Jump to ratings and reviews
Simon learns the worst crime a Shadowhunter can commit: desertion of their comrades. In the early nineteenth century, Tobias Herondale abandoned his fellow Shadowhunters in the heat of battle and left them to die. His life was forfeit, but Tobias never returned, and the Clave claimed his wife’s life in exchange for Tobias’s. Simon and his fellow students are shocked to learn of this brutality, especially when it is revealed the woman was pregnant. But what if the child survived... could there be a lost Herondale line out in the world today?

98 pages, ebook

First published March 17, 2015

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Cassandra Clare

191 books261k followers
Hello Goodreadsers. Here's my official bio:

"Cassandra Clare was born overseas and spent her early years traveling around the world with her family and several trunks of fantasy books. Cassandra worked for several years as an entertainment journalist for the Hollywood Reporter before turning her attention to fiction. She is the author of City of Bones, the first book in the Mortal Instruments trilogy and a New York Times bestseller. Cassandra lives with her fiance and their two cats in Massachusetts."

You can find me online at

www.cassandraclare.com

I have a blog:

and a Facebook:

and a Twitter:

www.twitter.com/cassieclare

I'll be available here on Goodreads to answer questions for a Goodreads Author Discussion starting September 18 — http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/3...

Go sign up so you don't miss the conversation when it starts!

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
471 reviews553 followers
June 25, 2015
|4.5 I'm on the floor crying stars|

description

"Like all Herondales, his ability to love without measure, without end, was both his great gift and his great curse."

I feel my heart shattering inside my chest and it's the most beautiful and painful feeling ever.
Will, oh, Will...
description

I really need to put myself together but, man, it's been almost two years since Clockwork Princess and I still feel the loss.

Yeah, so, The Lost Herondale, yes.

I'd like to write something witty about how cool this story was and how it deals with prejudice and how everything isn't black and white, trust me, I do, and I also would like to tell you how great was seeing Simon and Clary reconnect somehow and how utterly sad I felt for Izzy but the Herondale story got me really bad and it brought back so many memories and feelings I'm actually crying while typing this. Plus, I'm listening to Ed Sheeran so you can guess my mood.

I so need a drink or hot chocolate after this.
Profile Image for Maureen.
484 reviews4,218 followers
March 10, 2016
I AM PRETTY EMOTIONAL ABOUT THAT ENDING.
ALSO FEELING A LOT OF SIZZY FEELINGS.
Also I still love Simon OBVIOUSLY.
Profile Image for Katerina.
420 reviews16.7k followers
July 9, 2017
“Every student, Shadowhunter and mundane alike, knew the name Herondale. It was Jace’s last name. It was the name of heroes.”

That's me whenever the name Herondale is mentioned.

To be honest, I'm pretty sure my rating for The Lost Herondale (who was sure he was never lost when he was finally found) is a little unfair but I can't help it since I already know who this mysterious lost Herondale is (that's what happens when you don't follow the proper reading order). It was a gripping story, though, that showed how savage the Clave can be in the name of justice etc. Thumbs up for the scene between Clary and Simon, I never shipped them as a romantic couple, but when it comes to friendship Climon for the win!
Profile Image for Anastasia.
134 reviews68 followers
March 21, 2016
5/5 stars

The Lost Herondale was a fast paced and informative second book in the Tales from the Shadowhunter Acadamy. Simon Lewis is definitely different from the Simon I grew to love during the Mortal Instruments series, but I'm starting to love the new him too. He's still quirky and nerdy just like the best of us, and he doesn't succumb to peer pressure. Simon Lewis is going to be the strongest hero to ever grace Idris. There weren't many awkward information dumps, or stiff scenes and there was an amazing amount of character development for the second installment.
I will write a full review on the bind up once I finish all of the novellas.
Profile Image for Sandra.
378 reviews16 followers
Want to read
February 16, 2015
"...could there be a lost Herondale line out in the world today?"

"...COULD THERE BE A LOST HERONDALE LINE OUT IN THE WORLD TODAY?"

*dying*
Profile Image for Melanie.
1,148 reviews97.7k followers
October 18, 2018
“We all have our own story of the Dark War. All of us lost something. Some of us lost everything.”

We get to see Simon and twenty of his classmates try and kill their first law breaking Downworlder, but it happens to be a vampire that new Simon before his memories were lost. We get to learn a story about Tobias Herondale, the younger brother of Will, and it is heartbreaking. This story really shows how there are always two sides to a story, and in this case three. I love Catarina so very much, and I really enjoyed the message about how you have to be the person you want to be, and to always listen to your heart. Also, Jon is such a little shit. Also, also, I’m not here for the Izzy pity party, especially with everything Simon has had to go through since he got thrust into this world even though he never asked for any of it. Also, also, also there is an uncharted Herondale line? Lord, help us all.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch

(I read this in Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy!) ✨
Profile Image for Sofii♡ (A Book. A Thought.).
401 reviews426 followers
April 2, 2016
“For the first time, he looked at her, and she wasn’t a stranger, she was Clary—his friend. His family. The girl he’d sworn always to protect. The girl he loved as fiercely as he loved himself.”

This was amazing! . I loved it :)

Especially that end ...:3 Clary and Simon!

Another Herondale on earth living as worldly, I hope someone find him ,God!, has to do it !!

These novels filled with feelings my heart :D!!!!!!!!
Profile Image for Athena ღ.
226 reviews135 followers
July 9, 2018
“Like all Herondales, his ability to love without measure, without end, was both his great gift and his great curse.”
Profile Image for Mikee (ReadWithMikee).
203 reviews1,273 followers
February 9, 2017
NOOOOO. YOU'RE KIDDING ME!

There's actually a lost Herondale line out there roaming around in the mundane world without actually knowing they have Shadowhunter blood flowing in their veins?

You're torturing me, Cassandra!

I want to know who this lost Herondale is!
November 27, 2017
"We all have our own story of the Dark War. All of us lost something. Some of us lost everything".

"Todos tenemos nuestra propia historia de la Guerra Oscura. Todos perdimos algo. Pero algunos de nosotros lo perdimos todo".

The Lost Herondale nos cuenta un poco sobre las dos versiones que se pueden tener de una historia. Por una parte, están los Shadowhunters que ven a Tobias Herondale como un ejemplo negativo, un traidor y un cobarde; y, por otra, están los Downworlders que lo recuerdan con cariño. Simon está aprendiendo todo nuevamente sobre el mundo de las sombras, pero tiene clarísimo que, a pesar de querer ser un Shadowhunter para recuperar sus recuerdos, nunca dejará de cuestionar lo absurda que puede ser a veces la Ley.

Lo que en realidad me encantó de The Lost Herondale es ver lo vulnerables que pueden ser personajes como Izzy y Clary. Simon no es el único que lo está pasando fatal por haber perdido sus recuerdos, y el ver cómo estas dos chicas que lo adoran intentan ser fuertes por él es desgarrador. Creo que, poco a poco, Simon me vuelve a caer bien.
Profile Image for beautyliterate.
311 reviews1,386 followers
March 8, 2016
FROM THE TITLE ALONE I KNEW THIS WAS GONNA BE A GOOD ONE
loving these novellas so far!
Profile Image for Alexa ❤️.
216 reviews119 followers
March 9, 2017
5 Stars

Hazar Simon is finally regaining a few memories!

I really hope Simon and Clary become parabati or something I'll be seriously disappointed after all this foreshadowing if they don't!

Loving all the Star Trek and doctor who references there needs to be more shadow hunter nerds! How can anyone not know what manga is?!

Tobias Herondale's story was interesting and it explains where Christian Herondale (lady Midnight came from).
Profile Image for Icy.
195 reviews15 followers
March 19, 2015
Review
It is sad that I do not like it as much as I wanted. Maybe I expected too much... I like the true story of Tobias Herondale but the other part is just okay...
Hope that the next story will be better(・ω・)ノ

Pre-read
Tobias Herondale? Tobias Herondale?
I am so excited right now
Profile Image for Alessia.
147 reviews241 followers
March 14, 2016
3.5 stelline
Datemi. Subito. Altri. Herondale.
Profile Image for Wren (fablesandwren).
666 reviews1,498 followers
September 17, 2020
This book makes me believe that you should read these books before you state The Dark Artifices series. Because that question at the end of that synopsis? Yeah, that's a spoiler.

Um, well, this was not a phenomenally enjoyable of a read, but it was informative.

Simon is such a cutie and I just want to snuggle him. I also still feel bad for the fact he is feeling all these feelings but his mind doesn't have the memories to back those up.

Profile Image for Ash.
382 reviews39 followers
May 30, 2015
3.5
Yes! this was much better! Probably because it wasn't just about the present. I love history, even if it is fictional. I also really love the Herondale line so even just a little mention of Will Herondale makes me a happy little girl.
Profile Image for Pinky.
490 reviews277 followers
March 6, 2016
I finished this ebook two weeks ago and I didn't update my status because I wanted to write a review. It's kind of like a routine now, I finish a book and write a review. But since I never get the time to read, I never get time to write reviews. I love writing reviews and sharing my thoughts about a book but I always have something in my way. Today, it is almost 12 AM and I am determined to finish a book review for this book. I am procrastinating on book reviews! UGH!

If you haven't read the mortal instraments, DO NOT READ THIS REVIEW! IT HAS SPOILERS. But if you have, I will talk a little bit about Shadowhunter Academy.

This book takes place after the events in City of Heavenly Fire. After Simon's sacrifice, he is left with no longer knowing himself. He is missing one side of his life and he wants to find the answers to all of his questions. He had a different life, but he doesn't remember it. He remembers his loved ones, but not in the same way as he used to. He feels like he is a hallow shell of himself. He feels empty. And that is why he went to Shadowhunter Academy.

“Every decision you make, makes you. Never let other people choose who you’re going to be.”

Every single time I read one of these nouvellas, I feel depressed because of how Simon feels. I mean, he never said the words, but I feel like he thinks:

I cry when I read about his feelings and how much he has to go through because of the fact that he does not remember the past. It's so heart-breaking to see how all of the bonds and amazing relationships were forgotten. But, Simon might remember everything, I hope. I need to read on and find out!

Simon and Isabelle's bond is so frustrating to read because it isn't their fault. They both have to suffer and I feel like my body is falling apart or something. It does not feel right, to see both of my favorite characters suffer. They both deserve better and I just can't stop imagining the pained looks on their faces. IT'S JUST SO PAINFUL!

I loved reading more about the Herondales and exploring more of the world of Shadowhunters. It's interesting to read about different things that I don't know about in this world. It was really unique and I can't wait to read more! I have all of the nouvellas and I am GOING to finish them. Plus, Lady Midnight is coming out in 2 days. (I said two because I looked at the time and it is already 12:00 which means it's a new day... Good morning!)

“We are all what our pasts have made us,” Catarina said. “The accumulation of thousands of daily choices. We can change ourselves, but never erase what we’ve been.”

The characters were awesome as always and it was nice to see Clary. I love Isabelle and she is so strong and I loved how Clary supports her. Simon was awesome but he got me so frustrated at times and you already know why. I just wish he could try to be a little nicer, but I still feel him and understand that he is going under a lot of pressure.

“She was like an avenging angel, her vengeance swift and deadly.”

I highly recommend you read this if you have read the mortal instruments, you might be spoiled on things if you are planning on reading Lady Midnight. I am planning on reading Lady Midnight (obviously!) and I want to finish this series as fast as possible. I CAN'T BELIEVE IT GETS RELEASED IN TWO DAYS. (Still need to read Winter though, I know, I am a horrible fan.)

Anyway, see ya, I'll be in the corner reading my books. :)

Profile Image for Angigames.
1,219 reviews
August 13, 2015
Cara Cassandra, non puoi parlarmi di Tobias Herondale (cognome che già solo a sentire mi vengono gli occhi a cuoricino!)… e lasciare tutto così, solo fumo. Niente arrosto.
E no! Non va bene Clare! Così mi fai bruciare dalla curiosità!
IO VOGLIO CONOSCERE QUESTO NUOVO RAMO HERONDALE. LO VOGLIO ORA.
Ok.. calmiamoci, non è il caso… spero che la Clare scriva in fretta tutto! Ogni cosa!
Ora passiamo a Simon. Simon che non vuole essere quello di prima, l’eroe, il vampiro o altro. Che si comporta come sempre da persona intelligente, solo per scivolare come un melone senza buccia quando si tratta di Isabelle! Povera Isabelle! Essere tornato normale ha fatto ricadere su Simon la maledizione del cromosoma Y! Nessuno ne è immune, neanche un eroe come lui!
Novella carina, divertente, adoro George! Simon fa tenerezza e le ultime pagine con Clary sono veramente toccanti!
Aspetto la prossima novella!
Profile Image for Mariah Smith (Vibin With Books).
193 reviews47 followers
March 9, 2016
IM SCREAMING INTERNALLY FOR SO MANY REASONS, BUT MOSTLY BECAUSE THERES ANOTHER HERONDALE OUT IN THE WORLD. BLESS YOU CASSANDRA, BLESS YOU AND YOUR BEAUTIFUL SOUL
Profile Image for Thibaut Nicodème.
571 reviews131 followers
December 13, 2015
Full review on my blog, the Snark Theater.

Technically, aren't Alec and Isabelle also Herondales? (suddenly realized that they descended from Cecily, so…y'know.) I just feel like talking about a "lost" one is kind of irrelevant when there are already still a few. But even if we only considered patrilineal heritage for some reason, please don't ever bring more Herondales. Don't. Just don't.

Aside from that, 1) the Academy sends kids on a deadly mission while laughing at the thought of danger 2) the Academy's guest lecturers are fucking bigots and why why why why why is this happening 3) cowardice is the worst crime a Shadowhunter can commit and that should be enough to figure out why they suck so much as heroes 4) everyone acts like Simon should get back with Isabelle when he barely remembers her and I just hate it. It's terrible, and more importantly (to me), it really shits on the character of Isabelle.
Profile Image for Jess.
308 reviews126 followers
July 13, 2016

Me muero. Cada pequeña referencia a la línea de los Herondale y a Will hace que mi corazón explote de feelings ♡ La historia de Tobias es muy triste. Damn you, Cassandra, siempre haciéndome sufrir. En realidad, todo en esta novela te hace querer llorar muy fuerte.

Simon.
“It’s what it means to be alive. Every decision you make, makes you. Never let other people choose who you’re going to be.”
Simon e Isabelle.
“Be careful with her. She’s more fragile than she seems.”
“She seems like the strongest girl I’ve ever met.”
“She’s that, too.”
Simon y Clary.
“For the first time, he looked at her, and she wasn’t a stranger, she was Clary–his friend. His family. The girl he’d sworn always to protect. The girl he loved as fiercely as he loved himself.”
Aún no me hago a la idea de que todo ha cambiado :(
Profile Image for Ana Fernández.
296 reviews1 follower
February 11, 2016
"Como todos los Herondale, su capacidad de amar sin medida, sin fin, era a la vez su gran don y su gran maldición."

4.5. Bueno ese dato del Herondale perdido oh mi Dios y es que además mencionan a mi Will y a mi los feels se me alborotan. Y Simon, siempre con sus respuestas carismáticas, me hace reír un montón como lo adoro. ¡Cassie devuelve los recuerdos a ese hombre que me estás matando! Ah, me estoy encariñando con George...
Profile Image for Marija.
428 reviews89 followers
March 17, 2015
THESE NOVELLAS ARE TOO DAMN SHORT AND DO NOT HAVE A SATISFYING CONCLUSION.

I love the characters and some quotes are beautiful but DAMN I WANTED ANOTHER HERONDALE TO LOVE.

Did I get a Herondale?

Nope.

Although there is a sneak peak for Lady Midnight. Some hardcore fans my want to read this. I already ship Julian and Emma so much *sobs*
Profile Image for Madison.
182 reviews18 followers
August 20, 2016
Rating 3.75 stars!
This one wasn't as good as the first one, but still enjoyable.
Can't wait to read the 3rd one!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 1,473 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.