Start by marking “Paperweight” as Want to Read:
Paperweight

Paperweight

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  7,190 ratings  ·  1,067 reviews
Seventeen-year-old Stevie is trapped. In her life. And now in an eating-disorder treatment center on the dusty outskirts of the New Mexico desert.

Life in the center is regimented and intrusive, a nightmare come true. Nurses and therapists watch Stevie at mealtime, accompany her to the bathroom, and challenge her to eat the foods she’s worked so hard to avoid.

Her dad has si
Published July 7th 2015 by HarperTeen (first published July 2nd 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Paperweight, please sign up.
Meg Haston Hi Cindy! Absolutely. You are welcome to reach out via my Facebook author page, and I will respond as soon as I'm able!

Best,

Meg
Moumita I believe she was queer, if not gay. I do not think that Josh's actions were homophobic - remember that he liked Eden, as well. I think that he was…moreI believe she was queer, if not gay. I do not think that Josh's actions were homophobic - remember that he liked Eden, as well. I think that he was upset because he liked Eden, and he found them kissing after he told Stevie that. I do not think his actions were out of homophobia. (less)

·  7,190 ratings  ·  1,067 reviews

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Actual rating: 3.5

This book was good. I have very few complaints. The main character was believable. The author's depiction of anorexia nervosa was realistic and clearly well-researched, with a great deal of sensitivity to the illness. For me, the reason for a 3 is just that it didn't click with me emotionally. It's just a matter of book chemistry, with no disrespect to the book.

This book is about a young woman who is committed to a treatment facility because she suffers from anorexia nervosa. A
Thomas
I have written and rewritten this sentence five times. As an eating disorder survivor and as an aspiring psychologist, I should have all the words to talk about Paperweight, a novel about a seventeen-year-old girl living in an inpatient eating disorder facility. But even after six hours away from the story, I still find myself tearing up just thinking about it. Paperweight acts as a searing account of mental illness and the strength it takes to embark on recovery.

In twenty-seven days, Stevie wil
✦❋Arianna✦❋
May 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars!!

description

“I imagine myself dead. Cold. Perfect and unbreathing with a still, stone heart. The weight of my useless body rotting in the ground. My soul lighter than paper and drifting far from its fleshy prison.”

“Paperweight” is a young adult/realistic novel that deals with heavy issues like eating disorders, suicide, depression and so much more. Needless to say this book is not for everyone. It’s a heartbreaking, moving read, obviously realistic, maybe a little too realistic at times, inte
Christy
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 stars

I feel really depressed after finishing this... not the ending per se, but the entire story. Some parts just hit a little too close. I struggled with the MC. I wasn't sure if I liked her most of the book, but there were some fantastic side characters (Ashely I adored, Josh was great). The book had a lot of flashbacks, which normally I don't love, but I feel like they were important here. This is a powerful read, but it's also very heavy. Saying I enjoyed it doesn't seem like the right te
Emma Giordano
Apr 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
THIS BOOK WAS FANTASTIC. I absolutely loved Paperweight by Meg Haston.

As someone who's suffered from anorexia since they were eleven, I only just realized that I had yet to read a fiction novel about eating disorders, and Paperweight did not disappoint. I'm amazed at how much of an accurate representation of eating disorders this book was.

I realized so much about my own illness while reading which was a blessing in itself. One of the most powerful thing about literature is being able to analyze
Lala BooksandLala
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hard-hitting
This was an extremely well done story.

“If Girl A departs sanity around the time her mother abandons her, assuming she is travelling at full speed towards self-destruction, how long will it take to reach her dead brother?”

This was a touching story of one girls battle with anorexia and depression, and her grief over the loss of her brother.

“I imagine myself dead. Cold. Perfect and unbreathing with a still, ston
Sadie Aldis
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
i just finished this book and now, my heart is full. 💗

this is a BEAUTIFULLY crafted story that captivated me right at the beginning. i loved every part of this book and the ending was a-freaking-mazing 🙌🏻😱

i learned sooo many lessons and i felt like i experienced the things that the main character experienced somehow ??.....

5 STARS FROM ME BCUZ I LOVED THIS READ 👏🏻👏🏻💛💛💛💛

Aditi
Jul 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
“The anorectic operates under the astounding illusion that she can escape the flesh, and, by association, the realm of emotions.”

----Marya Hornbacher, an American author

Meg Haston, an American YA author, pens a very personal story inspired from her own life, Paperweight that narrates the story of a young teenager, suffering from an eating disorder, recovering from the problem to have a normal life in a treatment center which is closer to hell. This is her story and the story that tells us how
Sarah Churchill
I believe this was my first experience of a character with an eating disorder, and I admit it's not a subject that I've ever really given a huge amount of thought to, given that it's never been a part of my own life or the people in it. I don't think I really appreciated the impact of other factors other than the actual food or appearance issues on a person's ED. This was an eye opener, and it was done poignantly and authentically.

This is a well written, emotionally charged account of a girl str
Nicole Wang
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Warning: I’d advise any readers with an eating disorder, or those easily influenced, to avoid this book as it may trigger unhealthy behavior

That being said, Paperweight was…cruel. There’s not much to say beyond that it was a heartbreakingly blunt story about a girl who showed her strength by starving herself to death and that I wanted to cry throughout the entire story. The words of Stevie are shockingly poignant and they cut deep–her contempt, her disgust, and her desperation jumped out from th
Jen Ryland
Interesting, and true to many of the experiences I once had (I was never in a treatment facility but probably should have been.) Perhaps since I've been recovered for a long time I didn't find this triggering, but others definitely might. (Note: it could be triggering in relation to eating disorders, but also in relation to other types of self-harm.)

I've seen other reviewers say that Stevie is unlikeable, and I agree, but I also think that eating disorders, like drug or alcohol addiction, pretty
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Update - Sep 2017: Why did I give this 3.5? Every time I think about this book, it makes me mad. Lowering to 2.

---

“Promise was like a precious stone, she told me: hypnotising, but after a while the weight of it could sink you."

I picked this book up because I'm a glutton for punishment, and I really, thoroughly enjoy YA contemporary books about The Tough Issues: abuse, EDs, addictions, pregnancy, etc. I've been reading them for a long time, and because of that, I've come across my fair share of t
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Contains triggers for those who have experienced, or have been touched by eating disorders.

Paperweight is an emotional, difficult and distressing read about a girl who ultimately wants to die. Stevie is bulimic, her weight loss and emotional state landing her at the health clinic with girls who know all too well what it feels like to live with an eating disorder. Her weight is the only aspect in her life that she feels in control of, carrying around the bl
Melanie
Need some time to gather my thoughts for this one. I found a certain thing that happened in the end a little anticlimactic and I struggled to connect with the main character - but I really loved some of the side characters here (like Ashley, and her relationship with the main character). I found the flashbacks to be really effective too, and it made me want to just stay up late and read it in one sitting (but alas, school the next day...)

Thinking 3-4 stars for now! RTC.
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Jun 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Wow, this really took me by surprise. It was so much more poignant and emotional than I expected it to be. If you're on the fence about reading this, I would definitely say to pick it up.
Kels
"If Girl A departs sanity around the time her mother abandons her, assuming she is traveling at full speed toward self-destruction, how long will it take her to reach her dead brother?"

I think this was a pretty solid read, with well developed characters, and a storyline that tackles head on some very heavy topics. I thought the author did an excellent job at really depicting the inner turmoil that the main character, Stevie, is coping with. Meg Haston cracks open Stevie's skull so that the rea
Sarah DiMento
Heavy and emotional... Not what I was expecting given the cute cover.

I thought the author did a fantastic job conveying the struggles and triumphs associated with recovery and therapy for eating disorders. Although it was a bit heavy, I think this is one of the best YA books I've read regarding these topics because too often it feels like YA books just don't explore serious and difficult topics as deeply as they could or should.
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
This review appears on Happy Indulgence - check it out for more reviews!

Deep, heavy and depressing, Paperweight certainly packed a punch when it came to the feels. I picked this up, knowing it was about a girl suffering from an eating disorder, but little did I know, the multiple triggers the book would cover. Grief, physical and emotional abuse, suicide, depression, toxic friendships, negative body image, drinking and family neglect, it’s all here.

Paperweight would be incredibly difficult for
Joce (squibblesreads)
Dec 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Before I begin my review, I really want to stress that your views on food have nothing to do with treatment of someone else's eating disorder. If you are not a professional with the appropriate scope of practice, you have absolutely no place commenting on anyone's etiology, presentation, or treatment of symptoms. Eating disorders are fucking serious. They are deep-seated, heartbreaking disorders and need to be addressed appropriately. Whether or not you as a reader choose to eat or not to ea ...more
Alise  (Readers in Wonderland)
PAPERWEIGHT is another addition to the YA contemporary genre, but it goes a lot deeper than your average romance. The very little romance that is hinted at is only a blimp in the story that is PAPERWEIGHT. It is about a girl’s journey, her struggles, her revelations, and her recovery.

My favorite aspect of this book was the main character, Stevie. I really liked her voice, it’s fresh and unique and honest. She can be unlikable at times but it works. There are reasons behind her actions and though
merina rey
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
2/3 of the way through I was certain that this book would be nothing more than a 3 star book for me, but I’m so happy to admit that I was wrong.
In my opinion this book perfectly portrayed the Eating Disorders mentioned in it.
I’ve dealt with many eating disorders in my life and I was shocked at how much I could relate to Stevie.
Great read, but as always, be aware of the many trigger warnings this book has!
Flor Méndez
Dec 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hablemos de libros sobre problemas alimenticios bien escritos, cuidados y que no utilizan una enfermedad como una simple excusa para hacer un libro que vende.
Emily Mead
Feb 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
OH MY GOD THIS BOOK. And yes, let me reiterate that it is probably HUGELY triggering for those with an eating disorder, so be careful, precious ones. But oh my gosh, I love love love Stevie and I want to cuddle her and tell her that everything's going to be alright.

I mean, her growth is just INCREDIBLE and painful and yep, I cried towards the end because I can't even imagine how hard recovery must be. It's strange because, yeah, she's fictional but I felt so PROUD of her throughout the book wit
Gabby
DNF at 50%
It's a shame that a book with this beautiful of a cover didn't really do much for me story wise. I'm not going to write a long and lengthy review as I usually do, because I didn't finish this book. I wasn't interested enough to continue reading. I picked this book up because that cover was too gorgeous to pass up, and because I'm intrigued by stories that deal with different types of mental illness. This book deals with a lot of graphic content, which is expected. It's about a girl nam
Monica
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Desde que lo vi en la librería me cautivó por su trama y cuando al fin pudo tenerlo en mis manos descubrí que no me había equivocado, una historia bien hecha que nos muestra algo vaga algunas veces, la manera de vivir y de adaptarse al cambio, y la transformación interna que conlleva el salir adelante de un trastorno alimenticio. donde junto a la protagonista descubriremos que lo más complicado no es la enfermedad, sino las razones que la llevaron a ella.
Stefani Sloma
Apr 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
You can read this review and more on my blog, Caught Read Handed.

Paperweight is an extremely difficult book to review. It’s also an extremely difficult book to read. I’ve never had an eating disorder and it was hard for me to read this. I can’t even imagine how triggering this book could possibly be for someone who’s had (or has) an eating disorder. Paperweight makes you uncomfortable. It pulls you completely out of your comfort zone and doesn’t hold a damn thing back. It puts everything out the
Maddie
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Absolutely loved this one, such a great representation of mental illness with just the right amount of grief and hope. Some stunning character too, my favourite being Shrink, she was the most understanding adult ever. I couldn't recommend this more if you're looking for a hard-hitting story with a glimmer of promise!
Dark Faerie Tales
Jun 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Terrifyingly authentic, this book is raw, gripping, and devastating.

Opening Sentence: Twenty-seven days to freedom, and I am caged.

The Review:

Stevie is trapped. Her life has became hell as she descends closer and closer to death. Every day she mourns the loss of her brother, the brother whom she grieves for and carries guilt for. She counts calories as a desperate way to grasp control on her life, but now even that is slipping away, in the t
Yvonne (It's All About Books)
brpaperweight
Finished reading: December 7th 2015
Rating 4qqq

“The thing was, I needed to be owned. I needed someone to say, This girl is mine. Thats what family is for, but mine was almost gone. There was no one to claim me but Eden and my sickness. So I gave myself to both.”

(view spoiler)
  • A Sense of the Infinite
  • Don't Ever Change
  • Finding Paris
  • All We Have Is Now
  • Kiss of Broken Glass
  • Not Otherwise Specified
  • Invincible (Invincible, #1)
  • Naked
  • Believarexic
  • What's Broken Between Us
  • Skin and Bones
  • Between Us and the Moon
“Promise was like a precious stone, she told me: hypnotising, but after a while the weight of it could sink you.” 27 likes
“Death is not an exact science, which is irritating for those of us who appreciate precision.” 27 likes