Start by marking “The Great Revolt (Marius' Mules, #7)” as Want to Read:
The Great Revolt (Marius' Mules, #7)

The Great Revolt

(Marius' Mules #7)

The pieces are in place. After many months of clandestine organisation, Vercingetorix, backed by the druids and leading an army of rebellious tribes, is ready to make his first moves towards independence for his people and the annihilation of Rome's presence in Gaul.

Meanwhile, Caesar attends to business in Aquileia, unaware that he is cut off from the bulk of his army in t
Published October 31st 2014 by Victrix Books; 1st edition (first published October 27th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Great Revolt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great Revolt

Start your review of The Great Revolt (Marius' Mules, #7)
Paul Bennett
Oct 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have a pretty full plate right now when talking about reading and in my case now, writing. I have at least three Kindle books to read not including the one I am currently reading and a couple paperbacks as well. This is now coupled with the writing of my first novel and I would be hesitant to add anything else for the time being. However when given the chance to beta read a new Marius Mules then hesitancy is forgotten, current read is put on hold and the writing slows for a bit. Marius Mules ...more
Kd
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A classic page turner

It was easy to forget the fictional elements and to lose oneself in the narrative as though it were all fact. And try as you may to see from the Gaulish point of view, eympathy stays with Rome and Caesar and Legate Fronto
Leonard Bacica
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Let me start with a huge spoiler: Caesar has won the war on Gauls. The readers that don't know that are very lucky, as they will have on their hands a very tense historical novel, whose conclusion hangs on a thread up until the very end. For the rest of us, the point of interest rests more with the journey than with the destination. Of course Caesar or Marc Anthony survive and, to an extent, we all know what happened to Vercingetorix in the aftermath of the battle of Alesia, but there's uncertai ...more
Jaybour
Oct 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Jenny and Lilian Should Be Sacked

The editing of this book is an absolute travesty. Endless sentences, total disdain for correct pronoun usage (e.g., he vs. him, I vs. me), homonym abuse (e.g., reign vs. rein, counsel vs.council), and innumerable word omissions made for a very unpleasant read. Yet Turney thanks Jenny and Lilian for their editing! The mind boggles.
Gerald Zemlo
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Romans at their best. Gruesome delivery of words take you into the action. Best book yet in the series. Can't wait to read the next.
Daniel E.
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great read!!
Tony Pursel
Jun 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Again Great

The saga of MARIUS'S Mules keeps getting better and better.
This book is longer than some of the past works but well worth the time.
David Miles
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ave Caesar!

Wow. That was a fantastic depiction of the Roman subjugation of the Gallic tribes.
Robin Carter
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review:
As anyone who follows my blog knows I’m a friend and fan of Simons work, but I like to think I can still be objective in my reviews. The good thing is I don’t have to try that hard, because every book Simon writes at the moment learns from the last, improves on the last and provides powerful exhilarating characters, intricate plotting and as the series has progressed, a breakneck speed.
MM7 is no exception, in fact it is probably that and a lot more. For me the Marius Mules series has alwa
Francis Mulhern
Nov 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I think the Fronto series is my favourite Roman read. The great revolt harks back to the earlier books with more warfare and a complex plot which draws the reader into the action. I really must add that anyone wanting a good story, plenty of battles and book that you can hardlyput down because it is so good - this is the one for you.
I really liked the addition of different character views brought in through the narrative and felt that the story was better for it. I loved the extensive battles an
Guy
Oct 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: roman-fiction
I just love this series; what more can I say. You must start at the beginning or you will lose a lot. The characters and the writing have developed over the series and the plots have become more sophisticated. I am praying that Fronto will fight on against Pompey and through the the Civil Wars. That way there will be so much more to read!

If you love Roman military fiction, this is a must.
Bill Campbell
Dec 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wondering about Alesia?

Tourney is a great writer and it is always great to read one of his books. He studies the history so you don't need to.

If you know something about Alesia and are curious about the events surrounding this great battle, this is an entertaining way to become educated concerning this history.
Kate
A thoroughly researched and action-packed account of Caesar's campaign against the mighty Gaul - Vercingetorix.

John Warren
Jul 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
probably the best series I have read in long time cant wait to pick it up again after gaul and lead into the civil war
Roger
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
At times I really needed a map to see where we were in Gaul, it can be very confusing. Draws a lot of threads together in a monster of a final narrative.
Robert
May 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
as good as the rest of them. waiting for the next one.
M J COTTAM
Mar 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great read

Great read but a bit wordy, could have been more to the point in many place's hence 4 star's not 5
Lee H. Huberty
Elaine - Kindle new
Jan 19, 2019
Glenn A. Bergman
Jun 02, 2019

• Emperor's Sword (Imperial Assassin #1)
  • Traitors of Rome (Eagle #18)
  • Watchmen Of Rome (Carbo of Rome #1)
  • Emperor's Knife (Imperial Assassin #2)
  • Caligula (The Damned Emperors #1)
  • Legionary (Legionary, #1)
  • The Legions of the Mist: A gripping novel of Roman adventure
  • The Centurions
  • The Emperor's Games (The Centurions #3)
  • The Blood of Rome (Eagle #17)
  • Viper of the North (Legionary, #2)
  • Land of the sacred Fire (Legionary #3)
  • The Fall of Britannia (Roman, #1)
  • Barbarian Princess (The Centurions #2)
  • Emperor of Rome (Vespasian, #9)
  • Anthony and Cleopatra: Part II - Cleopatra (Marching With Caesar #5)
  • Emperor's Axe (Imperial Assassin #3)
  • Odin's Game (The Whale Road Chronicles, #1)
Simon lives with his wife and children and a menagerie of animals in rural North Yorkshire, where he sits in an office, wired on coffee and digestive biscuits, and attempts to spin engrossing tales out of strands of imagination while his children drive toys across his desk and two dogs howl as they try to share a brain cell.

A born and bred Yorkshireman with a love of country, history and architect

Marius' Mules (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Invasion of Gaul (Marius' Mules, #1)
  • The Belgae (Marius' Mules, #2)
  • Gallia Invicta (Marius' Mules, #3)
  • Conspiracy of Eagles (Marius' Mules, #4)
  • Hades' Gate (Marius' Mules, #5)
  • Caesar's Vow (Marius' Mules, #6)
  • Sons of Taranis (Marius' Mules,  #8)
  • Pax Gallica (Marius' Mules #9)
  • Fields of Mars (Marius' Mules, #10)
  • Tides of War (Marius' Mules #11)