Start by marking “What You Don't Know Now” as Want to Read:

What You Don't Know Now

It's the summer of 1967, and 18-year-old American Bridey McKenna is in Europe for the first time. It's supposed to be the ultimate mother-daughter vacation, but nothing about it is working out that way. Chances for adventure, romance and enlightenment look slim-to-none until Bridey arrives in Umbria and meets Alessandro - someone who could change everything about her futur ...more
Published September 29th 2014 by Merge Publishing (first published June 27th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about What You Don't Know Now, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What You Don't Know Now

Lynda Dickson
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Ages 17+
Shelves: new-adult
It's the summer of 1967, and Bridey McKenna is on the trip of a lifetime in Europe with her mother, aunt, and fourteen-year-old cousin. Bridey even gets to spend her eighteenth birthday in Venice. However, things aren't as idyllic as they should be - until a hairy bus ride through the Italian mountains lands them in Assisi. There, Bridey meets Alessandro, the charming singing waiter, and is swept off her feet. A detour to Greece brings a whole other adventure, and Bridey is forced to make the ha ...more
OutlawPoet
Jul 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Set against the backdrop of the turbulent 1960's, What You Don't Know Now is a novel about coming of age, sexual awakening, and a loss of innocence.

I read this with a certain wistfulness. I was sixteen when I took my first European vacation. Unlike Bridey, I wasn't traveling with my mother. Worse, I was with nuns. Yet, like Bridey, I managed to break away and even fall just a little bit in love with a handsome Italian - mine was a soldier.

I think that any woman would appreciate Bridey's journey
GlitterDyke
May 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Marci Diehl’s book, What You Don’t Know Now, was fun and enjoyable to read. The setting, mid-1960’s sifts through cultural and historical questions of the time.

Writing a review for it was a bit more complex for me because I had to think about the audience reading this book. The book isn’t quite suited for a young adult readership though the protagonist, 18 year old Bridey is coming of age and struggles with young adult challenges and some sexual circumstances. The struggle is especially signifi
Lorrie
Sep 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great coming of age story. Eighteen-year-old Bridey, her mother, her aunt and fourteen-year-old cousin visit Europe the summer before her first semester in college. The story takes place in 1967, a turbulent year in America and worldwide; this is alluded to throughout the story. Bridey meets Alessandro, a waiter and up-and-coming opera singer, in Assisi, Italy and falls in love. Bridey's first real taste of romantic love is emotional, as it is with most any girl her age, but this love ...more
scribes23
Jul 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-done, finished
Reawaken your sense of adventure! Have you ever read a book, that gave you the feeling of; packing your bags and just go where your feet will take you? What You Don't Know is definitely a book to read this summer.

ARC copy from publisher via Netgalley >
Catherine
Apr 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was very excited to read this book because I know the author, and was in possession of my personal autographed copy, super excited about that. I was very, very impressed with the story. Excellent story-telling. I felt involved in the lives of the characters from the beginning of the book. I don't mind that the conclusion was open-ended, because maybe Marci will revisit Bridey's story down the road. Personally hope she ends up with Alessandro. Great job, enjoyable story.
Don Stevens
Jul 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read by a good friend. Taking a trip to Europe as a teenage girl is just as exciting as you would think, and this book doesn't disappoint. Romance, mystery, and a strong cast of characters make this memorable.
Terry Mccagh
Sep 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read!
Julie Barrett
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What You Don't Know Now
Sounded like a good book from the summary, especially all the travel that I've yet to get to the places mentioned.
Venice, 18 and she's supposed to be happy. Bridey was part of the tour, 4 hour walking tour and some older ones couldn't keep up. Raised in Catholic all girl school and she's just graduated. She leaves the states with family members and other Pilgrims to visit the cities of Europe. Some plans don't go as expected...
Love part of the glass blowing as I've seen it
Catherine Delia
Jun 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this story. It hinted at bigger things happening in the world, but kept the focus on the main character. The descriptive language made me feel like I was there in Italy and Greece. Wouldn't it be cool if there was a modern day tour following Bridey's path.
Afnan
Nov 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I won this book from Goodreads Giveaways and at first I was hesitant to read it. Once I started reading it, I couldn't put it down. It made envy Bridey and wish I could pack my bags and hop on a plane to Europe!
Ma Denniston
Erika Ward
Rachel Hall
Debra Jeakins
Nov 18, 2014
Goodreads Librari...: Please add cover for an upcoming giveaway 3 21 Nov 15, 2014 10:22AM
  • A Different Me
  • Whispering Minds
  • Second to No One (Second Kiss, #2)
  • Antithesis
  • First Date (The Dating Games #1)
  • The Lotus Effect (Rise Of The Ardent, #1)
  • A Whisper From Eden
  • The Mark of Nimueh (The Adventures of Merlin Series 1, #3)
  • Edge of Falling (Falling #2)
  • Warrior (Tribesman Book 2)
  • Life Lessons for the Teenage Girl: Quotes, Inspiration and Advice for Women by Women
  • Start With Sorry
  • Drake's Comprehensive Compendium of Dragonology
  • Hallows Haven
  • Rogue Agents (Justin Hall, #5)
  • Rise of November
  • Trusted (Trusted, #1)
  • Lessons I Never Learned At Meadowbrook Academy
Marci Diehl has been a writer ever since she was the geek who got excited when her grammar school class had to write paragraphs for English. She won the English medal when they graduated and the awards kept coming. She once met (then Crown) Prince Hassan of Jordan. That was pretty cool and he was very nice -- although he was 20 & she was 17 and she was too involved in being cool to know how co ...more