Start by marking “In The Shadow Of The Hill” as Want to Read:
In The Shadow Of The Hill

In The Shadow Of The Hill

An elderly woman is found battered to death in the common stairwell of an Inverness block of flats.

Detective Sergeant Joe Galbraith starts what seems like one more depressing investigation of the untimely death of a poor unfortunate who was in the wrong place, at the wrong time.

As the investigation spreads across Scotland it reaches into a past that Joe has tried to
ebook
Published October 29th 2014 by Smashwords Edition

To ask other readers questions about In The Shadow Of The Hill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In The Shadow Of The Hill

Start your review of In The Shadow Of The Hill
Claire
Dec 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mysteries
I had seen other reviews that referenced a twist ending, but I smugly assumed that at least by chapter 18 or so I knew what that ending would be. I DID NOT. It was an excellent, delicious surprise, one that reminded me of Who Rides a Tiger, a childhood favorite.
David Gilchrist
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very gritty read, good Scottish Noir.
Maureen Kenyon
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent- well developed characters and great plot with a few unexpected twists and turns, especially towards the end. Some really believable people in the storyline and a good sense of place both in Inverness and the Isle of Harris.
Barbara Henderson
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I defy anyone not to scream out loud at the final twist! Excellent suspense and a less conventional setting: Inverness.
Pep Bonet
I approached this book from a sentimental angle. The Western Hebrides are part of the family book of memories. Harris, but also Uist, Skye and, above all of them, St. Kilda. Therefore a book set in Inverness and Harris should bring moments of pleasure. And it did. It was better than expected. I guess I could have been benevolent and granted the fourth star. But I’m shy and didn’t.

There’s a story, there’s passion, there’s drunkenness and poor life, there’s an affluent family and Police
Amanda Macdonald
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I don't read a lot of police/mystery novels, but picked this one up because of the local setting. I really enjoyed it. I thought it was well-paced, and that everything fit together neatly...and then then it suddenly hit a new level. Would highly recommend.
Lexie Conyngham
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable, interesting, quietly amusing in places, but on the whole a realistic study of how the deeds of the past affect the minds of those in the present. The elderly and their frailties appear everywhere in this book. The ending was very convoluted and I wondered if the extra twist was necessary or credible, given how some of the characters had been portrayed up to then, but in my opinion on the whole it worked. I would certainly read more from this author.
Fiona MacBain
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Gripping story with intriguing characters and a fantastic twist. Really enjoyed this.
Three
Feb 04, 2015 rated it liked it
sarà....

a me pare che ci sia qualche cognome che non è più quello originale (e non si sa perché), e qualche mancato riconoscimento che non si spiega proprio.
d'altronde, qualche colpo di scena in un giallo bisogna pur mettercelo.
si può leggere, tanto più che si ripassa un po' di inglese
Stephanie
Dec 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime
Great debut from this author. I was a little confused at times but was satisfied with the ending after I managed to straighten it out in my head. I'll definitely be buying the next in the series when it comes out.
Norma
Dec 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Another great island based murder mystery.
Janice Chan
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
An interesting short novel that grew out of a short story written for a writers' club, In the Shadow of the Hill takes place in Inverness and the island of Harris. Joe Galbraith is a DI with Police Scotland, stationed in Inverness. The murder of an elderly woman leads him back to his troubled childhood on Harris.

The number of characters and plot points was a tad confusing at first, and by the end it got really confusing as characters spoke in voices from their past. There is truly a plot
Phil Jones
Apr 21, 2015 rated it liked it
I almost gave up reading after the first two chapters. It seemed obvious that here was a new writer trying too hard to impress. Overloaded with local colour and a cast of off-beat characters (most of whom never feature again) the scene-setting was too much to take in.
But I persevered and the writer soon got into her stride as the story took off. By the half way mark I was hooked and keen to fathom out what had happened to Stephen and Joe in the dim and distant past.
Unfortunately when the ending
Caroline Deacon
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
one of the few books I've read where I got to the end and just began again at the beginning. Seriously wonderful plotting
kirsty ross
Recommended

Bought this while in South Uist, good characters and story. Describes areas in and around Inverness and Nairn well too.
Yvonne
Karen Keith
Dec 28, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »

• Shadow Man
  • Copper Heart (Maria Kallio, #3)
  • The Emperor's Games (The Centurions #3)
  • Conspirata (Cicero, #2)
  • Heresy (Giordano Bruno, #1)
  • The Summer of Impossible Things
  • Across the Barricades (Kevin and Sadie, #2)
  • Bring Up the Bodies (Thomas Cromwell, #2)
  • Barbarian Princess (The Centurions #2)
  • Dictator (Cicero, #3)
  • The Wrong Box
  • Imperium: A Novel of Ancient Rome (Cicero, #1)
  • The Peat Dead
  • Rocco and the Echoes of War (Inspector Lucas Rocco)
  • Rocco and the Snow Angel - Novella: An Inspector Lucas Rocco Novella (Inspector Lucas Rocco series)
  • Rocco and the Price of Lies (Inspector Lucas Rocco)
  • Borderline (Annika Bengtzon, #9)
  • Der Tote im Strandkorb (Die Inselkommissarin 1)