Start by marking “The Journey of Joseph Winter: A Christmas Fairy Tale” as Want to Read:
The Journey of Joseph Winter: A Christmas Fairy Tale

The Journey of Joseph Winter: A Christmas Fairy Tale

A Christmas fairy tale for all ages!

The Journey of Joseph Winter is a heartwarming holiday story in the tradition of It’s a Wonderful Life and A Miracle on 34th Street.

Joseph Winter is a good and gentle man, but he carries with him the pain and regret of a childhood mistake.

When a package mysteriously arrives on his doorstep, he is invited on a trek that defies logic.
Published November 1st 2014 by John Anthony (first published October 30th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Journey of Joseph Winter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Journey of Joseph Winter

Start your review of The Journey of Joseph Winter: A Christmas Fairy Tale
Mischenko
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story begins with Geraldine, an older woman who brings all of her family--children and grandchildren--together to share a story none of them have ever heard: the story of her brother, Joseph Winter.

“The mind of a child is one of the places all adults wish to exist again. Only there, surrounded by youthful innocence, do dreams never disappear.”

Joseph has been living his life with regret, missing out on all the possible joy in his life. As a child he said something to his mother that he's
Camie
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm an old softie for a Christmas tale. This is a heartwarming fairytale in the spirit of It's A Wonderful Life to remind one to recall beloved childhood memories, embrace what's good about our lives, and most of all to just enjoy the magical holiday spirit which surrounds us at Christmastime. 4 stars
Linda
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2020
A delightful fairy tale about one man's journey to the North Pole as he seeks his Christmas spirit.
Linda
Dec 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christmas
Joseph Winter has been guilt ridden for most of his life and miserable because of it. His mistake was in saying something horrendous to his mother. Something he could never take back. He felt guilty the moment he said it and now he takes that guilt out on others.

Years later Joseph finds a mysterious package on his doorstep that leads him on a path to redemption, at least in his own eyes. When Santa Claus shows him how to forgive himself Joseph learns a great deal about his life and his future.

Carla Harris
Oct 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Joseph's story is one that every house should have.

I read this little book in a day. It had to be one of THE BEST Christmas stories that I have in long while. Joseph meeting Timothy and Max will make your heart sing, and give you hope that people have good in them.
It is must read for the holidays.
Kristina Trawick
Nov 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Sweet story

Lovely story of a man finding himself on a journey to the north pole in search of St. Nick. I think would be a good read aloud story for parents to share with young children.
Emily
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
I went into this book looking for a cozy read and I got so much more! While the writing and characters tended to be simple, I was deeply touched by the story, the growth of the main character, and the life lessons the author shares through the characters. The amount of quotes I underlined in this book was 3 times that of larger books I have read — so much wisdom to be highlighted!

The world building at the end of the book was also delightful. I feel inspired to write my own Christmas related
Teri
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fills you with the magic of Christmas!

What a uniquely written story! Part “modern”, part flashback/ history/storytelling, elderly Geraldine brings all of her dear ones near to hear the story of her brother Joseph. Joseph was a bitter recluse who had forgotten all of the things that brought him joy. Then a stranger appears, inviting him on a mysterious journey, and Joseph reconnects with beautiful memories, intriguing people & magical places. Definitely worth the read, & is sure to have
Jaymi Couch
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very dear and sweet holiday story. I loved the message and the sentiment.

Geraldine is so excited for this particular Christmas. Her children and grandchildren have no idea their mom and grandma has a secret. She sits them down to tell them a story.

One of the best Christmas stories and one I’ll be rereading every year!
Linda Frost
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Meaning of Christmas Is in Our hearts!

A simple family story becomes a statement of what Christmas means. That meaning is found deep within each of us. Read the story of Joseph’s amazing journey, then take a look at Christmas through different eyes. It’s a great way to begin the Christmas season that takes you all the way through Christmas Day.
Veronica Gliatti
Nov 19, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked the book, very simple little story. Mid way through, it was losing my interest but I am glad I stuck with it. It was chosen for our book club so I felt I had to finish it. The last part, when it came together, made it all worth it. Wonderful message, well worth the read but not the best written story for the holidays I have ever read but a quick easy read with a wonderful theme!
Joann
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful Christmas Story

This book was a wonderful story of Christmas memories. I enjoyed Joe's tentative steps into his journey to find what he always wanted and what was already there.
Julie
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The spirit of the holidays

Such a sweet lil story about believing in the magic of Mr Claus and yourself, and a dash about forgiveness. I’m reading it in June but I’ll read it again closer to Christmas
Elyse Mcnulty
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this in an afternoon. I LOVED this fairytale story for Christmas. It will be a good one to reread every year. A great reminder to appreciate all you have and have had and to create your own story. Santa Claus is real?????
Mickey LW
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Christmas great story

This was a very heart warning Christmas story.. I've never read one quite like it and I know I never wi!!. A very unique tale of family, memories, and very magical. I felt like I was right there with the characters. Beautiful.
Mary Jo
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The human condition

I don’t ever recall giving a 5 Star rating. This is much more than a Fairytale. This is a perfectly thought out story of our humanity and where, why and how we fit in the order of it and how to find Peace with ourselves.
Kathryn Young
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute, but predictable

Think Hallmark Channel movie in a novella form, and you have this book. Very cute lessons I think we easily forget at times.
Suzanne Holdridge
Fun short story
Maureen
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun lighthearted Christmas novella that was still able to pull at the heartstrings! ...more
Cynthia Hilston
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A sweet story that dives into the importance of love, forgiveness, and family, a perfect read for the Christmas season or any time of year!
Janet Weidner
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delightful Christmas story.

Easy reading, but fascinating. Fantasy yet believable. Through the Christmas spirit in your heart you are able to see everything Joseph experienced.
Heather Merideth
Just right

I'm not having the best December. This book helped me to remember! It's short read that is well worth the time.
Donald Jay
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful novella that gives the reader both the opportunity and a reason to relive special Christmases of their past. A delightful journey, indeed.
Diane Swoboda
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nicely written, great little story! Thoroughly enjoyed reading it.
Donna G. Frew
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book!

Lately I have been slightly bored with the books I've been reading, but not this one! Very interesting, held my rapt attention all the way through, and left me wishing for more. It couldn't possibly have been written with more attention to detail, and heartwarming from the first paragraph. If you enjoy a very feel good story, with life lessons throughout, this is the book for you.
Judy
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a lovely story about a man seeking redemption by traveling to the North Pole seeking Santa Claus. Its not as goofy as that summary sounds! Definitely a feel-good story just right for the Christmas season. ...more
Jo-Marie Jo-Marie
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A Story of Wonder and Fun

Joseph Winter is the perfect Christmas fairy tale. It's filled with love and joy. It brings back fond memories and reminds me of love I received. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Linda Berg
Nov 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful! Magical!

I loved this magical story of the journey of Joseph Winter. It is a story of personal reflection and discovery, friendship, family, and believing in yourself. This is a book I want to read each year before Christmas.
Ann Glover
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful story

I would recommend this book to everyone. This book makes you feel good. A very wonderful story. A must read.
Christmas Books: Restore a bit of the Magic? It did! 1 2 Feb 14, 2020 01:43PM

• Nicholas
  • The Magical Christmas Do Over
  • This Book Is Gray
  • The Christmas Joy Ride
  • Christmas in Silver Bell Falls (Silver Bell Falls, #1)
  • Letters from Father Christmas
  • Winterwood
  • Ashyer
  • Mr. Dickens and His Carol
  • Canvey Island
  • The Noel Stranger (The Noel Collection, #2)
John Anthony is an author of Middle Grade, YA, and Family Fiction with good morals, traditional values, and (spoiler alert) happy endings.

He was born and raised in West Saint Paul, Minnesota, and grew up being tortured by three younger sisters. Raised with old-fashioned values, he likes to weave those through his stories. His sisters also instill the same morals and values in their children, and