Start by marking “The Godforsaken Daughter (Tailorstown #3)” as Want to Read:
The Godforsaken Daughter (Tailorstown #3)

The Godforsaken Daughter

(Tailorstown #3)

When Ruby Clare’s father was alive, they happily toiled together on their small dairy farm in Northern Ireland. Since his death seven months ago, Ruby—thirty-three years old, plain, and plump—has become a veritable drudge for Martha, her endlessly critical mother. Then comes the day when Ruby finds her late grandmother’s old suitcase in the attic. Among its strange content ...more
Published March 17th 2015 by Lake Union Publishing

Elaine
Mar 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really loved The Misremembered Man by Christina McKenna, was not quite as enamoured of The Disenchanted Widow but am pleased to say I really enjoyed this one.

The main character here is Ruby who is living something of a Cinderella like existence caring for her mother single handed after the death of her father, whilst her two sisters live the life of Riley in Belfast. Her mother is constantly moaning at her and when her sisters come home at weekends, it seems their main hobby is to be spiteful
Melinda
Apr 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
McKenna delves into the subject matter of deep dark secrets, faith, grief, redemption and love with plenty of enthusiasm.

We meet three varying characters dealing with loss as their paths intersect. Each backstory differing yet parallel in the end.

Set in Ireland circa 1980’s, you are privy to snapshots of landscape along with the culture, and political strife. A small farming hamlet is depicted as well as city life. Religious differences are referenced. You have a strong sense of community in thi
Cindy Roesel
Feb 26, 2015 rated it liked it

In the very early 80s, my father married an Irish woman with six kids. She was seriously Irish, first generation from Athenry, County Galway. When they moved in, almost everything was replaced in the color green, Mondays were corned beef and cabbage and all they, and soon we, talked about were The Troubles. Picking up Christina McKenna's, THE GODFORSAKEN DAUGHTER got my Irish up a bit. I remember learning to make traditional Irish soda bread, attempting to cross stitch and throwing up after snea
Becky
Mar 23, 2015 rated it liked it
It's been seven months since his death but Ruby Clare still mourns the loss of her beloved father. The two were close, sharing a love of the land and a bond that no one else in the family could understand. Since his death, Ruby's mother has leased off the land and forcing her to give up farming for good. And while her two sisters work in Belfast during the week, Ruby stays home to keep house and care for their mother. With daily criticism from her mother and weekends spent terrorized by her sist ...more
Susan Barton
Ruby Clare is thirty-three, unmarried and still lives at home on the family farm with her bitter, abusive mother. Since Ruby’s beloved father died suddenly, Ruby’s day consists of knitting tea cozies, and waiting hand and foot on Martha Clare. Ruby’s spoiled twin sisters, May and June, don’t make life any easier for Ruby. Although they work in the city, they come home on weekends to visit Martha and to torment shy, overweight Ruby.

Meanwhile, psychiatrist Henry Shevlin’s life is in turmoil. His
Rachel
Like a comical Irish version of the Cinderella story, Ruby's life becomes that of a sorry house-slave to her waspish critical mother Martha after her beloved father dies. Her life suddenly changes when she discovers her late grandmother's old suitcase full of secrets, tarot cards and mysterious occult things. Ruby embarks on a voyage of exploration and discovery, ending with her mother enlisting the help of both the parish priest and the psychiatrist Henry Devlin, to deal with a daughter she bel ...more
John C Wells
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thought provoking inside look to country life in a troubled country.

Very lovable characters and one you first despise but feel sorrow for too. Ideas one doesn't normally have about faeries and spiritual rituals are thought provoking and eye opening as one realizes most of us face times when we seek new ways to cope with circumstances beyond our control. The conflict that emerges for people caught up in the 'troubles' is an interesting sub-story and one I was not aware of. This story is very swe
Lisa
May 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved the Misremembered Man and so enjoyed that the main character, Jamie, also has a starring role in this one. So many horrible things happen to the characters, but yet the book is still hopeful and even funny in places. The conversation has such a great Irish lilt to it that I want to start talking that way myself by the end of the book.
Trudy
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: april-challenge
Fluctuated between 3 and 4 stars. I alternately laughed out loud and sniffled back tears. Christina McKenna does such a great job of combining serious subjects with sweet folksy humor. I'm looking forward to her next book in this series. Love these books!
Cyndi
Sep 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet

Another book that I would love to rate as 4.5stars. No beautiful writing, just a sweet story with a great ending. Just what I needed!
Jool
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was five stars' worth of entertaining reading for me. Somewhat like a Cinderella story, but not exactly. Let's just say that poor Ruby is the target of her mother's wrath while her younger twin sisters, who visit only on weekends, are treated as royalty. Ruby spent most of her life helping her dad on their family farm, and she was the apple of her dad's eye. Ruby loved the farm, the animals, and her dad was her best friend. But when he suddenly collapsed in a field and died, her mother ...more
Moneek Langston
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It was entertaining and held my attention all the way through. My favorite quote:

“You see, we can go through life blaming our parents for our problems, or we can look back and see them for the deeply flawed, misguided individuals that they were...unwillingly- or in most cases not even aware they had the choice- to live freely and authentically while they had the chance. A great many people go to their graves ignorant of this simple fact. But you won’t. D’you know why?
Kathrine McAlpine
The best novel you will read in a long time

I don't know where to start with the praise for this novel, it is such a lovely story. Christina McKenna writes so beautifully, developing characters slowly and in detail, not falling into the trap of many Kindle writers of having to make all of the characters attractive, her leads Ruby, Henry and Jamie are real people with faults and foibles. I found the novel difficult to stay with in places because of the sadness in some scenes but I am glad I did. I
Margaret J. Fitzgerald
Enjoyable Reading

I gave this book four stars because it was interesting, well written and the characters came alive for me. I found myself cheering Ruby on in her journey to find her true self. The storey held my attention and I had difficulty in putting the book down, I just wanted to keep on reading. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading about Ireland and who loves interesting, quirky characters.
Cherie
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another good story, with old friends Paddy, Rose, and Jamie. I really liked the story of Henry and his missing wife just as much as the story or poor Ruby.

This author seems to like to have two separate story lines going at the same time, with cross over characters, with something to tie them all together. This one was done especially well.
Annalinda Ragazzo
Oct 21, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had previously read book #1 in this author's Tailorstown series and found it rather charming. This one not so much. The characters are preposterous caricatures and the plot lines are ridiculous. Initially I thought the disappearance of Connie would develop into an interesting mystery ,but that too became ridiculous.
JEAN H MCKILLOP
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Godforsaken Daughter

A story of life in Northern Ireland early in the revolution. The cast of characters staring a young doctor of psychiatry and his wife and people he had reason to interact with. The troubles of the locals who were affected and glimpses of their problems and solutions.Love, laughter and tears are all here asking for your input!
Danielle
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
This kinda didn’t work for me? I liked elements in it but I found a lot of the book bewildering and tired making. I think that it was largely well written and parts were compelling even with my uncertainty but I don’t think I liked it as a whole. I’d give this one 2.5 stars, with the understanding that mileage may seriously vary.
Ana Popielnicki
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining and lovable characters

Loved the dialogues and the nicely developed characters! Interesting parallel stories and good introspection for each of them. Looking forward to reading more from this author.
Kate
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ruby was loved by her father. He is passed. Her mother and sisters are mean and bossy. Ruby has become the family drudge. She finds a case belonging to her grandmother and he world starts to change. A look at small town life in Ireland's recent past. Charming and fun.
Tanya Christensen
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Always a heartwarming atory

McKenna's books are feel good stories of small town Ireland. I enjoy the easy read and characters. This book is a "Cinderella" tail that makes you root for the downtrodden Ruby and against her sisters.

An enjoyable read.
Harvey Dick
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Godforsaken Daughter, pleasant little story

This was a new type of story for me. It was pleasant and had a good story plot. Was a little slow at parts. Had a really good ending, everything tied together nicely. I enjoyed reading this book.
Teresa
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

Well written. Great story telling, I couldn’t put it down, I couldn’t see where the story was going and was very intrigued. This book appealed to my sense of fairness and justice.
Yvonne Tibbs
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book

After reading "The Spinster Wife", I was afraid McKenna's next book might be a letdown. To my great satisfaction, I was proved wrong. Loved "The Godforsaken Daughter" even more!
Diane morera
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it Quick enjoyable read

A story with basic down to earth humor Characters you can love or hate A simple folk love story easy reading
brenda young
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant

Absolutely loved this book , fun , laughter and sadness but mostly a very enjoyable story , loved to catch up with characters from previous books ,brilliant .
Shirley
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. The characters were excellent and came to life. The story is wonderful and I recommend it totally .
valerie hesketh
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Poor Rose

A good read. Wanted a happy ending for Rose who so deserved a life of her own.
Would like a sequel to follow some of the characters again
Mrs Janet P Matthews
Enjoyable read

Easy read with no complicated plots. good detail. Likable character. Some mention of the troubles there used to be in Ireland but not over done.
Sue
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, it made me laugh & it made me cry. Beautifully written.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
2017 Reading Chal...: The Godforsaken Daughter 2 17 May 17, 2015 02:19PM

• Chaperones
  • Better Not Love Me
  • On the Edge
  • The Doctor's Unexpected Family (Port Provident: Hurricane Hope #2)
  • Something Good
  • Butterfly Season
  • How To Catch A (Rock) Star
  • On His Turf
  • French Twist
  • Twenty-One Trees
  • Workman’s Complication (McCall & Company, #1)
  • The Recipe
  • Inside These Walls
  • Witches Protection Program
  • Innocent Strangers
  • Free
  • Prosecco & Paparazzi (The Passport #1)
  • Marble Town

Tailorstown (3 books)
  • The Misremembered Man (Tailorstown #1)
  • The Disenchanted Widow (Tailorstown, #2)
“The controller, the manipulator, and the narcissist were common bedfellows.” 0 likes
“May was her favorite month. The pre-summer days meant saying good-bye to heavy clothing, and dispensing with the gloves she loathed, yet was forced to wear against her Raynaud’s syndrome.” 0 likes