Start by marking “The Eternal City” as Want to Read:
The Eternal City

The Eternal City

3.29  ·  Rating details ·  417 Ratings  ·  86 Reviews
From master of suspense Paula Morris comes a tale of gods and goddesses, thrilling romance, and mystery set in present-day Rome.

Laura Martin is visiting Rome on a class trip, and she's entranced by the majestic Colosseum, the Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon. . . . Everything in this city seems magical.

That is, until the magic seems to turn very dark.

Suddenly, statues of Cupid
Published May 26th 2015 by Point / Scholastic, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about The Eternal City, please sign up.
yumi It's suitable for grades 7 -9 so roughly around 12-15 years of ages

Lexie
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
Two things stopped me from enjoying this book as much as I wanted to:

1) I did not like Laura, or her friends. Not a single one of them.
2) This book has atmosphere aplenty and that's about it.

There is no common sense to be heard of from these kids. None. Not a single iota. A volcano erupts and instead of staying inside they run around Rome (sometimes with a teacher, most of the time not). Weird shit constantly (and I do mean constantly) happens around our main character Laura and she just sort
LilyCat (Agent of SHIELD)-- on hiatus :(
2.5 Stars

I thought it was a good concept- a school trip in Rome gone wrong, including food poisoning, natural disasters, and even mythological mayhem. The fault is not in the concept or plot, but it was dull. 90% of the book, sure there are weird things happening, but they aren't really connected to anything. Oh look a statue came to life, OMG! Then let's go look for internet. Most of it felt like poorly-paced exposition, and the myth thing only became fully-realized in the last 50 pages or so.

A
Kelsey van Dillen
Het was heeeeel anders dan ik me had voorgesteld, het viel tegen. Het deed meer aan als een kinderboek dan een young adult. Er zat helemaal geen reden achter waarom die stenen voor alle drama zorgden, en het was ook niet bepaald spannend.
Lizzy O
Rida
Apr 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a really nice, fast-paced read. I really liked how Laura's character developed. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone looking for a really quick read, that is still action filled with really realistic characters (except for the mythological ones of course).
I would give this book 3.5 stars, but since I can't do that I'll just round it up to four. :)
Kristen
This and other reviews on my blog My Friends Are Fiction
My Thoughts:
This was the first book I’ve read from Paula Morris and so I really didn’t know what to expect. The writing was easy to read and I was excited by the idea of the setting being in Rome. Some part of me, based on a vague recollection of the summary, thought our main character, Lauren, would be traveling back in time. I only briefly read the summary before requesting this one and when it arrived I jumped in without refreshing my
April
Jul 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
This is kind of an odd story. Events seem unrelated and it doesn't feel well explained. Laura seems like a nice girl but what is going on with the star sapphires? The gods decide to fight simply because she brought a star sapphire that her grandfather found years ago to Rome? And why give her the second star sapphire?
Was there a point to the story?
I kind of liked it, but I don't think it makes much sense on the whole.
Mlee
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book!! Now I really want to go to Rome! Anybody who likes Roman mythology should read it.
Cory
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: could-not-finish
I tried and tried to read this one but just could not get into it.
Meredith
Feb 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-releases
The Eternal City was my fourth Paula Morris book – I read Ruined, Unbroken and Dark Souls many years ago and really enjoyed them. So when I heard about The Eternal City, I was so excited! Paula Morris + Roman Gods = Need!!!! Though I really enjoyed the setting (Rome!!!) and the mythology, the characters felt flat and hard to connect with and I had a hard time keeping track of all of them. Since I’m used to Morris’s writing style, I expected some of this and it didn’t dampen my desire to read The ...more
Celeste_pewter
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
I think my biggest problem with The Eternal City, is the fact that this is a book that is completely predicated around the idea of things happening to Laura, the main character.

When we first meet Laura, she's traveling around Rome on a class trip. It's typical teenaged shenanigans, until an attempted mugging results in Laura being in possession of two gems, the eyes of Minerva. From that point on, it's full-blown chaos as the city begins falling apart and ancient gods come to life, as they begi
Dark Faerie Tales
Dec 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed-by-zed
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: A trip to Rome goes wrong when everyone but a handful of schoolkids are left to survive a war with the gods!

Opening Sentence: Laura Martin wasn’t even meant to be in Rome that June.

The Review:

This book is aimed at the younger adults and would be great for someone looking for an adventure story mixed with magic, myths and legends.

The combination of mysterious characters in The Eternal City intertwined with the legends of the gods was intrigui
Mariana  Nguyen
Jun 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2015
This book gave me a split personality. One shout, "Wonderful! Magical! Amazing!" while other scream, "Don't you see all the flaws!"

Two things stop me from loving this book as much as I suppose to.

First, I find it very hard to connect with the character. They are bizarre, if you ask me. Despite the fact that most of them are seniors (except for our protagonist), they act quite silly. Nobody runs around a city with a can-be-erupted-anytime volcano. Well, except for this group of students. No teach
Grace Fonseca
Jun 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
A solid premise for a book. I totally loved the concept and idea for the book. Laura Martin was a character who I came to like. Her friends as well seemed a little bit more interesting. This was a book that definitely was interesting.

Things I liked about it:

1. The Main Characters Growth

Laura is a character that at first I didn’t connect with. It took me some time to get to know her and what her motivations were. After two chapters, I saw that this was a young woman who needs to be in Rome for a
Hattie
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
I can't really decide between 2 or 3. Give it a 2 1/2..
I had really, really high hopes for this. The blurb looked interesting, the prologue was interesting and whilst I knew I was setting myself up for 'another school trip that goes wrong and kid finds themselves in the middle of supernatural warefare' - I was the kind of mood when that seemed like a perfect read. The problem?? Characters were bland and nothing happened.

Kasper seemed really interesting at first. Especially with the dropped hints
Marie
Find this and other reviews at Ramblings of a Daydreamer.

The synopsis for The Eternal City immediately piqued my interest, mostly because when I first heard about it I was just months away from my first visit to Rome, plus I love books with foreign settings. While the synopsis sounds exciting and different, and I liked the premise of the book, the execution was lacking. The story felt like a series of random events and strange things happening to the main character, Laura, but the characters wer
Emily Knapp
Sep 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book started out with Laura going to Rome with her class, and she gets two star sapphires. All of the sudden, everyone starts feeling sick, and a volcano explodes, releasing an ash cloud. Laura is one of the few not sick, she goes to see the Mouth of Truth, and it attacks her. They go see the church with all the torture frescoes, and Sofia stands really close to one. The painted man jumps out and grabs Sofia. He tries to drag her into the painting. Laura and Maia try to pull her out. Kasper ...more
Beth
Nov 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Having been to Rome really enhanced the story for me. I could picture so many of the fountains, piazzas, and Roman ruins that are featured. I wish I had a better handle on the gods and goddesses that are important to the story.
Michelle Rebar
May 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
A fun adventure with ancient gods in modern day Rome. It's got danger, myth, magic and just a touch of romance. I'd actually recommend this to younger teen readers who are transitioning out of Middle Grade into YA. Full review to come.
Clara
Sep 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
I didn't like this book at all bc I think the author could do a little more research on the roman history bc she kept talking about Greek mythology and not roman. And all the characters were all very annoying.
Reading Teen
May 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Reviewed by Emily on Reading Teen
Faye
Jan 25, 2016 rated it did not like it
Barely even finished this, I skimmed the last 50 pages or so, because it's very bland and boring. Not worth the read.
Rina m.
Oct 13, 2016 rated it did not like it
Stephanie
Jul 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Laura Martin is enjoying the final day of her class trip to Rome when strange things begin to happen. Most of her classmates are struck with a mysterious illness. Statues come to life and she soon learns the ancient gods of Rome are at war. Laura soon realizes she may be the cause of the war. Morris crafts a clever story about a modern girl surprised to find that the gods aren't myths. The writing is fast-paced and entertaining.
Anna-Lisa
If you wanna read something good about Roman and Greek mythology in our world then read Rick Riordan, he knows who to do it right. This was boring with not one likeable character and no real plot at all.
Kasey Johnson
Jun 09, 2017 rated it liked it
It gets a 3.5 from me. I love Paula Morris' writing style so it was hard to put down, but the story just didn't do it for me.
Kirsten
May 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
The story was too predictable.
Christian - Knightingale Reviews
This is one review that I have been struggling with, especially because I have mixed feelings about The Eternal City. I had such high expectations for this book, and I really wanted to love it. However, it just wasn't what I was expecting. By the number of stars that I've given this particular book, I don't want anyone to think that the story is absolutely terrible--it just didn't suit my tastes. Consequently, I am positive that there are readers out there that would enjoy The Eternal City. Sadl ...more
Savannah
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Eternal City is one of my favorite books. It made me want to learn more about Roman Mythology.
Meghannf
Sep 12, 2015 rated it liked it
The Eternal City is well… I don’t really know. It’s an average read and not so great in the end. I had such high hopes for this one but in the end it didn’t match my hopes.
The writing style is nice, it’s a quick read, it’s smooth. I really enjoyed the approach for the main characters, they are not thrown in your face. Her comparison between the Trevi Fountain and vanilla ice cream wow! It makes me laugh so much because I would have NEVER, never thought of that! :D I think I laughed until the en
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Apr 17, 2015 09:19AM
  • The Big Dark
  • City of Fae (London Fae, #1)
  • When My Heart Was Wicked
  • The Chosen Prince
  • Snakehead
  • Ash Mistry and the City of Death (Ash Mistry Chronicles, #2)
  • The Dark Army (Keeper of the Realms, #2)
  • The Madness of Lord Westfall (The Order of the MUSE, #2)
  • Lucky Strike
  • Going Where It's Dark
  • On the Run
  • Dark Shimmer
  • Mythology
  • The Kidney Hypothetical: Or How to Ruin Your Life in Seven Days
  • Seeing Red
  • Brilliant
  • The Blind Wish (The Jinni Wars, #2)
  • What Remains
Paula Morris, a novelist and short story writer of English and Maori descent, was born in New Zealand. For almost a decade she worked in the record business in London and New York. She now lives in New Orleans, where she teaches creative writing at Tulane University.

Paula's first novel, Queen of Beauty, won best first work of fiction at the 2003 Montana New Zealand Book Awards. Hibiscus Coast, a l
More about Paula Morris

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Fool's Assassin (The Fitz and The Fool Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Conjure (Hoodoo Apprentice)
    $5.99 $0.00
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Acacia: The War with the Mein (Acacia, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99