Start by marking “Shattered Dreams (Freedom Trilogy #1)” as Want to Read:
Shattered Dreams (Freedom Trilogy #1)

Shattered Dreams (Freedom Trilogy #1)

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,256 Ratings  ·  130 Reviews
Emma Greyson, age 22, has a loving husband, Max, and a newborn son, James. She is finally living her dream, until fate steps in and shatters everything.
Trying to deal with the death of her husband and learning how to be a single mom, Emma decides to move from Fort Drum, New York, back to her hometown of Sarasota, Florida.
Four years later, Emma has a fresh start with a new
Published December 1st 2014

To ask other readers questions about Shattered Dreams, please sign up.

Terri Kramer The 2nd book in this set is available now on Amazon for a really good price. I am in the middle of this first one now, and can't wait to start on the…moreThe 2nd book in this set is available now on Amazon for a really good price. I am in the middle of this first one now, and can't wait to start on the next.(less)
Romance the book doesn't need to be steamy. it has a very strong story line that will suck you in. It was a refreshing change of pace for me.

Give Me Books
Dec 24, 2014 Give Me Books rated it it was amazing
Oh Brenda Kennedy, you've left me stunned, my mouth wide open, with that ending...that is all I will say about that!! Let me first say that I loved, loved, loved Shattered Dreams!! The way you worded and covered Max and Emma's story, from the birth of their son and how they came to be a family, was beautifully done. When you described their feelings, emotions, failures, achievements and so on, I felt as I was the one going through them and it sucked me in completely.

Emma has no choice but to ke
Joan
This simply didn't work for me. Perhaps if it had been in third tense it might have been more readable, but I ended up bored out of my skull by all the rather tedious details including Emma's tingling nose, as well as several inexplicable changes of tense that made my head hurt.

I couldn't quite get to grips with a main character dying, especially when we have been in his head as well. It just seemed totally wrong somehow.

Emma came across as incredibly immature at times - sleeping with her baby i
DJ Sakata
Dec 23, 2014 DJ Sakata rated it really liked it
Favorite Quotes:

“My big strong soldier wears his heart on his sleeves and his emotions on his face. Max never fears for himself but fears for me instead.”

“She want to wear her Batman costume, but I persuade her to wear regular school clothing. I guess I did the right thing, but I wonder. Usually, it is a good idea to be yourself, but if you can be Batman, maybe you should be Batman.”

My Review:

I am shocked and amazed, there was no actual sex in this book…none at all, none, zero, nada. Yet I liked
Books Laid Bare
Dec 23, 2014 Books Laid Bare rated it really liked it
This is a stunningly beautiful tale of having and losing a love you thought would last forever and the struggle to pick up the pieces of your life, moving on and allowing your heart to love again.
The subject matter is close to home for many, in that it Emma and Max are a military family.
Emma was married to probably one of the sweetest characters you will ever read about- Max. He not only loved her unconditionally but he was a career military man and despite the fact that they had a new baby, he
Nicole
Dec 10, 2014 Nicole rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I'l be apart of the Blog Tour on 12/15/14.

I'm still finding it hard to contain all of my emotions. This was certainly an emotional read for me. I was ugly crying like crazy. It hits super close to home for me. I myself am an Army wife.

Emma is married to Max. He's a Soldier. Emma just gave birth, which is a super happy thing. Although they have some elephant in the room, and that's deployment. He's up for deployment in about six months. While
She Hearts Books
Dec 18, 2014 She Hearts Books rated it really liked it
Emma and Max are married and just had their first baby. They are so sweet together and have such a deep love for each other. They begin to make plans for when he is discharged from the military and then he is deployed. Emma's nightmare comes true and she and her little man have to begin a new life together. She moves to Florida to be close to family four years later and meets Alex. She begins to fall for him and then his secret comes out.

I fell in love with Emma and Max as they fell in love with
Romance
Dec 21, 2014 Romance rated it it was amazing
PREPARE YOURSELVES FOR AN AMAZING, BEAUTIFUL AND STRONG STORY OF LOVE, LOVE LOST AND THE BEGINNING OF NEW LOVE!!!

Emma is your girl next door. She's a military wife with a brand new baby and you can feel the love between her and her hubby, Max. I fell for Max, always loving and caring and just an amazing hubby. He hated to leave Emma with their brand new baby but you know how it is when you're a military family. Country first.

Max is struggling being away from the love of his life and his baby. Al
Michele
Jan 06, 2015 Michele rated it it was amazing
I am still an emotional wreck from this book!! This book shredded me emotional, just thinking about it brings tears to my eyes. I completely recommend this book and a box of tissues!! Emma and Max, true love that ends too soon. Emma and James a beautiful Mommy and Son connection. Emma and Brooke, everyone needs a friend like Brooke. Emma and Alec both deserve happiness... cannot wait for Broken Lives!!!

I truly respect the author for allowing time to pass after Max's death to give Emma a chance a
Donna
Dec 16, 2014 Donna rated it it was amazing
Emotionally amazing storyline you will need plenty tissues i was a wreck,felt every emotion written,on edge of my seat from start to finish ! end omg was explosive,can't wait for next book need it now ! well done brenda 1st book I've read by brenda certainly won't be my last !
Deanna Knope
Dec 15, 2014 Deanna Knope rated it it was amazing
Brenda Kennedy out did herself with this one and I can not wait to read more of the series, it is well written and put together, the love story is emotional. This is a must read series for all who love romance..I was completely in love with the story.
Hooked On Books
Jan 02, 2015 Hooked On Books rated it really liked it
Review done for Hooked on Books

4 out of 5 stars

Emma Greyson lost the love of her life at such a young age. Emma and Max were each other’s soul mates until he is killed in the line of duty, leaving her with a brand new baby to care for.

Four years later, she is living on her own with her son James in Sarasota, Florida. Emma is so strong and is determined to make a life for her and James.

Alec is a gorgeous and sweet doctor, and possibly a new beginning for Emma. He is also a single parent, raising
Gloria Herrera
Dec 27, 2014 Gloria Herrera rated it really liked it
This is a true romance story full of emotion. The focus of the story is on the impact the war has on a young couple with a newborn baby.

Max is deployed early back to Afghanistan just three weeks after Emma has given birth to their son James. It is heart wrenching to read their goodbye. This is such a young couple full of dreams for their future, a supportive family, and a strong love for each other.

Max is killed and the impact this has on his young family will bring you to tears. Our story bring
Tina Lynne
Dec 22, 2014 Tina Lynne rated it really liked it
The thing that initially drew me to this book was the setting. I was born in Bradenton, Florida, only a few miles from Sarasota, and I was excited to read a book about a place that I know so much about. I love being able to vividly imagine places in books and this allowed for my imagination to fill in the gaps! This book was bound to be a bit emotional and I was preparing for the worst. There are moments of pure bliss, which makes the moments of pure sadness that much harder to deal with. I knew ...more
Nikita (NjKinny's World of Books & Stuff)
Dec 22, 2014 Nikita (NjKinny's World of Books & Stuff) rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All romance lovers
Recommended to Nikita by: Brenda Kennedy

Emma and Max are so happy with the arrival of their son in their lives and dream of a happy life together but everything falls apart when Max is killed. Shattered Dreams is the first book by Brenda Kennedy that I have read and I am happy to say, enjoyed.

The first time I laid eyes on the book, I was instantly intrigued by the cover and then the blurb further attracted me to pick up the book.

The story is well planned and executed in a meticulous way so that
Samantha Woods ( LSK Sweetheart Reviews )

'I received a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for an honest review'

Emma is young and was in love with her husband. They had a beautiful baby boy then while on assignment he loses his life. Emma is devastated. If it was not for the help of both hers and Max's parents and her friends she would not have made it through. She finally decides to move back home to Florida with her family. She eventually gets a job and makes some wonderful new friends. Along with these friends she meets the
BooksandBeyondFiftyShades
Dec 16, 2014 BooksandBeyondFiftyShades rated it it was amazing
Emma Greyson, age 22, has a loving husband, Max, and a newborn son, James. She has it all. Picture perfect life. Until her hero husband is called into duty. Her worst night mares come to life, and the love of her life, the Father to her new born son, is killed in action.

It takes years for her to adjust, move on, but can you really? After morning close to her Family, in Florida, every day she grows, all due to this precious gift of a four year old little boy who is the spitting image of max.

After
Missy
Apr 04, 2015 Missy rated it it was amazing
An amazing read!
The link between Max and Emma is absolutely amazing and the love they share is so wonderful. You can just feel their love and devotion to each other. The birth of their son is such a touching loving moment and with the support of their families and friends, it just makes even more beautiful. We know Max is going to die but when it happens make sure you have a full box of tissues handy....the sadness and grief are overwhelming but so well written and just so emotional.
Jump ahead 4
Melissa
Jan 01, 2015 Melissa rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book!!! Even you can get through the heart wrenching story then it is a 1 day read and worth every tear! I went through a lot of tissues on this story.

The Author grabs you and pulls you into this story. It is a story that will touch, warm, break, and mend your heart! I have read many emotional stories, but never one like this!

Emma and Max stole my heart and I found myself feeling exactly what the characters in this story felt. It wasn't just a boy meets girl and falls in
Cheryl
Dec 28, 2014 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Review for Shattered Dreams by Brenda Kennedy

Review done for Hooked on Books

4 out of 5 stars

Alec is a gorgeous and sweet doctor, and possibly a new beginning
Erica
Dec 28, 2014 Erica rated it really liked it
4.999 stars. Why not 5? I'll tell you why.
The very last page.
The last paragraph.
The stunning cliff hanger that left me with my mouth hanging open yelling at my kindle, trying repeatedly to turn the page and find another chapter but sadly it wasn't there and now I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for the next part of this story.

I am head over heels in love with this book and cannot wait for more.
Shattered Dreams is an amazing story of love and so much more, but the love between Max and Emma is
Judie
Dec 28, 2014 Judie rated it it was amazing
*ARC copy provided in exchange for an honest review*

I'm so happy I got the chance to review this book because it was absolutely amazing!! I had an all nighter without even realizing it because I could not look away from my kindle! Max & Lauren had me captivated from the very beginning. Such great love! Max is definitely every girls dream! He was beyond swoon-worthy.

I wasn't ready for it to change. I can honestly say that I was in complete denial of what was about to happen.

When it got heart
Tina
Dec 22, 2014 Tina rated it it was amazing
I was given this book for an honest review. This story was an emotional one for me that at times, I had to put the book down, because I was crying. We meet Emma Greyson who loves her husband Max along with her son James. She had everything is every wanted in life and then the unthinkable happen to Emma. She had to pick up the pieces for her son. It wasn’t an easy journey for her, but through family and friends she made good strides through her healing. I felt what Emma was going through losing t ...more
Natalie Neck
Dec 19, 2014 Natalie Neck rated it it was amazing
This book for me is Brenda best work yet I have loved all of Brenda book, but this one had me emotional right from the start crying ugly tears.

Emma and Max were a young married couple that were madly in love, Max was ship away where her tragically was killed in the line of duty I knew it was coming I just didn’t want it to happen.
Leaving Emma heartbroken with a baby she moves back home to live closer to family not interested in any sort of romance just concentrating on get little man James.
4 Ye
Brandy
Jan 20, 2015 Brandy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was an amazing story. Full is suspense and intrigue. I could not put this down. I am glad to know there will be another book.
Fee (Ebook Addicts)
Dec 23, 2014 Fee (Ebook Addicts) rated it it was amazing
Emma and Max have just had a baby and everything was wonderful. Then he gets posted to a danger zone and that is where Emma loses him. I never thought I would cry but I did, I felt so sorry for her loss with having a new baby and losing the love of her life.

Fast forward 4 years and Emma moved to Florida where she is starting a new life, and Max's parents live near by. She doesn't expect to find love again, but when she meets Alec and his daughter Raelynn that's exactly what happens. Things are g
FangirlsRIF Review Blog
Shattered Dreams (Book #1) by Brenda Kennedy

Head to Fangirls Read It First for the entire review! https://fangirlsreaditfirst.wordpress...

A review by Vanessa.

Emma and Max are a typical young American military couple. With the arrival of their new baby James, they are ecstatic with joy. Their lives seem almost perfect. But when Emma loses Max to an unexpected bomb in Afghanistan, making Max a beloved hero to all who know him and Emma a widow and single mother, she must learn to live without him. Four years later, Emma and James have mo
Barb
Jan 16, 2015 Barb rated it it was amazing
This book starts with the birth of Emma's and Max's son named James Maxwell Greyson. A very handsome baby boy whose parents are so much in love with that their love grows bigger and bigger day by day. The book brings you into the life of Max and Emma and if course James.

Max is enrolled into the armed forces and you get to see the life of a soldier but more than that you get to see how the wife handles staying home and then you get to know Emma even better. Max does end up being killed and it sho
Dawn Dysart
Jan 07, 2015 Dawn Dysart rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars. First book that I have read from this author. Really enjoyed the story and couldn't put it down. Great start for the series and absolutely can't wait to see where this story is gonna go.

Emma's life feels like it has come to an end when her deployed husband, Max, is killed in the line of duty. Through amazing family and friends, she is able to pull move and provide for her four year old son.

Her life starts to become brighter when her son starts taking taekwondo and James becomes good
Heather Cicio
Dec 23, 2014 Heather Cicio rated it it was amazing
I was gifted this ARC by the author in exchange for an honest review! First of all, it is book one of a trilogy with a serious cliffhanger ! I normally wait until all books of a series are published before I read them because cliffhanger make me crazy! But after reading Brenda's first series, I couldn't wait to start Shattered Dreams! And believe me, it was well worth the cliffhanger !
Shattered Dreams starts off with Emma and Max. A young married couple, Max is in the army and is stationed in N
Heather Schrader
Dec 03, 2014 Heather Schrader rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
I really loved this book. Another great book to what is going to be hands down another great series from Brenda. Its a very sweet love story that starts out between Max and Emma and then the unthinakable happens. Fast forward a few years and we see Emma trying to move on without the love of her life and ends up meeting Alec. This book will leave you heartbroken and on an emotional rollercoaster at certain points but yet have you rooting for Emma
  • His Pregnant Texas Sweetheart (Peach Leaf, Texas #3)
  • Paradise Found (That Second Chance, #4)
  • The Girl He Left Behind
  • The Accidental Wife
  • Summer in Sweetwater County
  • Look After You (Look After You, #1)
  • The Malhotra Bride
  • Surviving the Rachel
  • The Bride Wore Starlight (Seven Brides for Seven Cowboys, #3)
  • No Perfect Destiny
  • Seasons of Sorrow
  • The One She Was Warned About
  • Bootie and the Beast
  • The Baby Contract (The Billionaire Bachelor Series, #1)
  • No More Mulberries
  • Last Vacation
  • You Are the Best Wife
  • Far From Home
Brenda Kennedy is an award winner, an Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and a Publishers Weekly bestselling author. She is a true believer of romance. Her stories are based on the relationships that define our lives - compassionate, emotionally gripping, and uplifting novels with true to life characters, that stay with her readers long after the last page is turned.

Her varied, not always pleasant backgro
More about Brenda Kennedy...

Freedom Trilogy (3 books)
  • Broken Lives (Freedom Trilogy #2)
  • Mending Hearts (Freedom Trilogy #3)

“think we need a name for our little soldier.”   I turn my head and” 0 likes
“Any man who loves his mother will treat his wife with a great amount of respect. Before marrying someone, you should watch how he treats his mother.  “Thank you, Mom.” 0 likes