Start by marking “The Contest (The Contest #1)” as Want to Read:

The Contest (The Contest #1)

When college student Madi Ryan wins a contest she didn't enter, she reluctantly accepts a weekend date with gorgeous singer/songwriter Jake Morgan. Determined to find something wrong with him, Madi sets out to prove he's not all he appears to be.

Haunted by mistakes, Jake Morgan lives with a past that prevents him from having a future... until Madi Ryan walks into his life.
Published October 11th 2014 by Dawn L. Chiletz

To ask other readers questions about The Contest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Contest

Brandy Moore
Jan 06, 2015 Brandy Moore rated it it was ok
This book is for ages 15 and below. Extremely juvenile. It picked up a little at the 75% mark but not enough for it to be considered a good book. I just feel accomplished I finished it. Yay me.
Beth
Oct 18, 2014 Beth rated it really liked it
3.5 Puzzle Piece Stars

Yep, sweet. This is a sweet book. Not too much steam. A touch of angst. And lots of sweet.

Madi is a college junior. She works hard at school and at work. She knows people. She can see what makes them tick. She may be a touch overboard on finding faults with people. Especially guys. Madi is really good at finding faults with guys.

People are like puzzles...Sometimes you find one that's really challenging and interesting so you keep working on it, knowing that if you give up
Tsukushi
This one was totally amazing. NO KIDDING. Just a little Colleen Hoover-wannabe-thingy, but completely understandable. The dialogues were really good and entertaining. All in all, REALLY GOOD.
Donna ~ The Romance Cover
Waiting to Lose (The Contest #2) by Dawn L Chiletz
3.5 stars and 4 stars!!!

“She walked into his life in a contest and now he had to compete with his heart and his head to keep her away.”

So, I can now say I have read every single Dawn L Chiletz book, I started with The Fabulist, then read Confessions of a Carpool Captive and have worked backwards to this authors debut books, The Contest and its sequel, Waiting to Lose.

“You’re my steak, too.”

One thing that was ab
Christine Alibutud
Jul 01, 2015 Christine Alibutud rated it it was ok
Ugh. It kind of started it out well for me, but then I found myself eye-rolling one too many times, and I just lost interest. Sorry.

1.5 stars!
description
Mihlean
Aug 18, 2015 Mihlean rated it really liked it
[Second reread: February, 2017]
[First read: August, 2015]
Meg Murphy seppi
Dec 06, 2014 Meg Murphy seppi rated it it was amazing
Was a great book!! I started it and finished it in 1 day because I couldn't put it down! Stayed up until 5:30 the morning knowing I had to be up at 7:00, I liked it that much!! Great Job Dawn!!!
Mandy
Mar 03, 2015 Mandy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book!! Really good story and major sweet moments. I can't wait to read the sequel! And I just noticed that it was published on my Birthday. That's even more awesome lol!
Renee
Nov 20, 2016 Renee rated it liked it
Goodreads-we need the option to give half stars! I would give The Contest, which happens to be Dawn Chiletz's debut novel, 3.5 stars. I have read two other books by her before this one and absolutely loved them. I can honestly say that her writing improved greatly since writing her first book. Jake Morgan is a famous singer/songwriter that just so happens to be quite popular with the ladies. Madi is a college student who happens to win a contest to meet Jake. Madi is not the crazed fan like Jake ...more
Dawn
Jul 19, 2017 Dawn rated it it was amazing
What a fabulous story. I found myself not wanting to put this book down. Dawn Chiletz is a wonderful story teller. I love the stories she tells. I was fortunate to get to meet her at an author signing and bought all of her books. This is the third book of hers that I have read and can't wait to start Waiting to Lose.
Carro Herdegen
Jun 27, 2017 Carro Herdegen rated it it was ok
The sexual content was more than I wanted to read, so I skipped a few descriptive scenes.
For most of the book, both leading characters are made out to be angels, which became less interesting to read about as I kept reading. Then, when the flaws and conflict came out, I felt like they should have been a bigger part of the story, rather than coming in suddenly.
Zeia Jameson
May 07, 2015 Zeia Jameson rated it really liked it
The Contest is Dawn L. Chiletz's debut novel, and I have to say for a first time Indie publication, it was impressive!

I quickly was drawn to the personalities of the two characters, Madi and Kendra. Their strong friendship reels you in right away. I am always into a good storyline with friends who always have each others' backs. You have this in The Contest. Not just with Madi and Kendra, but you also find out later on that Jake has a few good people in his camp as well that are trustworthy and
Jennifer Dale
Oct 19, 2016 Jennifer Dale rated it really liked it
A really good simple read. It had everything: nervousness, attitude, humor with lots of LOL moments, a little angst, confusion, simplicity, character development, dual POV, 1st person read along with a mix of third person and prob more.

I was searching for a "celebrity" read and came across this. It had pretty good reviews, the length in story was reasonable (i don't like reading anything under 200 kindle pages... ) and the synopsis seemed simple and interesting. Quickly downloaded.

My thoughts: T
Callie
So here's the deal: the writing isn't the greatest, the plot is a bit contrived, but it was really cute and it made me giggle a lot. I enjoyed it quite a bit.
A Beautiful Book Blog
Jul 27, 2015 A Beautiful Book Blog rated it it was amazing
I give this book 4.5 Stars. This book was so amazing. I enjoyed the writing, loved the comical banter, loved Jake and Madi undeniable chemistry. You could feel the electricity the minute these two were in each other's company. This book was an up and down ride of emotions with these two and I loved every minute of it.

Madi, who can not like Madi she is friendly, smart, sweet, successful and funny. She was probably my favorite part of the book. Her and Kendra were a riot, they had my LOL. It was r
The Book Avenue
Dec 29, 2014 The Book Avenue rated it liked it

review

The Contest is Dawn L Chiletz first book and isn’t without its flaws. The story concept was spot on. A reluctant fan, a dream date, and a closed off singer/songwriter have the bones for one entertaining ride. This was a long one and at times I found myself struggling to push through.

Alicia at Mean Girls Luv Books
The Contest is a cute, flirty, quick read. It had me hooked from the beginning and I enjoyed every minute of it. Madi wins a contest to go on a date with a famous singer, Jake Morgan. At first she doesn't believe that she won. It takes some convincing by her friend Kendra before she actually believes she won the Jake Morgan contest, which Kendra entered for her. Madi likes to stick to what she's comfortable with and used to. Going to LA to meet a famous guy is WAY out of her range of comfort. Ho ...more
Amy
Jun 23, 2015 Amy rated it really liked it
Dawn L. Chiletz debut novel, The Contest, was such an enjoyable read! I couldn't get enough of Jake and Maddi. Their connection was instantaneous but at the same time progressed at such a real pace that you didn't feel like it was one of those unrealistic 'love at first sight' type of situations. Their passion was a bit slow to get there but once it hit, it hit BIG!

Amy
Dec 12, 2014 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I think it's important to say right here that it's very rare for me to pick up a book where the leading man is a sexy rock star. I l
ByoBook Club
Jun 03, 2015 ByoBook Club rated it really liked it
Not your average rock star…

Madi Ryan’s best friend knew she loved the singer Jake Morgan’s music. Signing her up for a fan contest Madi never expected to be chosen but there she was, in L.A. hanging out like a fangirl. Jake was more than she expected and the instant attraction quickly grew. The feelings seemed to be mutual and as they spent more time with each other love really seemed to be flourishing. Unexpected events caused Jake to question what really was between them as his past intrudes o
Nerdy Dirty & Flirty
Jun 18, 2015 Nerdy Dirty & Flirty rated it really liked it
Not your average rock star…

Petra Gleason
Sep 14, 2015 Petra Gleason rated it really liked it
4.5 star read. I loved this story. Honestly, a lot of times the rocker series just end up frustrating me because of all the cheating and shadiness that seems to be such a big part of these books. I did not get this from Madi and Jake. I like both of them! Jake was not the typical womanizer manwhore. Not saying he was a saint, but he was suprisingly normal for a rock star. Madi was just a fun character. I do think she gave him a lot more leeway than she should have, I wanted her to just make a de ...more
Becca
Apr 26, 2015 Becca rated it it was ok
Some SPOILERS

Now I am not one who writes reviews often but this book greatly disappointed me. Let me start by saying I LOVED Madi! She was a great main character and I instantly liked her as well as Kendra and Ang. The only person I didn't like was Jake. No matter how much I tried throughout the book he constantly disappointed me. Now for him being half the book... obviously this was a problem. SPOILER ALERT: he was continually saying he didn't like her throughout the whole book when it was so o
Pamela Carrion
Dec 07, 2014 Pamela Carrion rated it liked it

Jake and Madi were cute. Playing a game of cat and mouse I’m not sure either intended on, they found comfort in each other. I enjoyed the interactions between Jake and Madi, and found secondary characters interesting
Cat
Oct 19, 2016 Cat rated it really liked it
The premise behind this book is a great one and one Id guess a lot of women have probably wished for in their lives. Meet your rock star crush and become buddies with him and fall in love! And this book was doing an awesome job of that. I
was excited to pick up the book and keep reading the entire way through (stupid work gets in the way of my reading time). The only reason I didnt give 5 stars is because I was frustrated with the ending that seemed too drawn out along with some unrealistic dial
Cathlin
Nov 09, 2014 Cathlin rated it really liked it
Super cute and funny. I really enjoyed Jake and Madi's story. Some parts were definitely unexpected and went a little deeper than just surface level at several different points(which I loved and was all for). Although I do have to say this one should come with a warning label that says, "ripe with sexual tension and frustration," because it took FOREVER for Jake and Madi to figure out (well, more so Jake) what we knew all along...that they were perfect for eachother. Definitely a great, easy, ro ...more
Angi
Oct 20, 2016 Angi rated it really liked it
This was very good! I enjoyed almost everything about it. Madi was great, Jake was as well. There were a ton of good supporting characters. The idea for the story was great, very fun and creative. I wish that their journey had been around the world a bit more- most of it took place in LA and I was hoping to have more interaction between them during the tour. I'm curious about the security guard though... we didn't get any clarity on that front. Great book!
adnke
Jan 17, 2015 adnke rated it it was amazing
Awesome

When Madi wins a contest that has her spending the weekend with a the talented rock star Jake Morgan Madi nor Jake imagined that that weekend could end up being what they both need. Jake is stuck in past hurts and tries to keep his feelings for Madi away. How long can either one resist each other.
Nikki
Feb 29, 2016 Nikki rated it it was amazing
Wow, what a story! I don't think I've ever felt such anticipation while reading a book. I loved all of the sweet little moments between Jake and Madi as their relationship developed. The characters were amazing - I love Jake Morgan! And Madi was pretty great too. I absolutely loved this book! I'm so glad the 2nd one is already out so I can read it right away!
Courtney
Originally, I only started this book because the author (Dawn) will be at a book signing I'm attending this weekend, but this book surprised me. Dawn, I really loved your characters and premise...who doesn't dream of winning a contest to meet your favorite singer? I had all the feels throughout this book and I loved the sweetness. I can't wait to read the next book in the series!
  • Wonderwall (Love Me, I'm Famous, #1)
  • All the Glory
  • Rush (Pandemic Sorrow, #2)
  • Fan Girl (Los Rancheros #1)
  • Living the Dream (Whitman University, #5)
  • Edible: The Sex Tape
  • Rocked: Joe and Liss (Rocked #1-3)
  • Sinner: Free Preview (First 3 Chapters) (Shiver)
  • Loving a Lush (Lush #2)
  • The Accidental TV Star (Accidental #2)
  • The Pretty App (App, #2)
  • Never Me
  • With the Band (Luminescent Juliet, #3)
  • A Game Worth Watching (Worth Series, #1)
  • Secret Life (RVHS Secrets #2)
  • Kissing in Cars (Kiss and Make Up #1)
  • Disney High School Musical 3 Senior Year: The Junior Novel (Junior Novelization)
  • Swoon
Dawn L. Chiletz is the author of The Contest, Waiting to Lose, Enough, Can't You See, The Fabulist, and Confessions of a Carpool Captive. She currently resides in Illinois with her husband, two boys, and three dogs. When she's not binge writing or reading, Dawn drinks large amounts of coffee and checks Facebook instead of doing laundry.
More about Dawn L. Chiletz...

The Contest (2 books)
  • Waiting to Lose (The Contest #2)

“Singing for someone is like showing them a part of your soul.  It’s letting someone see the deepest part of who you are. ” 1 likes
“Did you just snort at me?” he said in a chuckle. “Yes I did. Snorting while laughing has been handed down from generation to generation in my family. It’s genetic. I can’t help it.” 0 likes