Start by marking “The Space Between Houses” as Want to Read:
The Space Between Houses

The Space Between Houses

There are unexplained noises outside that can wait until morning. There are phone numbers that should never be called. There are places where being rich and famous means a fate worse than death. There are shortcuts you’re better off avoiding, like the space between house… Walk the paths of madness, horror, and revenge in the debut collection from author Christian Laforet, ...more
Paperback, 1st, 130 pages
Published September 2014 by Cranberry Tree Press

To ask other readers questions about The Space Between Houses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Space Between Houses

Rachel Pieters
This collection was fun and the prose flowed well, making it easy to read and hard to put down. It was a challenge, when I was otherwise busy, to not say to myself, "I'm almost at the end, just a few more pages. Oh, this next story's only 5 pages long, I'll just read it quickly," and then end up late. Which is a compliment to the author, of course.

I can see his influences, which seem to be Stephen King, maybe Pulp Fiction (at least one scene), and the Made for TV horror movies of the 80s, maybe
James Campbell
Dec 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Overall, a solid collection of short stories, by a new, up and coming horror writer. For the most part, these stories focus on human horror, with a monster story thrown in. A couple of the stories did truly stir me emotionally. Why? I can't say....you have to find out by reading this brief collection!

Good job Christian!

Loved the local flare that popped up.
Christine Hayton
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Horror lovers
Shelves: rated-reviewed
Disclosure: I purchased my signed copy of The Space Between Houses from the author. We are both members of the same writing group, but do not communicate outside that group. I have never had any communication with him about this book except at time of purchase. The comments that follow are my own personal opinion. I received NO compensation of any kind, or from any one, to provide this review.

This is one creepy book and I loved it. It incorporates ten short stories covering all kinds of situatio
John
Apr 29, 2015 rated it liked it
I was handed the book by a colleague who knew the author back in school. As an aspiring author myself, I was impressed by the diversity in the short stories.

Topping the list was Summer's Friend finding a likeness to HP Lovecraft.

I try not to compare amateur vs professional, but the author seems to take kindly to similar styles such as Clive Barker and Stephen King.

I read the entire book in a little less than 2 days so I can say without a doubt that I was curious to see each story's end, and wa
Edmond Gagnon
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Disclosure: I have known this author for a few years, but had never read any of his work. We shared table space at a book show, and to overcome the boredom I purchased this book.
I've never been a fan of horror stories or movies, but I have to admit I liked The Space Between Houses.
Not being a horror fan, I was pleasantly surprised by Laforet's masterful buildup of suspense in his stories, to a climax that doesn't necessarily vividly describe the blood and guts and colorful details of a victim's
Bryant Blair
Apr 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent stories, varied and creepy. I felt nervous and worried for most of the characters in the stories. The author managed to get me more attached to the characters with few pages than some books can with entire chapters. If you are a horror fan and like short stories - this book is an easy choice.

Pros:
- Excellent stories for horror fans.
- The writing gives the reader a sense of panic - in a good way.

Cons:
- A little on the short side at - wish there was more.
Jessica Gouin
May 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book contains 10 short horror stories. The author does a great job of telling each unique tale in a different, still chilling way.
Most stories I was sad to complete. This aurhor has a great story telling gift that leaves the reader wanting more.
Personal favorite - Ashes and Secrets. I need to know more!
Recommend this book to anyone looking for quick and intriguing scares. Can't wait to read more from Christian.
Michael Drakich
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ten tales of the macabre told with chilling resolve.

The stories are, for the most part, short and deadly. The author weaves both mystery and horror into each tale, often leaving the reader wondering what next. If you like the grisly side with punch, you'll enjoy these twisted sojourns into the dark.
Machele
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I wanted to creep down that space between the houses and find a few more stories!!!! Shades of Joe Hill( one of my all time faves) The first story truly made me sit up straight and wonder if I was grown up enough to handle more...I was
Vendetta
Nov 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
10 quick shots of horror...some burn going down, some you savour and some you sip on because you do not want it to end...hoping for more in the future.
Barb Soulliere
May 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read the book is was great. The storys I read I wanted to read more. They were very interesting enjoyable exciting and scary. You should read this book to find out your self.
Patricia Atkinson
Dec 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
mini horror stories all different kinds my favorite one was the first one in the book......
Kimberly Love
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved The Space Between Houses, I had a hard time putting it down. I read at night so it's even worse. It's the kind of book that has you thinking about the characters after you're done reading. There were stories in the book that genuinely creeped me out. The only downfall, if you even want to call it that, was that I had a ton of questions about what was going on in the chapters or about the characters and the author left me hanging at times. But that's a good thing too because I cared enoug ...more
Brianne Marie
May 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
First story was fantastic but the rest were just okay. Still very enjoyable!
Ben Dongen
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Do you like horror? Great! This is the book for you. It's got horror in spades.
Not sure if you like horror, but like to read good stories, this book has you covered there too.
Christian gives you a taste of every type of horror story in one convenient package. Each story gets under your skin and sticks in your brain in a different way. From creepy, to terrifying, disturbing to disgusting, I keep this book right on the shelf, where I can keep an eye on it.
Do yourself a favour and get this book be
Edele Winnie
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A devil’s advent calendar of nasty surprises! You’ll savour each and try to save the next for tomorrow- but you won’t be able to!
Ld Johnson
Brooke Nicodemo
Aug 24, 2015
  • Arcadian Adventures with the Idle Rich
  • The Best Short Stories
  • Doctor Who and the Horror of Fang Rock (Doctor Who Target Library)
  • McSweeney's #45
  • Our Ecstatic Days
  • A Brief History of Ireland
  • Apartment in Athens
  • The Goddesses and Gods of Old Europe: Myths and Cult Images
  • Our Story Begins: Your Favorite Authors and Illustrators Share Fun, Inspiring, and Occasionally Ridiculous Things They Wrote and Drew as Kids
  • Supernatural Six: Box Set
  • The Dead Witness: A Connoisseur's Collection of Victorian Detective Stories
  • L. Ron Hubbard Presents Writers of the Future 33
Christian Laforet lives in LaSalle, Ontario with his wife, Lady, and his two girls, Lelaina Blue and Delilah Sunshine. He is co-founder and frequent contributor to the short fiction site, Adventure Worlds (adventureworldsblog.com).The rapidly growing website is shared among a group of writers who regularly post stories across all genres. Christian is also involved in several other projects and is ...more