Start by marking “Bitter of Tongue (Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy, #7)” as Want to Read:
Bitter of Tongue (Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy, #7)

Bitter of Tongue

(Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy #7)

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  11,994 ratings  ·  1,221 reviews

After Simon is kidnapped by faeries (why is he always kidnapped?), he uncovers rumors of a secret weapon Sebastian left behind for the faerie queen. He must escape the Fey, relying on his only ally, former Sha
Published August 18th 2015

To ask other readers questions about Bitter of Tongue, please sign up.
Rahul These are just small stories which tell what happened when Simon went off to Shadowhunter's academy in Alicante. Some of these don't even focus on Sim…moreThese are just small stories which tell what happened when Simon went off to Shadowhunter's academy in Alicante. Some of these don't even focus on Simon; some do. The backdrop is used that time to tell stuff and actually make progress.(less)

·  11,994 ratings  ·  1,221 reviews

Start your review of Bitter of Tongue (Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy, #7)
Sasha Alsberg
Poor Simon...getting kidnapped again!
Zoë
Mar 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was so dang emotional! I am so intrigued by the Blackthorn family and I'm happy that we got a glimpse of what is to come in Lady Midnight!
description

“Oh, Mark Blackthorn, what are they doing to you?” Simon whispered.
He could not keep the pity out of his voice, and he saw it sting Mark: the slow flush that rose to his thin cheeks, and the way he lifted his chin, holding his head high.
Mark said: “Nothing I cannot bear.”

Blurb:When Simon is kidnapped by the fey, he’s amazed to find a friend in former Shadowhunter Mark Blackthorn. One of ten adventures in Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy. After Simon is kidnapped by faeries (why is he alwa
Maureen
Mar 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm pretty emotional after that. Lots of SIZZY feelings and I FEEL SO MUCH FOR MARK AND HELEN THE POOR BBYS
Anastasia
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5/5 stars
Bitter of Tongue is one of the many novellas in the Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy. This novella was so amazing, I can't even express how much I loved it. The places they went, the people they met, it was just beautiful. The writing was really nice; just enough description and dialogue. Simon's personality was written perfectly. He was perfect ratio of awkward to strong, witty to serious, and nerdy to shadowhuntery. Cassandra integrates new characters into her world in such a s
Andie
Oh Mark... My heart is breaking for you and the other Blackthorns :( :(
Alina Lizzy
Usually I'm not up for Simon getting kidnapped....but if it means Mark Blackthorn, I'm in.

Update: IS THAT HOGWARTS?! (Just kidding.)

After reading: MARK BLACKTHORN I WILL SAVE YOU BY MYSELF I SWEAR
Melanie
“I got distracted making out with a boy, and then locked up by a goblin”

Is anyone really surprised that I loved the story about a sapphic marriage between a fae girl and an Asian girl? I have loved these two since their introduction and… their ceremony was everything! Also, this was so amazing because we got to see more of the fae court! Seriously, all I want is more of Mark and Kieran and the Hunt! Please, Cassie Clare, I’m begging you! I honestly just think the Blackthorns are my f
Pinky
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I finished another nouvella last night and I loved it! As the nouvellas go on, the more I read, the more favorites I get! I loved this nouvella even more than the last one. Everything is going to well and it was so fast, I didn't believe that it was finished until I turned the page. I feel like I am addicted to these!

“People could bear so much, but Simon did not know how much of the original you was left when the world had twisted you into a whole different shape.”

I think you already kno
Souma BookAddict
May 18, 2015 rated it really liked it

"Fortunate is the one who knows the name of their heart. They are the ones whose hearts are never truly lost. They can always call their heart back home."

The Blackthorns are breaking my heart. Mark especially, I hurt so much for him, so that part alone made me like this short story.

I’m really looking forward to Lady Midnight and it was lovely to see them all again.

And why is Simon always getting kidnapped?
manuela
Jul 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
my poor heart! Mark Blackthorn has ruined me. We finally get to see what he's been up to and it made me cry like a baby.
"Every night, no matter what has happened during the day, no matter if I am torn and bloodied or so bone-tired I wish I were dead, I look up at the stars and I give each star a brother's name or a sister's face. I will not sleep until I remember every one. The stars will burn out before I forget."

The Blackthorns are beautiful, their love for each other is beautiful. If I wa
bec ɤ
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
❝ I am no faerie,” said the boy with eerie eyes, pointed ears, and leaves in his wild hair. “I am Mark Blackthorn of the Los Angeles Institute. It doesn’t matter what they say or what they do to me. I still remember who I am. I am Mark Blackthorn.❞

❝ You see? I have not forgotten. Every night, no matter what has happened during the day, no matter if I am torn and bloodied or so bone-tired I wish I were dead, I look up at the stars and I give each star a brother’s name or a sister’s face. I will n
Mikee (ReadWithMikee)
My heart just broke. My heart is aching for Mark Blackthorn. What happened to him City of Heavenly Fire was just so terrible! And the fact that the Clave just decided to leave him there. GAH!

Even then, Mark holds his head high and still has hope that he will return home to his family.

Mark Blackthorn is one of the main reasons why I'm dying to finally read Lady Midnight!
Frannie Pan
Nov 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: z-2015, novellas

Simon is the best of them all. He's growing so much as a character and as an individual and, most importantly, as a different Shadowhunter.

Shadowhunters come from angels, they're noble warriors that fight and risk their lives everyday for humans who are blind to demons but they're also proud assholes who think they're better than anyone else. The way they exiled Helen for her half-blood fairie origins is no difference from turning their backs to Mark, leaving him in Fairieland despite what he sa
Alexa ❤️
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Drea
Apr 28, 2015 marked it as to-read
How come Simon is always getting kidnapped lol.
Marti⁷♡
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ah! So beautiful!
Mark made me cry! Why the Shadowhunters are so stupid sometimes!?

And then seeing Juls, Ty, Dru, Tivy and Emma! Awww, so cute!
I want "Lady Midnight" now!
Valentina M
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mark :(
bookaholic_kim
Mar 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
This tale gives us more details to the Blackthorn family and Simon gets to meet Mark Blackthorn. I am so intrigued if their will be a chance for the nephilim to save Mark.

And I feel Simon in here. He questions the actions of the Clave in not saving Mark and exiling Helen.

This tale is more emotional than the previous tales.

And I am definitely excited for the Lady Midnight for Julian and Emma.
Trina (Between Chapters)
I didn't think this one added much.
Hannah ♡
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Blackthorn siblings, my precious cinnamon rolls. It feels so good to see them again!💙
zainab_booklover
The description of the tale isn't accurate, it got few things wrong.

After Simon is kidnapped by faeries (why is he always kidnapped?), he uncovers rumours of a secret weapon Sebastian left behind for the faerie queen. He must escape the Fey, relying on his only ally, former Shadowhunter and Dark Artifices character Mark Blackthorn.

So for accuracy:
While on a mission, Simon fell into Faerieland; Mark did indeed save him and Isabelle too. However, there was no mentioning of the faerie queen nor S
Alaina
“Beauty can be like that. Beauty cannot be trusted. Beauty can slip through your fingers like water and burn on your tongue like poison. Beauty can be the shining wall that keeps you from all you love.”

WHY ARE THESE NOVELLAS MAKING ME SO GOD DAMN EMOTIONAL?!?!

WARNING! Spoilers below:
Don't look!
(view spoiler)

(view spoiler)
Scarlett
Dec 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Mark and the Blackthorns are breaking my heart.
Vivian
Mar 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Blackthorns and their love for each other is unlike any other. ;)
Michaela
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I feel so bad for Mark :(
~Bellegirl91~
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
**after reading Kieran's name in this story and can't help but think back to that most awkward text conversation with my cousin when she was reading Lord of Shadows....**

COUSIN: *after asking her where she was in the book* "They rescued Kieran and are in Seelie realm. Queen just approach Julian to talk."

ME: "I did Kieran after that He redeemed himself haha"

COUSIN: "You what?"

ME: And it's kinda funny with his dad's description cause he really did sound like Harvey Dent haha.
*THEN LOOKING BACK TO
Myrza H Darmaditya
Sep 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
"I wouldn’t want to be a Shadowhunter if I thought I was going to be a Shadowhunter like your father or your father’s father before him. And I wouldn’t like any of you as much as I do if I thought you were going to be Shadowhunters before you. I want all of us to be better. I haven’t figured out how to change everything yet, but I want everything to change. And I’m sorry if it upsets you, but I’m going to keep complaining."

It’s an emotional rollercoaster for me reading this. The thing that h
Bel
Jul 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
“Every night, no matter what has happened during the day, no matter if I am torn and bloodied or so bone-tired I wish I were dead, I look up at the stars and I give each star a brother's name or a sister's face. I will not sleep until I remember every one. The stars will burn out before I forget.”

Puede ser mas triste y mas cruel esta historia todo lo de mark ha sido super heartbreaking y todo lo que concierne a la familia de los blackthorne voy a sufrir mucho con lady midnight y ya me estoy
SARA
Mar 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-fiction
Pobre Mark...

“Hold him up to the light and he would shine a dozen different colors.”

• Maid-sama Marriage
  • The Assassin and the Healer (Throne of Glass, #0.2)
  • PとJK 2 (P to JK #2)
  • The Assassin and the Underworld (Throne of Glass, #0.4)
  • Shadow Me (Shatter Me, #4.5)
  • The Assassin and the Pirate Lord (Throne of Glass, #0.1)
  • The Assassin and the Empire (Throne of Glass, #0.5)
  • The Assassin and the Desert (Throne of Glass, #0.3)
  • Throne of Glass Box Set (Throne of Glass #0.5-7)
  • Ghostly Charms (A Harper Harlow Mystery, #14)
  • 椿町ロンリープラネット 12 [Tsubaki-chou Lonely Planet 12]
  • Tomas no quiere zapatos/ No Shoes for Tom! (El Barco De Vapor/ the Steam Boat)
  • L'amiga més amiga de la formiga Piga
  • Desafío
  • The Little Android (The Lunar Chronicles, #0.6)
Hello Goodreadsers. Here's my official bio:

Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy (10 books)
  • Welcome to Shadowhunter Academy (Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy, #1)
  • The Lost Herondale (Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy, #2)
  • The Whitechapel Fiend (Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy, #3)
  • Nothing but Shadows (Tales from Shadowhunter Academy, #4)
  • The Evil We Love (Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy, #5)
  • Pale Kings and Princes (Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy, #6)
  • The Fiery Trial (Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy, #8)
  • Born to Endless Night (Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy, #9)
  • Angels Twice Descending (Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy, #10)