Start by marking “The Christmas Calamity (Hardman Holidays, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Christmas Calamity (Hardman Holidays, #3)

The Christmas Calamity

(Hardman Holidays #3)

Have you ever had something take you by surprise?

Experience the magic of the holiday season in this sweet Victorian romance.

Dependable and solid, Arlan Guthry relishes his orderly life as a banker’s assistant in Hardman, Oregon.

His uncluttered world spins off kilter when the beautiful and enigmatic prestidigitator Alexandra Janowski arrives in town, spinning magic and
Published November 13th 2014 (first published November 10th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Christmas Calamity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Christmas Calamity

Start your review of The Christmas Calamity (Hardman Holidays, #3)
✨ Gramy ✨
The Christmas Calamity is the third installation in the 'Hardman Holidays' series that focuses on Arlan Guthry, the junior partner of the local town bank -and- Alexandra Janowski, the Amazing Alex, a traveling Phantasmagorical and Prestidigitator. The reader will see these two unusual words repeatedly throughout the readings. It became quite annoying at times.

DESCRIPTION:

Experience the magic of the holiday season with this sweet Victorian romance from USA Today Bestselling Author Shanna
Courtney
Feb 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
If you are in the mood for a wonderful Christmas story, one full of adventure and romance, then "The Christmas Calamity" by Shanna Hatfield is the story for you. Dive into this small town and see what has all of the towns people talking!
Joyce Krebs
Dec 06, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I actually couldn’t finish this book ....it was too hokey.
Faith
The Christmas Calamity

Introduction:
Do you like phantasmagorical books? What about ones about teachers? Or perhaps you like bankers? Oh, and did I mention big words? You’ve come to the right place, Ladies and Gentlemen! Step right up and prepare to be amazed.

Characters: 1/1
Alexandra is a colorful character with insecurities and creativity. Arlan was introduced in the previous two books and the quiet, sometimes uptight banker stole my heart in this book. As they work out their differences and fall
Judy Esposito
Nov 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A Sweet Story For The Holidays!

I so enjoyed this third book in the Hardman Holiday series. After reading The Christmas Bargain and The Christmas Token, I was very taken with Arlan and wished for him to have a book of his own. And of course, he would have to have a beautiful heroine to round out the story and a hea and the author gave him one in the form of Alex. Shanna Hatfield wrote another wonderful book filled with humor, romance, family and a little suspense. She brought back the wonderful
Cindy Caron
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my! I laughed and cried throughout the entire story. Ms. Hatfield certainly has a wonderful gift when it comes to putting her imagination to paper, as is experienced with this book. Her characters are well thought out and perfectly set in a time period that not only suits them, but enhances them as well. Arlan being the perfect hero, stopping to help a fellow being stuck on the side of the road, even though the fellow turned out to be a damsel in distress that was about to turn his well ...more
Glenda Kinard
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Each one of the Hardman series by Shanna Hatfield makes me we wish for simpler times and there really was a Hardman Oregon to escape the hustle and bustle of this life. Christmas Calamity was quite a delightful read. I loved the enigmatic prestidigitator Alexandra Janowski she was such a complete opposite of Arlan Guthry and just the woman he needed to make his solid dependable daily life anything but ordinary. I love how Shanna Hatfield can take two completely opposites and make their lives ...more
Tracy Sylvester
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed Alex and Arlan's story. This Christmas Calamity kept me on the edge of my seat. It had romance, intrigue and some comedic content. When a traveling magician (Alex) arrives in town things begin to change for Arlan the local bank worker. He's intrigued by her and befriends her. When a position opens up at a local school house for a teacher Alex decides to temporarily take over the teaching position to pay for her wagon repairs. Alex begins to fall in love with the town and the people, ...more
Cheryl
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A delightful Christmas story

I really enjoyed this story. It was filled with love, suspense, Christmas, joy and did I say love. This is an entertaining read for any season of the year!
Aug 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to love this one, but I had to settle for liking it. It's set in the 1880s, so the diamond engagement ring and Jingle Bells threw me right out of the story. Those things came about later. Jingle Bells wasn't a Christmas Song until the early 20th century.
Susan R. Lundine
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sweet and clean

This is a fun, sweet romance. I loved the idea of a female magician in the old west making her own way in the world, and the way she used magic tricks as a teacher. Well done.
Abbie
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing calamity

Romances are meant to entertain, this one does that. Characters are meant to be brought to life with words, this one does that. It's the words Shauna Hatfield used book after book to tell a story of love in a new way that is simply amazing.
Mary Jane McLeod
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great series

I have really enjoyed the books in this series. I like the fact the characters from the first books carry through into the next which gives an ongoing story and let's you see what happens with the previous characters.
Julynn
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another magical tale from Hardman. I LOVE these characters and how we get to follow them year by year. Arlan and Alexandra's story did not disappoint and it left me excited to read the next installment. Thank you Ms. Hatfield!
Nana
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Could he be under her magical spell?

Love at first sight. Decision of choosing between two women; defending one's reputation, and helping find justice for her father's death. Exciting reading
Marli
Dec 27, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet story, but needs some major editing of verb tenses. The past simple is often used instead of past perfect, causing confusion at times.
Crystal
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing!

Alex and Arlan are turkey terrific characters, especially Alex! I love them both so dearly, and their story warmed my heart.
Kay
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoying this series!
Emily
Jan 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Free download. Sweet story, but the writing could have been better.
Rose Marie Ray
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a great third book in the Hardman series. Blake and Ginny finally see each other after several years and find out they do still love each other. They are married after several conflicting problems but find they can work things out together for good.
Elizabeth Smith
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awesome

Another awesome story! So entrancing and captivating! Enjoy reading all of these sets of stories. They are fast paced and enthralling.
Cindy
A great series where every book takes place at Christmas. Perfect December reads for the western historical romance fan! Hatfield does a lot of research into her books and always notes at the end of the book some of the things she learned in her research which I always find fascinating.
Julie Lence
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shanna-hatfield
Add The Christmas Calamity by Shanna Hatfield to your Christmas reading list. Arlan and Alex are certain to capture your attention and keep you turning the pages. Employed by the bank because of his skill with numbers, Arlan is a shy gentleman, but he is no weakling. Alex is a traveling magician Arlan helps when her wagon breaks down outside of town. Intrigued by her magic tricks, and drawn to her beauty, Arlan tries to convince himself he is only trying to help a female in need when he ...more
JaneReads
Nov 15, 2015 rated it liked it
The main character of this story is Arlan, from the previous two books in the series we know that he is Luke’s assistant at the bank, but other than that we don’t know much about him. I enjoyed getting to know him in this one. Alex gets stuck in town after her wagon breaks down on her way through the area. Arlan comes across her in her moment of distress and shows what a gentleman he is.

Alex was an interesting character. I enjoyed how she interacted with Arlan’s friends and the students. Luke
Cici
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Yummy

I loved Alex. A very modern woman willing to take so many risks. An orphan who is a magician. The little town of
Hardman has never seen anything like her. The town needs her and her own brand of magic. The chemistry is great!
Sue
Nov 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: christmas
Enjoyed it, but the first is still the best. I think the abusive situation the girl escaped was what caught my attention. But this is a fun little community, which for a Christmas novella that and children really add to any enjoyment.
Patricia
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nfms
Alex and Arlan are such wonderful characters. I enjoyed their love story. I am looking forward to book 4 in this fun Christmas series.
Darlene
Nov 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful story!! It captured my attention at the start and kept me turning the pages until I finished.
Donna Campbell
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
What a fun story!

This was a great story with fun characters. All of the children were fun and I loved her teaching style. It was a sweet romance.

• The Partridge: The First Day (The 12 Days of Christmas Mail-Order Brides, #1)
  • Nine Ladies Dancing (Belles of Christmas, #4)
  • Brink of Danger (Fog Lake Mysteries #3)
  • A Merry Miracle in Romance (Christmas in Romance #2)
  • Make-Believe Fiancé
  • Rains of Remorse (Lantern Beach Romantic Suspense #5)
  • No Other Will Do (Ladies of Harper’s Station, #1)
  • The Demise (Braxton #1)
  • The Christmas Heirloom: Four Holiday Novellas of Love Through the Generations
  • Bargain for Baby (Cowboys and Angels, #10)
  • A Time to Treasure (A Time for Everything #1)
  • The Lady and the Highwayman
  • The Hens: The Third Day (The 12 Days of Christmas Mail-Order Brides, #3)
  • Holding Onto Love in Romance (Christmas in Romance #3)
  • Santa's Visit in Romance (Christmas in Romance #6)
  • God Rest Ye Merry Spinster (The Spinster Chronicles, Book 5)
  • Fifteen Minutes of Fame (Three Rivers Ranch Romance Book 12)
  • The Piper: The Eleventh Day (The 12 Days of Christmas Mail-Order Brides, #11)
A hopeless romantic with a bit of sarcasm thrown in for good measure, Shanna Hatfield is a best-selling author of clean romantic fiction written with a healthy dose of humor.

In addition to blogging and eating too much chocolate, she is completely smitten with her husband, lovingly known as Captain Cavedweller.

Shanna creates character-driven romances with realistic heroes and heroines. Her

Hardman Holidays (7 books)
  • The Christmas Bargain, (Hardman Holidays, #1)
  • The Christmas Token (Hardman Holidays, #2)
  • The Christmas Vow (Hardman Holidays, #4)
  • The Christmas Quandary (Hardman Holidays, #5)
  • The Christmas Confection (Hardman Holidays, #6)
  • The Christmas Melody (Hardman Holidays, #7)
“Kolacky Originating as a semisweet wedding dessert from Central Europe, Kolacky make a wonderful treat anytime, although many make them especially for Christmas. Here’s a modern version of a delicious recipe. Kolacky 1/2 cup butter, softened 1 (3oz) pkg. cream cheese, softened 1 1/4 cups flour 1/4 cup strawberry jam (any flavor works) 1/4 cup confectioner's sugar Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cream butter and cream cheese in a medium bowl. Beat until fluffy.  Add flour then mix well. Roll dough to 1/8 inch thickness on lightly floured surface. Traditionally, the pastry is cut into squares, but you can use a round biscuit cutter or glass if that’s what you have on hand. Place pastries two-inches apart on lightly greased cookie sheet. Spoon 1/4 tsp. jam onto each cookie. Fold opposite sides together. If you have trouble getting the sides to stick, dampen the edge with a drop of milk or water. Bake for 12 minutes. Cool completely on wire racks and sprinkle liberally with confectioner's sugar. It is nearly impossible to eat just one! Yield about 2 dozen.” 0 likes