Start by marking “Counting Christmas” as Want to Read:

Join in the fun
and count
down to Christmas!
Published October 1st 2003 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about Counting Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Counting Christmas

Jane
Counting Christmas is more than a counting book or a Christmas book; it offers teachers the opportunity to count backwards from ten down to one. Counting is one skill children learn from repetition but number sense where they understand what three or eight objects look like and how they relate to counting is another and more difficult skill that they need as a pre-math skill before they learn to add and subtract in kindergarten. This book offers a great way to read the text and have the children ...more
jacky
Mar 31, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: holidays-seasons
I've read a lot of Karen Katz. Natalie really likes her book with the flaps. So, when I saw this for a few bucks at Marden's, I picked it up t give to her next Christmas (about 9 months away). I liked how this book counted backwards, because that fits with how we count down the days to Christmas. I was surprised that it didn't have a rhyming scheme (or did I read it so fast I missed it?). I did like that the objects counted made sense for the audience.
Jessica Bingham
Dec 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s, christmas
This is a good story for young children. I use this for my 2 year old story time. This book counts down to Christmas starting a 10 stringed lights and goes all the way down to 1 happy day celebrated by families and loved ones. I made clip art to go with the story and the kids love to count as I put the items up on the board.
Brittany
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
This is a counting book coding down from ten to one. Not my favorite Karen Katz book. Actually pointing to and counting the things on the page together didn't always work. "One day" ... Nothing to count with a child. "Four arms" - she's referring to the parents' four arms but there are ten arms on the page.
Dewey
Dec 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: st-christmas
This is short and sweet, as the title suggests, a countdown to Christmas. It would be a good book to include in a toddler storytime--short enough to hold their attention, with plenty of ways to spice it up if attention starts to wander, and it's a fun way to incorporate counting.
Michelle
Mar 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: ece-3601, math, holidays
This holiday themed book counts different items related to the Christmas holiday. It starts at 10 and counts down to 1. Can be used in math to teach about counting down from 10. It could be used in preschool or kindergarten.
Margaret Chind
Review pending...

Stacey Learst
Nov 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, holiday-s
I could imagine me singing a holiday song to this counting book. The illustrations were very bright and colorful. I thought the book was simple but engaging for young children. They would enjoy the counting and discovering what was next in line.
Meg McGregor
Dec 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Little ones will enjoy the large pictures and bright colors.

They will enjoy counting down from "the tn tiny lights getting twirled around the tree" to the "one magical day for families and children to share."
Suzanne
Dec 16, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Toddler/Preschool
Shelves: picture-books
I am a big Karen Katz fan and her books where a staple at my story times when I was a Children's Librarian. However, this is one of those weird books that rhyme and then don't rhyme and then rhyme again and then sort of rhyme. And that's annoying.
Lindsay
A perfectly fine toddler Christmas counting book (that's a mouthful) but I know Katz can do so much more. Can't win them all.
Angela
Nov 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
We couldn't help but dive into this a little early! We love Karen Katz illustrations and this is a great book to get into the holiday spirit.
Jen H.
Jul 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas-books
Cute Christmas counting book for babies and toddlers
Polly
Cute for a big holiday storytime, with everyone counting and hugging!
Heather
Mar 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
Good for beginning readers and number concepts to 10
Jeannie
Dec 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
A sweet book with positive family images and plenty of Christmas things to count! Perfect for a little one just beginning to count. It certainly held the attention of our tiniest charge. :)
Kathrine Rogers
Counting Week
Heather
Sep 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Worth the $1 price tag at Goodwill. H loves counting books so this will be enjoyed for a season or two.
Meredith
The baby counts down from 10 to 1 using various Christmas objects such as light bulbs, presents, cookies, stockings, slippers, stars, and bells.
Teri
Oct 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Teri by: Ladies Night 2012
Shelves: christmas, 2012
Love the author's book Counting Kisses. This Christmas themed book is darling and my little one will love the colorful pictures as we count fun Christmas things.
Meg
Dec 26, 2010
Magdalene
Nov 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Trinity
It's great. I love it so much. I read it myself.
Rhyme Owens
Mar 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
I did not like this book because it was just boring old counting. I wish it had fun counting like skip counting or multiplication.
Taarna
Dec 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Karen Katz has written and illustrated many books for children, including The Colors of Us, Can You Say Peace, My First Ramadan, Counting Kisses and Where is Baby's Belly Button. Long inspired by folk art from around the world, she was inspired to write her first book, Over the Moon, when she and her husband adopted their daughter from Guatemala, and she wanted to tell the story of welcoming Lena ...more
More about Karen Katz...