Start by marking “Gatecrashing Paradise: Misadventure in the Real Maldives” as Want to Read:
Gatecrashing Paradise: Misadventure in the Real Maldives

Gatecrashing Paradise: Misadventure in the Real Maldives

Gatecrashing Paradise offers a first glimpse of a newly accessible tourist destination. To many the Maldives not only symbolizes "paradise", but is paradise. Until Recently, outsiders were banned from islands not officially endorsed as "tourist resorts", but now a thousand sandy shores have opened up in the Indian Ocean-the flattest area on Earth.
Published November 27th 2014 by Nicholas Brealey

To ask other readers questions about Gatecrashing Paradise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gatecrashing Paradise

Start your review of Gatecrashing Paradise: Misadventure in the Real Maldives
Paul
If you were to mention the Maldives to most people they would conjure up images of pristine beaches and luxury hotels. This champagne lifestyle comes at a price though, not only is it expensive to go there, the Beckhams were rumoured to have spent £250k on one holiday alone, but there has been a human cost to this lifestyle for the residents and workers of the island. On top of that, the Maldives is in a perilous position. It is the lowest country in the world, only nudging a few meters above th ...more
Christine Cook
Apr 08, 2015 rated it liked it
We visited The Maldives on our honeymoon 19 years ago. Whilst our paradise island was certainly idyllic and our visit to the capital Male was interesting I was left frustrated that we could only experience the tourist version of The Maldives and I was left wanting to know more about the islands and it's people.

Recently the Maldivian government have relaxed their rules on tourism and visitors can now travel to areas outside of the high end tourist resorts. Tom Chesshyre goes off the beaten track
Babs
Oct 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a really good "behind the scenes" book on the idyllic Maldives.

We were fortunate enough to honeymoon in the Maldives in 2007, on a tiny island with 48 villas and over 100 staff to service them. It really was a heaven-on-earth. But this kind of luxury honeymoon idyll is only part of the story. Tom Chesshyre's book goes (pretty much) behind the scenes of the 5 star luxury resorts and looks at the life of the real Maldivians.

It covers a lot of the political turmoil that has hit the islands
Jennifer Pletcher
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it

This is the story of the authro's time traveling around the Maldives many islands. He is a travel writer, so he wanted to get an inside look of life in the Maldives beyond the beautiful oceans and resorts that tourist see. He sailed around almost 600 miles of islands on his trip to the Maldives discussing jobs, cuisine, politics, religion, and general life with the locals.

I really liked this book. There aren't a lot of books about the Maldives that aren't travel books for tourist, so I was happ
Ian Hodkinson
Jul 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: travel, history
Easily readable and amusing summary of the geography, history and current political state of the Maldives. Likeable enough to search out some of Chesshyre's other offerings.
Mrs D Downes
Oct 07, 2016
Sally
Apr 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: travel
"There was blue - an enormity of blue"
By sally tarbox on 24 April 2017
Format: Kindle Edition
I've never visited the Maldives and have always had a vague impression of beautiful beaches and luxurious hotels - I'd gladly go if I won a ticket but maybe there's not enough to see and do to put it on my 'must visit' list.
In this account, Tom Chesshyre takes advantage of the recent relaxation in rules that now permits tourists to travel anywhere in the nation, rather than just confining them to designat
Samantha
Odette Dace
Oct 08, 2017

• Bear Attacks: Their Causes and Avoidance
  • Wannabe A Writer?
  • Don't Come Back: a travel adventure of bad-tempered baboons, black magic, and breakups.
  • Five Hundred Mile Walkies
Tom Chesshyre has been writing travel stories for UK national newspapers for over15 years. After reading politics at Bristol University and completing a journalism diploma from City University, he had stints at the Cambridge Evening News, Sporting Life and Sky Sports. During this period he won the Independent's young sports writer of the year competition and was runner-up in the Financial Times yo ...more

News & Interviews