Start by marking “The Fiery Trial (Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy, #8)” as Want to Read:
The Fiery Trial (Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy, #8)

The Fiery Trial

(Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy #8)

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  11,360 ratings  ·  1,151 reviews
Emma Carstairs and Julian Blackthorn become parabatai. Simon and Clary both act as their witnesses, so they can see what a parabatai bond forming looks like as they want to become parabatai as soon as Simon graduates — and because Emma asked Clary. The ritual goes unexpectedly …
Published September 22nd 2015 (first published September 15th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Fiery Trial, please sign up.
Kim Carlton Read and of Cassandra Clare`s Shadowhunter books and all will be explained
Megan Ross It's just like The Bane Chronicles. However, all ten short stories take place within two years, following the end of City of Heavenly Fire so it feels…moreIt's just like The Bane Chronicles. However, all ten short stories take place within two years, following the end of City of Heavenly Fire so it feels more like an "actual book". (less)

·  11,360 ratings  ·  1,151 reviews

Sasha Alsberg
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sam Heughan narrated the audiobook and it was amazing
Zoë
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ooooh so intrigued by what is to come! I wish there was more Emma and Julian, but I guess that will come in Lady Midnight!

Also, Sam Heughan's narration = WONDERFUL
Maureen
Mar 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Feeling a lot of Simon and Clary best friend feelings, and I also know that I am definitely going to ship Emma and Julian and it's going to break my HEART.

|2.7 stars|

This one will be very short because I have zero motivation at the moment

A Maureen and Cassandra collaboration can go really good or just meh.
AFT was on the meh side, to be honest.

They’re so going to say that Simon had some sort of Sight before he actually met the Shadowhunters because what was all that crap about hallucination!Jace telling Simon to remember the first time he saw him? Is Cassandra really going to say he could saw the Shadow world before shit hit the fan? This is just t
Andie
We always hear about Parabatai's and their bonds but we never knew what really goes into finding yours and the ritual itself. This was great insight to both! Loved these Simon and Clary moments. They've always been true Parabatai. But really Emma and Julian?! I foresee a lot of heart break coming for these two in The Dark Artifices :(
Emma Giordano
Sep 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My favorite of the TFTSA by FAR! So nice to see so many of my favorite characters from ALL of Cassie's books in one place. The plot of this novella TOTALLY captivated me and was extremely interesting, intense, and entertaining. I started to cry 4 times at different points just because there was so much nostalgia mixed with so many new feelings and I absolutely loved it! x
Anastasia
Mar 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5/5 stars
The Fiery Trial is the eight short story in the Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy bind up. This short story is definitely my least favorite. Not because it's not action packed or interesting; because it really is. It's because there was so much action and so interesting that it became too much and very, very confusing. Everything was fuzzy and I found myself lost at least 4 times and that's 3 times too much for a short story that's only 64 pages long. The cast of characters in
Pinky
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am almost done! I have 2 more to go and I am so excited to finally get my hands on Lady Midnight! I want to catch up with Winter though, because I love the Lunar Chronicle Series and I need to finish the series. Since I have a few days over the 3 day break, I am going to do as much reading as I can! That includes finishing the Shadowhunter Academy, Winter and Lady Midnight. I don't think I will finish all of it because both of those books are huge, but it's worth a shot, right?

“There’s alway
Melanie
“True parabatai are linked long before the ceremony takes place.”

This one I feel really on the fence about. Like, drugging people, even with good intentions, isn’t cool. Basically, this is the parabatai short story! We get to see Julie and Beatriz decide to become parabatai. We get to see Emma and Julian become parabatai. And then we get to see Simon and Clary discuss if they want to be parabatai. And… I thought I would like it more than I did. First off, Maureen is the character in this ent
Giulia
Meh, this one was pretty boring, and also really confusing. I spent half of the time wondering what on earth was going on! I don't really care for the relationship between Clary and Simon, the whole parabatai ceremony for Emma and Julian was over way too soon - and the atmosphere was so weird I'm still not sure what to think. I don't know. This novella was really odd. I loved seeing Magnus again though and oh, Jem! *heart-eyes* Hearing him talk about his parabatai bond with Will warmed my heart ...more
Alexa ❤️
Dec 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5 Stars

(view spoiler)

Can't wait to see the ceremony after Simon ascends.

Alaina
“I’m not going to kiss you,” Simon said. “Ever.”

“I’ve never heard anyone say that before,” Jace mused. “It was a unique experience.”

WOW! So a lot of shit went down in this book. A whole lot of parabati shit.

But then The Fiery Trial had to take me on an emotional roller coaster ride that I did not sign up for, like:

Souma BookAddict
May 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016, novella

It was good, I loved that Magnus was in it. It was great to see Clary and Simon's friendship again.

"It was like that with my parabatai, Will. I never had to ask Will what he was thinking. In fact, it was usually better not to ask Will what he was thinking..."

My heart breaks everytime Jem talks about Will.

It was also great to see an actual parabatai ceremony with Emma and Julian. Although he clearly does not want to become parabatai with her but he has no choice.
leenahreads
Apr 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-books
i swear when they mentioned will i had to stop reading for a second and catch my breath I MISS HIM SO MUCH I WANT LIKE 10 EXTRA BOOKS ABOUT WILL OKAY!! also emma and julian are so in love i cant believe we're gonna suffer 3 books of them wanting each other but not being able to have each other rip
Joana
4.5 Stars!

I don't know what to say.

I cried. A lot. My heart hurts. Like hell.

I'm probably dying from Parabatai feels.

* Jalec feels. ❤

* Heronstairs feels. ❤

* Malec feels. ❤

* Climon feels. ❤

This is all to much for me to handle. Seeing Jem talking about Will... breaks me. And the way Jace and Alec look at each other is just so heartbreaking beautiful that hurts.

And although I don't like Simon I've always loved and admired his friendship with Clary, so I'm beyond happy that they'
Martina Giomo
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Emma and Jules........... Parabatai!
NOOOOO! Damn it!
By the Angel Emma, don't you see that Juls is in love with you?
My poor baby! :(
Hannah
Mar 31, 2016 rated it did not like it
What the hell was this? I dunno what to write so write this nonsense type of novella?
Trina (Between Chapters)
I have a hard time giving any novella 5 stars, but this is one NOT to miss. It added some essential things to the series!
Emmy
Nov 15, 2014 marked it as to-read
Simon and Clary as parabatai yessssssss

And can't wait to hear more about Emma and Jules :)
★MC's Corner★
Aug 19, 2015 rated it liked it

*vomit*

C'MON!

WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT?!

Mikee Andrea (ReadWithMikee)
I have a feeling that Emma and Julian's decision to be parabatai will prove to be potentially problematic in The Dark Artifices series.

Hmm, I wonder... I might be sensing forbidden romance?
Paola
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
So this was read by Sam Heughan, and it was so enjoyable, it's a short story about the ceremony to become parabatai in the Shadowhunter's world, this story has particular relevance when you think about Julian and Emma and what happens next in lady midnight, because parabatais depend on one another but can't fall in love.
rebecca ɤ
Feb 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novellas
❝ I saw the two of you having entire conversations without saying a word. It was like that with my parabatai, Will. I never had to ask Will what he was thinking. In fact, it was usually better not to ask Will what he was thinking. . . . ❞

Soo amazing. Clary and Simon's relationship has grown so much :D

And Emma and Jules parabatai ceremony?!?? I am so alive :)))
Alina Lizzy
"The ritual goes unexpectedly..." = unexpectedly what? ...WELL?

O>O

This is Cassie Clare writing. When trouble comes, it ain't unexpected to me anymore. Everything will probably hit the fan. And that's okay.

(But I think we should get some Magnus Bane in this novella. Just in case.)
Matthew Tan
Sep 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read this in the middle of the night(because well WHY NOT??) I have a few thoughts on this story :

1. George and Simon are the funniest duo (like lmao)
2.I had forgotten how much I miss our buddies from TMI and TID.
3.JEM AND MAGNUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
4.JEMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
5.MAGNUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
6.The mention of Will.(RIP baby)
7.Jem's tears
8.MY TEARS
9.Clary and Simon basically getting drugged (LIKE LMAO x9999999)
10.Finding out that I've had the parabatai thing wrong as in for
~Bellegirl91~
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
2 REASONS WHY I WANT A HERONDALE....

REASON 1:

*JEM TALKING/REMINISCING ABOUT WILL AND TALKING ABOUT WHAT IT WAS LIKE TO HAVE A PARABATAI*

"It was like that with my Parabatai, Will. I never had to ask Will what he was thinking. In fact, it was usually BETTER not to ask Will what he was thinking." ("That got a smile from Magnus and Catarina both.")

REASON 2:

*SIMON IN THE TUNNEL OF LOVE WITH JACE*

SIMON: "I'm not going to kiss you. Ever."

JACE: "I've never heard anyone say that before. It was a unique e
manuela
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This story's turned me into an emotional blubbering mess! So, I'm sorry, but I need to share all my feelings. I don't even know where to start!
Of course this was all about parabatai, and that topic alone kills me. And, yes, obviously Jem was in this story, and even when he wasn't doing or saying anything I thought about him thinking about Will, and I'm going to cry again. Every time he said something about him my heart squeezed so painfully.
"It was like that with my parabatai, Will. I never had
♡Julalicious Book Paradise♡
Nov 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks-i-own
Original review on Julalicious Book Paradise

I cannot say in words just how much I'm enjoying these novellas.

I thought we would see more of Emma and Julian in this, but I guess it wasn't that important to this novella, it was simply the reason behind what Simon and Clary would go through. Though Simon wants Clary as his parabatai, he still haven't gotten the courage to ask her.

In this novella, Simon and Clary are being tested whether or not they ought to become each other's parabatai. I won't li
Jess at Such a Novel Idea
Jem!

Will *tears*

Clary + Simon

Set up for Lady Midnight

There was a LOT happening in this short little novella. It wasn't as entertaining as some of the others, but very informative.
Zoey
Sep 09, 2015 marked it as x-libby  ·  review of another edition
Apparently Sam Heughan who plays Jamie Fraser in Outlander will be narrating the audio book of this. Looks like I might have to get into a new series :)

• Other Worlds
  • Old Habits (Wicked Lovely, #2.6)
  • Lila Shortcuts (Lila, #0.5-0.7)
  • Falling for an Angel (Falling, #1)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Night After I Lost You (The Lynburn Legacy, #1.5)
  • 'Til Fear Do Us Part (A Grim Awakening, #1)
  • Break Us (Nikki Kill #3)
  • Twilight Begins (Wings in the Night, #1 & 2)
  • O Herói das Eras 1 (Mistborn #3, 1 of 2)
  • Starcrossed City (Starcrossed, #0.5)
  • The Mortal Heart (Beautiful Creatures: The Untold Stories, #1)
  • Wolf Pact, Part III (Wolf Pact, #3)
  • The King's Guard (Fire and Thorns, #0.7)
  • Eternity (The Fury Trilogy, #3)
  • Soul Kissed (Shadow Kissed, #2)
  • Sweet Sixteen (Raised by Wolves, #1.5)
  • Die Once More (Revenants, #3.5)
Hello Goodreadsers. Here's my official bio:

Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy
  • Welcome to Shadowhunter Academy (Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy, #1)
  • The Lost Herondale (Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy, #2)
  • The Whitechapel Fiend (Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy, #3)
  • Nothing but Shadows (Tales from Shadowhunter Academy, #4)
  • The Evil We Love (Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy, #5)
  • Pale Kings and Princes (Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy, #6)
  • Bitter of Tongue (Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy, #7)
  • Born to Endless Night (Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy, #9)
  • Angels Twice Descending (Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy, #10)
“There’s always something about true parabatai. They don’t need to speak to communicate. I saw the two of you having entire conversations without saying a word. It was like that with my parabatai Will. I never had to ask Will what he was thinking. In fact, it was usually better not to ask Will what he was thinking…”
That got a smile from Magnus and Catarina both.”
57 likes
“I’m not going to kiss you,” Simon said. “Ever.”

27 likes