Start by marking “Krampusnacht: Twelve Nights of Krampus” as Want to Read:
Krampusnacht: Twelve Nights of Krampus

Krampusnacht: Twelve Nights of Krampus

For bad children, a lump of coal from Santa is positively light punishment when Krampus is ready and waiting to beat them with a stick, wrap them in chains, and drag them down to hell--all with St. Nick's encouragement and approval.

Krampusnacht holds within its pages twelve tales of Krampus triumphant, usurped, befriended, and much more. From evil children (and adults) who
Published November 11th 2014 by World Weaver Press

To ask other readers questions about Krampusnacht, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Krampusnacht

Melki
description

soundtrack - Krampusnacht by Unto Ashes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOVGQ...

This is a hit or miss collection of stories celebrating everyone's favorite Yuletide demon.

NO! Not him. This guy -

description

Krampus, the hoofed, horned creature that comes at Christmas to punish the bad kiddies with switches, sometimes even hauling them away in his sack to be burned or eaten later when he runs out of fruit-flavored cereal .

Most of the writers here have stuck with the legend, having Krampus threaten the
Emily
Dec 12, 2018 rated it liked it
"For if truth and beauty and love of life must be labeled wickedness, then heaven loves a wicked child." - Elise Fourier Edie

I randomly came across this book in a used bookstore & I was so happy to find it! Krampusnacht is an anthology of twelve short stories about Krampus edited by Kate Wolford. Although I didn't love everything in here, I would say that the book is worth reading for the ones I did love. I rated nine of the stories 3-5⭐, so that's pretty good.

I was pleasantly surprised by
megHan
Dec 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A couple of years ago, shortly before my nieces' 5th Christmas, the Houston Chronicle posted an article about the way other countries celebrate Christmas, the way they see Santa Claus, and other ... creatures ... that come around during the winter time. We shared this article with the and they were intrigued, wanting to know more about the people we were reading about, asking us to help them look up pictures on the computer so they could see what they looked like. One of them was Krampus. Ever s ...more
Beth
An delightfully weird grouping of tales for the holiday season. Some were hit, some miss; but overall I enjoyed this anthology. All the tales were new tellings of a very old European myth - you better be good, or Krampus comes visiting!

Gruss vom Krampus! And Happy Reading! :D

Steph [They/Them] (Wickedjr Reads)
As typical with anthologies, some hits, some misses.

1st night of Krampus "Prodigious" - 5 stars

2nd night of Krampus "The Wicked Child" - 5 stars (Favorite!)

3rd night of Krampus "Marching Krampus" - 3.25 stars

4th night of Krampus "Peppermint Sticks" - 1 star, didn't get it

5th night of Krampus "Ring, Little Bell, Ring" - 1.5 stars, also didn't get it but was kinda catchy

6th night of Krampus "A Visit" - 4 stars

7th night of Krampus "Santa Claus and the little girl who loved to sing and dance" - 1 s
Jen Lamoureux
Dec 03, 2016 rated it did not like it
Rhonda
Oct 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Krampusnacht cuts through the cloying sweetness of typical Christmas stories to reveal their dark chewy centre. Twelve stories with twelve takes on Santa's less savoury companion, this collection is sure to become a new holiday tradition.
La La
As with most anthologies there was the good, the bad, and the ugly; but the mix came out to a nice solid three stars. Krampus can be a throughly misunderstood guy. One of the negatives is the ebook price. $2.99 would be a fairer amount. I am happy I found it on sale for $1.99.
Jamie (The Kansan Reader)
Awesome collection of short stories.
Kristina Wojtaszek
Oct 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-fiction
Twelve enthralling tales that turn the lights out on Christmas, and dance with folklore in the dark.
Alyssa (Books Take You Places)
On the whole, this was only an okay read. Some of the stories were terrible, and some were just okay. Alas.
Gofita
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not all stories were created equal but I enjoyed enough of them that a few stand out.

My favorite was the story of Krampus going to local pubs on Christmas Eve and finding the most down-on-their-luck souls he could find and giving them the choice to either die tonight by a bullet or to have one year and die by fire. What does one do when given only a year to live? It was a great horror short story. Loved it.

Another great one was where a human who can see all the demons demi-gods unleashes her ve
Rosemarie Short
Dec 17, 2016 rated it liked it
This is the sixth in my #12daysofChristmas read-a-thon! Each day I will post a review of a Christmas / Winter related book. Hopefully this will give you some Xmas-Inspo and give your holiday reading a boost!

After reading countless holiday romances, I was definitely in the mood for something…different. So I delved into the world of Christmas horror. As it turns out, a lot of Christmas horror is erotica – who knew?! But hidden amongst it all was this – twelve short stories about Krampus, Santa’s
Cecelia Myers
Nov 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book! The twelve stories offer something in everything genre from folklore to funny to horror. It's a great read for any time of year, especially for those who are lukewarm on Santa. My personal favorite was The Girl Who Loved to Sing and Dance, which had a grown-up Roald Dahl feel.
Sam
This is a great collection of modern Krampus inspired tales written by a variety of authors in a variety of styles but all capturing the dark and disturbing side of Krampus and what he stands for (a being we could really do with in this day and age I feel). Each story has a short introduction explaining the inspiration behind the story giving more of a context to each one, adding to the enjoyment of each one.
Ab
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great collection of short stories, all about Krampus. There was a good variety of types of tales, from old world to contemporary, and the writing was quite well done. It's also a pretty quick read if you are moving through the book.
Kevin
Dec 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Some of these stories are really good and fit with the role of Krampus. Then a few are just sort of generic horror where the Krampus is a mindless beast.
Simon Roy Hughes
Great short stories that bring to remembrance that Christmas is so much more than Santa Claus and gifts.
Cadi Weaver
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Super fun! The 10th story by Mark Mills stuck out since it was especially dark and amusing.
Linda
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Some of these stories are a five. A couple only rate a three. Imaginative reimaginings of the Krampus and his role at Yule.
Kurt Douglass
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
This might best be described as an anthology of Krampus fan fiction. The bulk of them are mediocre. The main problem is that Krampus isn’t scary. For a demon who kidnaps and tortures children, he is rather tame (sometimes even friendly) in these stories. I wonder if the writers were too reluctant to embrace the truly dark, wild nature of the Christmas Demon, or too preoccupied with reinventing him for the modern era. True, there are many sides to Krampus, but underlying all of them is a primal, ...more
Beth
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun anthology of Krampus

I love short stories. Each one is a very different take on the idea of Krampus. If you like learning about the folklore of Krampus this is a good start.
Dee Arr
Nov 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Just when you thought getting a piece of coal was the worst that could happen...

I had never heard of Krampus and was intrigued by a being who would have an interest in those children on Santa's "bad" list. For some reason, I thought I was purchasing a book of legends, old stories about a half-forgotten Christmas legend, dusted off and presented just in time for the holidays. What I received was reminiscent of Robert Lynn Asprin's "Thieves World," where authors would share their individual vision
Jesse
Nov 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
This was fun.

I've recently become obsessed with Krampus, and wanted to really delve into some history of the tradition this winter season.

This wasn't really the book for that, as some of the authors say that they never had heard of Krampus, but just wrote a story after being given a description of the character. And in that light, it was fun to read several interpretations of what he could be like, everything from modern visits from Krampus to fairy tale-esque bed time stories.

All of them wer
Symmonz
Dec 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Meh. Some of the stories were pretty entertaining, but most were only ok. Several of the stories just seemed to end abruptly with no warning or completion (like perhaps they weren't full stories?). A few were very obviously written by people with no prior knowledge of the subject. And at least one was just awful. However, this is worth the read if just for the few jems inside. They are all quick reads, and you could finish at least one story a night.
Jessa Allen
Dec 19, 2016 rated it liked it
I haven't read many short stories, so this book was quite different than what I'm used to. It was difficult to start to get to know the characters of the stories, only to have it end on the very next page. Overall, it was an interesting read. Some of the stories were better than others, I would say I disliked more of them than I liked. Having heard of Krampus only a couple years ago, and finding interest in the subject, it was enjoyable to read the different thoughts and versions of him.
Melanie Clemmer
Nov 30, 2016 rated it liked it
More like three and a half stars.
While Krampus was most likely part of a morality tale to keep children in line, I have to admit that the tales of greedy adults getting their just deserts were rather satisfying. Favorite story was "The Wicked Child" where Krampus actually protects an orphan from her abusive grandparents.
Angel
Dec 13, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not typically a fan of short story collections- there's always that one or two GREAT stories and the rest are kind of 'eh' or downright bad. This collection is no different. Although, I'll probably read it again next year because hey! It's Krampus!
Amy
Nov 26, 2015 rated it liked it
The first few stories weren't very well written, but the last ones were much better. The last few stories were also much darker than the first, and one even had a slight feeling of the Sandman books that I was reading a while back.
Valerie
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
As much as I enjoyed these stories, I was hoping that it would be pointed out in one of them that the fault of obnoxious and nasty kids usually is because the parents fail to actually parent. Hopefully, there will be a 2nd edition of these stories.

• Seize the Night: New Tales of Vampiric Terror
  • The Library of the Dead
  • Gypsy Folk Tales
  • Indian Legends of the Pacific Northwest
  • Wrapped in Red: Thirteen Tales of Vampiric Horror (Wrapped #1)
  • Turn Down the Lights
  • Faeries (Magical Worlds of Fantasy)
  • Bad Apples 2: Six Slices of Halloween Horror
  • The Fairies in Tradition and Literature
  • The Old Magic of Christmas: Yuletide Traditions for the Darkest Days of the Year
  • Suspended In Dusk
  • Understories
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Sixteenth Annual Collection
  • The Phantom Coach: A Connoisseur's Collection of Victorian Ghost Stories
  • The Many Faces of Van Helsing
  • Bad Apples: Five Slices of Halloween Horror
  • The Wonder Clock or, Four and Twenty Marvelous Tales
  • Ghost Stories
Kate Wolford is editor and publisher of Enchanted Conversation: A Fairy Tale Magazine at fairytalemagazine.com. She teaches first-year college writing, incorporating fairy tales in her assignments whenever possible.