Start by marking “No Ordinary Disruption: The Four Global Forces Breaking All the Trends” as Want to Read:
No Ordinary Disruption: The Four Global Forces Breaking All the Trends

No Ordinary Disruption: The Four Global Forces Breaking All the Trends

Our intuition on how the world works could well be wrong. We are surprised when new competitors burst on the scene, or businesses protected by large and deep moats find their defenses easily breached, or vast new markets are conjured from nothing. Trend lines resemble saw-tooth mountain ridges.

The world not only feels different. The data tell us it is different. Based on y
Published May 12th 2015 by PublicAffairs

Start your review of No Ordinary Disruption: The Four Global Forces Breaking All the Trends
Sumit Singla
I've got mixed feelings about this one. While it begins with a bang, explaining how disruption is all around us and coming from unexpected quarters, in the latter part it falls into a familiar trap of viewing everything from slightly dated lenses.

It is no secret that the world is changing. Rapidly. A lot of the younger people in the world come from Asia and Africa. Manufacturing is beginning to move to these shores as well.

However, I don't think the book offers something too 'different' from wha
Christohper
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
The book makes some good points about cities that aren't well known being large parts of the economy there are serious issues however.
The authors misstate Moore's Law as doubling of processing power every 18 months. It actually refers to the number of transistors.
The authors fail to include the fact that that the human genome sequencing accelerated during the Human Genome Project and beat original estimates by a large margin. The speed of increase in genome sequencing makes more sense when you c
Mark Lawry
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
I believe this was recommended by The Economist but I'm not sure it says anything profound and certainly not one of their better recommendations. The premise of the book is everyone in the world is moving to cities, fertility rates are falling and populations are aging, technology and networking are making us more productive. Ok that's fine, but surely everyone knows these facts. This book could be useful to anybody in business. However, if any of the things in this book are a shock to you busin ...more
Robert Chapman
Feb 13, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: business, non-fiction
Unfortunately I have to go with 1 star for this book. My issue is that while it's well written, it simply doesn't offer anything new. Anyone involved in business today or who even watches the news can intuitively arrive at the same findings the author does in this book.
Ed Terrell
Jan 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
On Cyber Monday, December 1, 2014 Americans spent $2.65 billion on line. In November that same year on China’s Singles Day, one on line company, Alibaba recorded sales of $9.3 billion.

No Ordinary Disruption covers four changes that are occurring in the world economy:
-The rise of emerging markets on a scale never before encountered
-The global aging population
-The speed of technological advancements
-The cross border flow of people, goods, capital and ideas

The authors are directors for the McKinse
Fred Zimny
Apr 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Should be on your reading list.

It would have five stars if there was an elaboration on societal, political and state issues.

Review was posted in august 2015 on https://fredzimny.wordpress.com/2015/...

I do not know where you live of what your profession is.

But probably you feel like that most of your knowledge and intuition you have built over your life has gone.

And - if so - what are the consequences for management of your career, your business, your business and the relationships with those who
Antony Mayfield
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Essential reading. Clear arguments and supporting data about why we are entering a period of massive changes in the world.
Bec Rindler
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
Read this for work. Some interesting ideas about disruptive global forces, but could be summed up in a 10 page paper rather than a 200 page book.
Ment El Hachem
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I want to give it 3.6 stars but it’s not possible. Interesting book, many exemples and rich data. It’s a wake up call attempt for corporations, gvts, ordinary ppl.
The main idea is that those forces aren’t new but how big and fast they are going is quite bit alarming.
Under the Lines we could notice the Mackenzie Institute bias opinion about China and the big corporations.
The authors missed the black swan event which is the geopolitical disruption. The impact of climate change was also missing in
Mohamed
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
The book is discussing that any future business disruption will rely upon one of four factors:
1- Utilizing the growth of urbanization - where country side will shrink versus huge growth of urban communities,
2- Acceleration of technology changes,
3- Change of world population demographics as more elder will dominate the workforce in near future,
4- Much more connected world in terms of people and IoT.

I agree with above points. The book provides an overview of future trends of disruption on Macro le
Steve Scott
Jul 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I listened to the unabridged audiobook. While much of the work was interesting in discussing global trends and disruptive technologies, the middle of the book dealt with strategies and techniques whose jargon might have made sense to an MBA. It lost me.

It sounded like a “self help” book for large corporations and start ups. I’d do better with the likes of Fareed Zakaria, who has the optimism of these authors, but can explain it to somebody who never went to business school.
Larry Walsh
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Yes, the book reads like it was written by a bunch of McKinsey consultants (because it was), but it offers tremendous insights into how the future is unfolding before our eyes and what disruptions we'll have to contend with now and in the years to come.
Ozgur Deniz
Mar 11, 2018 rated it liked it
A brief review of what is to come/has come in terms of technology. And their impacts on how companies are, how people work etc.
Stuti Gurtoo
Sep 16, 2016 rated it liked it
The book substantiates with data what you may intuitively know already: emerging markets are growing, technology is disrupting the world, global population is aging, and the world is becoming increasingly connected. If you are looking for interesting stories or literary prose, stay away. If you are looking for facts and numbers to prove these trends, discover exactly where to go looking for the next big change (Kumasi or Tianjin; 3D printing or genomics), and find out when and how much of a chan ...more
Steve
Nov 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Well written book by a couple McKinsey partners describing the likely and potential after effects of 8-10 mega trends / disruptions already occurring in the world. The beginning chapter or two and the concluding sections are a great summary read if you want to avoid a lot of the academia research process nuances they explain. Trickle down effects like how the proliferation of certain technologies, including social media, are positively lifting the economic standards of living for many "third wor ...more
Kasie Whitener
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book articulates clearly the challenges of our current and future global economy. It's an exceptional treatment of the subject with visibility to opportunities and trends not fully explored in business press. The structure made the content digestible and the adapt strategies were clearly explained.

Most interesting were the workforce challenges discussed with the greying trend and the 24-hour business cycles. Excellent read.
Arup
Aug 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Not recommended for folks who read econ blogs frequently. Overall good summary of long term secular trends - 1) urbanization 2) technology 3) Aging 4) Globalization. 2 is well covered in media and the blogosphere. 4 is all over the news given Brexit and Trump. Finance folks talk about 3 as well, especially the asset managers (Bob Merton's latest research). 1 receives the lowest attention amongst all. McKinsey research on tier II cities and their economic potential is worth having a look at.
Nerdy
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
"Disruption", "disruptive technological change" in the Christensen' sense, I thought. But this was wrong. If you put the label of "disruption" on a variety of new societal challenges (e.g. Trade between countries in the South, aging, fast pace of technological chage) you got the book. The problem with this kind of books? The depreciate very rapidly!
Ricardo Vargas
Sep 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: management
Four interesting forces: Urbanization, Technology, Aging population, Global Connections. It is a good set of insights on what is disrupting the world today.

Quatro forças interessantes: urbanização, Tecnologia, envelhecimento da população e conexões globais. Um bom conjunto de idéias que estão rompendo no mundo hoje.
JP
Nov 15, 2016 rated it liked it
a Great book, its caution the entrepreneur to take note of what happening around the world
No relaxation, your status of granted will be robbed by technology at any time
a dry subject but the presentation is awesome
Every chapter equally distributed with lot of fact and figures
Enjoyed and enlightened
Mikael Getachew
Jun 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting insightful book challenging conventional wisdom.

This was an interesting and insightful book and was well written delivering the information in a fluid easy to read fashion despite the dense detailed subject matter covered.
David Bachmann
Sep 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great book, though no new secrets are revealed. However, never found all megatrends put together in such a godd structure. Worth reading for anybody wanting to orientate himself or his business towards the future.
PeterBlackCoach
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business, disruptive
Excellent book written by 3 McKinsey consultants on the major forces that are disrupting both business and our lives - positively and negatively. Well worth a read - we are certainly not going back to the past and what worked for us then!
Hamed Al-Hamdan
May 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommend

Stunning figures & info

Global future direction & opportunities
Denis Korsunov
May 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Forecasts without obligations. Exaggerated extrapolation. Overgrown business card.
Victor Panggabean
Jul 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Need to read it over, lots of facts and data.. BUT it's a good book to read in order to understand business world today and where it is going to lead..
John Fletcher
Pretty good skim of some of the mega trends we are likely to see on earth in the next 10 or so years
Leo Kowalyk
Aug 07, 2015 rated it liked it
did not get past the first chapter. found the global forces mentioned to be not very unique or engaging.
Garima Mamgain
Aug 21, 2015 rated it liked it
a very research heavy book. great for a macro picture of the ever changing world. however this could have been a more compact book than it is.
Mills College Library
337 D632 2015

• The Fourth Industrial Revolution
  • The Only Game in Town: Central Banks, Instability, and Avoiding the Next Collapse
  • The Age of Cryptocurrency: How Bitcoin and Digital Money Are Challenging the Global Economic Order
  • A More Beautiful Question: The Power of Inquiry to Spark Breakthrough Ideas
  • Super Immunity: The Essential Nutrition Guide for Boosting Your Body's Defenses to Live Longer, Stronger, and Disease Free
  • Pandemic: Tracking Contagions, from Cholera to Ebola and Beyond
  • The Elephant in the Brain: Hidden Motives in Everyday Life
  • The 5 AM Club: Own Your Morning. Elevate Your Life
  • The Art of Thinking Clearly
  • Originals: How Non-Conformists Move the World
  • Strategy Beyond the Hockey Stick: People, Probabilities, and Big Moves to Beat the Odds
  • Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong
  • Superintelligence: Paths, Dangers, Strategies
  • Brain Rules for Baby: How to Raise a Smart and Happy Child from Zero to Five
  • How the Right Lost Its Mind
  • Mayo Clinic Guide to Your Baby's First Year: From Doctors Who Are Parents, Too!
  • Accessory to War: The Unspoken Alliance Between Astrophysics and the Military

News & Interviews

“with every doubling of a city’s population, each inhabitant becomes, on average, 15 percent wealthier, more productive, and more innovative.” 0 likes
“Telekom Austria has converted hundreds of disused phone booths in Vienna into electric-car-charging stations where drivers can pay for fuel with a text message.” 0 likes