Start by marking “Stay With Me” as Want to Read:
Stay With Me

Stay With Me

Logan Woods just survived an attempted murder. Maybe. Left for dead in the sketchiest part of town, Logan has no idea how much time he has left. But through this disaster forms an unlikely friendship that might be worth living for.
Published October 18th 2014 by Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about Stay With Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stay With Me

Pearl Angeli
Jan 14, 2016 rated it liked it
If there's a story that will keep me glued to the pages from the beginning up to the end, it's Stay With Me by Kira Hawke. This short story is beautifully told, a gripping combination of terror, trauma, and vulnerability felt by the main character, Logan Woods, who is terrified of death. I find Logan's narrative and everything in this story completely immersing and heart-wrenching that the impact it has on me is so strong. Everything in this story is melancholy, with a romance doomed to fail and ...more
Mirjam
Feb 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?????

No, no, no!! Kira Hawke, just finished the story!!! Come on!!! This is not OK!!!
I am soooo distressed. F@#k!!!
Moony Eliver
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Moony by: Xia Xia Lake
😫 So vivid, so painful. Really, really good writing... made my eyes leak. Which I consider a major accomplishment in 11 pages.
Karen
Jul 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: four-star-reads
This was one of the most interesting short stories I've ever read. It was about a dying young man who finds love in a most unlikely place and at a most unlikely time.
(A short kindle freebie with some great reviews)
Leisha
Rating overview
Writing: ★★★★★
Story: ★★★★★
Characters: ★★★★★

Overall: ★★★★★ (5)

~~~

You know when you hear of a book being hyped and everyone says 'I didn't understand until I read it'? Well by everything that is holy to me, this just took my breath away and that doesn't happen very often and I certainly didn't think it would happen in 10 pages.

Yes, it is *that* brilliant.

The writing is poetic, the story is gripping, the feels... oh the feels... they are so real!

Definitely an author to watch!
Skye Blue ☆*~゚ლ(´ڡ`ლ)~*☆
WTF! WTF!

I'm gonna have to watch for this author in the future. 11 pages, sure got a reaction out of me. I think I'm a little afraid, of what the author could do to me with a full length novel....I might need therapy afterwards. But I'm willing to find out.

Sanet
Not what I expected - this will be a new author to watch ... very very very carefully.

Don't think I have ever given a 5 star to a such a short story.

All I can say is.... you must read it!!!!
Trisha Harrington
I hope the author decides to write a sequel for this because it was awesome! Not for everyone because of the ending, but I definitely enjoyed it.

Tehuti88
Nov 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, glbt, ebooks
I haven't had the chance to review the vast majority of the Kindle freebies I've downloaded over the past year, mainly because I haven't had the chance to even read them. And even with the few I've read, I often don't feel the drive to leave a comment. This story has been an exception.

My interest was piqued seeing it was not only in the GLBT category (a favorite of mine), but that it was also a quick read. I checked the preview and it intrigued me enough that I wanted to at least glance at the s
KitReads (a.k.a. nd)
Wow. Just. Wow.

This short story was 11 pages long, and this author had me right there with Logan. I was hooked from page one and I want more!

Kira Hawke is a new to me author, and I'll be looking for more from her.

I knew going in that this was a short story, and it was just what I needed for a reading challenge I was involoved in. What I didn't expect was how *much* this author could pack into those 11 pages. She actually pulled me right into visualizing every aspect of the characters, the surrou
Bee
Quite The Novel Idea ~ Words from the Clouds

*squints eyes* Hmm... I see what you did there, Kira.

So this is short. It's very short. And reviewing short things like this is very tricky. Because usually I don't have many thoughts about short things. Not enough to make a complete post out of it. And I probably don't have that for this one either, but I do have thoughts to get out so we'll see how far we get.

Kira approached me on Twitter, asking if I wanted to check out this short of hers because s
Gabriella (Gabi)
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbt
I don't know why I keep reading short stories, since clearly I don't like them. This scene was great, amazing even, but I wanted to know what happened before, and I wanted it to HAVE an after. I understand that not every story gets to have a HEA, and that's all well and good, but not for me. But other than that I liked it. :)
I didn't cry this time, but my breath got stuck in my lungs and I gave out a little sob at the end. ;<
Amy Spector
Dec 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was kind of beautiful.

I have a weakness for first person, and this flash fiction does first person well.

Wonderful, slow reveal and amazingly, characters and a story that has you longing for more in ten short pages.

I've already written my ending. I have a weakness for an HEA.
Xia Xia Lake
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Xia Xia by: Gabriella (Gabi)
Shelves: short-story, lgbt, dark
This short story had everything I love in a oneshot: dark, tragic, and packed full of emotions. I love oneshots, the darker the better, and if in 11 pages they manage to pull the emotional punch to the gut, they get a 5 stars from me.

You can feel Logan's loneliness, you can feel the tragedy of his death... a young man who had never been kissed, never been loved, never been given the chance to come out of the closet
I’d never been kissed. I never even came out of the closet—not that people could
Alexa
Warning for rape mention in the story.

Damnit.

This is a very short read, and it ends abruptly - although I suppose that is the point. Still, even these few pages are enough to get you attached to the characters, and I really wished the story had a happy ending.

At least it ends abruptly enough that I can still pretend everything is alright. I wish I could read more about these two boys.
K.
Oct 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: glbt
Logan is easy to empathize with. His thoughts are clear and cohesive—all things considered. This is a love at first sight story that left me convinced, and that had nothing to do with the ending. I won't give anything away here. It's short (2.6k words), it's free (FREE), and I highly recommend you go ahead and read it for yourself.

What I will tell you is this:

Yes, this story made me cry. The pacing was well-done. The mood was right. The flow as plausible and believable as fiction can be. I held
Kira Hawke
Jul 04, 2015 marked it as my-writing  ·  (Review from the author)

PLAYLIST
-[Here With Me] by Susie Suh x Robot Koch
-[Saturn] by Sleeping at Last

CONTENT WARNING: (view spoiler)

So I wrote this story and stuff. Stay With Me was intended as an art project of sorts; to give both you and I a feel for my style. It’s intentionally short because it can get pretty dark and I only want to torture readers so much. But hey, it’s free! Hope you enjoy.

A special thanks to all readers and anyone interested in picking it up. Also, I’m sorry.
Mitsy
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-story
Excellent short story about a dying young man. The ending! I love the ending.

4.5 stars because this should have been a full length novel - with the same ending. :)

Yes, I excitedly await more novels from Kira Hawke. :)
Aya
Jan 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Aya by: Sanet
"It slowly drained away, like trying to cup water in your hands only to have it leak through the gaps bit by bit."

If only I could immortalise this moment.
Miri
Jul 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
The ending!!!' Noooooo!! Hopefully this becomes a full novel.
Diana
Nov 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
The author needs to make this into a full novel. The writing is good and it grabs you from the start.
Katrina Passick Lumsden
Has potential to lead into something great. I want more story.
Averin
Nov 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm-romance
Well written, but I'm no fan of pulling the rug out from under the reader tales.
Dreamer80
May 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved this story. So emotional and strong. Please, tell me there is the complete story somewhere!!
Rebecca King
Aug 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Stay With Me is a short story written by author Kira Hawke. This short story is one moment in time told through the main character, Logan’s point of view. It tells the story of Logan’s initial survival of a brutal attack and his dying moments as his rescuer tries to save him and the ever-present knowledge that those sirens in the background are coming to save him, but will they make it in time?

I’m a very emotional reader. I have to feel an emotional connection to a character or it throws the wh
Pablito
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This short shows the writer has a natural sense of rhythm. The whole piece flows. It will take your breath away.
Arabicbeauty *BookBabe*
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
A beautiful short story.
mw138
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a VERY quick read; however, Kira Hawke manages to portray such strong feelings that I immediately felt emotionally invested in the main character. I'm afraid to say more because I don't want to give anything away. Just know that this short story will probably stay with you for a little while. Like so many others, I wish that Stay with Me was longer and that I could have gotten to know the main character better, but it was nice to know him for a little while.

For more m/m romance reviews,
Celestino
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites-2017
Who clings this tightly to someone they just met? Who could possibly be that lonely?

Do not remember how I found this, but it is a short story. I read it twice. First I though "Three stars?" Mostly cuz the beginning confused me. As the story progressed I understood what was going on and on my second read I was like "Five stars, hands down." One of the saddest short stories I've ever read but so impactful. I just so wish this was developed into a full novel. I need to know more about the nameless
Pixie
Oct 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• A Life For Nicholas (The Nicholas Chronicles)
  • The One for Me
  • A Taste of Midnight
  • Like the Taste of Summer
  • If It Ain't Love
  • Cry Wolf (Monster Farm Saga #1) (New Gotham Fairy Tale)
  • In The Moonlight (Howling Moonlight #1)
  • Back-Up
  • Billie Jean
  • Bring Him Home
  • Boo! (Beauty And The Bookworm, #2)
  • Promised Valley Rebellion
  • Unlawful (Freedom, #1)
  • Things I'll Never Say
  • Cover Me Boxed Set: The Complete Trilogy
  • Why the Star Stands Still (Gives Light, #4)
  • Fortunate Soul (Soul Reader, #3)
  • Birthday Burglar
Kira Hawke is a designer and a YA LGBTQ+ author. Bookworm. Coffee addict. Nerd. INFP / INTJ. Uses they/them pronouns.