Jump to ratings and reviews

Breeder #1

Breeder

Everything about Seventeen’s life is perfect, from her genetics, to her home in Sanctuary, to her status as a Breeder in the Unified World Order. But all that changes when she meets a rogue Enforcer named Pax, who infiltrates Sanctuary and targets her for extraction from the Controlled Repopulation Program. Pax seems to know a little too much about her, and he plants dangerous doubts in her mind that accuse Sanctuary of hiding a dark secret, and that cause Seventeen to question everything she’s ever known.
When Seventeen’s life is threatened, she has little choice but to run away from Sanctuary with Pax. But for Breeders, contact with men is forbidden by law, and even the simple act of taking Pax’s hand is treason.
Mired in confusion, Seventeen travels with Pax to the outside world and takes the name Pria, the identity of her childhood. But she is far from certain she’s made the right decision when they discover an entire community of people who should no longer exist.
Seventeen, now Pria, is thrust into a position as a key player in a dangerous bid to bring down the Unified World Order. Meanwhile, Pax’s attachment to her and her growing attraction to him contribute to the ever-growing mysteries in her life.
Pria’s journey from a sheltered, naïve Breeder to a rebel agent requires not only external transformation but self-discovery. As her world crumbles, Pria must decide who she is and what she really believes.
But the truth comes at a cost, and uncovering it will require a greater treason than she could ever have imagined.

379 pages, Paperback

First published December 11, 2014

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

K.B. Hoyle

12 books186 followers
K. B. Hoyle is a multiple award-winning Young Adult author, a public speaker, and a creative writing instructor.

She was a panel speaker at the 2013 Sydney Writer's Festival in Sydney, Australia, and a featured speaker at the Great American Book Festival in 2017. Her books receive high acclaim from readers and reviewers worldwide.

In between writing books and articles and planning events, she stays busy at her home in Alabama with her husband and their four sons, but she loves hearing from her readers! You can reach her personally at author@kbhoyle.com.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 30 of 63 reviews
Profile Image for Glass.
643 reviews4 followers
December 13, 2014
Review posted at Ja čitam, a ti?

If you are familiar with the work of K.B. Hoyle, you probably know that she has a way with words - The Getaway Chronicles was a compelling story about a girl and her friends who find out about hidden world for which they believed existed only in fairy tales. It was perfect series for younger and older readers. Today, she is giving us completely new story- Breeder is a first novel in new The Breeder Cycle series.

Why should you read this book?

Intriguing idea. I've noticed that several readers compared this book with the TV show Dollhouse. I haven't watched it yet, but Breeder reminded me of one other show - The Lottery. Controlled reproduction and playing with human genome after the world wide disaster. At least, Breeder started like that. I was scared in which direction storyline would go because it was kind of too familiar, but I shouldn't have doubted. What happened next left me with my mouth open and at loss of words. And that twist in the end? Oh my God, wait until you read that!

Strong characters. Both Pria and Pax will get your attention from the very first page. It is hard to find unique characters in dystopian (or any other) genre, but these two come close to that. Only thing two of them want is to find a place where they can be themselves and not what is expected of them to be, but to accomplish that goal, there is much harder task before Pria and Pax. Especially Pria. I liked how quickly she managed to fit in to the outside world and still not change completely. Also, if you're afraid that there will be a romance to ruin it all - don't be. Love is not the main focus of this book.

Action-packed. You will bite your nails and pull your hair. Breeder is quick and fun read that will keep you on your toes until the very end and then make you demand the sequel as soon as possible.

It will make you think... about some of your own views as well as things our society teaches us. What we accept as "normal" and many other things we take for granted.

Final judgement? New K.B. Hoyle novel is a perfect choice for fans of dystopian novels, even for those who think how there can't possibly be any new premise when it comes to this genre. Breeder will surprise you.
Profile Image for Mauoijenn.
1,127 reviews106 followers
December 13, 2014
*NetGalley book review*

Holy. Shit. Balls. I found this book on NetGalley and it was the first book I was approved to read that I requested. I knew it was another dystopia book but I rather like those. Very edgy kind of stuff. This book was excellent. I literally had to read this in one night. Gripping story line, in depth characters and beautifully written. I can not wait to read more from Hoyle.
Profile Image for Angela Crouch.
64 reviews19 followers
October 23, 2014
Before reading the book, I had no description to go by and I was amazed! Yes, the cover art is intriguing, but the occasional caution must be applied when going in blind. There are those typical fears of not knowing if you will like the book or if it will be something you try and read but, for some odd reason, just cannot get in to. You all know exactly what I am talking about.

Breeder was anything but a let down. The characters were extremely well written, making me able to empathize with Pria and Pax and the situation they find themselves in. I kept turning the pages because I just had to find out what happened to these people and, to my shock, finished the book in a day! Another thing I really appreciated about Hoyle's writing is her development of Pria. Pria starts the book as extremely naive and, as Breeder progresses, she starts to grow. She does not however, immediately become completely self-aware, as do characters in many other books. Hoyle is consistent! Pria's character becomes more aware of the ways of the world towards the end of the book, but there is still plenty she does not know. Here's to hoping K.B. Hoyle will finish Book Two, Criminal, quicker than George R. R. Martin finishes his because this girl is hooked!

Genre: Adult Dystopian
Positives: The book! Need I say more? If you are new to the dystopian genre, this is the perfect book to start with! The book is set in Denver and is an easy read with familiar terms with an obvious dystopian theme.
Negatives: That the second book is not out yet!
Rating: A well earned 5 out of 5 stars!
Profile Image for Andrea (mrsaubergine).
1,462 reviews88 followers
March 4, 2015
So, so good! The setup reminded me a lot of the Jos Whedon series Dollhouse with its blissed-out "breeders" and the room with the Tree of Life. I could not put this book down.

K.B. Hoyle has created a realistic dystopia with well-rounded characters we immediately root for. Pria is great as the innocent breeder of the title, thrust into an outside world she never could have even imagined. Of course there's a boy - Pax may be a ginger, but he is a man of mystery and definitely falls into the swoony category. I cannot wait for book two. I want it now!

Profile Image for Carolien.
331 reviews7 followers
November 12, 2014
★★★★ thrilling, original stars!

*ARC provided via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*

Expected publication: December 11th 2014 by The Writer’s Coffee Shop Publishing House

And we have a winner! I absolutely loved this story: it’s a real page turner, has a good pacing for a dystopian and a strong heroine. I’m really happy that I had the opportunity to read this one before the publishing date and I can’t wait for the second book to be out next year!

So what’s the story about? B-Seventeen (who’s real name is Pria) is a Breeder, a genetically superior human being, living in a sheltered area called ‘The Sanctuary’ where she is part of the Breeding Program of the Unified World Order (UWO) to repopulate the human kind with ‘perfect and controlled amounts of people’ after the world has been devastated by three great tragedies.
Until she meets an Enforcerer named Pax, who makes her doubt everything she is taught. When her life is threatened, she has no choice to run away with Pax where they begin their journey towards the truth…

The first thing that drew my attention in this story was the genetic part. It’s so believable and that makes the world building very strong: it’s easy to imagine the background so compared to other more complex dystopians you roll into the story with ease. What I liked a lot about the story was the pacing. I’ve read quite of lot of books that just go on and on like a rollercoaster and you have no time to take a breath. With this one, you do. I especially loved the middle part where Pax and Pria get settled inside the Nest and meet some great side characters. The ending picks up on speed again and I have to say, that did feel a bit rushed. A lot of preparation is made in the middle of the book for the final part and when it’s finally time for Pria to do her thing, it’s over before you know it.

Pria and Pax, I really liked them as characters. They were mature, wise and likable. Because of the way they were raised (or not raised…) and taught, they both were oblivious to many aspects of human behaviour. Like romance, sexual relationships, marriage and so on. This makes the romance part between them very different than we’re used to. It’s slow building and you see they don’t know what they feel and how to behave. Still, their bond was extremely well written and strong, enough to have us readers have high hopes for the next book.

The only minor points for me in this story were the rushed feeling towards the end and the sometimes lack of emotions from Pria. I know the lack of emotions is believable (because how she was raised) and it fits Pria but I did miss it somehow. I would absolutely love to know way more about Pax too and I so hope we see some chapters from his POV in the next book(s).
And that gives me my final critical note: although I loved this refreshingly good dystopian story, again we have a dystopian that becomes a trilogy…urgh…I hate waiting!! But, do know that this first book ends at a decent point and there is no major cliffhanger.

Highly recommended and original, mature dystopian, add it to your TBR-pile!!

(Also published at www.booksanddutchtea.wordpress.com)

Profile Image for Lexi.
59 reviews6 followers
June 20, 2017
B-17, or Pria, is genetically engineered perfection. Designated to be artificially inseminated and carry genetically engineered babies, Pria has spent the last five years behind the walls of Sanctuary with other female Breeders and their female protectors. She has the perfect life, blessed above all others--or so she is supposed to think. When Pria remembers meeting a man, she starts asking too many questions and is forced to escape when the only people she knows turn on her. Pax, the mysterious man, reappears and helps her make it outside the control of the Unified World Order to a rebel nest of genetic "inferiors," where everything Pria has been taught is challenged.
Hoyle makes an interesting (and perhaps unrealistic) choice when she decides to have Pria and Pax be ignorant of sex and regular human relationships, but it makes their relationship move very slowly. But hey, that's okay--more for me to read in Criminal, the second of Hoyle's trilogy set to come out in 2015. Still, it seems a choice that would reflect the YA genre more than NA.
I really enjoyed this book--I didn't want it to end. The prose is very readable and reflects what's going on in the story--slow and sluggish in the beginning, as Pria herself is heavily medicated, but by the end she's wide awake. The only thing that kind of bothered me was how long it took for Pria to stop accusing Pax of lying to her. It goes on a little long, and Hoyle keeps hammering the point home that she's a genius, so you think she would have suspended some disbelief for a second and gone with it, at least until she wasn't stuck with him anymore. To be fair, this is Pria's story, not Pax's, and I am glad that Hoyle does not negotiate that point.
By the end of the novel, Pria's strength, courage and desire for freedom won me over and she's fully transformed into a strong and sympathetic character. I love the idea of Pria's position as a breeder made to repopulate the earth, and the fact that she's already given birth, lending her an air of maturity. Fans of dystopia, especially The Giver, won't want to miss out on this one--I'm looking forward to more work from Hoyle.
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for A.B. Shepherd.
Author 2 books37 followers
October 26, 2014
Because I am an avid fan/blogger of K.B. Hoyle's Gateway Chronicles series, her publisher offered me an advanced review copy of K.B.'s newest book, Breeder.

I loved the Gateway Chronicles series geared toward Young Adults, and was intrigued by K.B.'s first foray into a New Adult dystopian world, especially because dystopian has been my flavor of the month for quite some time now, so I immediately said yes.

Breeder is the story of a woman called B-Seventeen, a superior genetic specimen chosen for the coveted Breeding Program of the UWO - Unified World Order over 100 years after the world has been devastated by three great tragedies, including a famine, a plague, and invasion by hostile aliens.

The world's population was decimated by these tragedies and is being put back together by the government - the UWO - attempting to breed a genetically superior species. Breeders live a sheltered and pampered life from age 13 until they are no longer able to produce viable offspring.

B-Seventeen is one of the lucky ones. Or is she? She thinks so at least, until the day her current pregnancy is deemed unviable and is terminated. That day she meets Pax. She's had no contact with men in over five years, and now one turns up telling her she is in danger and everything she knows is a lie.

It's a wild (and for me, enjoyable) ride from there. She doesn't know who or what to believe, and who to trust and is incredibly naive due to her sheltered existence. I was forcing myself to put this book down on a couple of occasions, just because it was going too fast and I didn't want to finish it so soon. And at the end of it, my love for K.B. Hoyle turned to frustration and hate (not the vindictive or evil sort) again, simply because even though this book is complete there is still so much I want and need to know and she hasn't written the next book in this series yet.

Seriously K.B. Come on! Give us a break already. Write faster!!!

I adore this author's works. Can't wait for Criminal.
Profile Image for Marian Jacobs.
Author 1 book13 followers
September 15, 2018
I'm a big fan of the Gateway Chronicles so I snatched this up as soon as I heard it was out! I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The characters were memorable and lovable, the themes are just what our generation needs, the setting was perfectly selected for the plot, etc. I have been thinking all year that I have not read one single dystopian book in the last couple years that I've remotely liked well enough to purchase (and sometimes even finish!) This was refreshing. The heroine is not some kind of bad a** jerk who's out to save the world single-handedly and who inevitably falls in love with a nice guy who's way too good for her. Both she and Pax are believable and flawed and can't do it on their own. Their interactions are also sweet and romantic without being awkward and sexy.
Profile Image for Kathie (katmom).
689 reviews46 followers
December 11, 2014
HAPPY RELEASE DAY!!!

Wow, this one was intense. From the first moment we realize what Seventeen has lost, to her escape with a man who might be just using her, to her decision to search for the truth, this is one rough journey.

Ms. Hoyle has built a future world that has moments of shining beauty...and monsters come to life that once were only in our nightmares.

Seventeen has been bred and raised to give the fruits of her womb to the Unified World Order. She's a Breeder, and that's her only job. Until something happens and despair trickled into her perfect world. She's not even sure why she feels this way.

Suddenly a man offers to help her. He says his name is Pax and he asks her for her name. She answers, Pria. He has to be a dream, but then the nightmare becomes truth and there's a death order on Seventeen's head. Escape is the only way for Pria to live.

Freedom is scary, but fills her with something that she finds she longed for. She still wonders if she can trust Pax, but it seems like the right thing to do as they search for a home.

Home comes with a cost and Pria has to decide if it's worth it.

I really think I need to add a warning here. Not sure how to word it without spoiling anything. Here goes: There are some deaths here that affected me greatly. I'd actually put the tag "horror" on the book, as I was pretty horrified at some points. Don't get me wrong, this book is good, great even...and I want the next one now. And if I could get the third and final book the moment after I read the last page of book two, Criminal, then that would be even better. But do be aware that some scenes are beyond tense.

*Thank you, NetGalley and TWCS, for the opportunity to read Breeder.
Profile Image for Ana Garcês.
93 reviews66 followers
November 16, 2014
*ARC provided via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*
Might contain a little spoiler.

Initially I thought I would be reading ONE MORE dystopian book. I like the genre but lately it's hard to find something new since the formula is always the same. But this book! By God, this book! It's so, so, so, so, so good!

I got to say that the story is a bit heavy. I mean, having a fifteen year-old girl Carrying (aka being pregnant) just because of the repopulation program and she being aware (kinda, you have to read to understad) is not a very common topic. But I loved how everything was explained. I could not put this book down!

I absolutely loved this story! You keep turning page after page after page wanting to know more. It has a good pacing for a dystopian and a strong heroine - my favourite part!
Profile Image for Dana.
2,409 reviews
July 7, 2015
This is an excellent YA paranormal romantic story. In a post-apocalyptic world, Seventeen is a Breeder, chosen to carry "products" to further the human race which had been depleted due to wars and other troubles. Now, the UWO controls every aspect of everyone's lives, telling them that it is much better that way. When Seventeen encounters Pax, and remembers that her name is Pria, her life changes and soon she has to leave the Sanctuary where she has been living and flee into the wilderness as she learns the truth about what the government is really doing. Action, adventure and a bit of romance abound in this young adult thriller. I received this book free to review from Netgalley and I look forward to reading the next book in the series.
Profile Image for Ginger Hewitt.
56 reviews1 follower
July 25, 2017
Really really enjoyed this book. Spoilers ahead, beware! But I wanted an honest, filtered review for my 6th grade teachers. The word "rape" is used, but it never happens (it's never explained either.) A shirt is ripped off, but undergarments remain intact. A four-letter word is almost used once. By this, I mean it's represented as b--ch. Otherwise, it's a practically perfect dystopian story that had me hooked and staying up past my bedtime to see how it played out. Cannot wait to hear this author speak!!
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Sarah .
166 reviews537 followers
March 19, 2019
Wow this was really really cool and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
The whole premise was promising from the start and I really liked how the story and relationships between the characters progressed. As the main character Seventeen/Pria learns about her world and what is going it is is very engrossing. I love the world and would recommend the book if you are in the mood for a great dystopian
Profile Image for Sandra "Jeanz".
1,149 reviews163 followers
November 21, 2014
INITIAL THOUGHTS UPON FINISHING THE BOOK
Primarily dystopian society with a touch of post apocalyptic too. Complex society, breeding programme. Tiers of class. Genetic sci-fi edge.
Action, drama packed from beginning to end. Loved it!
Great characters,loved Pria, Pax, and Celine. There's so much more to learn about Pax and his past. Then we need to know if Wallace can decipher the encrypted files that Pria enabled them to obtain. There's quite a lot of unfinished business and some loose ends to be tied off too, such as what was happening back at the nest whilst Pria was in the Sanctuary.

INITIAL THOUGHTS
As one of my favourite genres is dystopian I was immediately attracted to this one, both with the cover and the blurb.

MY REVIEW
I downloaded this one from Netgalley in exchange for my honest review.
The cover is grey which perfectly fits the dystopian/apocalyptic feel of the book. The tree on the cover represents the "Tree Of Unity" that is mentioned within the book. It represents a tree that the girls in the Sanctuary can sit and stare at during meditation, it is supposed to represent the fact they are altogether as one reproducing for the greater good of the world.
The tree is also relevant as those "survivors" that live on the outside have a slang/nickname for those in the commune or sanctuary, they call them "cogs". As you will see on the cover the tree branches/leaves are actually cogs and wheels. This name represents that the girls are merely small cogs in a greater cause.
Would the cover make me pick this book up from a bookstore shelf? Yes, for sure!
The dystopian/apocalyptic society is set on Gaia, which was once over populated. The world was divided and at war with each other. Along came the "3 Devastations". The three devastations were 1 The Great Famine, followed by 2 The Great Pandemic and finally 3 The Great Incusion. That is when the "Unified World Order" was created. It is then that the Controlled Repopulation Program is brought into place. So the main characters in this book are Pria or number 17 as she is referred to inside the Controlled Repopulation Program inside the building referred to as Sanctuary. Number 17/Pria is chosen to become what is called a breeder or carrier and be part of this revered program as she carries a specific gene that will make humanity stronger, have better health and be more versatile. It is drilled into the females in Sanctuary that their "life is perfect in Sanctuary, that they want for nothing ". Every minute of their day is planned out. All Breeders/Carriers have their head's shaved to prevent anyone from becoming vain or jealous as these are two traits that are considered undesirable. The majority of females in Sanctuary are drugged via medication given to them in the guise of being vitamins to keep them and their pregnancies healthy. It is considered a gift and something very special to be carrying a child. Though as soon as the children are born and able to be separated from their mothers they are. Not all pregnancies go full term, sometimes the children being carried are deemed nonviable and are terminated. No one really knows what happens to the children when they are removed from their mothers at Sanctuary. In fact what is hinted at is extremely sinister.
For some reason which we don't really find out Number 17/Pria has been taken down for a medical procedure which means she is no longer pregnant. As she has undergone this procedure her medication is changed, which has a side effect of allowing her to become more lucid and aware of her surroundings. It is during the state of part lucidity that Pria meets a male protector named Pax, he says he is there for her, he can help her escape. It is an extreme rarity to see a male in Sanctuary, in fact the last time Pria remembers seeing a male was before she came to Sanctuary when she was just 5 years old. Once in Sanctuary the girls are what I could only describe as being brainwashed, they are told that they are doing an important job for the world, and that their lives are perfect and should be happy to be part of this special program.This reduction in medication also allows her to become inquisitive and to ask questions. the down side to this is that she is noticed and marked as a possible "problem". The head woman within the sanctuary known as the "Mother" tries to dissuade No17/Pria from asking questions, unfortunately this leads 17/Pria to question herself and become depressed by her situation. No17/Pria cannot forget about meeting the male protector called Pax. In fact N017/Pria does end up being rescued by Pax, though are his motives truly honest as he too wants to use her to ingratiate himself with a nearby nest of survivors. Pax and Pria are taken in to nest but end up paying dearly for their new home as the survivors want something in return that ends up putting Pria back into the very danger that Pax originally rescued her from.
I have talked about the society and its beliefs whilst still leaving plenty of details for you to discover on your own by reading this great book. I really enjoyed the complex society, the different classes of people and the characters. I also loved the fairly fast pace of the writing and the descriptions of the surrounding. I loved the description of the large one way window, there was both a great scene describing and a tragic thing seen through it too.
There's some great characters too, Pax and Pria both not used to trusting others, came to genuinely trust and rely on each other. I also warmed to Celeste near the end of the book. This book ends and leaves you with so many questions. I want to know much more about Pax and his story of his survival up until he met Pria. I also want to learn about what the survivors/would be rebels are going to do next. I have an awful feeling that we haven't seen the worst of these people yet. that perhaps we should be wondering which organisation is the most corrupt. I could seriously rattle on about this book forever, so much happens within it's pages.
Did I enjoy the book? I loved it I quite literally devoured it! The plot, society and characters just had me addicted to the book I hated having to put it down!
Would I recommend the book? Yes its a must read! If you enjoy dystopian fiction then this is for you.
Would I want to read another book in this series? Yes please, as soon as its available!
Would I want to read other books by K.B. Hoyle? I do intend on checking out other books by this author.
Profile Image for Shelly Wygant.
1,237 reviews16 followers
December 1, 2014
This Book Was Given To Me By The Author In Exchange For An Honest Review

As a Breeder Seventeen lives a perfect life. Her home is the Sanctuary and her sole job is to provide genetically perfect children for the Controlled Repopulation Program. She starts to question her perfect life and it leads to trouble for her. She is rescued from trouble by a rogue Enforcer named Pax. With Pax by her side she learns of a whole new world and learns of some deep dark secrets of the Sanctuary.

The characters are well developed in this book. The time is taken to develop Pax's history and you sympathize with everything he has been through. Pria is naive at first because they only let her learn so much at the Sanctuary. As she sees the world and learns about life outside the Sanctuary she becomes curious to learn everything she can. She also becomes a brave individual who wants to be help when she can. The secondary characters in this book are also well developed in the fact that you get to know their past also.

The story line of this book was full of action and kept you reading to learn what happened next. The Unified World Order want to repopulate the human kind with ‘perfect and controlled amounts of people’ after the world has been devastated by three great tragedies but with what repercussions? The secrets that unfold were mind boggling at times. This book was believable to a point that you did thing long and hard about some of the events actually taking place. It also makes you think about the "perfect" person and world.

It does not end on a cliffhanger but does end leaving you wanting to learn more about what the future of Pria and Pax hold. If you like Dystopian you will love this book. If you have not read Dystopian then I suggest you pick up this book and you will fall in love with the genre.

Review has been done in conjunction with Nerd Girl Official. For more information regarding our reviews please visit our Fansite: www.facebook.com/NerdGirl.com
Profile Image for K.J. Simmill.
Author 6 books133 followers
May 26, 2016
Breeder by K.B. Hoyle is a brilliant example of dystopian fiction. Humanity has been forced to the brink of extinction, taking with it a large population of wildlife. Fortunately the Unified World Order has introduced a Controlled Reproduction Program, in the interest of survival only the most perfect genes will do. Flaws will not be tolerated so in order to ensure a perfect child Breeders are carefully selected. Seventeen is one such Breeder, one designated as genetically ideal. She is happy, her life is perfect. Or is it? An enforcer named Pax stirred such doubts while reminding her of a name she once possessed long ago, Pria. Doubts and curiosity are not tolerated. Forced to flee Pax aids her escape. She has never seen the world outside, a world of survival. Threat is around every corner and soon she discovers the existence of something Pax calls nests, a community of those with recessive genes, and his needing to find one is the reason he sought to rescue her. They need her, a Breeder, in order to stand against the UWO, can they convince her of the truth, of a reality conveniently hidden from all those within the UWO?

Breeder is one of the best examples of first person narrative I have ever read. It is engaging, descriptive and immersive. K.B. Hoyle introduces an array of diverse and interesting characters, conflict, and a gripping plot. To say I enjoyed this is an understatement, I was absolutely captivated. This book was simply perfect in every way. It is well-written, well-balanced, thought provoking, and thrilling. Breeder is filled with imaginative ideas underlined with a subtle horror as the reader is forced to consider how easily the world created could come to pass, especially when we already place so much focus on appearance and physical traits. Breeder will certainly appeal to a wide audience. I myself can’t wait to read more, and will be eagerly awaiting the next instalment.
Profile Image for Kasey Cocoa.
954 reviews39 followers
December 12, 2014
Before you say no to another dystopian book give this one a chance. I doubt you'll be let down. The writing is smooth and written intelligently making this an easy read that is difficult to put down. The characters are well fleshed out and believable aside from a couple minor things that lends this to a younger audience instead of adult readers. My son and I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and I can easily recommend it to anyone who enjoys light fantasy, dystopian, post-apocalyptic or survival themed reads. I received an ARC through The Writer's Coffee Shop in exchange for an honest review. This in no way influenced my opinion.
18 reviews
November 13, 2014
One of the best stories I have read.. K. B. Hoyle is now one of my favourite writers. Pria and Pax kept me wanting to know ....what next....Can not wait to read Criminal, or any others by this writer. Breeder is a way of life I hope never happens but it seems very plausible .
Profile Image for Adam Shields.
1,634 reviews79 followers
April 1, 2020
Summary: A dystopian trilogy (with a prequel) that is both an enjoyable read and prescient.

I have not been reading much fiction lately. But with my brain distracted by real life and less time since my kids are not in school right now, it felt like a perfect time to pick up KB Hoyle's Dystopian series. About 18 months ago I read Hoyle's fantasy series that started with The Six. I read the series quickly and loved the books. They were certainly in my list of favorite fiction books that I read in 2018.

Once I have a feel for fiction authors, I tend to try to read them completely blind. I had not read any of the descriptions of the series before picking it up. And as I finished each one, I just picked up the next without writing a post. At this point, I do not think it makes sense to write individual responses because this is a single story, told over four books.

The setting is roughly 200 years after two different mass devastation events. There is a single world government that is trying to repopulate the earth after the majority of the population died in a massive famine, a wide-scale pandemic or a third event that I will not reveal. The main character at the start of the first book is one of the breeders, Seventeen (later Pria). Other characters are quickly introduced and many of them continue through the series.

I am not going to give away plot details but a couple of notes. KB Hoyle has great plots. Hints are given, but I did not know where the story was going to end up as I was going along. I can also guess that a few people will be disappointed in how some of the first two books end, but remember, this is a single large story arc, keep reading.

Also, this is a young adult dystopian book. Hoyle does not tell childish stories, but they are pitched to a teen or advanced pre-teen audience. There is some romance and hinting at sexual situations (the title of the first book is breeder and the evil government plot involves young women serving as baby factories so some of this is set up in the concept.) However, there is nothing on the page more than insinuation and teen appropriate discussion. (Spoiler--there is an attempted rape at one point, but the victim does not fully understand what is going on apart from the violence until later. )
Having read both series that KB Hoyle has written, the plotting and engagement is high. This series will not appeal to everyone. And while I picked up a dystopian series because we are on pandemic lockdown, that will not be helpful for everyone. But for me, the chapters were short enough that I could pick up a book here and there and make real progress. The book was engaging and had a clear good vs evil structure that even as it dealt with hard things at times, it was comforting to read a story about people that were trying to save humanity and willing to risk it all.

Profile Image for Patricia Reding.
Author 5 books161 followers
June 26, 2017
It quickly becomes clear when reading Breeder, why K.B. Hoyle is an award-winning author. Specifically, Breeder, Book One of The Breeder Cycle, is a Literary Classics and a Readers’ Favorite award winner. From the opening pages, I knew that I was in for a treat. While I don’t read a lot of science fiction or dystopian stories, I can enjoy a well-thought through, well-constructed story in any genre—and Breeder certainly hit all of the marks for me.

K.B. Hoyle introduces readers to an approved Breeder for the Controlled Repopulation Program, who resides at Sanctuary. One of a group of young women that the Unified World Order (UWO) holds because they are of “perfect” genetic background, the breeders’ job is to be “happy” and to provide Contributions—in the form of newborns. Initially identifying only as resident number “Seventeen,” Hoyle’s young protagonist recalls (at the prompting of another) her former name: Pria. Not long thereafter, she finds herself questioning the system in which she lives and spirals into a deep depression. Later, during a visit to the medical unit, she meets Pax. Pax—who should long ago have met his end in that he exhibits physical characteristics that clearly identify him as one who is not of acceptable genetic lineage--convinces Pria that her life is in danger and that she should escape with him. The two manage to leave Sanctuary, then head into the mountains of the territory formerly known as Colorado. There they meet up with a group of renegades intent on bringing the UWO and its lies to an end. But first they need information to which only Pria can provide them access.

Breeder was a quick and very satisfying read. The characters were real, full, and interesting. The setting met the story. The world Hoyle built satisfied this reader’s expectations. To top it all off, Breeder concluded with a satisfying “end.” But even with all of that, this reader is delighted to know that there is more to come, in Criminal: The Breeder Cycle, Volume Two. I look forward to discovering more about Pria, Pax, and all of their newfound friends (and enemies!). If you enjoy YA or are looking for engaging, well-written, “clean” stories for young readers, look no further than Breeder.
Profile Image for Katie.
94 reviews
February 5, 2021
Very, very rarely do you find an amazing, well written book, with unforgettable characters, a fantastic plot line, and zero complaints.

Breeder was recommended by my adorable, 16 year old coworker. I had zero hopes in this book actually being worth reading. I thought I would borrow the series and tell her it was ok. I never, in a million years, thought this kid would give me this fantastic novel to read!!

Characters-
Pria- her character is so believable! She starts off as a terribly naive teenager whose world view is very, very limited. As he character grows and sees the world, he learning and growth is at a believable pace. This was one of my biggest likes about this book. No, automatic knowledge from living outside the Sanctuary for 2 weeks. She’s very intelligent and I can’t wait to watch her grow and learn about her new world.

Pax- I don’t know but there is something fishy about Pax. He’s too forth coming. When he is injured, he can continue to carry Pria and run up a mountain. My guess would be he was physically altered while in the Sanctuary but is very reluctant to tell anyone about his modifications.

World setting- World building was phenomenal!! I really appreciated when Hoyle just came right out and explained what happened in the beginning of the book. I also like the mystery surrounding the UWO. What other monstrosities are they capable of? Some of the “issues” involved with the UWO are super creepy and down right disgusting! (I can’t say too much because I don’t want to give anything away)

Our friends at the nest are an interesting collection of individuals and families. The dynamics between these characters is very intriguing and I can’t wait to see this group continue.

I am greatly looking forward to the next book (thanks Felicity for sharing these books). I guess I’m gonna be a little more open minded when that 16 year old recommends a good book to me 🥰🥰
December 9, 2014
This review originally appeared on my blog at www.gimmethatbook.com.

I love a good dystopian story, and Breeder did not disappoint. The first part, when Seventeen/Pria was living in the Sanctuary, reminded me of Brave New World/The Giver/1984. The second part reminded me of the Matrix movies, when they were living underground.

Breeder is set in the future, where the Unified World Order has set rules for everyone to live by, rules for propagation of the human race, and specific boundaries that everyone abide by. Only the genetically perfect can Breed, and they are considered “better” than others and treated as such. Breeders live in Sanctuary, and their duty is to Carry and create life. Their routine is carefully planned out, their diet and vitamins meticulously calculated, and as Seventeen/Pria tells herself, “My life is perfect”.

One day, as she is waking up from an unknown procedure, she comes in contact with an Enforcer, who asks her what her name is. This is forbidden, and she is suspicious. However, she is unsure if she dreamed this, since the Enforcer (whose name is Pax) is a man, and there are no men allowed inside Sanctuary. As time goes by, she becomes depressed and wonders when she will be able to Carry again. (Conjecture: her unknown procedure was an abortion and she is having an emotional reaction due to abrupt hormonal changes.) The encounter with Pax stays with her, and she is naturally curious – a trait discouraged in Sanctuary. She asks questions here and there, and this comes to the attention of Mother, the leader of Sanctuary and the Breeding Program. Seventeen/Pria must fight for her life, as the world that she knows and loves turns against her.

The second part of the book take place in a desolate, hostile environment, and there is suspense and some great characters to hate. Pria (no longer Seventeen) finds herself reviled by some and viewed as a means to an end by others. As her knowledge of what the UWO has done, she becomes confused and realizes just how naive she has been. It takes a really long time for her character to develop, but Pria truly comes into her own towards the end.

There is also a twist that I didn’t see coming, that made my jaw drop. It may be a cliche, but it was well utilized to further the story. No spoilers here–you need to read it for yourself.

The story seemed to be coming to an abrupt ending, and just as I was wondering how things were going to wind up, I found out that it was a cliffhanger and this is the first book in a trilogy. AAAUUGGHHH! I’m not a big fan of the “multiple books” thing that is prevalent now, but this is no knock against the author. I’m not hating the player, just the game. Apparently I, along with a lot of Hoyle’s fan base, will be anxiously awaiting Criminal, the second book.

There really wasn’t anything to dislike about Breeder: the characters were multi layered, the dystopian world well thought out and described to a T, and almost all of the scenes were believable. This is not an overly scientific novel, and is a smooth read.

Here is an excerpt; Pax and Pria are on the run and have found a hiding place. Night has arrived and they are working out a plan for keeping watch overnight:

Silence, heavy and thick, falls between us. Awkwardness seems to creep up at unexpected times, and I wonder if it is always this way between women and men. I never felt awkward with any of my sisters, but whatever this is between Pax and me has a different feel to it.

“Anyway,” he says. “I sat against the wall over there.” He nods to an intact wall dividing the cabin into two spaces. “It’s not the warmest spot, but it gives you a good view of the access points without making you visible from the outside. Take this.” He hands me the Enforcer helmet.

“Okay.” I pick my way around the broken-down furniture and dried leaves. “So I just . . . sit and watch?”

“Keep your weapon ready,” he says. “If anything comes along, crawl over here and wake me up. But don’t worry—dawn is only a few hours off. I never saw anything other than a band of mule deer.”

I nod and settle against the wall, putting the helmet on so I can see. Pax lies down on his back right where I slept and falls almost immediately asleep. I watch his green-tinted chest rise and fall for several minutes before I remember I’m supposed to be watching the “access points,” as Pax called them.

Jagged shards of glass poke out from around the edges of the windows. The doorway gapes at me, a dark yawning hole that looks ominous even in the green glow of the helmet visor. A set of glowing green eyes outlined by a furry form with pointed ears stops outside the cabin and looks at me. Another coyote. I train my Air-5 on it and hold my breath, but it loses interest and moves on, its nose to the ground. I let out my breath. Hopefully that will be all the wildlife I see tonight.

Pax was right, it isn’t the warmest spot, but the cold air actually helps me to stay awake. Temperature, along with food and sleep, was highly regulated in Sanctuary so we never had to feel uncomfortable. As I think longingly about my warm bed in the dormitory, my head grows heavy and nods toward my chest. I jerk upright and stand to pace. I wonder how much time has passed.

Pax doesn’t even stir once in his sleep, but his eyes move beneath his eyelids. He must be having vivid dreams, like me. I suppose if his life has been as tumultuous as he’s painted it, he must have plenty to haunt his dreams.

How did I get here, pacing in the dark and cold in a structure well over a hundred years old with a weapon in my hand and meat in my stomach?

Just thinking about my stomach makes it growl, and I look around for the cook pot. It’s sitting on the hearth next to the embers of the fire, and I hope it’s still a little warm.

I pick my way over to it, stepping over Pax’s legs to reach it. Then I squat and lift the pot to my lips, testing the heat of the metal against them before taking a drink. It’s cool enough to touch, and I take several sips. The meaty flavor is still strange, but somehow satisfying.

Pax grabs my ankle, and I jump, spilling the broth.

“I’m . . . fifteen,” he says. “Fifteen . . .”

His eyes are closed and roving around beneath his freckled lids, making his golden lashes dance. I think he’s talking in his sleep.

“I know,” I say. “You told me you’re Enforcer Fifteen.”

“Fifteen,” he mumbles again. “Is . . . my . . . number.” His grip relaxes and his hand falls to the floor.

I let out a careful breath and carry what remains of the broth back to my spot against the wall. I’m not sure what that was all about, but I’d rather be out of his reach for now.

34 reviews
February 21, 2022
While reading all the glowing reviews on Goodreads, I felt confused, to say the least. I have a lot of critiques of this book, namely the ending. The plot twist with her waking up and the UWO telling her it was all a dream was AWESOME. That is, until it was immediately ruined by Pax coming to save her two seconds later, thus destroying the reader’s paranoia with Pria. That plot line should’ve been the ENTIRE SECOND BOOK. Instead it’s wrapped up in three short chapters and that’s that. I also think that if I could rewrite this book, I would have it be more of a Shutter Island or Shining scenario where Pria is slowly questioning her place in the UWO and seeing Pax and her not being sure if it’s a hallucination. I just feel like what could have been an amazing and unique book was smushed into this basic box and YA dystopian formula. The potential was wasted.

Alright, I gave it two stars, so there were some things I did like about it. I love how dark the book got. The author wasn’t afraid of blood and didn’t give the book kiddie stakes. I also love how the science behind it feels realistic and I got the impression the author put a lot of time into making the science accurate. I also think the concept at its core is quite special when not bogged down by the stereotypical tropes of its genre.

Ultimately, my biggest frustration is that this book could’ve been a stand out in a crowded genre if it hadn’t just gone with the trends at the time and made every character an archetype seen in a thousand ways.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Jennifer.
41 reviews
September 29, 2019
Well, I just read this entire book in less than 12 hours, and I’m kicking myself for not having Criminal on hand to keep going. Even though YA dystopias have been prolific, this one has more meat to it than many others in the genre. Many of the same tropes are here, female protagonist, plucky rebels, and the scary oppressive government, but Hoyle deftly weaves a fast paced story with her own clear worldview about the value of every human life. Reminiscent of The Giver, while much more straightforward and darker, Hoyle’s series has something that sets it apart from the other titles in this genre.

My only criticisms would be that the ending was maybe a bit too easy, but I have no idea what comes next. I’m sure major plot twists will follow in later books. I also noticed maybe two places in the book where a word was missing in the text.
Profile Image for Maya Joelle.
Author 1 book85 followers
December 26, 2020
SERIES REVIEW:

These are fast-paced dystopian reads with some important themes. I enjoyed the romance (though it is definitely reminiscent of Hoyle's other books) and appreciated the inclusion of characters with disabilities including Down syndrome. (There's also a character who is , but while there is some discussion of the repercussions and if it's okay for another character to , I think the plot point had great potential but the author failed to develop the idea of .)

I'm not personally a fan of the ending - it felt very rushed and I still don't understand most of what happened - but that doesn't ruin it for me.

---
read 12/21/19
Profile Image for Aimee.
141 reviews4 followers
July 11, 2017
An interesting dystopian novel with aspects of "the giver" yet many more disturbing ideologies regarding human purity and superiority. There is a bit of the "romance" aspect, but not much because of the naiveté of the main character. It kept me reading and I BOUGHT the next book ($4.99, pricy for me to splurge on an ebook) on kindle because my library didn't have it. Also it's set in and around Denver therefore I was able to picture it vividly. I recommend it for people who liked "hunger games" "the giver" or a similar dystopian setting and enjoy a good YA novel.
Profile Image for Olivia.
4 reviews
February 18, 2018
This dystopian novel was yet another amazing book by K.B. Hoyle! I was slightly worried that I would love this book series more that The Gateway Chronicles, but I soon realized how I had room in my heart for both series! I would recommend this book to anyone who loves a good adventure.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 63 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.