Start by marking “The Case of the Bigamous Spouse (Perry Mason Mystery)” as Want to Read:
The Case of the Bigamous Spouse (Perry Mason Mystery)

The Case of the Bigamous Spouse

(Perry Mason #65)

Gwynn Elston learns that her best friend's husband already has a wife and family, but when he is found murdered Gwynn must ask Perry Mason to defend her against a murder charge.
Hardcover, Large Print, 166 pages
Published August 1st 1963 by John Curley & Assoc (first published 1961)

To ask other readers questions about The Case of the Bigamous Spouse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case of the Bigamous Spouse

Start your review of The Case of the Bigamous Spouse (Perry Mason Mystery)
Evgeny
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A young woman Gwynn Elston came to Perry Mason office with an interesting and somewhat deadly problem. She lived at her married best friend house and made her living selling children books. The publishing company would get names and addressed of suckers I mean potential buyers and armed with the list Gwynn was trying to make a sale in each case.
Sucker
One day she came to an unassuming house and to her complete surprise learned that not only the woman who lived there was happily married to the husband
Bob
Mar 28, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've been reading Gardner's Perry Mason books off and on for many years. Those who are used to really fine mystery writers (in the literary sense), such as Ross Macdonald, may find the writing style here a bit dry. Nonetheless, I still love the general setting: the characters of Perry, Della, Paul, Lt. Tragg, and Hamilton Berger. That, and the ingenious plots, are why I read Perry Mason.

On the whole, the ones written by about 1953 are the best. This is one of the latest ones, written in 1961. Th
Aparna
Jul 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stars: 4 / 5
Recommendation: For everyone who have fetish for courtroom drama, this is the lawyer's case files that one would definitely have to read.

The Case of The Bigamous Spouse is the 65th installment in the Perry Mason Series by Erle Stanley Gardner. The book was published in August of 1961. It was also part of the Perry Mason TV Series and aired on November 14th of 1963 - just two years after it was written. Another seemingly simple plot turns into a twisted one within a few pages keeping
Ed
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: legal, mystery
#65 in the Perry Mason series. Accustomed as we are to Perry besting DA Hamilton Burger in courtroom battle, this entry contained a shocker. When the judge overruled one of Burger's objections to a question by Mason, the resulting answer was so unexpected that Burger was actually humbled. If only Perry's client could have committed the murder in the window of opportunity then obviously the window is wrong, and Perry must seek far and wide to find the motivation to justify moving the window. Good ...more
Primadonna
Apr 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
The characters aren't too deep. The culprit is clear right from the start. Somehow, it's enjoyable to glimpse how it was decades past. My first Perry Mason story, and it won't be the last.
Stephen Osborne
A good Perry Mason mystery. One does wonder, though, just why everyone in a Gardner book has such weird names. Bad enough we have Hamilton Burger as one of the regular characters, but every Mason book has the strangest, what-in-the-world names! In this one, there's Felting Grimes, Frankline Gillett, and Collington Halsey, and that's just for starters! No one is named Joe Smith or anything like that! The reason, I believe, is that Gardner dictated his novels to secretaries, often working on four ...more
Chris
Aug 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
I'll admit it: this was my first encounter with Mr. Perry Mason, and I in no way expected this book to be anywhere near as good as it was.

It was terrific for a lot of reasons. First, the plot was interesting and unpredictable, which is good for a murder mystery. Second, it was snappy--it moved along and was an appropriate length for the genre. Third, the characters were classically stereotypical, but interesting anyway. Finally--the sexism was so awful, so cheesy, so overdone and so ridiculous,
Girish
Aug 15, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Every once in a while, you read a Perry Mason book that has a flashy premise with a dud backstory and a decent finish. This book is one of those books.

Mason, Della and Drake team up to protect Gwynn Elston caught in crossfire with a bigamous spouse and his lies. When it becomes a murder and with so many suspects, the police picks Mason's clients, you know the case is not going to hold water.

The defendant, you get to know, is innocent even before the story sets in and therein became a simple my
Vitor Frazão
Tendo visto vários dos filmes na adolescência, há muito que estava curioso por experimentar os livros. Não desilude, é divertido, servido bem para entreter, embora, como é óbvio já não consiga ter o efeito que tinha quando foi escrito.

Um pormenor existente no livro que nunca vi nos filmes é a redundância com que certos elementos dos eventos são explicados vezes sem conta, o que se pode tornar chato se não soubermos saltar certas partes.
Ashwin Dongre
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good novel and a very good plot indeed, . It clearly shows how incidental matters can be of importance.
The title of the novel is also very interesting and cleverly named. (view spoiler). I guessed the murderer quite early in the story, almost as soon as it was commited, and then on went on to see every single clue pointing and strengthening my conviction. Its quite well written.
Do read it.
Les Anderson
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of the Mason books before this have Mason solving the case during the course of cross-examining a witness and this was no different. The other common element is a load of other clues and secrets that divert attention from the real killer. All in all, a a decent mystery if a bit predictable. The best parts, as always, are the characters themselves.
Panu Mäkinen
Gwynn Elston asuu ystävättärensä Nell Arlington Grimesin ja tämän miehen Felting Grimesin luona. Gwynn myy työkseen kirjoja ja saa sattumalta selville erään asiakkaansa luona käydessään, että Felting Grimes on naimisissa myös tämän kanssa. Kun Felting Grimes löydetään ammuttuna ja murha-aseessa on Gwynn Elstonin sormenjäljet, saa Perry Mason kinkkisen tapauksen tutkittavakseen.
Stven
Jun 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stven by: Dad
This is not prime Mason -- it's 1961, pretty late in ESG's long career. But even middling Mason is a good read. Things happen fast, unexpected turns of event, Mason pulls off a little deception in the interests of justice, then pulls a rabbit out of his hat to solve the mystery. The ultimate "comfort food" reading for me.
False
There's more than one wife. Horrors! Gardner's fantasy come true. In real life he shoved his never divorced wife into another city and they ended their days that way--never together again. Ole Erle Stanley got things set up purdy much the way he wanted it: lofs of single, female secretaries, camping parties with the "b0ys" at the ranch. Buying lots of toys and yippee kay oh kay eh.
Vincent Darlage
I love Perry Mason novels. Despite the plethora of weird first names, this was a pretty solid mystery novel. I love the interaction between Perry and Lt. Tragg. Even though the characters really don't grow much, when it comes down to it, I just love Perry Mason novels.
James Vest
At 188 pages, this story has less runway than most Perry Mason thrill-rides, but reliably checks all the boxes before a 50 page court showdown where Perry must save both his client and himself from legal peril.
Rupesh Goenka
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The murder mystery is beautifully written with tact & quality humor. There are no drab moments in the novel & it moves smoothly towards a dramatic climax. Though I successfully predicted the killer, still it is an engrossing read. AMAZING. ...more
Rijo John
Fast, short and nice!
Eric
Another fun, easy to read, Perry Mason novel!
Newly Wardell
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perry Mason in novel form is pretty great! It's old fashioned and a great yarn. I learned about milk toast and now I cant stop eating it.
Richa
Oct 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Somehow I guessed correctly the solution of this mystery much early in this case. Mason only proved it competently, providing the motive and the modus.

A good, simple case.
Anoop Pai B
This was my first Earl Stanley book and I am pretty sure that this is not his best work. Didn't find this exhilarating as my cousin said his few other books were!!!
Kedar
Dec 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Was my first book as a kid. It's responsible for creating that passion for books. :-)
Diamondjazz

• Buried Deep
  • The Book of God: The Bible as a Novel
  • John Wesley's Sermons: An Anthology
  • Merton's Palace of Nowhere
  • The Jefferson Key (Cotton Malone, #7)
  • A Madness of Sunshine
  • Postern of Fate (Tommy and Tuppence, #5)
  • The Corinthian
  • Dilbert 2.0: The Dot-Com Bubble, 1998-2000
  • Marry Me: A Romance
  • The Grand Sophy
  • Bride of Pendorric
  • Yuletide: A Jane Austen-inspired Collection Of Stories
  • Walt Disney's Annette and the Mystery at Smugglers' Cove
  • Coffee Break Python: 50 Workouts to Kickstart Your Rapid Code Understanding in Python
  • Sweden’s Dark Soul: The Unravelling of a Utopia
  • Heart of Obsidian  (Psy-Changeling, #12)
  • Menfreya in the Morning

Perry Mason (1 - 10 of 85 books)
  • The Case of the Velvet Claws
  • The Case of the Sulky Girl
  • The Case of the Lucky Legs
  • The Case of the Howling Dog
  • The Case of the Curious Bride (Perry Mason Mystery)
  • The Case of the Counterfeit Eye