Start by marking “Chased by Fire (The Cloud Warrior Saga, #1)” as Want to Read:
Chased by Fire (The Cloud Warrior Saga, #1)

Chased by Fire

(The Cloud Warrior Saga #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  2,130 ratings  ·  116 reviews
An ancient artifact that must be found... Terrifying creatures from dark and dangerous Incendin... And long-forgotten elementals again unleashed on the world. As an earth senser, Tan is tasked with helping guide the king's servant through the dangerous mountain passes in search for the artifact before Incendin can reach it first. But after losing his father to the war, Tan ...more
Published September 29th 2014 by ASH Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Chased by Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chased by Fire

really liked it 4.00  ·

Belinda
English ebook - first book in the trilogy. - I have dyslexia-
The sudden howl sent a shiver through Tan. The terrible sound echoed several times during the day, and each time he reacted the same. He checked his bow reflexively, feeling the reassuring weight of the wood. Whatever was out there didn't belong in this forest. -
Tan had a father who was an earth sencer. He died. Little did he know his mother was a shaper. He finds out when Roine comes to the village and askes him to lead him across the
Ryan Mueller
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I really enjoyed this one. It's pretty simple as far as fantasy goes, but I guess it hearkened back to an era when fantasy was about fun adventures. I don't want to read this kind fo story all the time, but it's nice to read them occasionally. It's refreshing in a way.

Holmberg is generally a competent writer. I noticed a few editing issues/typos in the book, but they never distracted me enough to be a problem.

The biggest thing that made the book work for me was the action that started about a th
Bill Tillman
Chased by Fire

A powerful first book in a trilogy of magic, earth, wind, water, air and spirit. A young man Tan and woman Amia face obstacles beyond imagination. With the help of others such as Roine the agent of the king, and the humid water elemental they find a way to reach their first goal a relic from a golden age of Cloud Warriors.
Lee Dunning
Oct 05, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a decent, quick read. I think it must have been reedited since some of the other reviews I see here, since I only ran across 2-3 wonky issues. Tan is a likable character, confused about what he really wants to do in life, and very much dedicated to the memory of his dead father. There is a handful of supporting characters, mostly likable. The female love interest is just as capable as Tan, though I did get tired of reading about her soft hand, her soft face, her soft this and that. As m ...more
Eric Evans
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sometimes the best fantasy novels are the simple ones. This one doesn't get very complex and wander off the story. You have a quest, a pretty good magic system, a young boy coming of age, and some pretty bad ass villains. What more could you ask for. The story was great, and I'll be buying book two soon.
AndyS
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, dnf

Middle Grade Fiction

Chased by Fire (The Cloud Warrior Saga, #1) by D.K. Holmberg

More of a middle-grade fantasy than a YA one. Characters are 17-20 years old yet sound and behave like 10-13-year-olds. The beginning was very confusing because the main character doesn't know squat about anything and the author dutifully maintains an unnecessary shroud of mystery over the main plot while overly explaining nonessential plot devices in his narrative.

The central plot (or at least what I believed to be the central plot thread) revolves around Tam, the protag, o
Jackie
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Looking for an artifact is proving to be more difficult than it looks. What a superb fantasy to keep your interest.
Pickyreader
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!!!

This was a great start to an epic story. Loved it so much I bought it even though it is a kindle unlimited book. DK Homberg deserves it. He spins a great tale. I am excited to begin the next in the series.
Zurlo Enrico
Sep 07, 2015 rated it did not like it
I expected much better from this book but I had to find much of the stuff which makes a story irritating to me.

For example I hate when for the whole duration of the book the main characters needs to run and run and run. Already at the beginning of the book they were so tired that they could hardly walk anymore but somehow they keep going and going.
Also I don't like the fact that of course the bad guys are always faster and just about to reach them.

Another bad thing is that the storyline is too c
Rebecca  C. Cardenas
Aug 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have absolutely loved the Cloud Warrior Saga, the imagination of the entire series held my attention. It was great to just dive right into the story and get lost, in a very good way. That being said I move on to my thoughts on this series editing.
Some of my ratings on these books were four stars instead of the five stars it would have deserved, I will give you a few of the reasons why I think this. The first is editing errors, whomever the "EDITOR" is needs to actually read the books. My nex
Stephen
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As an earth senser, Tan is tasked with helping guide the king's servant through the dangerous mountain passes in search for the artifact before Incendin can reach it first. But after losing his father to the war, Tan wants nothing to do with the king's demands. When everything he knows is lost, he is forced to risk himself to save the one
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Magic & Mayhem Anthology

Tan is an Earth Sensor, which means he can gain information from sensing what is around him. There are also Shapers who can manipulate what is around them to fit their needs. Roine, a shaper from the king, comes in search of an ancient artifact. Tan accompanies him at his mother's request but soon finds that not only are there more people after the artifact but that he really doesn't know much about the world outside his village.

This was a great fantasy story. People
Jack Murphy
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
I certainly enjoyed this fast paced and well crafted first book in the Cloud Warrior series. As an earth senser, Tan's tasked with helping guide the king's servant through the dangerous mountain passes in search for "the artifact" before Incendin can reach it first. But after losing his father to the war, Tan wants nothing to do with the king's demands. When everything he knows is lost, he's forced to risk himself to save the one person who can find the artifact, a beautiful girl who has lost ju ...more
C.L.
Oct 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
A unique fantasy tale

Holmberg has created an interesting world where a seeming-simple boy, Tan, has grown to hunt and enjoy the land. His abilities to "sense" his surroundings, however, are much more than what readers may imagine them to be. A unique story that includes the elements of wind, earth, water and fire in a combination unlike anything else is sure to keep fantasy lovers enthralled. I couldn't help but keep reading with few breaks. A quick, exciting read full of just the right amount
Jane
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book and story

As a book lover, I read many genres. This book captured my interest right away and offers glimpses of Tan's potential. D.K. Holmberg keeps a fast pace without giving away too much, so while I can guess, I'm still looking forward to the next book. Although there aren't any actual dragons, this book has a similar feel to Anne McCaffrey stories. You get attached to the characters, there's a sense of the history behind the world, and there are plenty of good and bad guys with
Liza
Apr 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
The story starts off immediately with the main character Tannen of the Kingdoms. The Kingdoms have those within them with gifts of Sensing and Shaping of the elements; earth, wind, water, and fire. Tanner is one with a gift and is immediately thrust into an adventure that in some ways is a continuation of his parents lives and services to their king. There is a blossoming of a love interest as the story begins and a posibility of so much more. The characters are well written and have rich histor ...more
Tera Jade
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Read in one day.

I loved most things about this book. The story starts off a little slow but accelerates at a great pace to leave your heart racing. Push yourself past the first few chapters and you will be hooked.

I read the entirety of this book in one day. The female protagonist was my favorite character by far but I did have a hard time pinning down her personality. I don't know how long the book took to write but she changes a bit heavily from the beginning to the end. Trauma maybe? Either wa
Mark Maynard
Oct 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the first book in the series and found the characters to be quite well written. the book doesn't move at the fastest pace but i find that most first books don't as they are trying to paint a picture of the world and its characters. nevertheless i was never bored and still finished the book in a couple of days.
I will definitely be reading the next book and look forward to finding out what happenss
Bill Johnston
Sep 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a good series to read for any age. It does follow the classic fantasy formula of "a regular kid who is really X" but is not completely in the type of traps that make us all crazy.It is easy to get caught up in the story flow. I have just completed book 3 on the series and will continue reading.
Why not 5 stars, then? It was good and entertaining, but did not "wow" me with complexity -- and that is fine.
Kristobelle
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
A comfortable, yet engaging fantasy!

This is a really comfortable fantasy, nestled right into the old school of the genre. However, that doesn't make it less engaging, exciting and full of wonder.
It was an extremely enjoyable romp, with an interesting magic system, nice characterisation, and some fantastic elemental type beasties I hope we'll meet more of...
I look forward to book #2!
Lindsey
May 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Captivating story

While the book had its downs: a few typos and some passages of stilted dialogue that seemed redundant, I was so captivated by the magic of the story and the non-stop action that I read the book in one sitting. A very fun, action-packed read for any fan of the genre. Looking forward to book 2!
Nikki
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A great adventure read. Lots of danger and intrigue. Although I was never really worried about the main characters. This is one of those books where a map of this made up world would be helpful. Tan is a likeable untrained hero. Watching him catch up to what the reader can guess about his abilities is fun.
Preeti
Apr 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is like one long roller coaster ride. Once you start reading you cannot stop until you have finished. The characters lack depth and most of the time the focus is on what is happening around and not on what the characters are thinking about their situation but apart from that the intriguing magic system and the fast pace of the story makes it worth your time.
Happy Reading.
Janet L. Hage
Jan 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Elemental action thriller

Written in another realm where the kings subjects practice elemental magic. The magic is getting weak and the neighboring country is about to destroy them all. Two youngsters with plausible gifts head out with a knight to save the world. Action packed, great characterization and plot line. Great young teen. No sex but violence.
Paco De la Peña
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Carlos
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
excellent book ,like an avid reader I usually read a lot of novels especially epic fantasy novels, this book took my attention because of the way then principal character develop throughout the series and how he take all the responsibility and deal with it, love all the characters and sense of adventure the book gives to you
Sonja
Jan 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book and will definitely be getting the sequels. Have you ever been watching a movie and you find yourself telling he characters not to do something or calling them an idiot because they can't see something that is so obvious to you? Yeah, this book is like that. Read it.
Nov 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. I read a sample first to see if I would enjoy it. It was so good I bought the book straight after reading the sample and couldn't put it down. So good I read it again before reading the second one a few months later. Definitely worth it for a fantasy fan.
Deborah Melendy
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I hoped for more chapters

Great epic tail well worth reading Lots of interesting villains great hero's and some your not sure who's side they are on will look forward to reading more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• A Girl and Her Monster (Rune Breaker, #1)
  • Bastial Steel (The Rhythm of Rivalry, #2)
  • Shooting Stars (Surah Stormsong, #1)
  • Nature Mage (Nature Mage, #1)
  • Return of the Dragon Riders (Dragon Stone Saga #2)
  • The Arcadia Falls Chronicles Omnibus (Arcadia Falls #1-6)
  • Whom the Gods Love (God & Mortals, #1)
  • The Finding (The Legend of Oescienne, #1)
  • A Facet for the Gem (The Tale of Eaglefriend #1)
  • Centaur of the Crime (Fantasy & Forensics #1)
  • Paladin's Fall (Kingdom's Forge, #2)
  • Protector of the Grove (The Bowl of Souls, #7 / Jharro Grove Saga, #2)
  • Sacrifice (The Trysmoon Saga, #4)
  • The Call of the Crown (The Dragon Oracles, #1)
  • Guardian's Rise (The Sons of Masguard, #2)
  • The High King (Tales of Alus #1)
  • Miss Landon and Aubranael (Tales of Aylfenhame #1)
  • Dragon Isle (The Legend of Vanx Malic, #2)

The Cloud Warrior Saga (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Bound by Fire (The Cloud Warrior Saga, #2)
  • Changed by Fire (The Cloud Warrior Saga, #3)
  • Fortress of Fire (The Cloud Warrior Saga, #4)
  • Forged in Fire (The Cloud Warrior Saga, #5)
  • Serpent of Fire (The Cloud Warrior Saga, #6)
  • Servant of Fire (The Cloud Warrior Saga, #7)
  • Born of Fire (The Cloud Warrior Saga, #8)
  • Broken of Fire (The Cloud Warrior Saga, #9)
  • Light of Fire (The Cloud Warrior Saga #10)
  • Cycle of Fire (The Cloud Warrior Saga, #11)
“It appears we are not welcome in Nor,” she said carefully. “Rather, we are welcome near Nor.” 0 likes
“Lins never forgave Tan for the insult, ignoring the beating that had been the impetus for Tan’s grumbling. Now Lins and his ever-present friends Rapen and Niles used every opportunity to pick on or humiliate Tan. Usually Tan had the presence of mind to steer clear of the lord’s son, but occasionally he could not be avoided. He closed his eyes, wondering what humiliation Lins would think to bestow upon him tonight, and worse, in the presence of Amia.” 0 likes