Start by marking “Lady Pancake & Sir French Toast” as Want to Read:

Lady Pancake & Sir French Toast

(Lady Pancake & Sir French Toast #1)

Lady Pancake and Sir French Toast have a beautiful friendship—until they discover that there's ONLY ONE DROP of maple syrup left. Off they go, racing past the Orange Juice Fountain, skiing through Sauerkraut Peak, and reeling down the linguini. But who will enjoy the sweet taste of victory? And could working together be better than tearing each other apart?
Published September 1st 2015 by Sterling

To ask other readers questions about Lady Pancake & Sir French Toast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lady Pancake & Sir French Toast

Marilyn Weiss
Sep 09, 2015 rated it liked it
This book has left me with more questions then answers. It seems as though all food is sentient in this story. I was concerned when Lady Pancake and Sir French Toast went off in search of syrup to eat. Is the syrup not sentient? Are they not eating their food friend in front of all of these onlookers? Do their royal titles grant them the power to consume who they please?

Turns out that the syrup bottle is alive, not the syrup itself. That being said, the pair of breakfast items then turn their a
Liz B
Jan 14, 2016 rated it did not like it
Sing-songy and sometimes awkward rhymes tell a weird and not that interesting story of a leftover pancake and slice of French toast racing to eat the last of the syrup.

1. Who keeps leftover pancakes?
2. Why are the pancakes (etc.) eating syrup? That's weird.
3. How did the waffle get out of the freezer?
4. Could your moral be any more heavy-handed?

Me: So what did you think?
Son: That was weird.
Me: Did you like it?
Son: No.
Dec 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books

Lady Pancake & Sir French Toast is a joy to read aloud!

Our tale is a fast paced read and race through the fridge with Lady Pancake and Sir French Toast trying to get to the last drop of syrup. They run, “PLOP!” and “FLIP!” from shelf to shelf. Through Broccoli Forest and oceans of soup! Who will get to the sweet, sweet syrup first?

This book holds so many fun words. Words that fill the air with energy and sounds. Words like--screeched, hurdled, rappelled, and vaulted keep the energy and acti
Beth
Jun 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
The race is on! Both Lady Pancake & Sir French Toast are determined to be the one to use up that last drop of maple syrup that's left in the fridge. But there will be many obstacles in their way: the Broccoli Forest, the Orange Juice Fountain, and Potato Mash Mountain just to name a few. And just who is this Baron von Waffle guy?

Lady Pancake & Sir French Toast is a fun foodie frolic through the fridge with two friends that briefly become frenemies in an attempt to be the one to come out
Grace
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Grace says this is her favorite book (probably not true), I asked her who her favorite character is and she says it is Ice Cream (not a character). Mine is Baron Von Waffle. Fun read, don’t read it hungry or do have pancake mix at home.
BJ
Oct 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: local-library
I'm looking for books for my great-nieces for Christmas, they are almost 3 and almost 5. I thought this one was so cute! Lady Pancake and Sir French Toast are besties, but when they find out there is only a drop of maple syrup left, they are in a race to see who can get to it first. They race through the refrigerator to get to it, maybe at the cost of their friendship. Loved it! I'm definitely getting this one for the 3-year-old. The pictures are bright and colorful and the writing rhymes. Very ...more
Lesley Burnap
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Debut author, Josh Funk, comes up with a yummy literary treat! This book begs to be read aloud (with the perfect opportunity to show off your acting skills with an amazing rhyme scheme)! It would make for a terrific readers' theater, too! Fun, expressive illustrations support the text! (Keep your eyes open for MORE PB titles in the near future from Mr. Funk!)
Michele Knott
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Rhyming books can be tough, you have to be very clever with your rhymes to sound authentic. Josh Funk nails it with his debut picture book. Clever, funny and with a fun little twist, this book will delight readers!
Michelle
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
We love these books!!
I don’t normally save picture books on Goodreads, but these ones are so fun!
My toddler loves to listen them, and I enjoy reading them to her because they have fun word play, pictures and humor.
Dorine White
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Story-
Lady Pancake and Sir French Toast are leftovers living in the refrigerator. Word gets to them that there is only one drop of maple syrup left. Once friends, they now are competitors, each wanting that last drop. They both race through different paths inside the refrigerator, one encountering a bean avalanche and the other a jam pothole. They make it to the syrup only to find out that someone beat them to it! (I had a great giggle here) and return to their shelf, beat-up and sticky, but
Margaret Boling
10/22/2017 ** Reflections on ratings and reviews: I first read this book early in January 2016 and rated it with 3 stars. I read it again this week (without looking at my previous rating) and mentally gave it a 5 star rating. I am in a different place now (elementary school librarian responsible for selecting engaging, amusing, thoughtful, and critical books for ALL readers) than I was then. This time I saw beyond the silly illustrations and rhyme to the deeper message that arguing sometimes mea ...more
Rebecca Colby
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was such a fun book! I loved the concept of a pancake and a slice of French toast vying for the last drop of maple syrup. It was a rollicking fun read, full of fridge adventure and great verse! My 10 year old and 5 year old were both in agreement that it’s one of the best picture books they’ve seen this year.
Deborah Sosin
Oct 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book for my five-year-old niece's birthday and she was enthralled with the whimsical illustrations and fun, rhyming story. She especially loved the special surprise fold-out page at the end. A great read-aloud for kids of all ages, and adults, too. Just don't read it when you're hungry or you might be in trouble! :)
Jillian Heise
Jul 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Rhyming story with competitive food characters (Lady Pancake & Sir French Toast) who take a journey through the fridge (with a wide variety of foods) on their race to try to get to the syrup first. Humorous, entertaining, and just plain fun. Great illustrations. Would make a good read aloud for themes of friendship and competitiveness (or healthy foods).
Carrie Gelson
This was some read aloud. So much silly, so much funny, rhymes that work and a trail of suspense as we move through a refrigerator adventure. We laughed a lot during this book but there was also lots of absolutely captured little faces waiting to discover what would happen next!
Debbie Ohi
Jul 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Such a delicious read, plus I love the surprise fold-out ending. This would make a great readaloud, with lots of potential discussion with young readers about the fun art details, food and friendship.
Jason
Nov 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Baron von Waffle steals the show in the story and out of it! Did anyone else catch that French Toast and Pancake were agreeing to split up a pat of butter that was SMILING? And that on the next page, as Pancake and French Toast share said bit of butter is STILL SMILING? Creeeeepy....
Cynthia Levinson
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
So THAT's what happens when you close the fridge door. I mean, we all suspected it. But, Josh Funk tells it like it is. Funny, punny, and clever with a gentle message about competition and friendship, this is a delightful and important book.
Donalyn
Aug 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I had the pleasure of listening to Josh read this book aloud during Nerd Camp.
Robin
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My kids love this book and it is fun to read. We are definitely adding it to our bookshelves.
Rachel
Feb 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
I'll be honest, I thought they were racing to be chosen to be eaten, not who would get to eat the syrup...which made me feel conflicted. It is a children's book after all. Alas, the rhyming is cute, I love that all the foods have faces and varying facial expressions. Plus, who doesn't want to root for pancakes and French toast?
Magpie67
One drop of syrup can change things and the calamity getting there to steal the one drop is hilarious. Who will beat who? Pages of rhymes past all the foods in the refrigerator and many with their tops off. Quite the run, pure laughs and a general sense of learning about friendships and or how to share. A must read and I think one must own it, so children can read it every day. A big thanks to Jeannette,the librarian, for sharing it with me.
Mary Mckelvin
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, food
OK Now!! Pancakes and French Toast...My two favorite breakfast food. Hmm.... or maybe I picked this book up because I was hungry at the time. To think food have a story to tell!!! I guess there is alot going on in the fridge. Ha!!!
Maxwell Rae
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thought the potato mash mountain was a hoot, but got scared during the bean avalanche. What a roller coaster!
Steph
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was such a cute story I thought this for some special kids in my life for Easter and just had to read it illustrations are awesome and the stories so cute I love it
Katie
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
This is essential for any elementary school library collection!
Calye
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious and delightful to read. Works well if you enjoy making silly voices (and honestly just as well if you don't)
Ellen
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
This is just a delightful read aloud perfect for kids who love a silly book. The art is lavishly detailed and there are lots of little discoveries to be made. It’s also an excuse to do not only a French accent but a heavy handed German one, so double win.
Sheryl
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Lady Pancake and Sir French Toast, the best of pals, are hanging out in the fridge when along comes their neighbor, Miss Brie. She tells them there is only one drop of syrup left. Suddenly, the best pals begin to race each other to the bottle of syrup - leaping over beets, getting stuck in chili, climbing up celery and scrambling through the fridge to reach the coveted last drop of syrup. Will competition destroy Lady Pancake and Sir French Toast's friendship?

Linda
A race through the refrigerator to get that last drop of maple syrup turns into a romp and a rout by Lady Pancake and Sir French Toast with hilarious things happening as they do their best to get ahead. Obstacles fill the pages as the race moves on like the broccoli forest and a chickpea avalanche, oh my! The rhyming couplets that tell the story romp along too, but sad to say, there is a surprise ending for these two competitors. For adults who don’t clean the refrigerator out so often this is a ...more
  • Peanut Butter & Brains: A Zombie Culinary Tale
  • Everyone Loves Bacon
  • How to Read a Story
  • Nerdy Birdy
  • Wild About Us!
  • Peanut Butter & Cupcake
  • Rot, the Cutest in the World!
  • Hotel Bruce
  • Give Me Back My Book!
  • Mary Had a Little Glam
  • My Pet Book
  • Frankencrayon
  • Xander's Panda Party
  • If You Ever Want to Bring an Alligator to School, Don't!
  • Mummy Cat
  • Edible Colors
  • Froodle
  • Friendshape
Josh Funk writes silly stories and somehow tricks people into publishing them as books - such as the Lady Pancake & Sir French Toast series (including The Case of the Stinky Stench and Mission Defrostable), How to Code a Sandcastle (and the upcoming sequel How to Code a Rollercoaster), It's Not Jack and the Beanstalk, Dear Dragon, Albie Newton, Pirasaurs!, Lost in the Library: A Story of Patie ...more

Lady Pancake & Sir French Toast (3 books)
  • The Case of the Stinky Stench (Lady Pancake & Sir French Toast, #2)
  • Mission Defrostable (Lady Pancake & Sir French Toast, #3)