Start by marking “Lady Catherine's Secret (Secrets and Seduction, #2)” as Want to Read:
Lady Catherine's Secret (Secrets and Seduction, #2)

Lady Catherine's Secret

(Secrets and Seduction #2)

Winner of the Where the Magic Begins contest for Best Historical Romance

London, 1853 – Lady Catherine and Alexander Gray share a passion… because Catherine IS Alexander Gray!

Despite Catherine’s love of fencing, she needs to stop pretending to be a boy and fraternizing with men…but not until after she competes in the upcoming fencing tournament! Her mother plans to marry h
Published December 1st 2014 by Flowers and Fullerton

To ask other readers questions about Lady Catherine's Secret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lady Catherine's Secret

Sissy's Romance Book Review
I received this book in exchange for an honest review
'Lady Catherine's Secret' by Sheridan Jeane is book two in the "Secrets and Seduction" series.
This is the story of Daniel, Marquess of Huntley and Lady Catherine. I do feel this was a standalone book, but I would tell you to read the previous book ' It Takes a Spy' just because it was such a great book.

Lady Catherine has been pretending to be Alexander Gray so that she can practice fencing along with her brother. Catherine and her brother ar
Regan Walker
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: victorian, fencing
Entertaining Victorian with Fencing Theme

Set in London in 1853, this is the story of Lady Catherine Williams who masquerades as a boy, Alexander Gray, to engage in her favorite pursuit, fencing. Her brother assists her in the ruse and joins her in the fencing school, where she prepares for a tournament she hopes to win. Her mother, who thought she left fencing behind when they left India, plans to marry her off at the end of the Season.

Enter Daniel, Marquess of Huntley, who is desperate to find
Tin
Dec 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
Disclosure: I received a review copy from the author. Yes, this is an honest review.

* * *

I always find it interesting when the heroine in the story does something she isn't expected to. In Lady Catherine's case, she loves fencing and she dresses up as a boy in order to learn fencing from Bernini, the best fencing master in London. To be a young lady engaged in something so unladylike is already a dangerous thing, but, in Catherine's case, she has to be doubly careful: her father only recently in
Spunky N Sassy
Dec 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
~~~Doris's Review~~~

The year is 1853. The place is London. We all know the heavy constraints placed on women atthis time. You can't say the word " ankle", you said limb. You couldn't show your ankle that was highly improper, especially around men. You never were in a room with anyone of the opposite sex without a chaperone. Your reputation and that of your family would be
ruined. There were so many rules that the women had to follow.
Lady Catherine is a beautiful, striking young woman who has a se
Marti
Note from the author:
My books aren't edgy or stomach-churning. If you're looking for something dark and twisty, go elsewhere. If you're looking for something to take your mind off the world for a while and leave you feeling a bit better about life, then this is the book for you!

+ This is not a cliffhanger. Each book's hero and heroine have their own complete romance and HEA (happily ever after). Characters from the books will reappear throughout the series, but in supplementary roles.

++ The r
Kim
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Lady Catherine is an excellent historical intrigue that I found myself really immersed in. There is romance, mystery, thievery, and general spurn the society rules all rolled into one great read. The character development was excellent for everyone and the details were exquisite. I am not an expert in period pieces, so if there was anything incorrect I didn’t notice. What I did notice is that there seemed to be a lot of knowledge and research into making this a perfect story.

Lady Catherine is w
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
May 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
The second book in the Secrets & Seductions series but a standalone (as they all are), Lady Catherine's Secret tells of her rise to 'Lady' from Miss, as well as her secret fetish... fencing! Now obviously, in 1853 ladies had very strict guidelines to follow and fencing was definitely something not on that list. Cat isn't about to let that stop her though, and uses an alias of Alexander Gray so that she can attend lessons. Things change though when a new Lord appears on the scene. With mischi ...more
WiLoveBooks
Nov 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved this one. A heroine who doesn't want to play by society's rules. A hero who knows what he wants but not what he needs. Catherine loves fencing and is good at it but has to hide it from all but a few people. Not looking forward to finding a husband because she doesn't want to be controlled by someone else. Hates having to live two separate lives. Huntley is looking for a bride and thinks Catherine might be a good one until he realizes she not the proper one that he's looking for. Romance, s ...more
Angela Goodrich
Lady Catherine has a secret and for a lady of the ton it's a BIG secret. A scandalous secret. A secret that could ruin both Lady Catherine and her family. Lady Catherine is an accomplished fencer. While that is bad enough, the aspect of her accomplishment that would cause her family's ruination is that to partake of training she dresses as a boy and must enter the men's dressing room. That she does so in her brother's company would not preserve her reputation as there is still the matter of her ...more
Book Gannet
3.5 stars.

This was a pleasant historical read, with a nice romance between the protagonists, rather a lot of fencing terminology and a little bit of action towards the end. It’s slow-moving throughout and the romance never quite gripped me as much as I’d hoped. The plot meanders about a bit too, making me think we were going in one direction, before actually going somewhere else.

Such as the tension between Grey and the Wentworth on their first meeting. I expected at least something to come of th
R.C. Matthews
Jan 19, 2015 rated it liked it
This story started off with a lot of promise. I enjoyed the interaction and banter between Catherine (Lady Catherine Williams) and Daniel (Lord Huntley, Marquess). If you're looking for a story that gives interesting insight into the plight of women at the time (i.e. unable to engage in a sport like fencing as it was deemed unladylike), then you'll enjoy this story.

But, quite honestly, there wasn’t enough interaction between the H/h for me to buy into their love story. I read romance novels ...
Farrah
Nov 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Lady Catherine's Secret was a nice historical romance. It was sweet, though not particularly memorable, and I enjoyed reading it.

Both main characters were good. Catherine was definitely strong-willed, though a little reckless, and determined to be herself despite society's rules. Daniel was sweet and accepted Catherine as she was, rather than who society wanted her to be. I thought they were both likable.

The romance was sweet. Catherine and Daniel were well matched and loved each other for who t
Petula
Dec 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the 2nd book in a series but reads easily as a stand alone.

Lady Catherine is "enjoying " a London season. Her mother is determined to find her a suitable husband. Their family is a little unorthodox because her father actually works. He is away on business at the moment, and her brother is dealing with a potential scandal.
Catherine has a huge secret that could ruin her whole family's reputation. She enjoys fencing. That is not the sort of thing a Lady should do,especially disguised as
Mellena
Jul 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have not enjoyed a book so much as I have Lady Catherine's Secret. This is book two of the Secrets and Seductions series and yet it is a complete standalone. Each book is its own story but is interwoven like a tapestry. They make up a big picture when looked at from a distance but can be enjoyed piece by piece.

The story is so unique and intriguing it kept me engaged and left me wanting more. I never wanted to put it down. By the end of the book I am wanting so many stories from so many of the
Mave
Dec 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
A month ago I have read the first book in this series It Takes a Spy, I liked it a lot and I could not wait to read the second. It can be read very well as a standalone because they are completely different stories. The link between these romances is that the protagonists are two strong women and nonconformist who fight for their freedom and rights.
Catherine loves fencing and is very good but unfortunately in 1853 women were not allowed to practice this sport. But she is a woman stubborn and reb
Catherine
Dec 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Catherine loved to fence, but I'm the 19th century that was forbidden to women. So with the help of her father and brother she disguised herself as a boy and did it anyway. This worked for years until the appearance of Lord Huntley. After Catherine saved his life he accidentally came across her secret, but promised to keep it. Unfortunately he wasn't the only one to learn her secret and when he tried to blackmail her with this information into a marriage, Huntley comes to her rescue. He'll marry ...more
S.
Dec 17, 2014 added it
I was given an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I loved this book! As far as historical romance goes this book was a winner! Sheridan Jeane obviously did her research! The book was not only historically accurate but went into vivid detail regarding fencing.

Lady Catherine had the unfortunate luck of being born before her time. She was most definitely a modern woman! It was sweet how her father and brother (Charles) supported her as best as they could. Her mother loved her very much as well b
Sadie
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
I'm so confused by all the 5 star reviews.

This book is wordy, slowly paced, and the author makes sure you see her research over and over and over again. Sometimes it felt like the author was writing a romance for modern readers and sometimes it felt like she wished she wrote historical fiction.

Also, the idea of a lady fencer sounds exciting, right?

Not so much. I trudged through the first 1/2 of the book. If it's exciting, it's after that.
Rose
Apr 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
I always like historical romances with strong and smart women and this one hit the mark. The fact that she was a great fencer and dressed as a man to take part in the sport made me love this. Also I enjoyed how this wasn't insta love but a slow build.
Lavinia
Dec 01, 2015
Pamela Jacques
Jan 07, 2015
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 18, 2015 07:45AM

WIN ecopy of It Takes a Spy…
Book #1 of The Secrets and Seduction Series. Winners selected monthly from new subscribers to my newsletter! Click
here
While growing up, Sheridan was an avid reader. She turned her hand to putting her own stories on paper, and when she it was time to choose a college she knew she wanted to be a writer.
Despite naming their daughter Sheridan because they th

Secrets and Seduction (4 books)
  • It Takes a Spy... (Secrets and Seduction, #1)
  • Once Upon a Spy (Secrets and Seduction, #3)
  • My Lady, My Spy (Secrets and Seduction, #4)