Start by marking “The Cycle of Arawn: The Complete Trilogy” as Want to Read:
The Cycle of Arawn: The Complete Trilogy

The Cycle of Arawn: The Complete Trilogy

(The Cycle of Arawn #1-3)

A USA Today bestselling series.
__

Dante Galand is young. Penniless. Alone. But devoted to learning the dark magic of his world.

His quest will take him from the city gutters to a foreign land of sorcerers. To a war for independence. And finally, to another war--this time, for his people's very survival.

THE CYCLE OF ARAWN is a complete trilogy of 1600 pages--over half a milli
Published September 21st 2014

To ask other readers questions about The Cycle of Arawn, please sign up.
Colin If you like a fantasy adventure with character building with a dark side this is certainly a story for you. It has great banter along with an interest…moreIf you like a fantasy adventure with character building with a dark side this is certainly a story for you. It has great banter along with an interesting twist. I would say it is made for the young adult.

I listened to Dawn of Wonder right before this, and have become a big of them since because of this series. Robertson does a great job of mixing the humor, story and adventure all into one within this trilogy. Afterwards you can have even more enjoyment through the Cycle of Galand. Right now, I am just waiting for the next one to be released as they have all been enjoyable. (less)

Start your review of The Cycle of Arawn: The Complete Trilogy
Edward
Aug 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: high-fantasy
Like many, I suspect, Audible heavily advertising a complete fantasy trilogy (65 hours of audio) for one credit was sufficient to peak my interest. What finally convinced me to pull the trigger was the narrator being Tim Gerald Reynolds, whose work I had just enjoyed on the first Riyria Chronicles novel.

Overall, while it never got terrible enough for me to give up on, the writing and the characters just never developed to a level where I found myself compelled. If I were reading the physical boo
Cheryl
Nov 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have given these three books five.....yes FIVE stars!I`m putting it up there with Dune & The Hobbit and Stranger in a Strange Land. The first book was a TAD sloggy, but I think that was mostly due to editing problems. Quite possibly Kindle editing. But the read was so good I had no problem just ignoring that.

Then the second and third books were so masterful I couldn`t help but forgive anything that might have been a problem with the first book. The two main characters were so fun and real, eve
Sabrina
Jan 23, 2015 rated it did not like it
I bought this book because it was a kindle deal and it had surprisingly good (if few) reviews. However, it was a total waste of time. Almost stopped after the first book, but kept reading it till the (bitter) end.
I didn't care about the main character and his actions mostly didn’t make a lot of sense. I did like the magic system, but honestly that’s not enough in a 1600 pages book. Wouldn’t recommend it.
Clay Kallam
Sep 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy
I was simply getting sick of the buckets of blood, the incessant violence, the joyless sex, and all the accoutrements of modern fantasy -- plus I was ahead in my reviews -- so I satisfied my hunger for something a little easier on the soul by downloading "The Cycle of Arawn."

This was a big investment (99 cents) for all three volumes, but I was very happy with the serious cash outlay, as I read all three books in a row, and had a good time doing so.

OK, there were so many narrow escapes from death
Denyse Loeb
Oct 21, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
Still working my way through book 1, which is probably part of the problem: reading shouldn't be work. There are these long moments of being in the MC's head where almost nothing else happens, and while I get why they are there, they're too much--too long. Still, it is keeping me engaged enough to keep reading for now. At this point, though, I'm not so sure I'll be interested in diving into the second book sooner rather than later. We'll have to see if things pick up better in the latter two-thi ...more
Scott Esler
Jul 31, 2015 rated it did not like it
Is it possible to rate a book series 0 stars. Another one of those books overrated because its a Goodreads author and his friends upvoted his book to try and boost his sales. Goodreads should be watching out for its users and stopping this from happening. Be wary readers. Always check all the reviews and if there are only so many dont buy into the ratings. This author barely understands the english language and trying to read this if you do will be a hugely frustrating experience. I made it a fe ...more
Toby Harvey
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
So, there are a lot of damming reviews in this section... by people who have read at most the first book. This is from someone who has read all three.
Yes, the first book is a bit slow. Yes, perhaps the characters are not amazingly written, and perhaps the modern slang is a bit weird. But by the second story, and from then on, it gets gripping. I just finished recently, and the third book got me quite angry... about the fact I couldn't read it quickly enough to satisfy my need to find out more ab
Robert John
Aug 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
As a former avid reader, and a current avid audible listener, I cannot give this 5 stars. I can however give it a solid 4 stars. I found listening to this book was what it must feel like to push a boulder down a slowly sloping hill, with a wall at the end...at first you are like "yeah, ok this is gonna be fun!!!" then you think..."can this damn boulder move any slower...." shortly followed by "ok...ok...i see where this is going"...then by the last book you are just holding your breath until the ...more
Ben Baumgardner
Aug 26, 2015 rated it did not like it
I agree with earlier criticisms of this book, and I felt that all the characters were the same person, who by the way did not seem very fleshed out. I didn't like them, nor did I care what happened to them, or become interested in what was happening. I kept thinking that the book was going to get better, or that the limited world-building and character building was the author's way of slowly revealing mysteries, but found myself being frustrated all the way 'till I quit midway during book two. ...more
Caiti
Jan 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned, e-books
I consider this book abandoned for now.

There was not enough happening to keep me interested. I believe I read up to the part of the Dead City. There is not much to say about so little. Slow story, poor character building, too many words for a whole lot of nothing.
Kush Gulati
Aug 29, 2015 rated it did not like it
Maybe I missed the point of this trilogy.

Maybe it was actually as bad as it seemed. The story was more a sequence of events than a plot. The characters didn't grow so much as seem to arbitrarily become different people. The dialogue and banter were horrible and seemed forced, and all of the main characters had the same sense of "humor." The edition I read was poorly edited, and several times the wrong word or character name was used.

Honestly, this is one of the few works that I regret having rea
Eric
Jul 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I cannot express how much I love this series. Robertson writes like a more adult-oriented David Eddings (of Belgariad/Mallorean fame). The dry, sardonic banter between the two heroes, Blays and Dante, has me grinning from ear-to-ear.
Sharon Lewis
Oct 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I just can't say enough about this trilogy. READ IT! It is funny, and touching, and just absolutely amazing. Best Character development EVER! This is easily one of the absolute best books I have ever read. ...more
Benjamin
Jan 08, 2015 rated it did not like it
Started out good, but after about 2/3s the way through, it just seemed to stall out.
Joel
Jan 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed these books quite a bit in the end, but do understand some of the criticisms lobbed by others. The protagonist is certainly not a sympathetic character at many times, nor are some of the other characters. The action and obstacles do seem a bit repetitive, and there are certain sections that plod on for ever or don't seem to serve the plot well, while other sections rush through quickly with little development. I also think that a few too many of the characters were witty beyond reason. ...more
Chuck Breckenridge
Dec 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This was one of the best series I have read in years!!!!! (and I read alot!!!)

I loved the characters and the interaction they had with each other and the love and companionship they gave to each other.

I was never bored in any spot of reading these novels and I am sure I will read them again.

Dante is the sort of character most of us can relate to. His courage in the face of so much danger and death allowed us to watch him grow into the leader he needed to be. I really enjoyed the character of Bla
Tom
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
I approached this book wanting to like it, open to finding a new writer who could spin a yarn. Unfortunately I had to abandon Book One about half way through.
The pace is slow, the character development is poor but worst of all the plot makes it very difficult to suspend disbelief. It's always a problem for writers but especially for fantasy writers walking the well-trodden path of otherwise-insignificant-young-lad-develops magical-powers-to-save-the-world.
Instead of grappling with implausible
Ilze
Jul 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved these books and would put them beside the Tolkien's Hobbit and LoTR trilogy if this wasn't a kindle edition. I took the reading really slow and read this on my phone in between when I had bits of time so it took me quite long to finish, but that made me even more attached to the characters and the world. After I finished these series I now realize it is weird that there is no continuation, no Dante, no Blays...no more adventures of those two witty boys.
For me it was worth a read for sure
Robert Bowlin
Mar 01, 2016 rated it liked it
I have to say that I enjoyed the series. I too thought the snark was funny but over the top. No there wasn't a lot of character development. But my biggest issue was this: in the first books and a half there are virtually no women. Even the primary antagonist in book one has very little to say, and you can't help but think her fate was a little extreme. At the end of the second & the third book, things do improve. But in these cases it seems more the exception than the rule. ...more
Andrew Brierley
Jun 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I am not quite sure why the reviews for this book so polarised, I found the trilogy to be engaging and fun, I do concur with some reviews that it is a series of stories linked together as opposed to one big story across 3 volumes. I liked the characters and I like the overall story, I really do like the the narrater, it was from reading other books he has narrated that led me to this series on Audible.
Angel
Jul 24, 2016 added it
I took me a LONG time, but I finally finished this trilogy. I got the Audible Omnibus. I was sad it was over. Till I noticed The Cycle of Galand was there. It will be on my to listen to list Great books.
Penguinwearingglasses
Feb 15, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: couldnt-finish
Couldn't get through book one... Was such a struggle, and like someone else said reading shouldn't be a chore! ...more
Laura Walton Allen
...maybe 2.5?

I actually downloaded the Podium audiobook version of this because I needed something new to listen to while in the studio and its sheer volume-to-terrible-reviews ratio wasn't horrible (it weighs in at 65 hours plus, and people don't seem to hate it.)

I got what I wanted, I suppose. It is indeed satisfyingly lengthy; I was able to spend a couple of weeks in the same world with the same characters, which lends a pleasing sense of continuity to my workday. On the other hand, the boo
Nathan Duby
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
The first book was a little hard to get through as it was hard to care about the protagonist early on. As it and the rest of the series advances the characters end up with enough depth and personality that you can understand their actions.
Charles Peterson
Took a while to build story up but good ending to the series.
Max
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
Goes on and on

It's OK but I found myself skimming huge chunks so that I could get to something engaging, not the way I usually read a book.
Amber  Pulido
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great

Great read, I really loved the banter between the two main characters. I look forward to reading his next books.
Dan Young
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook
Looking back at my reading updates I had said at 8% that the magic system was interesting and still being explored. Forgive me, because it was never really explained a whole lot more from that point on. The author even introduced an opposing magic force that seemed the yang to the Nether's Ying.... But that was never actually explained by the author.

After 65 hours of audiobook I still feel.... Hollow. So many things left unexplained. Characters so driven and motivated with no reason other than h
Rafael Osornio
Dec 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Phenomenal storytelling

I came across the first book as part of an anthology of fantasy stories, each one the beginning of its own multi-novel saga. As I read through, I was extremely critical: show me what the characters feel, don't tell me. Is that the best you could do with that sentence? So on and so forth.

Somewhere around a third of the way through the grammar Nazi inside began complaining less and by the end I was hooked. Robertson's style matured by years over the course of that one novel,
Chelsea Rayna
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This trilogy gets progressively better! By the end of the 2nd book I was totally hooked and it was even better in the third! It was a magical tale that kept me engaged in both the thoughts and actions of it's characters. I can't wait to read more from this author! ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Kindle Unlimited ...: The Cycle of Arawn by Edward W Robertson 1 9 Oct 23, 2016 06:53PM

• Age of Empyre (The Legends of the First Empire, #6)
  • Spellmonger (The Spellmonger, #1)
  • Fate of Wizardoms Boxed Set (Fate of Wizardoms, #1-3)
  • Legends of Ahn (King's Dark Tidings, #3)
  • The Dagger of Adendigaeth (A Pattern of Shadow & Light, #2)
  • Paths of Alir (A Pattern of Shadow & Light, # 3)
  • Free the Darkness (King's Dark Tidings #1)
  • Kingdoms and Chaos (King's Dark Tidings, #4)
  • Reign of Madness (King's Dark Tidings, #2)
  • Kingdom Blades (A Pattern of Shadow and Light, #4)
  • Journeymage (The Spellmonger, #6)
  • Age of Death (The Legends of the First Empire, #5)
  • Twinborn Trilogy Collection (Twinborn Trilogy, #1-3)
  • The Sixth Strand (A Pattern of Shadow & Light, #5)
  • The Cloud Warrior Saga: Books 1-3
  • Heir of Novron (The Riyria Revelations, #5-6)
  • Warmage (The Spellmonger, #2)
  • Rise of Empire (The Riyria Revelations, #3-4)
Ed is the author of the post-apocalyptic Breakers series and the epic fantasy series The Cycle of Arawn. A former New Yorker and Idaho-guy, he currently lives in the LA area. His short fiction has appeared in a whole bunch of magazines and anthologies.

The Cycle of Arawn (3 books)
  • The White Tree (The Cycle of Arawn #1)
  • The Great Rift (The Cycle of Arawn #2)
  • The Black Star (The Cycle of Arawn #3)

News & Interviews

“What a terrible thing, when what's right is overruled by what's popular,” 5 likes
“I wonder what's killed more men over the years. Wild animals? Or masculine taunts?” 2 likes