Start by marking “The Evil We Love (Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Evil We Love (Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy, #5)

The Evil We Love

(Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy #5)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  13,042 ratings  ·  1,275 reviews

This standalone e-only short story follo
Published June 16th 2015 (first published 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Evil We Love, please sign up.
Kaylene I've been listening to all of the series as audiobooks. Great way to spend my time commuting to work and back.

·  13,042 ratings  ·  1,275 reviews

Start your review of The Evil We Love (Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy, #5)
Sasha Alsberg
Feb 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Valentine makes me sick. Not my favorite tale but I enjoyed the Sizzy bits!
Zoë
Mar 06, 2016 rated it liked it
This one was a tad slow, but I'm glad we got to see the reason behind some of Robert Lightwood's actions in The Mortal Instruments. However, I wish there was more about The Circle itself instead of just emotional turmoil and angst. Sizzy somewhat made up for it, though! ;D
description

Blurb: All evil starts somewhere, and Simon Lewis learns how The Circle—led by Valentine Morgenstern—began. One of ten adventures in Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy. The Shadowhunter Academy has only just reopened following the disastrous rise of the Circle. Now the faculty can finally admit to what happened when Valentine was a student.

So, the year in the Academy is ending and you ca
Maureen
Mar 11, 2016 rated it liked it
I didn't enjoy this one as much, though there were a lot of SIZZY FEELZ so that was great.
It felt like kind of the same plot device was used in Robert's story as was used in TMI, so that was slightly annoying. Why not use the same kind of situation but, idk, switch it up??
Anastasia
Mar 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.75/5 stars

The Evil We Love was the fifth book of Simon Lewis' adventures at Shadowhunter Academy. The character development in these short novellas is mindblowing. I can really see the old and new Simon blending together to form this nerdy warrior that I absolutely love...watch out Izzy. In this novella we get multiple flashbacks to the late 1900s when the Circle was forming. Some of these flashbacks were action packed and was important to the plot, but a couple felt misplaced and unimport
Alexa ❤️
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

A whole new side of Robert Lightwood has been revealed and it makes him seem more human in comparison to his mean character in TMI (excluding CoHF of course). We've been given background and what happened between him and his patabati and the inner workings of the circle.
(view spoiler)
Alina Lizzy
May 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Does this mean young Luke Garroway?

description

CUZ I'M THERE.
~Bellegirl91~
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
**ORIGINAL REVIEW STILL STANDS BUT WITH A FEW ADDED THINGS HERE AND THERE, BUT NOT MUCH**

GOSH! WHAT A STORY! What was interesting was not only was this a story of the circle and how it was rising to power before the Uprising, but it was also from Robert Lightwood's POV which made it even more fun and interesting to read. A few things I actually loved and just "liked"

LOVED:
*I loved to see Stephen Herondale and take away the cockiness and arrogance from him and add a "normal" typical Herondale...
Joana
I can't begin to explain how mad and crushed this story made me feel.

This story made me hate and despise Robert Lightwood and Valentine even more than I already did.

I already hated Robert for all he said and did to Alec, for all he did to his family. And then in City of Heavenly Fire Robert told Alec about Michael and I started hating him even more but actually seeing it happen... I fucking lost my mind.

My question is: How the fuck could Robert say those things to his Parabatai ?
Melanie
“He just knew, on a level beneath reason and memory, that some part of him belonged with Isabelle.”

Easily one of my least favorite short stories set in the Shadowhunter world. Simon is still struggling with his memories, and Izzy is being unnecessarily cruel about it, in my opinion. Then her dad, Robert Lightwood (yuck), and her come to teach the new academy kids an important lesson, while Izzy just goes out of her way to try to lash out and hurt Simon constantly. And Robert gives t
bec ɤ
Feb 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
❝ Love?” Michael smiled down at his hands. “Love, real love, is being seen. Being known. Knowing the ugliest part of someone, and loving them anyway. And . . . I guess I think two people in love become something else, something more than the sum of their parts, you know? That it must be like you’re creating a new world that exists just for the two of you. You’re gods of your own pocket universe. ❞

4.5 stars MICHAEL WAYLAND DESERVED BETTER

:((((((
Ikram
Jun 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crews, fantasy, ya
Best novella so far *swoons*
Mikee (ReadWithMikee)
Mar 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
This was probably my least favorite of the bunch so far partly because I don't particularly care about Robert Lightwood or Valentine or the Circle.

It was just interesting to see things from Robert's POV and it made us readers understand why Robert Lightwood was the way he was and why he did the things that he did. In a way, I kind of pity him because he has such a rocky relationship with his family and the man can't catch a break no matter how hard he tries. I do hope he does fix his relationshi
Pinky
May 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Finished another nouvella! It's so much fun reading these nouvellas and learning more history of different Shadowhunters. I wish I could go to Shadowhunter Academy or Hogwarts, both amazing and fun schools. Regular school is all about the fractions, and chemicals :( I am learning about radicals and boy, oh boy I hope I survive. Anyway, I am going through these nouvellas so fast, they are just sooo good!

“Loving someone doesn't mean you're never going to make mistakes.”

If you haven't heard
manuela
May 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'M IN TEARS!
I've always wanted to read more about the circle and its members and this was exactly what I wanted! I also loved getting to know more about Robert, his relationship with Michael Wayland (MY PRECIOUS BABY), and with Isabelle (that scene ruined me).
"Loving someone doesn't mean you're never going to make mistakes," he said. "I've made more than my share. I know that. And of some I will never have the chance to make up for."

Seriously, I need to bow down to Cassie because she did
Vivian
Mar 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Robert Lightwood you bastard!
Lia
I've always disliked Robert Lightwood, and even though his perspective on Valentine and the Circle was somewhat interesting, I still couldn't appreciate him as a narrating voice. Not only a coward, but also a prejudiced hypocrite? No, thanks. I did like Michael, his parabatai, and I really wish we'd seen more of him.
My least favorite novella so far.
HeatherLovesReading
Mar 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars
3.5/5 STARS

I wish there was less Valentine and Robert and more Simon and Izzy
Dario Fedeli
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-english
Those novellas are so freaking amazing; each of them in their own way. Seeing Robert's story was amazing and then... Sizzy!!
Kelsey Marie
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2016
Oh I loved this one!! Why is this one so far into the series? This is what I've been wanting! I mean, I get why it's so many stories in, it has to be, but (view spoiler) And the story about The Circle was extremely interesting. ...more
lolo'
Mar 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Summary: Valentine is crazy, Roberts an ass, SIMON JUST TELL HER HOW YOU FEEL, and izzy stop being rude cmon!

Congrats on your first year at the academy Simon :)
Alison
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Some Circle backstory in this one! It was great to read about what was so appealing about Valentine, and the dynamics of the inner circle of the group.
KIKI
Apr 26, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
3.5 Stars!

“I’d like all of you to ask yourselves what you would have done, were you a student here in Valentine Morgenstern’s day. Would you have joined the Circle? Would you have stood by Valentine’s side at the Uprising? Raise your hand, if you think it’s possible.”

Simon was unsurprised to see not a single hand in the air. He’d played this game back in mundane school, every time his history class covered World War II. Simon knew no one ever thought they would be a Nazi.

Simon also knew that,
zainab_booklover
A cautionary tale that we can easily fall prey to brilliant psychopaths; especially if we were unaware of that they were and more so if we were unfortunate enough to love them.
Thibaut Nicodème
Dec 14, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: snark
Full review on my blog, the Snark Theater.

So…in this series that is decidedly not Simon's story but everything Clare wants to show us, this time, we get Robert's backstory leading up to the one event we know about his past: Michael Wayland's love for him. Robert's still hateful, but honestly, I could still ship this. Probably.

In the present day, we have negative progress. Today's story involves Isabelle being out of character the entire time, but hey, it was on purpose. So nothing's gained, noth
Maye
Mar 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, novella
“History, the way the teachers liked it, was a racetrack, a straight shot from start to finish line; life itself was more of a maze.”
Squeeeel, Sizzy for the win! Ghaaad, I'm shipping them so hard! The way they dance around each other melts my heart.

Anyway, the story about Valentine's circle was quite interesting. I've always wondered about it, them, the circle. Seeing Jocelyn and Valentine and Luke and Valentine was also intriguing. Now I want to know Valentine pre-TMI. The Valentine that Jo
Amélie Boucher
Feb 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

Let's be honest here: this story was disappointing. I had hoped we would learn more about the rising of the Circle, and while we did, that was not exactly it. We did see the Circle at its beginning, but we did not see it rise to power, like I thought we would.

The story itself is quite interesting. I liked seeing the parallel between the past and the present. I could see from the very beginning how similar the two times were, and, therefore, was not really surprised by th
Megan
Dec 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, reviewed
Despite what I've previously said of Cassandra Clare I am WEAK and I couldn't help but pick up a few of her works in her companion series Shadow Hunter Academy.

I've been curious about Michael Wayland for years ever since he started showing up in Cassandra Jean's tarot card series (her art is gorgeusssss)And after reading this little companion thing can I just say....WHY. WHYYYY.

There's not much to say in terms of criticizing the writing or the plot considering this was such a small snippet. It
Sylvia
This novella focused on Simon and he's fellow Shadowhunter friends learning about doing what is right, even if it meant hurting the ones you loved. This was carried out by Robert Lightwood and his stories on his time in the Circle with Valentine. It provided much insight into the reason's why Robert is the way he is, and I'm almost disliking him more for how much of a coward he was for turning his back on Michael Wayland, his parabatai, after he finally admitted the truth to him.
I'm also a litt
Cat
Nov 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, books-2015
ALL THE SIZZY FEELS!
I would have given this ebook 5 stars if we had found out more about the Circle.
The Sizzy bits were so good and heartbreaking and I really wanted to smack Izzy at one point.
As a massive Sizzy shipper the last line gave me so much hope and I can only cross my fingers that Cassie won't disappoint me. I want my OTP to be together like Clace and Malec is together.

• The Assassin and the Healer (Throne of Glass, #0.2)
  • The Assassin and the Pirate Lord (Throne of Glass, #0.1)
  • The Assassin and the Underworld (Throne of Glass, #0.4)
  • Percy Jackson and the Stolen Chariot (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #4.6)
  • The Assassin and the Empire (Throne of Glass, #0.5)
  • The Assassin and the Desert (Throne of Glass, #0.3)
  • Fracture Me (Shatter Me, #2.5)
  • Shadow Me (Shatter Me, #4.5)
  • Ghostly Charms (A Harper Harlow Mystery, #14)
  • The Lost Sisters (The Folk of the Air, #1.5)
  • Maddigan's Fantasia
  • Some Pig and a Mummy Dig (A Southern Belles and Spells Matchmaker Mystery, #4)
  • Carswell's Guide to Being Lucky (The Lunar Chronicles, #3.1)
Hello Goodreadsers. Here's my official bio:

Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy (1 books)
  • Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy