Start by marking “Pack of Lies (The Twenty-Sided Sorceress #3)” as Want to Read:
Pack of Lies (The Twenty-Sided Sorceress #3)

Pack of Lies

(The Twenty-Sided Sorceress #3)

Let sleeping dogs lie. Wolves, on the other hand…

Recovering from a broken heart and coming to terms with her family history, all sorceress Jade Crow wants is to resume running her comic book store and gaming with her friends. With a town full of strange wolf shifters, a hundred-and-fifty-year-old peace accord hanging in the balance, and the Justice who broke her heart
Published October 13th 2014 by Doomed Muse Press

To ask other readers questions about Pack of Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pack of Lies

Start your review of Pack of Lies (The Twenty-Sided Sorceress #3)
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
A Let's Play Dice with the Slightly Awesome Crow Sorceress Buddy Read (LPDwtSACSBR) with the MacHalos of Mischief and Mayhem (aka M³)

And the moral of this reread is: Jade Crow, I lurves you more than a pig lurves not being bacon. Because you eat human hearts. Because you're not soft and squishy like puny humans. Because your boyfriend is a talking bulk Slightly Super Homicidally Hot and Hotly Homicidal Russian Tiger (SSHHaHHRT). And because spoiler spoiler spoiler reasons.

Oh yeah, that too.
Choko
*** 4 ***

Well, the third book in this series is even better than the second one, which in itself was an improvement on book one. Still on the short, novella side, but just long enough to have excitement and not get tedious. This time Jade the Sorceress gets some action on home field. The Alpha of Alphas of the Wolf Shifters has died and the rest of the alphas are in town to chose who is going to replace him and keep the negotiations of The Peace valid. However, it seems someone does not want the
Ian
Best of the three.
My original plan was to walk away after this one but it's good enough that I'll keep going.
But I'm already over the bad guy who is lurking in the background.
She needs to get a wiggle on. I'm not going to read 10 books and still have no progress on that sub-plot.
Ambrosia
Sep 05, 2016 rated it liked it
2.5 stars. These are not full books and are overpriced at $3.99. This one took a little over an hour to read.

If a book is like a movie, these installments are like a TV episode. It has a complete story, but it lacks depth and complexity.

And the heroine is a little too much. Too beautiful. Too instantly loved by the hero. Too powerful. Too unkillable. It gets too predictable and easy for her to prevail. There don't seem to be real consequences.

I bought the first 3 all at once. Or I would have
Charlton
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The Alpha in this territory has died.He kept the peace with all the other packs.Now it's time for a new leader among the packs,and with that inherent trouble.
And Jade Crow (Human Sorceress) is right in the middle.How she even gets involved,well it's in the book.

Probably the most fun book in this series so far because it dealt with werewolves.
Diana Stormblessed
So far my favorite in the series. 3.5 stars. I'm glad they're getting better. Have high expectations for the next one.
Elinor Master of Gifs
Twenty-Sided Sorceress BR with the MacHalos AND the FBR copycats ;p
It may very well be me but I found the pacing strange in this one. However I love Jade and her universe and I loved this book, had a great time reading it :)
Kayla
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was much better than the previous installment. I'm looking forward to reading book four as soon as I can get my hands on it.
Marguerite (M)
Rating : 4 stars

- Batman rules.
- Yummy-russian-tiger-give-him-to-me is back.
- The happy-stupid-go-lucky-backup-crew is still awesome.
- I still don't get most of Jade's jokes.
- The wolves are in da place and pretty much useless. Or psychotic killers with automatic guns.
- Jade is turning more ultra badass and she does not even need to breath.
- Did someone say dragon?
- She can't eat cupcakes anymore, I thought I would cry.
- Does she have any clean/unripped clothes anymore?

*whisper* See how my
Margaret Fisk
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Originally posted on Tales to Tide You Over
This is the third book in The Twenty-Sided Sorceress, and like the previous two, it provides both a self-contained story and progress on the overall series arc. This is something Annie Bellet does very well, making each one I’ve read so far satisfying to read as a standalone urban fantasy while raising interest in the bigger picture as well.

I have my sister to thank for reminding me of the books I’d already purchased (she reviewed a different Annie
JoEllen
Okay, these books are short, but they're mighty. The characters are interesting, the twists are intriguing, the storytelling is smooth, and the writing is not annoying. The next in the series is due out December 9, 2014. That's a little more than three weeks away. I am looking forward to what trouble Jade and her friends will find next.
Claudia
Jul 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
This was definitely the best book in this series so far. here we have not only a real good plot and a lot of action but also a real depth to the relationships and the characters.

I think this series really has potential. I like how things are at the moment though
Anthea
Jul 12, 2017 rated it liked it
The stories are developing really well, and I'm quite into it now.
Riotkittin
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Why are they so short?! Please Annie, write longer books!
Derek
Apr 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
See my review of the omnibus: The Twenty-Sided Sorceress Series, Books 1-3 ...more
Patrick
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Though the difference isn't as drastic as it is from book 1 to 2, this book is a big improvement from the previous installments in the series. The mystery plot actually sounds like an intriguing hook with a murder that has several unexplained oddities to it and a personal tie to Jade and Alek. The prose is much improved from the previous books as well. The jokes still aren't too funny, but at least it's not quite as annoying with overbearing contrived nerdy references. The romance element is ...more
Lara
Sep 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: z-2016
This book should definitely be read in order. It starts a few months after the second book ended. The alpha wolf of alpha wolves has died and a shifter has gone missing. Jade is asked to help find her and it turns out a lot more is going on than a gathering of alpha wolves. At the same time, Jade comes under personal attack and this puts her friends in danger. She feels guilty about that and yet her friends won't let her avoid them for their safety. It turns out this is just as well as they are ...more
Kelly
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I guess the problem with falling for a guy who metes out justice for a living is that you never know if he's disappeared because he was called away on a job or because of something you did. In Jade's case, she was blaming herself for what happened up on the reservation and she pulled away from everyone for a while after. While Harper and her other friends have managed to pull her back into the world of the living, Alek hasn't been seen or heard from in a month.

Until he walks through Jade's door
Shera (Book Whispers)
There's this huge thing that annoys me in Urban Fantasy books, especially PNR. What is it? When the lead and the love interest have more relationship happening off the pages. Such as Mercy and Adam from the Mercy Thompson series. They had ten years to know each other prior to the start of the series, so for me it meant I wasn't involved in their romance. Briggs had to bring it now, during the current timeline. Not just saying they had all this history. Well The Twenty-Sided Sorceress series is ...more
Marianne Boutet
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: series
This is not stand-alone; please read the series in order. That being said, also prepare to not be able to put the book down once started. A lot happens fairly quickly. Also, some of the things I didn't like in the previous book were addressed: either explained, brushed off, put aside, and/or resolved. AND, we get a peek or two at the bad guy! On to the next entry!
Elusive
Aug 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy, magic
Awesome really loved it action packed story driven and character build all in one book. I was very surprised with how good this book was compared to the previous one. It had everything I hadn't expected and sort of blew my mind a little. Since I had extremely low expectations on this series I was very happy about the turn around.
James
May 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
The story continues the d20 sorceress, these are consistent stories that are connected one to another. I truly enjoy this series as an old game player things just feel familiar. If you have played D & D as I did I believe you might rnjoy this whole series.
Sandra
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: supernatural
Very enjoyable. I will keep reading the series when I get a chance.
Maraya21 (The Reading Dragon)
4.5 Stars

You know the drill: RTC!

*sigh*
Heather Rainwater-Alvarado
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
After reading the first and second book in this Twenty Sided Sorceress series, it's clear that there is potential in the new world Bellet has created. Unfortunately by now your expectation is for there to be graphic language, bombardment of gamer references, and book three maintain's the reader's expectations for major gaps in the story and editing. The main issue that bothered me was I began to notice how the main character's boyfriend, Alek's accent is finally coming through the text in the ...more
Megan Miller
Feb 04, 2019 rated it liked it
I listened to this on Audiobook so Wulf vs Wolf was confusing to me. Considering Wulf had just died, there were a few alarming moments involved. Also, a wolf shifter named Wulf is a bit on the nose.

Maybe I'm just not into the local color, but it seems like this book was a major backslide from the last one. Also I'm not so into the hot and cold relationship between the protagonist and her lover, Alek.

We're on book 3 and I still don't feel like I know Harper well enough to really care what happens
Gypsy Madden
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This adventure was okay. It didn’t make me hate Jade (at least not as much as the last book. Admittedly, I was disliking how she had reached the point of jumping to killing first.), but on the other hand it felt like just yet another wolf-shifter book without really anything special to make it stand out from the pack. Sadly my opinion of Jade carried over from the previous book as in I was still mad at her for leading her Justice boyfriend in the wrong direction deliberately twice and getting ...more
Chris Bauer
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
A friend of mine recommended this series to me. It was low on my radar for a while but when I heard there was $0 offer for the first 3 books on Amazon, I jumped at it. And have zero regrets, except that I'm now hopelessly addicted to yet another series. : )

Plot: Moves at an almost perfect pace. Proper pace of tension, release, escalation, tension and release.
Characters: Vivid, flawed and interesting. I'd not go so far as to say unique, as I feel as though I've met these characters in other
Beth Oliver
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Let sleeping dogs lie. Wolves on the other hand...

Pack of Lies.
Which is a great theme for this book.

In the mist of trying to get back in the swing of things, the town's Pack Alpha and Alpha of Alphas was died, putting at one hundred and fifty years peace accord in a jumble.
Tall, Blonde and does not call shows up.
Then the bodies start piling up.

I think Jade is an AWESOME Character.
Just about everything about her is great, except the whole putting herself in shitty situations alone.

I Hated
Lisa
Jun 14, 2017 rated it liked it
So this is the longest of the three books in the series I've read so far. However, there was a pretty big end of an arc in the middle of the book so it felt more like the author tacked together two books instead of writing one long one. I really wanted to be more excited about this series. The main character is not only Native American but older and a gamer geek. You barely see the Native American elements (totally diluted by adding in cult elements). She doesn't act her age. And I like the ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Shadow Hunter (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #1)
  • Night Stalker (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #2)
  • MAX ABADDON AND THE WILL: A MAX ABADDON NOVEL
  • How to Kiss an Undead Bride: The Epilogues (The Beginner's Guide to Necromancy, #7)
  • Circle of the Moon (Soulwood, #4)
  • Styx & Stoned (Grim Reality, #2)
  • Dark Dancer (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #3)
  • Sweep with Me (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4.5)
  • Just Like Magic (Discord Jones #6.5)
  • Sweep of the Blade (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4)
  • How to Dance an Undead Waltz (Beginner's Guide to Necromancy, #4)
  • How to Live an Undead Lie (Beginner's Guide to Necromancy, #5)
  • Hurricane (Hive Mind, #3)
  • Oath Sworn (Jacky Leon #1)
  • Shattered Bonds (Jane Yellowrock, #13)
  • Wicked Wings (Lizzie Grace, #5)
  • Frost & Bothered (Discord Jones #4)
  • How to Wake an Undead City (The Beginner's Guide to Necromancy, #6)
Annie Bellet is a full-time speculative fiction writer. She holds a BA in English and a BA in Medieval Studies and thus can speak a smattering of useful languages such as Anglo-Saxon and Medieval Welsh.

Her books include Avarice (Pyrrh Considerable Crimes Division: Book 1), The Gryphonpike Chronicles series, and the Twenty-Sided Sorceress series.

Her interests besides writing include rock climbing,

The Twenty-Sided Sorceress (10 books)
  • Justice Calling (The Twenty-Sided Sorceress, #1)
  • Murder of Crows (The Twenty-Sided Sorceress, #2)
  • Hunting Season (The Twenty-Sided Sorceress, #4)
  • Heartache (The Twenty-Sided Sorceress #5)
  • Thicker Than Blood (The Twenty-Sided Sorceress #6)
  • Magic to the Bone (The Twenty-Sided Sorceress, #7)
  • Dungeon Crawl (The Twenty-Sided Sorceress, #8)
  • River of No Return (The Twenty-Sided Sorceress #9)
  • Balancing the Scales (The Twenty-Sided Sorceress, #10)
“I’m a professional gamer. And a woman. You know what that’s like? I get told I’m gonna get raped, that I’m ruining the game, that I should go back to playing with Barbies, that my hair is too masculine or that my boobs are too big or small or whatever, and all kinds of stupid shit. All the time. It sucks. But I don’t let it break me and I don’t let it stop me from doing what I love, from being who I am.” 4 likes
“You did what you felt was right, for you, for that moment,” he said. “There is no shame in that. Learn from it, from these doubts and feelings and fears. Next time, make a different decision. Just remember to always decide. Inaction is death.” 2 likes