree to escape "the beast". One day, Henry takes it upon himself to take on "the beast" rather than fly to the top of the tree a
Dale Harcombe
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
I was expecting to love this book as I thought the idea of using a thumb print to create Henry Finch is was both clever and cute. After reading about this book, I really liked the premise that each person is special. It starts off with the finches in a great flock making a racket. However the next pages became repetitive . Then we encounter the Beast which frightened the finches. By the time it got to Henry Finch thinking and wondering if he was the ‘first finch to ever have a thought,’ I had lo ...more
Adele
Jan 16, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is beyond creepy. I have no idea who the intended audience is. Prospective cult leaders perhaps?
Andrea
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
'Cogito ergo sum'. The best picture book I have ever read. It is smart, captivating and intriguing for one's mind. Suitable for people of every age. I also loved the idea of employing fingerprints to give life to those finches.
PSHE: I would use it for a Philosophy for children session, shared reading and questioning, writing session.
Phaea Crede
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book may have changed the way I view picture books. This is a philosophy lesson for children that boils down to "think for yourself" but also inspires introspection on a level I've not really see in a children's book before. Deacon takes the phrase "into the belly of the beast" and plays it out both abstractly and literally, leading to one of the most satisfying endings I've had the pleasure of discovering while reading to my 4 year old. The illustrations are dark and intriguing, the "circl ...more
Barbara
Cleverly rendered illustrations created with pen, watercolor, and fingerprints accompany a philosophical story about making changes. A flock of finches follow the same routine, day in and day out. They greet each other noisily, and try to avoid the beast that interrupts their daily routine ever so often. But one bird, Henry Finch, awakens one morning with thoughts of possible greatness that lead him to take risks and inspire the others to do so also. I smiled when Henry could hear the beast's th ...more
Ayesha Hussain
Feb 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this book, it showed how everyone is unique in there own way.. Using the finger print to creat the characters I felt was a really good way of allowing children to have a physical representation of something we hold as humans which is our own, something unique to us.
Melissa Rochelle
Henry is a finch and one day he has a thought...and it gets him into trouble. But luckily his thoughts are so powerful he can make a beast become a vegetarian. The illustrations are cute, but the story was eh.
Nella
Jul 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Thinking for yourself can be dangerous
Arwen Ungar
What?
Michael Earp
Oct 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic! A bit whack and very cute! Just how I like 'em!
Sunah Chung
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is about Henry Finch who eagers to become greatness. Every day, his friends do the same things recursively such as saying “Good morning” or “Good afternoon”. One day, when a beast appears and other friends fly away to escape, Henry Finch makes up his mind to do something great and rushes to the beast. However, the beast swallows Henry Finch, and while Henry Finch is in the beast's stomach, he realizes what it means to think for one's self. Without losing his mind and giving in to dead, ...more
Arminzerella
Henry Finch might be the first finch ever to have had an independent thought. Normally, it was too noisy among the other finches, but one night when everyone else is asleep, he is able to hear his thoughts. And he likes them! Feeling confident, Henry decides to take on the Beast, who has been terrorizing their flock, and he gets eaten. But while he’s hanging out in the Beast’s esophagus, he has lots of time to think, and as his thoughts become louder and louder, they become audible to the Beast, ...more
Ellen Clarke
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A story about a finch that inspires his flock to break free through the power of his own thoughts. Henry finch’s self belief allows him to think for himself and to use his own thought process as a positive, inspiring one as he battles with a beast. Henry doesn’t allow the bad thoughts inside of him to stop him escaping as he’s even able to convince the beast to stop, listen and change. Resulting in an amazing outcome for them both.
This book is purely unique ( each finch also has a unique finger
Kelly
This was an incredibly random book. There was no definitive point to it. The story starts out okay. It tells of these many, many finches who live in great big flocks and all make a bunch of noise. It was mainly about a finch who gets eaten by a monster and, through some type of mind trick, convinces the monster to let him go. Very strange. And the illustrations? The finches are red fingerprint bodies with the rest of the parts drawn on, while every other illustration is simply an illustration. T ...more
Olivia
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
- Encourages young children to not always follow the crowd and that it can be good to try new and exciting things.
- Shows children that it doesn't matter who you are, anyone and everyone can make a difference no matter how big or small that may be.
- It also explains to children how you shouldn't give up straight away if something doesn't go right straight away (perserverance).

- You could use the idea of fingerprinting to allow children to make up there own story about what they really want to
Annie Zagorec
This book is a great read for all audiences young and old. It is funny and entertaining to read to a class. You can use this book to show students how they are all different and unique from one another like Henry. This book can also be used for many different classroom activates to have the students show their unique characteristics about themselves. Overall you can get many different activities from this book.
Roz Pinar
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
This was a very random, interesting and challenging book aimed for older children I suppose. I liked how the illustrate had used fingerprints to create the character. This shows to the reader and the engager that everyone is unique in order of their physical representation. The confusing bit was when we first knew who Henry Finch was but in the middle of the story when the monster ate him, he flew back out and said to the other finches 'I am Henry Finch'.
Erin Puskas
I Am Henry Finch is one of the cutest books I have ever read. It follows Henry Finch, who one day has a thought and is aware of it. He uses this newfound ability to gain confidence to be great and conquer the beast that has been troubling the finch family. Henry uses his thoughts to reach the beast and convince him to only eat plants from now on and to release him. After being released, Henry explains to the rest of the finches what he has done and inspires them to all be great as he had been. A ...more
Helen
Mar 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: ea300
This little book surprised and amused me. I was not expecting the story to go the way that it did; a little bit absurd, like any good fairytale. I liked that the illustrator used fingerprints for the finches, I thought that was pretty clever that something so distinct could be used to portray the initially clone-like finches. I also though it was great that she chose different fingerprints for each of them
Brandy Watkins
I am not sure if this is a strong connection, but, I like how Henry Finch finds himself through thought. He begins to think and learn who he is, which is why I like how all the birds are made of finger prints... each bird has their own identity and thoughts like finger prints which are uniquely designed. This simple story encourages children to never give up and to never be afraid of their thoughts. All of what they think can positively impact their life.
Tahlor Kimble
I thought this book was really creative because the finches were made out of thumb prints. This was one of the first things I noticed about the illustrations and I thought it was such a great idea. After reading this story with children you could have them make their own finch with their names and thumb prints. The illustrations overall were simple but also very cute and creative. I thought this story was also pretty humorous as well.
Kathryn Thornton
Aug 26, 2018 rated it liked it
RhiannaH
Inspirational. Sharing this book with a younger audience can be the perfect starting point for encouraging them to follow their thoughts, be brave to try new things and dream about anything because anything can be possible for them.
Christina Reid
Nov 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute picture book about the power of thought. I really liked the illustrations, particularly the beast's face when Henry starts challenging his thoughts! I also enjoyed the way the story ended, leaving it open for children to continue or create their own views of what the finches do next.
Myklyn Reakes
One day, a small bird wakes up and hears himself think for the first time. Since he is a finch, everyone lives together and makes a ton of noise. He hears that he could be great and so he tries to be. Something unexpected happens though, and the reader will be shocked!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Rock What Ya Got
  • Everywhere, Wonder
  • Somewhere Else
  • The Silver Button
  • Ike's Incredible Ink
  • Teacup
  • Chee-Kee: A Panda in Bearland
  • Man on the Moon (A Day in the Life of Bob)
  • I Don't Draw, I Color!
  • Some Monsters Are Different
  • Spots in a Box
  • The Day War Came
  • Alphonse, That Is Not OK To Do!
  • A Funny Little Bird
  • Construction
  • I Need A Hug
  • Bird Talk: What Birds Are Saying and Why
  • Little Bird's Bad Word
Alexis Deacon is an acclaimed author and illustrator. Beegu and Jitterbug Jam, both of which he illustrated, were named as New York Times Best Illustrated Children’s Books of the Year. He lives in London.