Start by marking “War Bonds: Love Stories from the Greatest Generation” as Want to Read:
War Bonds: Love Stories from the Greatest Generation

War Bonds: Love Stories from the Greatest Generation

America s World War II is most often told through the stories of its great battles, when an entire generation of our young men was suddenly thrust across the oceans to represent the New World in deadly combat against the great powers of the Old. On sea, in the air, and on land our boys fought against totalitarian powers that threatened to overturn the American ideal of lib ...more
Published February 19th 2015 by Casemate (first published February 10th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about War Bonds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about War Bonds

Jen
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
A solid 4.5 stars. Half a star off due to the "bitter" in the bittersweetness of the stories. It should come as no surprise, so I'm not going to call it a "spoiler", but not everyone from the 36 couples discussed are still alive today. That fact added a bit of poignancy to the love stories told, but it made me sad, so not a full 5 stars.

I just want to say, to the couples and to all those who have served in the armed forces and at home, thank you. Thank you for your sacrifices so I and all who ca
Melissa
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
These are the real love stories that prove true, undying love really does exist. Their stories are inspiring and emotional in a time far different from own where stories like these are very rare. Sadly some of the stories in this book end the way all of our stories eventually end. For some of the couple's in this book they have both died by the time this book was published. Usually within months of each other as if they couldn't bear being apart after so many years together. Others have lost the ...more
Nicole
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book loved all the love stories its one I'll definatly re-read
Deanna Davis
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Universal truths, unique challenges, and uplifting tales. What a joy to read...and one you'll feel compelled to share with others. Equal parts heart-warming and life- affirming, War Bonds has it all.

I love the storytelling and the details shared about each couple's experience. These were not easy times, nor easy situations. Each couple had their own personal journey to share, and I loved the opportunity to be an insider to that journey.

Hval has a great knack for sharing "the real" in the story.
Kathryn
Jun 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
First sentence: Boy Scouts stood at solemn attention.

Favorite quote/Love Lesson: The best thing we ever did was move away from our parents.

Each chapter in this book tells the story of a couple who met and married in the 1940s and the husbands who went off to war. From blind dates to whirlwind romances to long separations this book has it all. I loved the pictures of when the couples were young and at the end of each chapter was a picture of how they look now. The author is coming to my library l
Tabby Shiflett
A solid 4-4.5 star rating for a collection of true historical romances (around WWII). There's plenty of pictures (then and more recent) and a piece of marital advice from each couple. I would have liked to see more diverse couples, but, overall a feel-good read that is well-organized. Some very interesting historical tidbits too. I think the author's next work should be about what happened to the little Italian girl.

Net Galley Feedback
Corinne Wilson
An adorable collection of the stories of WW2 couples: how they met, what being married during the war was like, and how they stayed together. I loved the photographs, and the stories were interesting, but most couples wanted to focus on when they met and married and only provided basic details about the toll separation had on them, how difficult rationing was and raising children. The desire to not dwell on the war is understandable, but I was hoping for more details and more depth.
Mel
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Each chapter of this book is based on a couple; how they met, how they became engaged, married, experience in WWII, and how they've made their marriages last 60-70 years.
With each couple photos are shown in black and white, and a song that means something to them. I started listening to the songs while reading about the couple.
pg.203 The weight of the explosives made an already tricky landing more difficult, and as they made their approach, Robbie knew they were in trouble. "Without warning th
Abigail
Apr 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, wish-list
"If you marry, you marry for life...Divorce is not an option." It was amazing to read about these couples working through difficult situations to make their marriage possible. Some even came from different political or religious beliefs and still continued to spend seven decades together. The reoccurring theme I saw in the love lessons was listening to, loving, and excepting your spouse for who they are. Some other cute ones were to have a good attitude and laugh a lot!
Melissa
May 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wartime brings out some of our strongest emotions, but arguably one of the most powerful is love. With the very real possibility of death hovering over them, men and women of the 1940s often rushed to get married before the soldier shipped off to war, or made a commitment to marry once the war was over. They often wrote ardent letters to each other full of dreams of the future. Those letters became the glue that kept them together when the fighting, the waiting, and the separation became too muc ...more
Aunt Edie
Aug 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
War Bonds is not a five star book. It just isn't. I know that objectively. But I am throwing all the available stars at it anyway because it made me feel everything and think thoughts and ask questions and look for answers and cry happy tears.

First, thank you to my sister, Ellen, for sending me the book. Second, this isn't a novel. It is a series of chapters, each just a few pages long. Each chapter covers a different WW2 couple. Simple as that. Who they were, how they met, when they got married
Terry
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-by-friends
I have a confession to make. I'm not a history buff. When browsing book covers (no, you can't judge a book by it's cover, but you can't deny that everyone does it anyway), I will avoid books with vintage photos and titles intimating the past. I had a feeling, though, that War Bonds would be different, due mostly because it is a book simply chock full of love stories.

I'm a sucker for a good love story.

The love stories aren't your ordinary boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy gets girl again Holly
Becky
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading Cindy Hval's War Bonds. The book is a collection of love stories. Each chapter features a new couple. Each chapter is short in length, but, not lacking in heart. What the chapters all have in common, of course, is that all the husbands fought in World War II. Another commonality is that all the marriages lasted. Each story is worth sharing; each voice deserves to be heard.

I enjoyed meeting all the men and women in this book. I enjoyed their stories: stories about how they met,
Rocky Curtiss
Jul 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
I actually enjoyed this book immensely, higher than I rated it for others. Perhaps I'm too presumptuous about another's reading taste, I just don't want to mislead. War Bonds is a collection of sweet stories about real people who survived the Depression and World War II, and found indelible romance at the same time. The featured couples averaged well over 60 years of marriage, and the examples they displayed, the lessons they lived define the Greatest Generation at its zenith. The author, Cindy ...more
Erin Schwab
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Tender love stories surrounded by the hard times of world war. Story after story captured my imagination. I couldn't put the book down. Committed faithful love stands in stark contrast to the standard of today. Hval draws the reader into the hearts and minds of the young people facing huge upheaval in their lives. Their commitment to this nation and their loved ones inspires. This book is a real and tangible way to honor those who have served our country and keep the memories of those days gone ...more
Erin
Apr 14, 2015 rated it liked it
War Bonds is a collection of short essays on the lives of World War II-generation couples who often turned courtships of three months or less into six decade marriages. Collected and told by a newspaper columnist, each section reads much as a surface human interest story complete with a love lessons advice from the couples and a representative war time song. The result does lack some depth, presenting a vivid but disappearing greatest generation much quieted by time and hindsight, but the very d ...more
Beth Bollinger
Jan 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Cindy Hval has a gift for telling a story and finding the nuggets that make each one come alive - as I read WAR BONDS, flashes of familiarity would wash over me - as if I just had the chance to really get to know the couple whose story I read. Put in the context of war, and that war, made history come to life - no longer history, but actual life.

Love, love the love lessons - and the photos in between. I spent the majority of the time with tears in my eyes, imagining this or that. It takes a tru
Claire Hattendorf
This is an excellent collection of short, true wartime love stories that warm the heart while teaching about the extreme power of love along the way.

The couples in these stories all met and married during WW2, and stayed married, "until death do us part". Marriage is never easy, but in many of these stories, couples endured under extreme duress. The author uses quotes from the biographies written to help us, (the readers), understand the secrets of their success.

A wonderful read, 5 stars.
Ann
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
What an uplifting book! Life for these young couples "in love" was not easy during the years surrounding World War II. Yet they stayed married and after decades of marriage, they still loved being together. The individual stories are well-written,interesting, and inspiring to those of us who have only been married a short 30+ years. I enjoyed reading the "Afterward", where the author discusses what she learned from interviewing these 50 couples who had been married over 60 years.
Erica
Sep 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting book about real romance, devoid of the drama and glamour one expects of fiction yet still heart warming and beautiful. I often enjoy reading fiction/nonfiction about the "Greatest Generation" because they were survivors and pioneers, they loved, they lost and they rose to the task during times of great tyranny. But this book had something more because each story was personal and these people felt very tangible to me. Made me relive story-telling from my Grandmother.
Jessica
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
A sweet book about WWII veterans and their spouses - looks similar to Larry Kings Love Stories of World War II. Each chapter is only 4-6 pages telling how each couple met and a bit about their lives. Absolutely inspirational. It could've been edited better, a few grammar and spelling mistakes, "road" instead of "rode" for instance. But completely willing to overlook that because of the content. Quite liked it!
Gerald Hickman
I knew one of the veterans who is in the book. I found a special reason for reading the book and learned more about his lovely wife Vi. This is a series of very short stories about a number of veterans and their spouses. The title is very intriguing to me and the concept of the book gave new meaning to my study of WWII.
Donna Maguire
This is a really lovely book and I was delighted to be given an opportunity to read a review copy from the publishers. It details some of the stories of couples that met during World War II. The book is really touching in places and I feel genuinely privileged to have been able to review this. I highly recommend this.
Maureen Mahowald
May 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
This delightful book would be a good wedding or anniversary present for young couples. Included in these stories of long term marriages are nuggets of wisdom about how to stay happy together. The top three: friendship, respect and commitment.
Sandy
May 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WW II lovestories

I love this era. Their lives might have been hard without much money but the optimism this generation had served as a foundation for our future. No wonder they are called the greatest generation!
Kellie
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book - very similar to the one with Larry King, but I loved this more because it was all couples who were married during WWII and were still married sharing their story - at the end of each section, the couple had a little "love lesson" - or small piece of advice. Great read!
anna
Jun 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
just as it promises, this book is a varied collection of love stories.
it's both a sweet and interesting snapshot of another time.
Jacquie
Nov 14, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nook
Collection of short stories about couple who met and married during WWII. Follows an easy to read format, and provides update on their lives today as well
Cecile Charles
Dec 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved War Bonds I've read it more than once. I recommend it as a great read.
Deborah
Nov 11, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a good read on Veteran's Day. To read of love stories from WWII and how they lasted was inspiring.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Manga Classics: Romeo and Juliet
  • D-Day: The Invasion of Normandy, 1944 [The Young Readers Adaptation]
  • Strange History
  • Kid Artists: True Tales of Childhood from Creative Legends
  • The Battered Bastards of Bastogne: The 101st Airborne and the Battle of the Bulge, December 19,1944-January 17,1945
  • Downton Abbey: Rules for Household Staff
  • Belle's Tale (Disney Beauty and the Beast, #1)
  • Historical Heartthrobs: 50 Timeless Crushes—From Cleopatra to Camus
  • I'll Show You Mine
  • Ask the Past: Pertinent and Impertinent Advice from Yesteryear
  • It Happened in the Highlands (The Pennington Family, #2)
  • Tacolicious: Festive Recipes for Tacos, Snacks, Cocktails, and More
  • Star Trek/Planet of the Apes: The Primate Directive
  • The Virtues of Aging
  • One Night of Misbehavior
  • Jericho Season 4 (Jericho Graphic Novels #2)
  • Religion for Dummies
  • A Dream of Redemption (The Disgraced Lords, #8)
Cindy Hval is a columnist and correspondent for The Spokesman Review newspaper in Spokane, Washington. Her “Front Porch” column offers humorous, often poignant commentary about life, love and raising sons– not necessarily in that order.

Her first book, "War Bonds: Love Stories From the Greatest Generation" was published by Casemate in 2015. She's currently working on her second book "Tiaras &
“LOVE LESSON A good attitude is the secret to a happy relationship. Accept the person you married and don’t constantly find fault.”—Tex Gaynos” 0 likes
“the road, but thank God, she didn’t.” LOVE LESSON “Pay attention! Marriage is a two-way street. It isn’t all about your way and it isn’t all about her way. It’s the together that counts.”—Milt Stafford” 0 likes