Start by marking “The Brightest Fell (October Daye, #11)” as Want to Read:
The Brightest Fell (October Daye, #11)

The Brightest Fell

(October Daye #11)

Things are slow, and October "Toby" Daye couldn't be happier about that. The elf-shot cure has been approved, Arden Windermere is settling into her position as Queen in the Mists, and Toby doesn't have anything demanding her attention except for wedding planning and spending time with her family.

Maybe she should have realized that it was too good to last.

When Toby's mother
Published September 5th 2017 by DAW

To ask other readers questions about The Brightest Fell, please sign up.
Coral This is not the finale. The last book that's contracted is ALSO not the finale (unless the publisher fails to renew their contract with McGuire, so pl…moreThis is not the finale. The last book that's contracted is ALSO not the finale (unless the publisher fails to renew their contract with McGuire, so please keep buying and reading these books! :)). It's just a popularity thing. (less)
Coral Yes, and it's Mary Robinette Kowall again! (I hope they never change readers; she is SO GOOD.) https://www.audible.com/pd/Sci-Fi-Fan...

Start your review of The Brightest Fell (October Daye, #11)
Choko
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*** 4.44 ***

A buddy read with the Wednesday UF group @ BB&B, because we LOOOOOVEEEE the Sea Witch!!!

Holy Karaoke Evil Amandine!!! WTH is wrong with this woman??? I can't believe any parent can ever be so clueless about her children's well being... I think all of those pure-bloods Fae and most of the First Born need a spanking and to be given a mandatory 2 years of life among humans as regular humans themselves, in order to hopefully learn some decency and generosity of spirit. Not that all of us
Bradley
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC!

Unfortunately for me, I have so much I want to talk about for this novel, and yet almost ALL of it becomes spoiler territory!

Ugghh.

But! I think this is one of the strongest Daye novels since the battle with Blind Michael and even more interesting in a way or two than Toby's eventual falling in love with the King of Cats.

I'm sure I can get away with saying that her mother features very strongly and the consequences are very dire and the feels are very deep. I can
Robin (Bridge Four)
I love that this is one of those series that gets better almost every book. I really had no idea that when I read Rosemary and Rue all those books ago that I was eventually going to fall in love with this series. Part of that is because Rosemary and Rue was a little bleak and depressing for about the first quarter of the book but since book three I’ve been completely hooked.

Our story starts off a little on the happy side with one of the funniest into chapters in a series I’ve read for awhile as
Jo
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE who loves UF!

4.5 Stars Buddy read with the fantastic UF Wednesday Group over at BB&B. Yay, a new October Day book!!!!!!!

….monsters were made from the best of intentions….

Oh how wonderful it was being back in this fantastic world Seanan McGuire has created.

For once it seems as if things just might be going October “Toby” Daye’s way. Nobody is trying to kill her, there’s no one who needs saving and all she needs to be doing is planning her wedding to the King of Cats and enjoying her bachelorette p

Steven
The Brightest Fell

First and foremost, thank you to Netgalley and Berkley/DAW for approving me for an ARC in one of my absolute favorite series. I was given a copy of this book to read in exchange for nothing more than an honest review.

Seanan McGuire is one of the best writers I've had the pleasure of reading. She knows how to set up the action, to build the plot to the explosive scenes you know are coming, but somehow seem to still usually subvert expectations and provide an even better result t
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Brightest Fell (October Daye, #11), Seanan McGuire

When Toby's mother, Amandine, appears on her doorstep with a demand for help, refusing her seems like the right thing to do...until Amandine starts
Kira
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it

Finally Amandine made an appearance!!! I had been waiting so long for this. It certainly wasn’t what I was expecting. Amandine is a formidable woman. She makes the Luidaeg look sweet and sane, and she’s known as the sea witch. I have the feeling this book only showed one side of her personality. As someone who loves psychology, I’m curious to see what makes her tick and why exactly she feels the way she does about Toby. I think there’s a lot more to it than meets the eye.

Since these boo
Beth
When I hear that Seanan McGuire wrote it, I know that I’m in for another perfect literary escape.

Toby finds herself in a precarious situation and the people that she has learned to depend on the most have been taken. She must depend on her own wits while leaning on the one person she should never trust.

And it all comes down to family…Amandine, Toby’s mother finally shows herself and for Toby this is not a good thing.

To put it frankly, I can’t say much more about the plot of this book without g
Hollis
I can't believe it. I truly can't. But we finally hit a book I.. liked? Enjoyed? Was moved by? Wow. Eleven books and finally an almost-winner.

I won't say every aspect of this worked for me (this isn't a five star, or even a four), but we got so close. And the bits that annoyed me? I mean, they were standard and expected at this point. But they were also very much in the minority.

This book continued the thread of unravelling and explaining much of the why of went on in the first book and what sh
Emma
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I wanted to moan about the price of this book and the fact it is not available in kindle however the story was too good and all encompassing. Poor Toby. Can nothing ever go right for her for more than a day or two. I love her self made family and the relationship she has with Quentin, Jazz and May. In this story we meet more of her family and NOT in a good way. The story leaves Toby and her family in a vulnerable place. Enough so that, despite the excessive price, I have been compelled to buy Ni ...more
Lindsay
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Pureblooded faerie are assholes. That's the premise of this one, with Amandine paying October a visit and charging her with an impossible task and taking a terrible collateral in the process.

After Amandine assigns Toby her task, the author spends the rest of the book in dialogue with the premise as Ocotber is forced to take on Simon Torquill as her ally, a pureblooded faerie that has been an asshole to her in the past, but is a walking knot of contradictions. This book also ties a bow on several
Susana

Well this one started out with a bang, but towards the end I was fervently wishing for it to end asap.
I've read all the previous books, probably all the shorts as well, so I'm familiar with this world. This means that having the same old things, the same old stories, the same old - character _ quirks thrown at me at infinitum became tiresome. And depressing...
Why is it that when a series starts going downhill, the publisher decides to publish it in hardback?

Full review to come...
Bea
"For once, everything in October “Toby” Daye’s life seems to be going right." - I knew that wasn't going to last. Poor Toby rarely catches a break. Besides, it would be a short book if there wasn't a conflict or catastrophe. :D The book opens with Toby's bachelorette party which was a hoot to read. But, In no time, Amandine shows up on Toby's doorstep and makes a request/demand. And oh boy, Amandine plays dirty. She is not nice. I didn't remember her being quite so cold or vicious in her earlier ...more
Maria Dimitrova
Buddy read with my dear friends of the UF Group.

Amandine needs to die. And her spoiled brat of a firstborn daughter too. In fact Toby should dial herself back to a more mortal body and learn to cast iron bullets for submachine gun and go on a rampage. I hate, hate, hate Amandine and August! My hate for them overshadowed my joy of being reunited with all my favorite characters of this series!

The book started so well. In fact it started with some of the funniest, most joy inducing sentences I've e
Jessica Rodrigues
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
THIS SERIES IS SERIOUSLY ADDICTIVE.

Read at your own peril.

It's difficult, if not impossible, to describe the plot without releasing major spoilers concerning the earlier books, so I'll avoid it.

A quick rundown of the series for the uninitiated: October is a half-human, half-fae woman who has lived her life awkwardly straddling the real world and the world of the fae. Her magic is related to blood, but her true strength is in her intelligence, combat training, and uncanny (yet not magical) abilit
Ina
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Sometimes the places that should be home aren't," Simon said. "Sometimes there's no one we can blame for that, and so we blame ourselves, because aren't we the easiest targets? It's not like anyone will come to our defense when all the loathing and finger-pointing is happening in the privacy of our own minds."
"Aren't you supposed to be the bad guy here?" I asked.
"My apologies. I forgot my place for a moment."

I love Simon so much. He is such a sweetheart. He has done terrible things for what see
Pippa DaCosta
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult
So, so good.

UPDATE: a kind book fairy reached out and offered me a copy on behalf of the author. Thank you!

Ugh. I'm in the Uk. The only available format is hardcover at £17 /$20 and a two month delivery time? No kindle option and no paperback option.

*sigh*
All Things Urban Fantasy
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
THE BRIGHTEST FELL is an entertaining mix of the comfort of an adventure between well established characters with the dissonance and uncertainty of new blood thrown into the mix. This deep into the series, October Daye's group of irregulars are beloved and entertaining, it is the unexpected appearance of her biological family that throws a wrench into the mix.

The mysterious truth behind Toby's heritage has been the last minute magical save in many a previous October Daye adventure, but it was a
Lana *Lifeinwordsandlyricscom*
Ah, I've been waiting for this. August is here and she's exactly how I pictured her. She kinda reminds me of my own sister, only my family is half as crazy. At least I'd like to think so.

Over and out
Devann
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another amazing yet infuriating book in this series. I feel like I've been saying that about the last three books, but the villains are all so horrible and incredibly easy to hate lol. Amandine is the literal worst and it is entirely incomprehensible to me that she doesn't understand why Toby hates her, but I guess purebloods just be like that sometimes all the time. Also Seanan, how dare you make me fall in love with Simon???? What is this??? I didn't sign up for Simon Torquill feels and yet yo ...more
TJ
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, arc, audiobook
Worst October Daye in the series it needed more Tybalt

Ronda
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-favourites
Well wasn't this just perfect! Loved this novella, loved April's story and what a fantastic ending.
Karina Webster
Best book so far. Soo good!
Jen Davis
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The more things change in this series, the more they stay the same. And that make sense in a world that features characters who have lived hundreds of years if not more. Since the very first book in the series Toby has faced so much prejudice and disdain for being a changeling. We have seen the fae characters wrinkle their noses at any and all beings they considered lesser. In many ways, this precept stands above all other things. And it rings more true than ever here.

The story begins with Toby
Wanda
Angels are bright still, though the brightest fell.

Here I am, eleven books into the October Daye series, still enjoying it immensely. This is one of the books which is tough on Toby—she learns that hard, hard lesson that we sometimes have to learn. Your family doesn’t always have your best interests at heart. Sometimes you have to lean on your friends, lean on them hard, and trust your own instincts and abilities.

People can surprise you—Simon Torquill certainly plays that role in this book. Sim
Ronda
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-favourites
There is always something compelling about the October Daye series, something that draws my attention to every single chapter, every single page and each written word. Seanan McGuire writes this series with a magical imagination!

The Brightest Fell is probably one of my favourites in the series, the emotions from reading this were not expected, Simon played a big part in this book and he drew me in, I did not expect my feelings to change because of his past but boy was I wrong. However,
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
All right, book 11 in a series is perhaps not the best book to start with. But, I "discovered" Seanan McGuire thanks to her Wayward Children series and thought I try this, the latest book to see if it's to my liking.

Now, the book is perfectly all right, it was a lot to take in, a lot of characters to get to know, and a lot of history, but I enjoyed learning more about Toby, her friends, and family, etc. However, the story was a bit slow, with the hunt for Toby's sisters August not awfully thrill
Katie
BUT NOW WHAT DO I READ?

(view spoiler)
Lexxi Kitty
I did not like this one. There's only so many stories I can read filled with . . . I can't think of the right words at the moment. All that I can think of seem wrong - bitter characters, whiny characters forced to do what they have the power to do but don't want to do, etc. Characters that react instead of act.

Has Toby ever acted of her own accord? She seems to always be reacting. Like here - 1) sister-fetch May wants to hold a party for Toby's upcoming - currently unscheduled wedding. So she do
Marta Cox
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Four and a half
After so many books the author has clearly decided to take things up a notch and I have to say this book just kept hammering away at any preconceived ideas about the characters within this world. I think I'm probably used to Toby having to bloody a few people up in order to save the day but this time it's going to take a lot more than nifty knife skills to solve her problems.
Toby's mother isn't exactly the warm fuzzy type and I'm not revealing too much when I say their relationsh

• Home Improvement: Undead Edition
  • Smoke Bitten (Mercy Thompson, #12)
  • Spells for the Dead (Soulwood #5)
  • A Fantasy Medley 2
  • Emerald Blaze (Hidden Legacy, #5)
  • Shattered Bonds (Jane Yellowrock, #13)
  • Grave Ransom (Alex Craft, #5)
  • Grave Visions (Alex Craft, #4)
  • Sweep with Me (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4.5)
  • Storm Cursed (Mercy Thompson, #11)
  • American Demon (The Hollows, #14)
  • Sweep of the Blade (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4)
  • Curse on the Land (Soulwood, #2)
  • Peace Talks (The Dresden Files, #16)
  • Grave Destiny (Alex Craft, #6)
  • Grave Dance (Alex Craft, #2)
  • Grave Memory (Alex Craft, #3)
  • Circle of the Moon (Soulwood, #4)
Hi! I'm Seanan McGuire, author of the Toby Daye series (Rosemary and Rue, A Local Habitation, An Artificial Night, Late Eclipses), as well as a lot of other things. I'm also Mira Grant (www.miragrant.com), author of Feed and Deadline.

Born and raised in Northern California, I fear weather and am remarkably laid-back about rattlesnakes. I watch too many horror movies, read too many comic books, and

October Daye (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Rosemary and Rue (October Daye, #1)
  • A Local Habitation (October Daye, #2)
  • An Artificial Night (October Daye, #3)
  • Late Eclipses (October Daye, #4)
  • One Salt Sea (October Daye, #5)
  • Ashes of Honor (October Daye, #6)
  • Chimes at Midnight (October Daye, #7)
  • The Winter Long (October Daye, #8)
  • A Red-Rose Chain (October Daye, #9)
  • Once Broken Faith (October Daye, #10)