Start by marking “Gotham Academy #1” as Want to Read:
Gotham Academy #1

Gotham Academy #1

(Gotham Academy (Single Issues) #1)

WELCOME TO GOTHAM ACADEMY! Gotham City’s most prestigious prep school is a very weird place. It’s got a spooky campus, oddball teachers, and rich benefactors always dropping by...like that weirdo Bruce Wayne. But nothing is as strange is the students!

Like, what’s up with Olive Silverlock? Is she crazy or what? Where did she go last summer? And what’s the deal with her cree
Published by DC Comics (first published June 23rd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Gotham Academy #1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gotham Academy #1

بس في المجمل لذيذة
Terence
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: freebies
The life and times of students at Gotham Academy.
description

I didn't particularly care for this, but I'm clearly not the target audience. I've had enough stories that focus on kids in schools for a lifetime.
Giselle
Feb 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Boarding school set in Gotham City? Sounds awesome and it is!
Amanda
Jul 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
I love this so much.
Maire Magnus ♀
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
This was all over the place, I had zero idea where the plot went
Vinton Bayne
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fantastic start. I love the background art.
Tamera
Nov 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have been meaning to review this for a month and reading issue #2 has finally given me the pants kick that I needed.

Gotham Academy #1 throws us right into the first day at the Academy for Maps Mizoguchi, who happens to be the younger sister of the guy that our (seemingly) lead character, Olive Silverlock, has been dating.

The first few pages in particular, but generally the whole issue, reminded me of Gotham's version of Hogwarts... complete with its own Filch in the form of Headmaster Hammer
Eric
Oct 17, 2014 rated it liked it
This was interesting enough, although I doubt I'll stick with it barring some amazing reviews of where it heads. It seems a lot like DC is trying to make their own Locke & Key, with Batman in it, of course.
Sam Quixote
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
Well-timed to debut between the start of a new school year and Halloween, Gotham Academy takes elements of both and mixes it up into something resembling the two. Because, wow, is Gotham Academy deliciously gothic! The school itself looks like the classic, centuries-old boarding schools in England and even the headmaster plays into that idea, making his grim first appearance with a candle.

Our hero is Olive Silverlock, a returning student to Gotham Academy, who is tasked with chaperoning the you
Annice22
Right off the bat, my three stars goes to character Maps, she's the only character in this first issue who was both interesting and had a personality while everyone else is rather forgettable including main character Olive Silverlock. Olive turned out to be another generic boring emo character. I wish Maps was the main character instead of Olive.

As for the story it was okay, nothing really happened in it. I know this series is aimed towards tween/teen girls but the writers could at least have so
Logan
Nov 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was actually very good! The story tells of a young girl who is in her second year of Gotham Academy, there is now a new girl that she has to show the ropes to. The story is funny and a lot better than I expected it to be! It does have minor connections to Batman but this series can clearly shine on its own. I Highly recommend it!
J. Aaron
Apr 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
my kind of art style--check

decent inner conflicts/purpose--check

personable sidekick/s--check

has mystery and potential--check

It was a good opening to a different take on Gotham--school life of all things!
Wing Kee
Oct 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Will review after first arc, notes below:

1) love the different tone DC is going with this series.
2) art is AMAZOMG (intention spelling), beautiful framing, wonderful line work and the colors my god
3) interesting characters that I hope to learn more about
A+!
Jessica
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this!!

I really enjoyed this comic!! can't wait till the next one comes out!! I just wish they were even longer!!
Ian Wood
Apr 23, 2015 rated it did not like it

Lexie
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I like that these are short and sweet. The graphics and drawings were amazing, and the illustrations went really well with the dialogue I already like the main character.
Gotham Academy is basically the most prestigious prep school and it's a very weird place. It's got a spooky campus,weird,creepy teachers and rich benafactors. That's all I'm gonna tell. would really recommend it.
Miguel Candelaria
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I already know I'm going to love this series.
Kass Cardoso
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Great story!
Angela Duran
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
It took me a couple of tries to even make it past the first page but once you read more into it... I LOVE IT!!! Definitely will be reading volume 2.
Andrizy Bento
Jan 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Este título (escrito por Brenden Fletcher, Becky Cloonan e ilustrado por Karl Kerschl) foi criado com a finalidade de ser uma HQ feita na medida para jovens fãs e não-iniciados no universo de Batman. Uma leitura leve mais destinada ao público infanto-juvenil, com uma louvável diversidade de personagens, uma narrativa claramente anti-estereótipos. Há uma boa dose de referências às histórias e personagens clássicos de Batman, mas não é realmente necessário ser versado na mitologia do morcego para ...more
Phoebe
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
That fourth star is aspirational.

I found a lot to like in this surprisingly dense series kick-off featuring a white hair heroine grieving her mother (sorta) and trying to find her place at sleep-away school. The art and colors are quality. The character development, not too shabby. The diversity of cast was more than decent. However, I had a LOT of unanswered questions. I think there were too many layers of mystery to the story, but I'm willing to forgive that --so long as the developing relatio
Solace Winter
Mar 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a cute story of what I have no idea. I'm not even positive at this point what it actually has to do with Gotham other than it's a familiar setting to attract interest. I'm hoping there's more of a back story, which they seem to hint at, but other than that I know nothing going into this. Why does Kyle look like he's ready to work at the local burger place in every panel?

The story is interesting enough, and the main girl not the one I expected to be the main girl, which I think makes it
Flavia
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I really like the art, but was confused by the plot in some points. As it went on, it made more sense, but parts seemed to skip oddly (scenes having unclear/bad transitions, some events happening too quickly or oddly). I love the art and character designs, esp heathcliff and maps. Maps is mildly annoying but midly charming.

I guess more like 3.5, but I'm hitting 4 just because I liked it enough and would like to read more.
The Sapphic Nerd
Mar 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
A very good start to the series! The art is delightful, with great colours and a lovely style. I find myself staring at each panel carefully rather than just glancing. The writing is pretty good too, with one already impressive moment between Olive and Maps. I'm looking forward to reading what comes next.
Dae-Hyun
Oct 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, superhero
A strong start to a wonderful all-ages series! Looking forward to the next issue!

The characters are intriguing, the mysteries unfold with great suspense and the exposition is handled in a really natural way.

The art is beautiful as well. It has an animated movie feel, with the detail of Ghibli-esque backgrounds.

Bonus points for an appearance by Bruce Wayne.
Rosa
Oct 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, comicbook
Love the artwork, it's absolutely gorgeous and sets a spooky/gloomy tone. Maps is fun and Olive is interesting. This was almost all set up. Introduction of characters, giving us a view of the setting and some foreshadowing. Can't wait to see where it's going.
Dayla
Apr 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm not much of a DC reader, but I enjoyed this one. The art was great and it looks like this is going to turn into a great series. Mind you, I'm no expert (obviously), but I start had fun with this one!

Happy reading!
Sara
Feb 12, 2016 rated it liked it
I liked it! I took some stars away because the beginning was quite confusing. It took quite awhile to get the hang of the writing and illustrating style and to then understand who people were and what was happening. I'd like to read more though!
  • Gotham Academy #6
  • Ms. Marvel (2014-2015) #10
  • The Wicked + The Divine #13
  • Black Widow #6
  • All-New Hawkeye (2015) #2
  • Batgirl #35 (The New 52 Batgirl, #35)
  • 8House: Arclight #1

Gotham Academy (Single Issues) (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Gotham Academy #2