Start by marking “Lifting the Veil: A Witches' Guide to Trance-Prophesy, Drawing Down the Moon, and Ecstatic Ritual” as Want to Read:

Written to fill an existing gap in the current available knowledge on trance, prophesy, deity-possession, and mediumship within the neo-Pagan and Wiccan communities, Lifting the Veil was developed from Janet Farrar and Gavin Bones personal work and public workshops on trance-prophesy and ecstatic ritual over the last 20 years. The book covers the history and modern ...more
Published June 1st 2016 by Acorn Guild Press (first published May 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Lifting the Veil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lifting the Veil

Start your review of Lifting the Veil: A Witches' Guide to Trance-Prophesy, Drawing Down the Moon, and Ecstatic Ritual
Toviel
When influential elders of the pagan and witchcraft community start to drift from the orthodoxies they helped establish, their published works tend to go a little squirrely. Neo-pagan writers cant republish the same information repeatedly, while older witches tend to push overtly dated practices as universal beliefs. It often leads to a distinct disconnect to their writings and modern witchcraft/paganism. The more ambitious the title, the greater possibly of the book turning poorly.

In addition
Rachel
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: witchcraft
I have always enjoyed reading Janet Farrar's books, co-written with her late husband Stewart, and find them to be highly informative. Lifting the Veil is no exception. Janet and Gavin have done a marvelous job in adding another resource to the pool for pagans who belong to Wiccan traditions. Trance-prophecy and the actual purpose of Drawing Down the Moon are subjects that have fascinated me for a number of years. Unfortunately, there aren't really that many resources exploring the subject in ...more
Stephen Hergest
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is a valuable addition to the libraries of advanced Pagan practitioners. It is meticulously researched, and draws from Janet and Gavin's experience and travels. The exercises, rituals, and poetry contained here are worth study by groups interested in deepening their experience of trance, seership, prophecy, and connection to the Divine.
Kaylus The Grey
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This explained what I felt was missing in my experiences with Drawing Down the Moon.
Candy Ray
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I had been meaning to read this for a long time, because I've met Gavin Bone, and I know a lot of Pagans who admire Janet Farrar. I reviewed it on Amazon but the review seems to have disappeared.

It's certainly the best classification I've read of different kinds of mediumship and communication with gods. It explains each of them very clearly. I do channeling, and in the past I've often become confused trying to explain what I'm dong, and compare it with what others are doing. With this book it
Brandy
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fascinating look at Spiritualism, shamanism, Vodoun & Santeria, trance possession and prophecy. While much focuses on a handful of specific deities, there is also a brief chapter on the spirits of the deceased.
Maja Miljković
Sep 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Possibly my most favourite book on the subject! Very accurate and properly explained techniques.
Monte Plaisance
Apr 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Refreshingly readable for a topic as deep as Trance-mediumship is! Excellent and useful information. This takes the reader of the normal humdrum books on similar topics to a new and higher level of practice and understanding.
John
Emily Donnelly
Mar 16, 2019
Olga
Apr 14, 2018 added it
I heard this about a business training: if you take one thing out of it, it was a good training. If you take two things out of it, it was excellent.

I took two techniques out of this book, so it must be excellent.
Scott
Ashley
Nov 12, 2020

• Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner
  • Jim Henson's Labyrinth: Coronation Vol. 1
  • Day Shift (Midnight, Texas, #2)
  • The Fall of Gondolin (Middle-Earth Universe)
  • Night Shift (Midnight, Texas, #3)
  • Midnight Crossroad (Midnight, Texas, #1)
  • Jim Henson's Labyrinth: Coronation Vol. 2
  • Numerology
  • True Magic: Unleashing Your Inner Witch
  • Beltane: Rituals, Recipes & Lore for May Day
  • The Bacchae
Janet Farrar, along with Stewart, is author of many books on witchcraft, and a well known witch who has appeared frequently in the media. She currently lives in Ireland and regularly tours the U.S.A. giving lectures and workshops.