Start by marking “A Twist of Fae (Surfaeillance, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Twist of Fae (Surfaeillance, #1)

A Twist of Fae (Surfaeillance, #1)

“My crystal was vibrating harder than ever now. More fae were moving in. I glanced over my shoulder at the dark gardens. This can’t be good. The crystal was designed to register the presence of faery matter, besides serving as identification and other mundane uses, but after the years I’d spent wearing one around my neck, I was becoming more and more convinced it picked up ...more
Published October 21st 2014 by Lantern Leaf Press

To ask other readers questions about A Twist of Fae, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Twist of Fae

Start your review of A Twist of Fae (Surfaeillance, #1)
FangirlNation
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
A Twist of Fae: Surfaeillance by Rebekah Shafer follows the adventures of Burgundy Graves, a detective among the faeries in the World. Assigned to protect a millionaire, but abandoned by her partners, Burgundy is disturbed to see shape-shifting ogres appear and kill him. Finally locating her two partners, Burgundy takes off after the shape-shifters to track down the monsters. Acquiring a faery along the way who sometimes helps but sometimes gets in the way, Burgundy gets to work.

Read the rest of
Scarletstories
Nov 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
TOO SHORT. That is my only complaint about this book. The heroine is snarky and yet not a Mary Sue. The sidekicks are cute and endearing. The plot kept me guessing, and my brain kept flying to each character as a possible suspect. Like I said, TOO SHORT, but there will be sequels, so that's a moot point. Definitely read it!
Kimia Wood
Apr 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Can't say I like the cover art, but that's not what we judge a book on anyway, right?
EDIT: This is now fixed; if you haven't seen the new cover, you should! It fits the psuedo-hardboiled tone much better than its whimsical predecessor!
Burgundy Graves is many things: trigger-happy, self-confident, abrasive, smart. She's also a secret agent of the type that hunts down illegal visitors from an alternate dimension called "Faery" (emphasis on the "illegal").
While her people skills come down to
Dan
Nov 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 52-in-52-yr-2
I picked up A Twist of Fae not really sure what to expect. A couple hours later, I closed my Kindle, surprised I had finished the book in one sitting. I haven't done that in awhile, but A Twist of Fae had me hooked!

This book, Shafer's first, is an exciting detective-style story with a strong fantasy element. It's a quick read, with no filler and constantly escalating action and tension. Cop stories normally aren't my cup of tea, but this story's pace, the intriguing setting, and Shafer's
Matt Ely
Jan 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
original review @ JC's Book Haven.

"It's something other than flattering to be forgotten by so many fae, but I have a sneaking suspicion that they do it intentionally. Rather like forgetting that you have an uncle in the mafia. I don't see what their problem is. After all, the Earth-Faery relationship was their idea in the first place."

The Good

Special agent Burgundy Graves is one of my favorite types of heroes. She hates being out of the action and has an attitude that keep you entertained
Tori Williams
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Originally reviewed on Auggie-Talk Book Blog: http://www.auggietalk.com/2015/02/tor...

Too short! Cross my heart, that is my only complaint. I was rapidly taken in by Shafer’s writing style as her descriptions of all things Fae captivated me from the first chapter. I’m an action girl at heart, which further justifies my love of the fast-paced scenes mixed with the ethereal descriptions of Fairyland found in this book.

Enter Burgundy Graves, a heroine that I can honestly say I loved from beginning
Jordan
Nov 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In this first installment of the Surfaeillance series, we're introduced to a gritty yet interesting secret agent whose job is patrolling faery activity on earth. That's cool in itself, but then throw in some more great characters (human or otherwise) and the fact that the author demonstrates serious skill in creating a believable world. Even better, this fast-moving story comes packed with plenty of twists and turns for the afternoon read-time it fits into. A Twist of Fae is never boring and ...more
Sarah Pottenger
Mar 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
WOW. I think if I re-read this, I might change my rating to five stars. As it was, I read it in fits and starts over several months. But WOW.

I've been reading Rebekah's writing since she was a teenager, and it's been so special to watch her learn and grow (and maybe help shape her skill a little?). This novella that combines Faery with a gritty noir feel is fantastic, and it just burns me up that she hasn't put out the sequel yet. I actually gasped out loud a couple of times, and the scenes
Sara Diane
Dec 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A Twist of Fae is a fantasticly told story that will delight fans of both fantasy and speculative fiction alike. Shafer does a fine job of creating a likeable, engaging character and then builds up a fun world around that character that is full of trouble. I very much appreciate the humor and wit, and would recommend this for anyone who likes a fairy story with a modern twist. Can't wait to read the next one!
Katy Stalcup
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
I instantly loved the main character, tough solo cop Burgundy Graves. The world is also intriguing - I feel like we just began to scratch the surface in this book, & look forward to reading more in the sequels.

I wish there had been more character development, especially for some of the side characters. Also, I found the action occasionally hard to follow, although that may have been my sleepy brain :).

Will appeal to fans of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files.
Katherine Beard
Feb 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Short but fun! The vibrant characters and interesting premise are set up quickly and effectively without feeling rushed, and it's engrossing and very well-written (aside from a small handful of typos).
Lina
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A delicious mix of hard-boiled detective fiction, fantasy, and what we all learned from fairy tales, this book was a thoroughly enjoyable read! The well crafted sentences and snappy plot keep you on your toes and smiling at the tribulations of the heroin. Can't wait for the next installment!
Cherise
Dec 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2014
A quick read that is charming and funny, set in an intriguing world that, despite all its interesting details, never gets in the way of a rapid and exciting plot. This is the start of what promises to be a highly entertaining series.
Briard
Oct 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
I really wished it was longer!
R.J.
Apr 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've never read anything like this, as it's outside of my usual realm, but I adored it! So clever, fast-paced, fun, exciting, and unique. Highly recommend it. The author's voice is terrific.
Dec 27, 2015