Start by marking “Отсъствието на героя” as Want to Read:
Отсъствието на героя

Отсъствието на героя

Изключителната писателска плодовитост на Чарлс Буковски оставя значителен брой от творбите му неиздавани в книга. "Отсъствието на героя" събира част от тези неиздавани истории и есета, за да ги предложи, както на страстните фенове на "стария мръсник", така и на нови читатели, представяйки им голямото жанрово разнообразие на творчеството му.

Станалите класически за марката
Published 2014 by Фама (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Отсъствието на героя, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Отсъствието на героя

Start your review of Отсъствието на героя
Arthur Graham
May 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great title, great book. Unlike so many posthumous releases, which either scrape the bottom of the barrel or just trot out more of the same, this one gives the lie to all those critics who came to regard Buk as a one-trick pony while he was still alive. Plenty of previously unpublished selections here, many of which will surprise ardent admirers of the dirty old man, while at the same time reminding us why we came to admire him in the first place.
Solita
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OK, I don't know if this book, published posthumously, is actually "amazing", but IMHO Charles Buskowski, aka the Buk, IS amazing. Every time I re-read Bukowski, I am amazed. The Buk was brilliant, just f'ng brilliant. I absolutely agree with his point of view. How can I not love someone who articulates my own feelings and perceptions of this world? I meet too many Bukowksi fans who first and foremost think of him as a drunk, fans who are f'ing drunks themselves, because they want to be Bukowski ...more
Dane Cobain
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I never know how to categorise Bukowski’s prose because it’s technically semi–autobiographical and therefore counts as both fiction and non-fiction. I also always feel like it’s important to say that Bukowski’s work always makes me think about separating the art from the artist. He wasn’t the best of guys, but his work is interesting.

Absence of the Hero isn’t my favourite of Bukowski’s collections, but mainly because it doesn’t really feel cohesive. It’s like it doesn’t know what it’s trying to
Paul Maher Jr.
Jan 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Charles Bukowski, the ever-prolific even in death American novelist and poet, continues to satisfy the insatiable hunger of his vast cult-audience for more, not with bottom drawer rejected pieces, but with significant work that instills into his canon an ever-growing indication of his true importance as a man of letters. The posthumous shadow he casts across American lit only continues to loom larger with each passing year. Editor David Calonne has ably compiled 39 previously-uncollected stories ...more
Jason
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, 2019
Wow! This collection kicked off with a bang of a story and ended on a new personal favorite Bukowski piece. There were a few pieces that I didn't care for, mostly the ones where he's reviewing or discussing other writers. Highly recommended to any Bukowski fan.
Antonio Depietro
I cant believe there is still Bukowski to discover and love. I just learned some things about the human condition and isn't that what great art is about? (not for the faint of heart)
Robert Waterman
It was typical Bukowski. You love him or hate him and I love him...lol. But it was more of a collection of his short stories that went to the underground press. But it also was a good collection of rare works that I had not seen before and I've read many of his books. Worth seeking out if you like his writing.
Daniel
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The best thing about Buk's longevity, despite his well-known habits, is the seemingly neverending output of uncollected material, which simply never gets old. Furthermore, never ceases to satisfy. Such is the case with this book.
Hanna Abi Akl
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another Bukowski masterpiece. What's thrilling in this one is the inside take we are treated into Bukowski's entourage of writers and poets and bums. We are also introduced more closely to the man behind the myth and his habits. A necessary read in the Bukowski canon.
Vesna
Apr 10, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked his view on how society transforms kids into losers without their own thought. The rest of the book is full of references to other writers and he lacks deeper perception of people and relationships, although maybe he was simply surroanded with poor spirited people.
Benjamin
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Purchased at Old Books on Front St. Wilmington NC

A very enjoyable read over the course of this week. A solid posthumous collection.
Tom
Mar 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The usual postmortem anthology of Bukowski's stories ad essays: some are good, some are crappy, and a lot have bits of both.
Silvia
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I came here for the essays which did not disappoint.
City Lights Booksellers & Publishers
"Charles Bukowski, prophet of the lost, deacon of the mean and insane. . . . In Absence of the Hero, City Lights’ second posthumous volume of uncollected stories and essays, we’re given samples spanning almost his entire career. There are moments of brilliance and flickers of light." --Karl Travis, Chico News and Review

"When Bukowski sat down at his trusted Underwood typewriter to 'play the piano,' it was the only time in his life he felt immortal, with every word painstakingly chosen and direct
Larper
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My friend recommended this book to me because she said I am "Croatian Bukowski". After reading through it I see why. Shameless depiction of sex and primitive urges of a man, blunt descriptions of desires and wishful descriptions of women's desire.

However, not once in a million years would I get a creative burst for "The Rapist's story". I laughed my ass off reading it. Stroke of genius.
Arthur Cravan
I don't know why my library has this book, but it's Bukowski, so I got it. It's volume TWO of his UNCOLLECTED works, so I don't know how much I was expecting. Still, somehow, better than this... but it's all good.

The longer pieces towards the end started making up for some of the dullness I'd felt earlier. Having said that, a lot of the book is samey. To be honest, it gave me a headache at times. Buk's world...
I found the title piece amazingly dismal. Maybe I missed something. It's interesting h
c.vance c.vance
meh---
it's the old stuff by Buk; better than the stuff written when old--- but it is all personality and little craft. if you like the personality of the man (and have not had enough of it already) then this book is a decent addition to the already overwhelming list of books.

if you're looking for some of the grand wordsmithing that came with the older stuff, it's not here.

there are, however, rewrites of old stories and articles from NOTES OF A DIRTY OLD MAN that were not in the other City Lights
David
May 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This has some good bits in it, but also some stuff that I wasn't as thrilled with. Had it been anyone else, it would have been fine...but this was Bukowski. I know that if it was his best stuff, it wouldn't have been uncollected at this point...but still. Some of the rants and stuff are just a bit repetitive of some of his other stuff. If I was pointing someone to Bukowski, this isn't where I'd start. Still, even knowing all this, I still wouldn't have missed it. It's still Bukowski and I'm stil ...more
FoxClouds
I struggled with this book. I loved Volume 1, but this one turned out to be a way more messy, confusing, and gory. Lets just say that I found it rather difficult to stomach some of the themes of the stories. I read only half of them and skimmed some others, but after having it around for 3 weeks, I realized that I am not going to finish it.

So here we go. Wish I could say I loved it as much as I did Volume 1, but alas.
Eryk
Mar 30, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Eryk by: City Lights website
There are no stories/essays in this book over 10-15 pages, but in those short pages, the Buk is able to provide such memorable characters. The stories are along the same lines as his poetr, but offer "another" side of his inner-self. Higly recommended for the true Buk fanatic, as well as someone just starting out on the journey of his wonderul material.
Steven Bukowski
I know it's a collection of previously uncollected short stories and reviews, but I think there was a reason these were not collected: they are very Bukowski, but some stories are lacking that certain endearing quality about his work. However, the reviews provide more insight and humor into how Bukowski thought about his contemporaries, which was interesting to hear.
Anthony Cristofani
Felt the need to go back to Buk as he was the first to teach me what's become painfully clear of late; or doesn't matter what books someone reads--it matters if they live up to them. Most use great artists and writers as patches on their identity flag. Buk reminds is w unflinching unparalleled honesty how cowardly nearly all human beings are.
Cevat
Jan 27, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite, again, its excessively sexual content, in this book Bukowski has great crituques on the presence literature styles, including scholarly literature. This is the first book,i am impressed by bukowski.
Matthew
Sep 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Can't go wrong with Bukowski..although it does seem like they are starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel. Buk often wrote the same story many times...there is nothing in here as good as The Most Beautiful Woman in Town..but his literary criticism is very interesting.
Jonas Samuelle
May 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grimy, bizarre, complex, and mesmerizing. Bukowski across several decades, working his dark magic and confessing without pride or shame.
Daniel Walsh
Nov 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great set of short stories. Some of my favorites.
Alberto G.
Apr 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tough, direct, pretty close and this way to tell the stories that seems you had been there.
Any day, anyway, any story.
Maddalena
Sexually obscene, but interesting,full of wisdom!
Will
Dec 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature
I have loved bukowski since college. I honestly was expecting this to be like many other posthumous works, but I read it anyway. It was de
Brian Pappas
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Part two of the series. These stories are filled with the Bukowski flair and sometime volcanic eruption. Great book.
Excerpt in Playboy! 1 9 Mar 09, 2010 04:05PM

• Magarìa
  • Fantozzi
  • L'arte di essere fragili: Come Leopardi può salvarti la vita
  • Lo straniero
  • Bianca come il latte, rossa come il sangue
  • Christ Stopped at Eboli: The Story of a Year
  • Il vecchio e il mare
  • Charles Bukowski: Locked in the Arms of a Crazy Life
  • Missione Morfeo (Cenere Vol. 1)
Henry Charles Bukowski (born as Heinrich Karl Bukowski) was a German-born American poet, novelist and short story writer. His writing was influenced by the social, cultural and economic ambience of his home city of Los Angeles.It is marked by an emphasis on the ordinary lives of poor Americans, the act of writing, alcohol, relationships with women and the drudgery of work. Bukowski wrote thousands ...more