Start by marking “Passing Strangers” as Want to Read:

Passing Strangers

A train roars over the rails, carrying passengers on a trip that will change their lives. Among the many people aboard the 97 Silver Meteor are Andie Crystal, a lonely young woman hiding from her past as a reality TV star; Matthew Scofield, a widower trying to escape his responsibilities to his children; and Janette Turlington, a middle-aged mother running from the turmoil ...more
Published January 14th 2015 by Thorndike Press (first published March 13th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Passing Strangers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Passing Strangers

Start your review of Passing Strangers
Elizabeth
Dec 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book. Such a great reminder that people do not suffer alone, everyone has a story. I love how all of their paths cross and what they become to each other... Interesting book..
Kim
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has to be one of the best books I've read in a while.....Oh, I highly recommend this book especially if you ever have felt you messed up being a mom or even just a Christian.....Great book!!
Carol
Nov 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookfun-org
We are going on a train ride. We are taking the Amtrak Acela
Express-97 Silver Meteor #2171. We are leaving from
Washington DC with 2 day stopovers in Williamsburg,
Charleston, Savannah ending in St Augustine.
The book starts with the story of three broken unrelated people
who happen to end up on this train. Each escaping for their own
reason. These three unconnected stories will blend as the trip
forges ahead.
The author address many social issues such as workaholics,
fame, loneliness, single par
Pam
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Passing Strangers is by Angela Hunt. It is ironic that I decided to read this book on Friday. A friend of mine talked about taking a trip across America on a train. I had never thought of this before. Then I picked up this book, knowing nothing about it, and it ended up being a trip on a train. That made it even more interesting to read as I got a unique view into a train ride. The book itself if very good and it is difficult if not impossible to put down until you get to the end.
From Little Ro
Laura B
My absolute favorite novel of all is "The Awakening" by AEH. Having said that, I do believe AEH has had a few hits and a few misses. I never could finish "The Fine Art of Insincerity;" I just found myself halfway through that novel not caring about the characters so that was a "miss." I did like some of her other novels ("The Elevator" and "The Note"); however this one is just okay. Nothing special. This book is divided into three parts; each one with the viewpoint of a character that is going o ...more
Christi
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Don't pass!

I didn't know what I was getting into when I started this book. Honestly, it sounded a little odd and I wondered if I would regret starting it. I halfheartedly began with the thought that I wasn't going to put too much time into it if it didn't grab me right away. Well, I just finished reading, crying, and reflecting on how perfect this story was for me right this moment. There are so many messages in this book - and I think I needed to hear each and every one of them! Highly recommen
Beverly
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoy Angela Hunt’s books. However I am more accustomed to her historical novels so it took a bit for me to get into present day with the book. It took a bit longer for me to feel for the characters. There were real issues each of the characters dealt with and I appreciated seeing how things wound up. It was worth the read and there were some realistic reminders of how we should live our lives as well.
Jennifer Bell
The story is good with characters we want to learn about and see succeed in overcoming their personal struggles. The way the novel was written was a little choppy as it is divided into three books. Ending with Janette’s perspective didn’t feel right to me as it felt to be Andie’s story, though all characters intertwined. I did not find this a page turner, more of a leisurely read. There are a few blatant editing errors, which can be distracting. Good read but not a must read.
zoesmum025
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Evocative as always

It always takes me a while to read through an Angela Hunt novel because I like to pause to ponder and she always gives cause to pause. This book showed a side of me I would have liked to stay hidden but on reflection I'm grateful for the opportunities to analyse myself. This novel, just like her others, will stay with me for a long time.
Margaret A Register
Good

Although I found the writing simplistic, the storyline is well-thought out and the characters become "real." Everyday problems with realistic solutions. Well-written and well-edited.
Sher
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely story

A lovely story. I got Andie, and appreciated her reasons for her situation. Matt I didn't like, though I liked his growth. Jeannette I identified with, and enjoyed her growth through her questions. I enjoyed how this group of strangers became a family.
Abby Briggs
If you like books where characters lives intertwine, this is a good choice for you. Lovely but not a pager turner.
Josephine
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!

Friendship, acts of love, backstories and motives, faith, healing, happy ending and hope for the future. This book has the best elements in it!
Belinda Dixon
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

Great read. Very inspirational! Three main characters yet all have different stories. You will definitely enjoy the book! Get it!
Kerstin Gunia
Angela Hunt never disappoints when it comes to interesting plots. She weaves a story of intersecting lives that was engaging and entertaining.
Children
Christian author

The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places
Nora St Laurent
Sep 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m thankful for the review copy of this book. Angela hunt is one of my favorite authors. Here tag line is “expect the unexpected.” I love the fact that when I sit down to read one her books I never know where she’ll take me next and she gets me to think about things I normally wouldn’t. This book is no exception.

Angela Hunt calls Passing Strangers a suite;” a novel composed of three separate but interconnected stories, but with only one main character per story.” I liked this approach for this
Jeanie
Sep 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Angela Hunt has a winner with Passing Strangers! It has been quite some time since I have read one of Angela Hunt’s novels; after listening to this audio book, I need to remedy that. This has been an interesting read, certainly giving me pause to consider whose lives we might impact for the Lord!
Three travelers, one with young children, meet while on a train tour going from Washington DC to Florida. One had made the decision to take the tour on the spur-of-the-moment with a need to get away to
Sharee
Jul 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Angela Hunt never fails to provide a delightful story and Passing Strangers is no exception. In a great twist of authorship, she tells of the lives of three different people. As the three meet on a ten-day train trip, they not only encounter each other, they find friendship, healing and the courage to do what they need to do.
In the first story, Andie Crystal is forced to take a vacation from work by her boss. A complete workaholic, Andie is content to keep busy and live alone. She’s known a lif
Janice Garey
May 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review Title: Don't be a Stranger to This Book!! (review of Passing Strangers by Angela Hunt)
Reviewer: Janice S. Garey
***** 5 Stars

Passing Strangers sparkles with vibrancy. The three adult train riding characters are each on a journey away from some form of near death of their life expectations. Two of the characters chose the trip not knowing what the time away would bring them to when they had time to think clearly and process their situations. The third character had the trip forced upon her
Pamela Jo
Jun 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Journey to Friendship

Passing Strangers is a deeply moving story about three people who are trying to run away from the past and their troubled lives. All three find themselves on a train, taking a 10-day coastal tour of the south.

Andie Crystal is hiding the fact that she was a child-star on TV when she was young. She has turned her back on her family, changed her identity, and lives in fear that someone will discover that she is really Christy Huggins. Andie is less than pleased when her new b
Java Davis
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Put simply, Passing Strangers is the story of five people, three adults and two children, who take a train vacation through the south. Section One of three sections is the story of Andie, the missing member of a large family, who ran from her family's television popularity to hide from the limelight. She was successfully hidden when she got the news that her mother was dying from cancer. Suddenly, the world she left behind was no longer statically frozen -- they still existed. The sand shifted u ...more
Jun 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could not stop reading this book. From chapter one till the ending, I was hooked. This book begins when Andi Crystal is asked by her company to take a paid leave vacation. Andi demands not to take a vacation as she is perfectly happy working, but when her company insists, she is booked on a train to go tour the Southern Seaboard. Andi isn't really who she says she is, but an ex-actress hiding from her former life, especially the media as her mother is dying. People recognize her as Christy Hug ...more
Bethany Marks
In Passing Strangers 3 lives intersect on Amtrak: Mathew, Jeanette and Andy (or is that Christy? She changed her name.) 3 serious life changing decisions later, 3 new friends intertwine to become like family.

Angela Hunt underscores how vital personal connection is:

“Your eyes only grazed the woman whose son is in prison for life. You nearly tripped over the foot of a young mother who just miscarried her baby. And, you barely noticed the man who was so lonely that he comes downtown just to be n
Debora Wilder
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very thought provoking novel.

The three main characters are Andie Crystal, Matthew Scofield, and Janette Turlington. They are vastly different from each other and they are all struggling with situations in their lives that have left them feeling alone and unable to connect with others. They are each so well developed that I was able to feel a connection with each of them early on in the story.

I loved how Angela introduced them to the reader as well as to each other. It simply started a
Rebecca Jo
I am so disappointed to give this an 'ok' - I love Angela Hunt. She's one of my favorite authors & I usually give her 5 stars across the board. Was so excited for her latest book... but I just didn't feel it.

This story is about 3 strangers on a train going across the part of the country & the way they meet. The story then sort of breaks up into each individual person's story & what their background is.

I really liked the first one with a story of a girl who was a famous child star on a reality b
Mary
Jul 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Passing Strangers” by Angela Hunt is a book about the lives of three strangers and how they meet and come to care for each other. This story is a new twist on train travel and getting to know your travel companions. It is interesting how their paths cross and each person is able to share his or her burden and develop a deep respect and friendship for each other.
I liked that each of the main characters had their own space in the book…Angela Hunt has broken it down into three separate sections
Meagan Myhren-bennett
By Angela Hunt

Sometimes you just need to get away from it all if you have any hope of surviving. And Janette Turlington needs to get away from the stresses of her life now. And an Amtrak train tour is her escape. The stress of dealing with her 25 year old troubled daughter is about to pull her under.

Andie Crystal has been trying to escape her past as a reality star by throwing herself into job. But suddenly she is forced into taking an all expense paid vacation by her employer.
Jean
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book! It focused on the lives of three different families that couldn't be more dissimilar. Each main character's life drew you into unusual situations with unusual problems......a successful lawyer/widower with two children, still grieving the loss of his wife, an ex-actress trying to hide from her former famous family and media, along with a middle-aged woman, sporting a black eye, but very secretive about its origin and anything relating to her life. These three scen ...more
Donna Mcginnis
Jul 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful and enjoyable story that captured me from the beginning. It only took me two days to read as I wanted to see what would happen in the lives of the characters.
Three travelers on a train touring the southern seaboard from totally different backgrounds meet and form a special friendship. Andie Crystal a former child TV star is hiding from per past and her identity. She is on the train because she has been forced to take a vacation from her current job. Janette Turlington, middle aged is

• Scandal
  • Hometown Girl at Heart (Hometown #1)
  • Hometown Girl After All (Hometown #2)
  • Hometown Girl Forever (Hometown #3)
  • The Family Divided (The Guernsey Novels, #4)
  • Beloved Hope (Heart of the Frontier, #2)
  • Christmas in Smithville (Hometown, #4)
  • A Churn for the Worse (An Amish Mystery, #5)
  • The Sunroom
  • Love Comes Again: A Clean Sweet Contemporary Billionaire Romance
  • Shunned and Dangerous (An Amish Mystery, #3)
  • Meadowlands: A World War I Family Saga
  • The Truth in Tiramisu (A Poppy Creek Novel # 2)
  • Constable on the Hill (Constable Nick Mystery #1)
  • Plain Dead (An Amish Mystery #3)
  • Plain Killing (An Amish Mystery #2)
  • Legacy of Mercy (Waves of Mercy #2)
  • Constable on the Prowl (Constable Nick Mystery #2)
Christy-Award winner Angela Hunt writes for readers who have learned to expect the unexpected in novels from this versatile author. With over three million copies of her books sold worldwide, she is the best-selling author of more than 100 works ranging from picture books (The Tale of Three Trees) to novels.

Now that her two children have reached their thirties, Angie and her husband live in Florid

News & Interviews

“the Father uses the valley of shadow to teach you about His sufficiency and goodness. Don’t despair, child, while you’re walking through it.” 1 likes
“away” 0 likes