Start by marking “Capable Cruiser” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Capable Cruiser

Lin Pardey

Capable Cruiser

A Dolphin Book Club "Main Selection, " The Capable Cruiser illustrates how successful cruising is the result of a combination of factors including a homogeneous crew, proper preparation, solid gear, regular maintenance and exemplary seamanship. This book is the sequel to The Self Sufficient Sailor. This is indeed the global bible of cruising sailors.
Unknown Binding, 3rd Edition
Published (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Capable Cruiser, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Capable Cruiser

Ben Starling
Apr 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ocean-books
Okay. I love the Pardeys, I’m a big fan. I zipped right through another book in this ‘series’ by Lin Pardey.

Their philosophy of simplicity and downsizing spoke to my furry heart. It had large sections that could be described as ‘introduction to lifestyle’ themed. So these sections were often not so tough to get through.

Capable Cruiser is dense – and that’s good. Have to admit though that I pushed myself at times to get through Capable Cruiser. It’s focus leans more towards seamanship, anchoring
Numidica
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really love the Pardeys. They are a legend in the sailing / cruising community. They are good natured, immensely knowledgeable but not full of themselves - just truly accomplished mariners. Some of the chapters in this book are dated, such as the one about hand-bearing compasses and compass adjustment (just try to find a compass adjuster these days), but many parts are as valid today as when they were written. I will refer in future to the chapters on installing a new caprail on the toerail, e ...more
Austin Collins
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lin & Larry have for many years been the champions and standard-bearers of a certain sub-set within the circumnavigator community: those who do it in smaller, simpler, less costly boats. Their famous exhortation to "go small, go now" has been the motto and rallying cry of more than one generation of eager sailors. Why wait until you're rich? There is never a Perfect Time and there is no such thing as Enough Money, so Lin & Larry have become passionate advocates of Finding a Way. Not ever ...more
Cian Clarke
More historical snapshot than relevant modern strategy, so less interesting for me than "Cruising With"
Jeff
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lots of Great Info

This book is full of excellent information, even for someone that is only aspiring to become a sailor. Why learn the hard way when you can learn from others.
james haughey
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
cracke

Best of their books I think. You get real world advice and its also a fun read. Part of the boat's collection for a rainy day for guests or others.
Chris
Aug 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating and eminently applicable look at the cruising lifestyle packed full of advice on many aspects of the crusing life.
Steve Bitner
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-a-copy
So much useful info. This was a good read and will be an invaluable reference.
Jeff Ragan
Nov 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just finished my second reading! (4/25/11) Informative for the serious planner of sailing adventures. Fun for the casual reader because of all of the personal anecdotes shared along the way.
Gregory Mayflower
Oct 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: boating
As usual, the Lin Pardey has written a very useful guide for anyone cruising in a sailboat, or getting ready to take the plunge.
Joe
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If your considering 'live aboard' anything by the Pardey's is a must read.
Philski
Oct 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Glossed over the last few chapters which were way over my head (I haven't sailed yet) but a very good read I will revisit in a few years, hopefully after I have some experience :)
Robert Cucinotta
Dec 28, 2014
Jeni
Mar 14, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Lin Pardey (aka Mary Lin Pardey) is famous internationally for her expertise and experience in small boat sailing. Together with her husband Larry Pardey she has been sailing and writing for many years.

Lin's (& Larry's) sailing records speak for themselves:
Smallest boat to have circumnavigated contrary to the prevailing winds around all the great southern capes

Only couple to have circumnavigat