Start by marking “The Chosen Queen (Queens of Conquest #1)” as Want to Read:
The Chosen Queen (Queens of Conquest #1)

The Chosen Queen

(Queens of Conquest #1)

1066: A date that changed the course of history; a date that changed her life forever

Love should be free - that is what Edyth Alfgarsdottir has always believed. As a young girl she witnessed Earl Harold standing barefoot in his handfast marriage to the beautiful Lady Svana and has yearned for her own love match ever since.

Amongst England's royal court, marriages are not of
Published May 7th 2015 by Macmillan (first published May 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Chosen Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chosen Queen

I remember reading about Edyth as a kid in Morgan Llewelyn’s Wing From Hastings. I was really young and so only remember vague impressions, like remembering that Harold was a big bully and her brothers were toads. It was a real treat to re-visit this era and these people specifically to get another look at them.

For a debut novel, this author has done a fantastic job. She took a lot of time in her world building and research of details. The reader gets a real sense for the sights, sounds, and sme
Liz Barnsley
I’m not usually a fan of Historical Fiction. I read the odd one here and there – with The Chosen Queen by Joanna Courtney I had been following along the authors story from concept to publication and so of course I HAD to read it and see the end result for myself. What I found was a beautifully written multi layered tale with a tremendously authentic sense of place and time and some characters that I fell heartily in love with.

Seriously the historical flavour in this novel is magnificent – you si
Roman Clodia
Jun 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
Set in the last years of Anglo-Saxon rule before the Norman conquest of 1066, this could have been an interesting look at a slightly less well-known historical era – but it’s tainted by re-writing history as a Mills & Boon romance, and offers no sense of time and place.

Very much in the Philippa Gregory strain of writing, there’s a lot of flouncy descriptions of dresses, jewellery and heaving milk-white breasts – while everyone thinks, speaks and understands the world through modern ideas and
Angela Smith
Apr 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, romance
Really enjoyed this book. The author is a fan of writers such as Elizabeth Chadwick and Phillipa Gregory, and I think she can take her place among those authors for page-turning historical novels. The pace, the setting as well as the characters made this a book that was hard to put down.

A fair amount of artistic licence is taken with the characters (real historical figures) but as far back as the Battle of Hastings, which was almost a 1,000 years ago, who kept a day to day journal? :P What the w
Ceri
Jun 03, 2015 rated it liked it
I received a copy through Goodreads First Reads.
Three and a half stars
A fascinating story and one I wasn't familiar with. I was worried, as I always am with female-centric historical fiction, that this would be too "chick-lit" for my taste but only in the saggy middle section did this suffer from what I call "Philippa Gregory Syndrome".

It's unavoidable really, when you're writing about a time when there was such a divide in the genders, and you have one main character, to get bogged down in the
Nat
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars!!!

Really enjoyed this book, now to hunt down the other 2 books in the trilogy.. thanks to Tracey at Carpe Librum for gifting this book in one of our meet up mystery swaps and for me being clever enough to pick it..
Tiya. (tarannum.xo)
Jan 09, 2017 rated it did not like it
0.5 stars!
How can anyone even like this book? A girl barely 16, about to give birth to her second child and that too with a husband who's 44 years old? What in hell is this shit?
DNF
Suze Lavender
May 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It's 1055 and fourteen year old Edyth is already quite mature for her age. She's curious about love and Harold and Svana are her great examples. She's impressed by their relationship and their faith that love will survive everything. They aren't officially married, but they have something much more special. Edyth wants to have a similar experience, she'd like to get married for love and not because of connections.

There's a lot of political unrest in England and Edyth's father is exiled. He trav
Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum
Jul 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Chosen Queen of the title is Edyth and the year is 1055, a decade before the Norman invasion of England in 1066, and yes, William the Conqueror.

Edyth is the granddaughter of Lady Godiva and dreams of marrying for love, but times were different 950 years ago and more often than not, women were married for political and monetary gain.

Edyth's father is close to King Edward (now known as Edward the Confessor), but after an angry outburst the family is exiled to Wales and the novel really takes o
M A Redhead
I am a huge fan of writers like Elizabeth Chadwick so I find it difficult to find other authors who write historical fiction that I like. Whilst this book was enjoyable I felt it lacked depth and the plot was very one-dimensional. The characters seemed rather simplistic and it seemed a rather rose tinted perspective of the time. An ok read but I probably wouldn't make an effort to read more by this author.
Jamie Goth
May 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great book with great characters and a whole side of the history that you don't get when it's just about the boys. Loved it.
Clemens Schoonderwoert
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This the 1st volume of the Queens of the Conquest trilogy is an absolute beauty of a book.
The book contains two extensive Family Trees at the beginning, and at the end the historical notes are incredibly well defined, and thus in my opinion the lady has researched this topic very thoroughly to be as accurate as she can be, and that really is a great achievement in itself.
The storytelling is of an absolute exquisite quality due to the fact that she's very much capable of combining historical figu
Lori
Aug 08, 2018 rated it liked it
I chose this book initially because it promised something a little different, being set in the pre-1066 era (which I find to be a less frequently used setting than the later-medieval period) and concerning a queen I don't recall ever reading about before. It is surprising that Edyth has not been used more often as a heroine in historical fiction, having been wife of Kind Harold.

I found the vast age difference between Edyth and her first husband, King Griffin of Wales, a bit problematic. I unders
Kiesha ~ 1Cheekylass
This turned out to be a great book. The first couple of hours was a bit romantic for me (for this to be a historical fiction) but it really turned out to be a great read. I could not stop listening. I loved Edyth and Svana! Such strong, amazing but different women who ultimately completed one man with love.

I enjoyed reading about Wales & the Welsh King--I will need to do some research about this time period re the Welsh. I admit that I was a bit disturbed by the age difference between betwe
Evie Pey
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another great read from this author. Book 1 of a trilogy and although I've not read them in order I don't think it matters (although the author may disagree).

Can't wait to read the next one.

Recommended to anyone who loves a good well written historical fiction.
Lois
Meh this book was OK. I'm interested in this time period, place and war yet this was just too romancey for me. The real action doesn't start until far into the story and too much attention is given to marriage style.
IlariaAlways
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: storici
Enorme delusione. Libro poco credibile, privo di una trama orizzontale, con una protagonista insulsa.
Ulteriore dimostrazione che non bisogna giudicare i libri dalla copertina.
Sophie
May 03, 2015 rated it really liked it

4.5

Posted in full http://www.reviewedthebook.co.uk/2015...

I can't claim to have much knowledge on the Battle of Hastings, the lead-up to the Battle of Hastings or any real history from that age (I wish I did know more) and so I can't vouch for the credibility of the events Joanna Courtney has chosen to work around in The Chosen Queen. What I can vouch for is the wonderful, mesmerising storytelling that had me hooked from page one, keeping me engrossed throughout the entire novel and still left
Lee
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a great read. Set in the year 1066 and based on the true story of the fight for the crown when the reigning king edward dies without a heir. Some parts are fiction but allows the story to be more interesting and captivating.
Ape
There's a lot of light historical fiction out there these days and so much of it seems to be about the Tudors. Don't get me wrong, fascinating time in history. But it's nice to come across a book that isn't about the Tudors. This one is about the run up to 1066, so really, we all know how this one is going to end. But I still found it a fun and engaging read. Yes, there's some artistic licence here, so it's one person's imaginings on what it would have been like. But for a bit of historical esca ...more
Lauren
Jun 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Despite being British, I have only heard of The Battle of Hastings, however never knew the figures behind it all or the reasons. History education is not what it once was. So I read this book woefully unprepared for the ending. I may not have liked how it ended but alas I cannot change history.

This is a masterpiece in my opinion, the fact that there is very little known about King Harold II, allows Joanna to build up the world in a way that is clearly hers but also true to history. I found myse
Julie
May 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love a good well written historical fiction story, and Joanna Courtney did a great job with this first novel in a series. We get to meet Edyth, only fourteen whose beauty catches the eye of a king. Her future once determined by her parents is about to change as they are forced out of their home and into distant Wales.

It was a joy to pick up this book and read as it was a world where so much could change so quickly. Full of battles, Vikings and never being sure of who your enemies were must hav
Kate
Apr 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Joanna Courtney knows how to pull on the heartstrings of her readers - this is a light yet deeply emotional read and the pages fly through the fingers. This is history romanticised and tidied up - normally a stumbling block for me but the author's enthusiasm and skill in telling a good story kept me reading late into the night. One point, though: don't read the family trees at the beginning, they give away an awful lot more than the date of the Battle of Hastings.

Becky Cresswell
Nov 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
Really wanted to like this book, but I didn't agree with the name changes, and it didn't feel like the 11th century...
Also, I swear knights were mentioned... surely this should be either huscarls or stallers??
Nicola Whelan
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Rachael Lucas
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A glorious, rich, epic story of love, friendship and sacrifice which will sweep you up and transport you to another time. I absolutely loved this and can't wait for the next book in the series.
Sonja Gieren

Erschienen: 21.08.2017

Von 5 Sternen

Weitere Informationen und Leseprobe:

Hallo meine Süßen💕,

Ich habe gerade dieses wirklich schöne Historische Buch von Joanna beendet.

Mir gefällt ihre Art zu schreiben, wirklich sehr gut. 💕
Es
Kati's Wonderland
Als ich vor einigen Wochen durch Zufall auf dieses Buch gestoßen bin, stand für mich schon fest: Das muss ich haben! Es spielt im Mittelater, es spielt in England und Wales und es beinhaltet eine Liebesgeschichte.
Mehr brauchte es nicht, um mich zu überzeugen.

Und genau wie ich es erwartet habe, das Buch war einfach klasse.
Es hat mich von der ersten Seite an mit in seine Welt gerissen und mich nicht mehr losgelassen. Der Schreibstil der Autorin ist fesselnd und spannend, zieht sich dabei entgege
Jasmin
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gleich zu beginn der Geschichte, lernt man Edyth kenne. Sie ist die Tochter eines Earls und wächst behütet am englischen Hof auf. Mit ihren 14 Jahren ist sie süß und naiv. Hat aber den Drang, die Welt für sich zu entdecken. Oft musste ich über ihre Naivität schmunzeln. Doch dann wendet sich das Schicksal plötzlich gegen ihre Familie und man kann sehen, wie sie an jedem Hindernis und an jedem Ereignis wächst. Man erlebt wie sie Erwachen wird und zu eine selbstbewussten und starken Frau wird. Wahr ...more
Lily
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was going to give this a 3.5-4 because the simpering love story between a 42 year old warrior man and a 14 year old virgin Lady was...nauseating.
Look, I know that was normal for the times, and I myself had a relationship with a man 18 years older than me at one point....But the way they were written as equals read false to me.
Also, Svana basically telling Edyth to marry Harold was unbelievable. Maybe I'm not a good enough person, but to have no jealousy AT ALL? That's inhuman, almost.
The fac
Around the Year i...: The Chosen Queen, by Joanna Courtney 1 13 Apr 21, 2016 12:02PM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Jun 09, 2015 01:51PM
  • Wife to the Bastard
  • The Price of Blood (The Emma of Normandy Trilogy, #2)
  • The Morning Gift
  • Queen of Bedlam (Georgian Queens, #1)
  • The Marriage of Meggotta
  • Templar Silks
  • Margaret Pole: The Countess in the Tower
  • The Forbidden Queen
  • The Seventh Son
  • Sun Horse, Moon Horse
  • Crown in Candlelight
  • A Time to Remember (Rivenshaw, #1)
  • Freya 800 AD
  • Within the Hollow Crown: A Reluctant King, a Desperate Nation, and the Most Misunderstood Reign in History
  • The People's Queen
  • Venus in Winter
  • I Serve: A Novel of the Black Prince
  • The Sister Queens
My first literary accolade was a creative writing prize at primary school and from that point on I wanted to be a novelist. I was always reading as a child and often made up stories for my brother and sister on long car journeys. I was also a huge Enid Blyton fan and by ten I was writing my own (doubtless terrible) boarding school novels. Perhaps inevitably, I took my degree in English literature ...more

Queens of Conquest (3 books)
  • The Constant Queen (Queens of Conquest #2)
  • The Conqueror's Queen (Queens of Conquest #3)