Start by marking “The Brightest Fell (October Daye, #11)” as Want to Read:
The Brightest Fell (October Daye, #11)

The Brightest Fell (October Daye #11)

4.37  ·  Rating details ·  3,752 Ratings  ·  496 Reviews
For once, everything in October “Toby” Daye’s life seems to be going right. There have been no murders or declarations of war for her to deal with, and apart from the looming specter of her Fetch planning her bachelorette party, she’s had no real problems for days. Maybe things are getting better.

Maybe not.

Because suddenly Toby’s mother, Amandine the Liar, appears on her
Published September 5th 2017 by DAW

To ask other readers questions about The Brightest Fell, please sign up.
Coral Yes, and it's Mary Robinette Kowall again! (I hope they never change readers; she is SO GOOD.) https://www.audible.com/pd/Sci-Fi-Fan...
Helen Brown I don't know anything about the UK release date, but sellers other than Amazon quote quicker delivery dates for the US hardback - e.g. Book…moreI don't know anything about the UK release date, but sellers other than Amazon quote quicker delivery dates for the US hardback - e.g. Book Depository, Wordery. Not sure what Forbidden Planet's delivery times are but they seem to currently have the best price online, and the London store might even have the hardback, they've had the US paperbacks previously.(less)

Choko
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*** 4.44 ***

A buddy read with the Wednesday UF group @ BB&B, because we LOOOOOVEEEE the Sea Witch!!!

Holy Karaoke Evil Amandine!!! WTH is wrong with this woman??? I can't believe any parent can ever be so clueless about her children's well being... I think all of those pure-bloods Fae and most of the First Born need a spanking and to be given a mandatory 2 years of life among humans as regular humans themselves, in order to hopefully learn some decency and generosity of spirit. Not that all o
Bradley
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC!

Unfortunately for me, I have so much I want to talk about for this novel, and yet almost ALL of it becomes spoiler territory!

Ugghh.

But! I think this is one of the strongest Daye novels since the battle with Blind Michael and even more interesting in a way or two than Toby's eventual falling in love with the King of Cats.

I'm sure I can get away with saying that her mother features very strongly and the consequences are very dire and the feels are very deep. I can
Robin (Bridge Four)
I love that this is one of those series that gets better almost every book. I really had no idea that when I read Rosemary and Rue all those books ago that I was eventually going to fall in love with this series. Part of that is because Rosemary and Rue was a little bleak and depressing for about the first quarter of the book but since book three I’ve been completely hooked.

Our story starts off a little on the happy side with one of the funniest into chapters in a series I’ve read for awhile as
Jo
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE who loves UF!

4.5 Stars Buddy read with the fantastic UF Wednesday Group over at BB&B. Yay, a new October Day book!!!!!!!

….monsters were made from the best of intentions….

Oh how wonderful it was being back in this fantastic world Seanan McGuire has created.

For once it seems as if things just might be going October “Toby” Daye’s way. Nobody is trying to kill her, there’s no one who needs saving and all she needs to be doing is planning her wedding to the King of Cats and enjoying her bachelorette p

Steven
The Brightest Fell

First and foremost, thank you to Netgalley and Berkley/DAW for approving me for an ARC in one of my absolute favorite series. I was given a copy of this book to read in exchange for nothing more than an honest review.

Seanan McGuire is one of the best writers I've had the pleasure of reading. She knows how to set up the action, to build the plot to the explosive scenes you know are coming, but somehow seem to still usually subvert expectations and provide an even better result t
** Note: it's impossible to review this book without including spoilers for previous stories so please don't read this review unless you're up to date with the series and have read at least as far as Once Broken Faith **

Just when everything seems to be going right in Toby's world something, or in this case someone, has to come along and ruin it. Toby should be focusing on planning her wedding but an unexpected, and not particularly pleasant, visit from Amandine turns her life upside down and lea
Beth
When I hear that Seanan McGuire wrote it, I know that I’m in for another perfect literary escape.

Toby finds herself in a precarious situation and the people that she has learned to depend on the most have been taken. She must depend on her own wits while leaning on the one person she should never trust.

And it all comes down to family…Amandine, Toby’s mother finally shows herself and for Toby this is not a good thing.

To put it frankly, I can’t say much more about the plot of this book without g
Kira
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it

Finally Amandine made an appearance!!! I had been waiting so long for this. It certainly wasn’t what I was expecting. Amandine is formidable woman. She makes the Luidaeg look sweet and sane, and she’s known as the sea witch. I have the feeling this book only showed one side of her personality. As someone who loves psychology, I’m curious to see what makes her tick and why exactly she feels the way she does about Toby. I think there’s a lot more to it than meets the eye.

Since these books
Susana

Well this one started out with a bang, but towards the end I was fervently wishing for it to end asap.
I've read all the previous books, probably all the shorts as well, so I'm familiar with this world. This means that having the same old things, the same old stories, the same old - character _ quirks thrown at me at infinitum became tiresome. And depressing...
Why is it that when a series starts going downhill, the publisher decides to publish it in hardback?

Full review to come...
Bea  Charmed
"For once, everything in October “Toby” Daye’s life seems to be going right." - I knew that wasn't going to last. Poor Toby rarely catches a break. Besides, it would be a short book if there wasn't a conflict or catastrophe. :D The book opens with Toby's bachelorette party which was a hoot to read. But, In no time, Amandine shows up on Toby's doorstep and makes a request/demand. And oh boy, Amandine plays dirty. She is not nice. I didn't remember her being quite so cold or vicious in her earlier ...more
Lindsay
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pureblooded faerie are assholes. That's the premise of this one, with Amandine paying October a visit and charging her with an impossible task and taking a terrible collateral in the process.

After that though Seanan spends the rest of the book in dialogue with that as Ocotber is forced to take on Simon Torquill as her ally, a pureblooded faerie that has been an asshole to her in the past, but is a walking knot of contradictions. This book also ties on bow on several loose ends from previous book
decafJess
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
THIS SERIES IS SERIOUSLY ADDICTIVE.

Read at your own peril.

It's difficult, if not impossible, to describe the plot without releasing major spoilers concerning the earlier books, so I'll avoid it.

A quick rundown of the series for the uninitiated: October is a half-human, half-fae woman who has lived her life awkwardly straddling the real world and the world of the fae. Her magic is related to blood, but her true strength is in her intelligence, combat training, and uncanny (yet not magical) abilit
Pippa DaCosta
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult
So, so good.

UPDATE: a kind book fairy reached out and offered me a copy on behalf of the author. Thank you!

Ugh. I'm in the Uk. The only available format is hardcover at £17 /$20 and a two month delivery time? No kindle option and no paperback option.

*sigh*
Maria Dimitrova
Buddy read with my dear friends of the UF Group.

Amandine needs to die. And her spoiled brat of a firstborn daughter too. In fact Toby should dial herself back to a more mortal body and learn to cast iron bullets for submachine gun and go on a rampage. I hate, hate, hate Amandine and August! My hate for them overshadowed my joy of being reunited with all my favorite characters of this series!

The book started so well. In fact it started with some of the funniest, most joy inducing sentences I've e
All Things Urban Fantasy
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
THE BRIGHTEST FELL is an entertaining mix of the comfort of an adventure between well established characters with the dissonance and uncertainty of new blood thrown into the mix. This deep into the series, October Daye's group of irregulars are beloved and entertaining, it is the unexpected appearance of her biological family that throws a wrench into the mix.

The mysterious truth behind Toby's heritage has been the last minute magical save in many a previous October Daye adventure, but it was a
Tabby
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, audiobook, arc
Worst October Daye in the series it needed more Tybalt

Ronda
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-favourites
There is always something compelling about the October Daye series, something that draws my attention to every single chapter, every single page and each written word. Seanan McGuire writes this series with a magical imagination!

The Brightest Fell is probably one of my favourites in the series, the emotions from reading this were not expected, Simon played a big part in this book and he drew me in, I did not expect my feelings to change because of his past but boy was I wrong. However, ther
Katie Michaels
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The more things change in this series, the more they stay the same. And that make sense in a world that features characters who have lived hundreds of years if not more. Since the very first book in the series Toby has faced so much prejudice and disdain for being a changeling. We have seen the fae characters wrinkle their noses at any and all beings they considered lesser. In many ways, this precept stands above all other things. And it’s rings more true than ever here.

The story begins with Tob
Ina
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 stars

I can't remember last time book left me feeling this sad and... I don't know. October Daye books don't usually have happy endings that make you feel like everything is right in the world, but this one feels a little bit more unfinished than the others. Toby, Tybalt, Quentin, May and Jazz are back home, but they are not safe and they are not really happy either.

The Brightest Fell finally fully introduces Amandine. I always though I won't really like that woman and I was right. She is a ter
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
All right, book 11 in a series is perhaps not the best book to start with. But, I "discovered" Seanan McGuire thanks to her Wayward Children series and thought I try this, the latest book to see if it's to my liking.

Now, the book is perfectly all right, it was a lot to take in, a lot of characters to get to know, and a lot of history, but I enjoyed learning more about Toby, her friends, and family, etc. However, the story was a bit slow, with the hunt for Toby's sisters August not awfully thrill
Katie
BUT NOW WHAT DO I READ?

(view spoiler)
Marta Cox
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Four and a half
After so many books the author has clearly decided to take things up a notch and I have to say this book just kept hammering away at any preconceived ideas about the characters within this world. I think I'm probably used to Toby having to bloody a few people up in order to save the day but this time it's going to take a lot more than nifty knife skills to solve her problems.
Toby's mother isn't exactly the warm fuzzy type and I'm not revealing too much when I say their relationsh
Cass
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
4,5/5
Danielle (Danniegurl)
This is good, but also annoying. Number one reason it is annoying: Tybalt is barely in it.

Yea yea I know there was a reason for it, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. I didn't have enough. Not nearly enough to satisfy my Toby Tybalt time. Nope.

Still, it's a good and sad story...again.

Amadine is demanding that Toby find her long lost sister, August. *sigh* Freaking Amadine. I don't like her, she's not even a bitch but maybe cruel? I dunno. I just know I don't like her. Obviously Toby wants
Linda
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's no secret that I'm a big fan of Seanan McGuire's writing. Despite her different series being very different styles, the world-building and characterizations are strong and creative. But it's her characters that really make me love her books, and I've grown to care very much for Toby and her chosen family in the October Daye series.

Family, biological and chosen, is very much at the heart of this story. Toby's relationship with her mother Amandine has been at best complicated. Because Toby is
Shelley
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
*Source* Publisher*
*Genre* Urban Fantasy
*Rating* 4.0

*Full Review Pending*

Book is not exactly 368 pages long. There's an April O'Leary novella in the back of the book which you can read, or not. Toby's story, meanwhile, is really twisted. There are characters who return, and ones that have been missing for awhile. There is a journey with Toby and Quentin that leads to some twists. On the other hand, I wouldn't want anyone to have the kind of mother that Toby has. I would be encouraging Matricide,
Suz
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I have to be honest, the "Mom never really loved you and is willing to hurt you to make you help the one she really loved" plot was traumatizing for me.

It was a wonderful example of what being related to a narcissist is like. This is not a feel good story. There are spots of brilliance and healing of other hurts in there, and they are touching and good to see, but this is not a feel-good addition to this series.

It was, as always, brilliantly written and completely worth the read, but I feel a bi
Mona
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Audiobook
Jeffe Kennedy
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow - what a wrenching book. This one made me cry - a first for this series. Glomming this series has been a terrific ride. Just fantastic - in every sense of the word.
Lexxi Kitty
I did not like this one. There's only so many stories I can read filled with . . . I can't think of the right words at the moment. All that I can think of seem wrong - bitter characters, whiny characters forced to do what they have the power to do but don't want to do, etc. Characters that react instead of act.

Has Toby ever acted of her own accord? She seems to always be reacting. Like here - 1) sister-fetch May wants to hold a party for Toby's upcoming - currently unscheduled wedding. So she do
Girls, Guns and G...: Brightest Fell - September NRBotM 24 34 Jan 09, 2018 06:14AM
Saucy Wenches Boo...: The Brightest Fell ****Spoilers***** 29 38 Sep 20, 2017 02:40PM
  • Wildfire (Hidden Legacy, #3)
  • Silence Fallen (Mercy Thompson, #10)
  • The Sharp Bite of Ritual (Spellcrackers.com, #6)
  • Grave Ransom (Alex Craft, #5)
  • Cast in Deception (Chronicles of Elantra, #13)
  • Cold Reign (Jane Yellowrock, #11)
  • Shadow's Bane (Dorina Basarab, #4)
  • Unraveled (Elemental Assassin, #15)
  • Etched in Bone (The Others, #5)
  • Feedback (Newsflesh, #4)
  • Unholy Luck (Downside Ghosts, #6)
  • Rituals (Cainsville, #5)
  • Aliens Abroad (Katherine "Kitty" Katt, #16)
  • Legacy of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #8)
  • Eleventh Grave in Moonlight (Charley Davidson, #11)
  • Mirror, Mirror (The Dresden Files, #17)
Hi! I'm Seanan McGuire, author of the Toby Daye series (Rosemary and Rue, A Local Habitation, An Artificial Night, Late Eclipses), as well as a lot of other things. I'm also Mira Grant (www.miragrant.com), author of Feed and Deadline.

Born and raised in Northern California, I fear weather and am remarkably laid-back about rattlesnakes. I watch too many horror movies, read too many comic books, and
More about Seanan McGuire

October Daye (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Rosemary and Rue (October Daye, #1)
  • A Local Habitation (October Daye, #2)
  • An Artificial Night (October Daye, #3)
  • Late Eclipses (October Daye, #4)
  • One Salt Sea (October Daye, #5)
  • Ashes of Honor (October Daye, #6)
  • Chimes at Midnight (October Daye, #7)
  • The Winter Long (October Daye, #8)
  • A Red-Rose Chain (October Daye, #9)
  • Once Broken Faith (October Daye, #10)
“Some wounds never really heal. They just scab over enough to let you keep on going.” 6 likes
“It was possible she’d been too focused on her need for another cocktail to realize we were witnessing one of the portents of the apocalypse. ”The Luidaeg is singing Disney songs.” 5 likes