Start by marking “Gone, but Not Forgotten” as Want to Read:
Gone, but Not Forgotten

Gone, but Not Forgotten

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  4,097 Ratings  ·  277 Reviews
Gone, But Not Forgotten.
Published August 1st 1994 by New York, NY, U.S.A.: Bantam Books, 1994 (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Gone, but Not Forgotten, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Freda Malone
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
It has been a long time since I've read any of Phillip Margolin's novels. This brilliant mystery, legal thriller had me from the first chapter, turning page after page with intense anticipation. The suspense almost killed me. By page 160 I had my own theories, but the red herrings had me bouncing back and forth between guilty and not guilty. By page 360, I was almost solving the crime myself. WOW. Now I remember why I loved his books so much but can not remember why I stopped reading them. Well, ...more
Nov 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gone, But Not Forgotten is Phillip Margolin's third novel. The novel tells the story of a womanizer and serial killer who emerges after a decade of silence. Gone, But Not Forgotten is incredibly suspenseful and has even made into a 2005 movie featuring Lou Diamond Phillips and Brooke Shields!

A serial killer is on the loose in the Portland, Oregon area; his victims are upper-class women married to successful and wealthy businessmen. While their disappearances leave behind limited clues of a black
LJ
GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN (Suspense-New York, Oregon/Cont) – G+
Margolin, Phillip – 3rd book
Harper Torch, 1993- Paperback
Portland attorney, Betsy Tannenbaum, is given a large retainer against future work by wealthy businessman Martin Darius. When the bodies of women who've been tortured and murdered are found on his property, Darius is arrested and Betsy asked to defend him. The women had disappeared from their homes with a black rose and note saying "Gone, but not forgotten" left behind. But when
GIZMO
Aug 31, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
agree with an earlier reader...this is a creepy story for sure

anyone else wonder why it is that these twisted characters always choose to debase and dehumanize women? why not take power over men for a change? is it that these male authors (I'll add james patterson here for his Kiss the Girls which seems to share the same villain) can't imagine a man being victimized? I have to wonder...

as for Becky our kind of hero just how dumb is she for a supposedly brilliant attorney? she lets this unknown r
Alshia Moyez
Jun 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I read this book like, maybe ...a decade ago. Somebody turned me onto it and I read it in a day, couldn't put it down. I just really, really enjoyed this, enjoyed the characters. I remember really, really liking the killer in this book, which is weird. He was the villain but for some reason was likeable in his own way. I think I want to sit down and read this book again to refresh myself with it. If you like suspense, fleshed-out characters, mystery, and a plot twists then you might like this on ...more
Angela
Jan 21, 2009 rated it liked it
Right up until page 200 or so, this book was headed for full-fledged 4-star glory. The plot is good, the writing is good (excellent, as far as writing in this genre is concerned) and I was genuinely puzzled, which is a good thing in a whodunnit.
But the end was kind of a let-down. I won't go into the details, so as not to spoil it. But I thought the end was a let down.
It's a good, enjoyable read, though.
Patrice Hoffman
May 30, 2012 rated it liked it
I enjoy everything I read by this author. Just had to get that out there once again. His books are page-turners and always good to the last page. There are no ackward boring moments. They aren't literary giants or complex but they are good old fashioned fun.
Kathy
Nov 29, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Creepiest whodunit I've ever read. I couldn't sleep at all the night I fnished it (literally, I was too afraid to close my eyes).
Debbie Oxier
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a well-crafted, well thought out thriller. It kept me turning pages long past my bedtime so I'd have the peace of mind knowing this creepy killer wasn't still at large.

Beautiful women, married to successful men, are disappearing without so much as a hint of where they've gone. The only thing the police have found at each scene is a black rose and a note reading, Gone But Not Forgotten. Nancy Gordon, a detective assigned to the case, is obsessed with finding the women or, most likely, t
Susannah Carleton
Don Thomson
I met the author on an excursion in Mexico City and must say he is a wonderful person to get to know. I wish I could give this book a better rating but found it just an average read. I want to see the movie made from the book released years ago to see if the plot is a little more entertaining.
Juanita
Apr 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review: Gone, But Not Forgotten by Phillip Margolin.

This is an outstanding, well written, packed thriller. There are so many stunning surprises, mysterious crime scenes, and well developed characters that will hold you in your seat turning the pages to find out what happens next. It was an excellent book with plenty of crime mystery and horror. The author has written a few graphic scenes but that just led me to read on to find out who was doing the crimes and why. What I found totally clever is
Kimberly
Apr 13, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to like the protagonist, Betsy Tannenbaum, but good grief - her actions and decisions were idiotic. At first, I thought I'd give her (and Mr. Margolin) another chance. Read a bit more, see if maybe she's one of those "interestingly flawed" characters that I truly love - you know, the ones that are more in keeping with real people.
But no. She was just stupid. Stupid about her estranged husband (wanting to reconnect with him after she found out he had been feeding her daughter li
Bill
Feb 05, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
This one was so close to meritting a 5-star review.
But I found the character development to be just OK, and the
story didn't quite sock me in the gut as I expected it would.
But this guy can tell a story like gangbusters. He really kept me turning the pages at a fast rate and at every free moment I had my nose in the book.
I recommend it, and most of you out there will really enjoy it.
Brian O'Leary
Actually like the multiple points of view telling, but did not like the fact that at the beginning he tells you who did it, then it seems for the rest of the book they are trying to cast doubt on that, to the point that you are not sure if he lied to you at the beginning, then it turns out that person did do it, so it feels like a waste of your time.
Xinh
Jul 03, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Didn't enjoy this.
First, there are way too many characters introduced that get maybe a line or two of mention and then are never heard from again.
Second, I cannot believe that Betsy didn't get any sort of reprimand for her actions.
Cee (The Mistress Case)
Mar 07, 2015 marked it as dnf-skimmed-lost-interest  ·  review of another edition
DNF

Definitely creepy for sure, but it failed to captivate my full attention.

Mystery books just aren't for me. I should stick to TV shows and movies.
Monique
Sadly, I predicted who the bad guy was. Decent for what it is though.
David Joseph  Mikels
Not a great book at all very far fetched and much too dark for my taste at the moment.
Emma
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The reason I didn't enjoy this novel is not because it's too creepy as other reviews state, it's because of how it was written.
There seemed to be a lot of unneeded moments such as when the characters would be getting food: their important conversation would stop and the reader would have to follow the uninteresting conversation of who wants what, who pays and so forth. While I understand that this happens in real life a lot it's not necessary to the plot in these instances.
Secondly, there was
Drew
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
A word of advice: If you are going to read this book, you’ll probably want to take notes as you go along.

“Gone, But Not Forgotten” is your typical murder-mystery suspense novel. It revolves around a detective and a lawyer trying to figure out why women are mysteriously disappearing. With every woman that disappears, a black rose is left behind with a note saying “Gone, But Not Forgotten.” It is an interesting motive to get you hooked on the story. Unfortunately, the story is incredibly confusing
Hans Brienesse
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well this was certainly a book with so many twists and turns the plotline appeared to be a fine filigree. Beginning this story I was uncertain where it was leading, then I thought I knew who did it. Then, no, it could have been someone else. No, it must have been who I thought the first time. Down the dark and twisting labyrinth of legal arguments, privileged information and deals we are led to culminate in an end so dramatic and unexpected that, knowing the perpetrator, still had me guessing. A ...more
Alexa Rose
Oh god, no. CRINGE. This was so so cringe.
The story was good... until the "plot twist" which was beyond unbelievable.
The way this was written was very basic and it annoyed me incredibly how the author is a defense lawyer IRL but fabricated something so unbelievable law-wise as a plot twist.
I've watched enough SVU to think that this ending was ridiculous.
Nancy
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Started this book yesterday afternoon and read all but 100 pages of it before I went to bed. If you are looking to escape....and you don't mind a little murder and mayhem....you'll really like this book. It's page turner all the way.
Janita Finley
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so good! It was one if the best thrillers I have ever read.......It moved along at a rapid pace, and it just kept getting better and better, and the ending is fantastic....I loved this book,although I read it a very long time ago, I will never forget it! It really was that good!!!!!!
Anna
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dark and creepy. Well written, a legal thriller with just enough to keep you guessing and not see the actual killer until too late (just like the main characters!). Despite it being from two decades ago, there were only a few things that dated it, but the story would make an excellent movie.
Repix Pix
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una gran novela que aúna varios géneros y que te atrapa desde principio a fin. Contiene algunos pasajes duros aunque sin llegar al nivel de otros libros donde aparecen asesinatos seriales. Muy recomendable.
Renee
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was just what I needed after my last read. I was consumed by this book which is full of plot twists. It’s really suspenseful – you will be totally hooked! Recommended.
Timo
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: timo
Ensimmäinen lukemani Margolin ja olen myyty. Innostuin.
CherylR
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A real thriller

Another awesome book by Phillip Margolin. This books has all the elements for a great thriller. It kept me engrossed until the last word.
My "go to" pleasure 4 29 Jan 11, 2017 08:27PM
  • Perfect Justice (Ben Kencaid, #4)
  • Missing Justice (Samantha Kincaid #2)
  • The Judge (Paul Madriani #4)
  • The Suspect
  • Rough Justice (Rosato & Associates, #3)
  • The Price of Silence
  • Reckless Endangerment (Butch Karp, #10)
  • Fidelity
  • Requiem Mass (DCI Andrew Fenwick, #1)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Last Passenger
  • The Thief
  • From the Cradle
  • Intrusion
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Two to Die For (Lucy Kincaid, #12.5; Max Revere, #3.5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To the Grave (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • If Tomorrow Comes
    $12.74 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Into the Darkest Corner
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Dragon's Triangle (The Shipwreck Adventures #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The End of Temperance Dare
  • Skewed
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unintended Consequences (Innocent Prisoners Project #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Girl Number One
  • No Time To Blink
  • Long May She Reign
  • What You Wish For
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Detachment (John Rain, #7)
  • Don't Get Caught
  • Disappearance at Devil's Rock
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Fallout
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Boy Who Stole from the Dead (Nadia Tesla, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Kindred (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery, #5)
  • The Informationist
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Local Girl Missing
  • Finding Jake
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Violent Crimes (Amanda Jaffe, #5)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Temporary Agent (The Agent #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Punishment (Detective Barnes, #1)
  • Terminal Rage
    $9.99 $3.99
  • A Lonely Resurrection (John Rain #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Killer Ascendant (John Rain #6)
  • A Deadly Game: The Untold Story of the Scott Peterson Investigation
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Sunday Silence (Frieda Klein, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Last Queen of England (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Graveyard of Memories (John Rain, #8)
  • Pretty Girls
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • Before You Leap
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Strike (Dewey Andreas, #6)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)
  • The Tenth Justice
    $7.74 $1.99
  • An Invisible Client
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Eight
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Sin and Swoon (Blood and Bone, #2)
  • The Devil in Silver
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Shark (Forgotten Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stay Dead (Elise Sandburg #2)
  • The Company of Demons
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Fifth Letter
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sacred and Profane (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Altar Girl (Nadia Tesla #0.5)
  • Darkness
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Redemption Games (John Rain #4)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Dry (Aaron Falk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Huntress Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Pretty Little Liars (Pretty Little Liars, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • City of the Lost (Casey Duncan, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • City of Stairs (The Divine Cities, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Case Histories (Jackson Brodie #1)
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Crow Trap (Vera Stanhope, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Florida Roadkill (Serge Storms Mystery, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Step on a Crack (Michael Bennett, #1)
  • If I Run (If I Run #1)
  • Jar City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Power Down (Dewey Andreas, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Poacher's Son (Mike Bowditch, #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Accused (Rosato & DiNunzio, #1)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Edge of Apocalypse (The End, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Map of Bones (Sigma Force, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Duty To The Dead (Bess Crawford, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Baltimore Blues  (Tess Monaghan, #1)
  • Tips for Living
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Boy from Reactor 4 (Nadia Tesla, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Lost Empress (Genealogical Crime Mystery, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Hounded (An Andy Carpenter Novel)
  • Girls on Fire
  • The Back Road
  • The Other Widow
    $9.24 $1.99
  • Suckers (Jack Daniels and Associates)
    $3.99 $0.99
“The inferior man lived only in his fantasies, because he lacked willpower and imagination. The superior man made his fantasies a reality. (Martin Darius)” 8 likes