Start by marking “The Case of the Waylaid Wolf (Perry Mason, #61)” as Want to Read:
The Case of the Waylaid Wolf (Perry Mason, #61)

The Case of the Waylaid Wolf

(Perry Mason #61)

If you're young, attractive, and female, resist the advances of Loring Lamont at your peril. The spoiled son of a rich and powerful father, Lamont is a wolf who goes after one pretty lamb too many. For stenographer Arlene Ferris has vowed not to let him get away with his cruel come-ons, though she never had murder in mind.

Perry Mason's cardinal rule - always trust your cli
Mass Market Paperback, 208 pages
Published July 14th 1990 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 1960)

To ask other readers questions about The Case of the Waylaid Wolf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case of the Waylaid Wolf

Start your review of The Case of the Waylaid Wolf (Perry Mason, #61)
Gene
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Arlene Ferris was working as a secretary. One evening she had to stay late and as her luck ran it, her car refused to start that night when she was finally ready to go home. Luckily the company's vice president Loring Lamont who also happened to be the owner's son offered her a ride. Everything seems to be fine even when they ended up in a remote countryside house instead of her home.
Countryside
Everything stopped being fine when the guy tried to force himself on Arlene. She managed to escape in his own ca
Melindam
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Woooo-hoooo! What a ride!

Honestly, much as I love the Perry Mason books, the later ones -this is #61- were losing some steam, but this one was everything I love in Erle Stanley Gardner's courtroom mysteries: fast-space, loads of action until the very end, red-herrings and counter-decoys, plenty of suspects all round and circumstantial evidence that seems to doom Mason's -naturally innocent- client to lifelong jail.

So we have a spoiled, rich son of a powerful businessman, abusing his position by
Ed
Dec 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: legal, mystery
#61 in the Perry Mason series. This case gives author Gardner the opportunity to expound on the tenets that eye-witness accounts are notoriously unreliable and the circumstantial evidence is the best IF it is correctly interpreted. Mason's stratagem with a piece of skirt never seems to go anywhere but a related challenge to an eyewitness remembering who parked a car ultimately confuses everyone. Good read and enjoyable courtroom climax.

Perry Mason series - Arlene Ferris works as a secretary at t
Bob
Aug 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
One of the better late novels. This one was written in 1960, after the TV series had become a huge hit. Gardner was never especially good as drawing vivid characters (except Perry and Della over time), but in the later books (after, say, 1955) he almost gives up. The writing is quite spare and lacks most any descriptive phrases. Nonetheless, the amazing plots remain, and that's why one reads Perry Mason stories.

This one concerns a young woman who is almost raped by a rich lothario, the wolf who
Bailey Marissa
(3.9)

This one is v, v confusing and even lost me a few times. Thankfully, once Perry starts to explain what's going one you can catch up easily. Also, there's not much in the Perry/Della department and it makes me sad.

Recommended 13+ for murder, creepy dudes, language, and lawyer talk (that still gets me after more than 10 years of Perry Mason).
Richa
Jun 07, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The end was unexpected.
How I wish real life judges are as good as the judge here.
Monica Willyard Moen
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent mystery featuring Perry Mason and crew. It is the story of a spoiled, rich, young man who is used to having his way and forcing himself on women. This time, he goes too far and ends up as a corpse with a knife in his back.
Greg Chandler
May 14, 2017 rated it liked it
The writing is a bit stilted, as I remember the TV series being. There are perhaps too many lawyerly exchanges, with Mason badgering witness to get exact wordings that he can turn on them. What I didn't remember from the series, is the way Mason uses trickery to try to get the results he wants from witnesses. Claiming that police use the same underhanded tricks, getting witnesses to identify someone after first showing them a picture of the suspect, Mason seems to almost stumble into a winning s ...more
Lynn
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, classic
“Arlene grabbed her raincoat and made for the door, running down the gravel driveway, past the swimming pool, out to the dirt road. When she could run no more, she looked back. The beam of headlights was swinging around the driveway. Then the car started slowly down the road after her.”

This was a book hard to put down --- Perry Mason at his best and doing things I never thought a lawyer would do to get justice for his client. The twists and turns were amazing and I love how even though Drake was
Ashwin Dongre
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nice mystery, I had guessed the murderer right at their first mention in the story, later found every clue pointed towards them. So my conviction got stronger. However it turned out that I had only guessed the circumstances correct, not the killer.
Nice! Gardner used the method by which a reader spots the killer and used it against them.
Danny Reid
A clever twist is marred by twin exposition dumps. A little ridiculous, even for the series.
Neeharika
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Once more I failed to guess who the murderer would be. Author never failed to amaze us. You love this book.

Dr Hanif Hassan Barbhuiya
Excellent
Anna
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardner-read
When young office worker Arlene Ferris's car refuses to start after she's been working overtime, a handsome son of the owner rescues her from her predicament offering a ride home. Unexpected errands make the offer not as innocent and the poor girl has to make a run for it. Mason without any hesitation agrees to help her press assault charges, but as always, you can't charge the deceased. Arlene faces murder charges and an equally beautiful substitute. The book has everything a perfect Mason nove ...more
Book collector
Aug 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
There are too many books to do individual reviews for so this is an author overview really. The star rating will give an idea of my feelings on the individual books.

Erle Stanley gardner was one of my father's favourite writers. He had a virtually full collection of the books. I was aware of the books mainly through the TV series of Perry Mason but started to read the novels shortly before my father passed away. Since then I've read all of the books and enjoyed them. I can't say gardner is a favo
Jillian
I figured I should read at least one Perry Mason novel in my lifetime, and I found this one for a dollar in a charming curiosity shop. The twists are sharp, the signs that it was published in the '60s are amusing, and if Robert Downey Jr. moves forward with his plans to do a Perry Mason movie I'll happily go see it, but I can't say the book is to my taste overall. Mason is entertaining, but not nearly as winning and captivating as other clever-rule-breaker-for-a-good-cause crime solvers. And the ...more
Susan
Snappy dialogue, cleverly twisting plot, and a snarky Lieutenant Tragg make this a gem of a story.

💥 Recommended.
🟣Read via Kindle version.
📺 Made into a Perry Mason television episode in 1961.
Stven
Jun 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly typical Perry Mason yarn, and that means thoroughly good. Nice to see how Gardner's concept of justice included a concern that a sexual predator with money to spend could get away with rape by dragging the victim's reputation through the courts and California law would support him. Of course this is the 1950s, so we never hear the word "rape" and there are so many euphemisms in play that at some point a 21st century reader is going to wonder what it's all about. A time capsule of a st ...more
Donna
Feb 26, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This is an interesting case where the wealthy lothario goes after a secretary and threatens her (if she chooses to file rape charges) with dragging her name through the mud. An interesting lesson from the days before rape shield laws.
George
Oct 01, 2011 rated it liked it
A typical Perry Mason murder mystery: person in trouble comes to Mason for help. He then defends the client and solves the case for the police. In this case, a wealthy womanizer is killed and a woman he tried to assault is accused of his murder.
Niina
Feb 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
I've read many Perry Mason books and i love them! They're not anything special but if you're into suspence and crime in general i suppose then you'll like this too. In this case Perry Mason helps a model named Arlene who is, surprise surprise, accused of a murder. ...more
Karen
Nov 29, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: collectibles
Classic Perry Mason tale where a woman ends up accused of murder because of the way whe handles unwanted advances from her boss.
Dec 06, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Perry Mason helps a woman accused of killing her would-be date rapist. Better than the last few Perry Masons I've read. The big reveal is clever but the legal hijinks are a little bit meh. ...more
Vincent Darlage
Oct 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This was one of the better Perry Mason novels. Perry was nearly in a panic about whether or not he could solve the case in time, plus he made several mistakes in this one, which was interesting.
Amicus (David Barnett)
Oct 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Despite the fact that the guilty party caved in a little too easily at the end, this is definitely at the top end of the scale where Perry Mason is concerned.
Monte Lamb
Feb 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: perry-mason
It was fun to read. It is a very typical Perry Mason case.
John
Jul 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardner
Man tricks woman to company lodge and is murdered by former lover who's secretary of his father's company. ...more
quiescent
Dec 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
Writing felt a little misogynistic at times, and the plot wasn't all that interesting. ...more
Industrial Dodda
Jan 30, 2014 rated it liked it
realy a wonderful story
Les Anderson
Jun 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow, talk about a conspiracy of silence. Mostly good detective work rather than courtroom surprises here. Hamilton Burger offends yet another judge.

• القتل بدون مقدم أتعاب
  • Eternal
  • The Kaiser's Web (Cotton Malone, #16)
  • Modern Comfort Food: A Barefoot Contessa Cookbook
  • Shills Can't Cash Chips
  • Perry Mason and Philosophy: The Case of the Awesome Attorney
  • Remembering Perry Mason with Raymond Burr
  • Straight Crooks
  • The Man Who Was Thursday: A Nightmare
  • Enneagram Empowerment: Discover Your Personality Type and Unlock Your Potential
  • Beyond the Wall of Sleep
  • Tied Up In Tinsel (Roderick Alleyn, #27)
  • Black As He's Painted (Roderick Alleyn, #28)
  • A Madness of Sunshine
  • ثرثرة فوق النيل
  • The Mirror
  • قلب ضعيف
See top shelves…

Perry Mason (1 - 10 of 85 books)
  • The Case of the Velvet Claws (Perry Mason, #1)
  • The Case of the Sulky Girl (Perry Mason, #2)
  • The Case of the Lucky Legs (Perry Mason, #3)
  • The Case of the Howling Dog (Perry Mason, #4)
  • The Case of the Curious Bride (Perry Mason, #5)
  • The Case of the Counterfeit Eye (Perry Mason, #6)
  • The Case of the Caretaker's Cat (Perry Mason, #7)
  • The Case of the Sleepwalker's Niece (Perry Mason, #8)
  • The Case of the Stuttering Bishop (Perry Mason, #9)
  • The Case of the Dangerous Dowager (Perry Mason, #10)