Start by marking “Unwilling (Unwilling #1)” as Want to Read:
Unwilling (Unwilling #1)

Unwilling

(Unwilling #1)

Neely McIntire’s dreams warn her about the future but will not protect her from the danger hiding in plain sight. On graduation night, she plans to tell her best friend, Hayden Nelson, that she's in love with him. Instead, they argue. Neely's hurt feelings leave her vulnerable, giving her secret admirer, Andrew Huckley, the opportunity to put his mother’s monstrous plan in ...more
Published November 11th 2014 by Blue Tulip Publishing (first published November 10th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Unwilling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unwilling

Start your review of Unwilling (Unwilling #1)
C.C. Ravanera
Oct 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was very excited to read this book since I've read it's synopsis. So I started reading it as soon as I got it with that thought that I'll read a bit then continue reading another night.

Well! I read the entire thing in 3 hours! I honestly couldn’t put it down. The story just took me away and I just had to know what was going to happen next after every chapter I finished! It started of like a typical teen/new adult love story where boy secretly loves girl and girl secretly loves boy. Then there’
Mandy
Oct 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Normally a paranormal romance isn't something I'd choose. But, in the case of Unwilling, I sure am glad that I did. This is one of those books that you think, as soon as I get to a good stopping point I'll go in and cook the kids some dinner, and they end up with pizza.

From the beginning the promise of a sweet romance between Neely and Hayden kept me going. Neely's time spent with Andrew at their graduation party is what hooked me. I quickly became attached to the main characters. Even "McCreepy
Cranky - The Book Curmudgeon

***** 5 Cranky Stars *****

“Unwilling” was a surprise read for me. I knew nothing about the book or the author until I attended a writer’s conference. Wood spoke so passionately about her book, I just had to read it. I was rewarded greatly.

This beautiful written story was like a modern version of “Beauty and the Beast” meets “Alice in Wonderland”. The tale she spun was so creative and intriguing.

Hayden was my favorite character. He was a loyal best friend and even better boyfriend. Aunt Gee Gee,
Home Is Where the Wine Is Book Blog

My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Wow where do I start?  Not at all what I expected!  The story was refreshing original.  I’ll admit there were times I wanted to throw the book in a corner and poke it with a stick to make sure it was dead and couldn’t get me.

I’d finish one chapter and be like “OMG I need to know what is going to freaking happen next!”  Then I’d finish another chapter and again be like “OMG I need to know what is going to freaking happen!!!!” lol.  You get the picture.  I was on the ed

Stephanie Mutone
Oct 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Graduation was supposed to be the night Neely told Hayden, her best friend, that she loved him. Who knew the nightmares she'd been having for the last four years were about to come true.
Swept away into a her real-life nightmare, she is led to believe she loves the one guy she really despised, Andrew McCreepy.
Can Hayden find her? Can he help her remember her real-life, not the one that Andrew and his evil mother have led her to believe is real?
Will she ever break free from the nightmares or has h
M
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am not an avid paranormal romance fan, but this book was amazing! K.D. Wood has an exceptional voice that will hook the reader from the first chapter. The relationship with Hayden/Neely/Andrew was an excellent triangle, which had me completely enthralled the entire book. She also paints a very vivid picture of the settings and emotions of each character, so you feel like you are right there with them. The book also had a lot of humor mixed in, so you were able to experience some comic relief a ...more
Karen Sullivan
Shelves: goodies
Unwilling will take you down a twisted path and will make you shiver, then make you cry and want to hug Hayden. A gripping, throat choking read. I was hooked at the start and couldn't stop reading. KD, my spine is still tingling. What a great read!
Linda
Be prepared to be shocked, thrilled and have your heart wrenched when you read it.

"Oh my God," Mrs. McIntire screamed. She'd dropped to her knees, the dark sand and water soaking into her jeans. "Neely!"
Mr. McIntire held his wife while she screeched her daughter's name over and over. "She's going to be fine, sweetie," he kept saying.
I really wanted to believe him.
"Is she on the other side?" I paced the shore. I couldn't see anything except a piece of driftwood lying at the water's edge. "I do
Kira Decker
Recommends it for: Fantasy, Paranormal, Romance, New Adult/YA readers
I was lucky enough to get an ARC of UNWILLING, but I was chomping on the bit to start reading this book!

UNWILLING takes you on an adventure of intrigue, mystery, and paranormal fantasy all mixed together with some real southern living, myths and legends, and just enough truth to make you, if not become a believer, at least wonder – could this happen?

You get not one, but two stories that intertwine like the leaves of a forbidden forest – drawing you in and never letting go. The angst starts in ch
Amber
Apr 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unwilling by K.D. Wood is a paranormal story unlike any I have ever read. It is intriguing and inventive. This book really surprised me and I really didn't know what I was getting into. From the beginning I was left saying what the heck is going on in this book and then the ending where I was actually a little freaked out. This book seemed like it should be in the horror section as well but it also mythology. And it's well known that some mythology is downright disturbing at times. The New Zeala ...more
Up All Night Book Addict
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews, read-2016
I was apprehensive when I first decided to read this book. This isn't my preferred genre, and I generally don't get into fantasy books too much. I didn't want to not like it. I am glad that I chose to pick it up.

This is a very unique and intriguing story. The fantasy element of this story is just that, an element. It isn't the whole book. I was pleasantly turning the pages from start to finish in this one. Between the sadness that consumed me at times and the smiles that I held during other time
Undeniably Addicted to Books
Dec 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow this book. I have never read anything quite like this before and it was fascinating. I was literally up all night reading because I just couldn't put it down. It snagged me right at the beginning making me all kinds of curious about how this story was going to go. I honestly never could have predicted what I got.

We have our three main characters in Neely, Hayden and Andrew. Recent high school grads Neely and Hayden have been friends for what seems like forever but Neely's always been a litt
Carole
Oct 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this book from the author for an honest review. And honestly, it's the best book by a new author I have read in a long time. I had no idea what the book was about when I first started reading it. But that didn't really matter, because from the beginning, I was drawn into the story and I couldn't stop reading if I wanted to. This is a story about unrequited love and obsession with a little mystical folklore thrown in to make it even more interesting.
PageTurner
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, pnr-uf, arcs
OMG!!! I've got to say that this book is unbelievably awesome!!!! I am so impressed with the writing. Some of the scenes were totally creepy -which is a good thing since not much creeps me out:) The relationship between Hayden and Neely was so sweet and heartbreaking and genuine and the setting for the story was perfect. I loved it! Go read this book NOW! Will write more later once I process everything. An ARC was provided to me by the author in exchange for an honest review.
Jennifer Landrum
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing! I literally read it in one night, I COULD NOT PUT IT DOWN!! I am not usually a paranormal romance reader, but I am So glad I read this book!!! It has just enough Twilight to draw you in, but also just enough home town to make you believe it!!! Having known KD most of my life, I am very proud of her!! I can't wait for the next book she releases!!!
buzy_reading
Unwilling was about Neely who dreamed about monsters. These dreams were referenced in italics between some chapters. Those dreams added a paranormal element to the story. The creature in the dreams seemed mythical. The mythical creature was part of a Mâori tribal legend.

The story was written in alternating points of view between Hayden and Neely. The story was primarily about Andrew and Neely yet Andrew's point of view was not included. The dreams or nightmares that occurred could have been the
Sara Oxton
Apr 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unwilling by K.D Wood a fantasy bringing four-star read. Unwilling is the first book in the Unwilling series. This is the 2nd book by this author I have read, and I have enjoyed them both, I plan on reading more as I find the writing both passionate and intense and so wonderfully written that they take you away to another world. This is a different genre that the other book I read, but both are equally well written.
Unwilling takes us on a journey of romance, passion, drama, angst and also takes
Paige Green
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 4/5

Genre: YA Paranormal Romance

Recommended Age: 15+ (slightly mature scenes)

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. This did not sway my opinion of the book in any way.

Neely McIntire's dreams warn her about the future but will not protect her from the danger hiding in plain sight. On graduation night, she plans to tell her best friend, Hayden Nelson, that she's in love with him. Instead, they argue. Neely's hurt feelings leave her vulnerable, giving her sec
Megan
Jan 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Set in small town Mississippi, Neely is the average girl next door whose focus is on young love and life after high school. Hayden is Neely’s best friend and he’s every bit as anxious to start his life after graduation. But the pair, each, have a secret to tell each other—and it takes the entire length of the book to find out what both are dying to say.

Unwilling is a book that should come with a warning label. At the outset, its main characters Neely and Hayden seem normal enough, until they beg
Tarra
Jan 31, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
Holy Smokes! What did I just read?! This book really surprised me, because from the book blurb I NEVER would have guessed the direction it would take. 3.5 Stars!!

I don't even know how to talk about this book without giving away major spoilers. And I don't want to do that! I'm so glad I didn't read any spoilers, because if I had I may not have wanted to read this book at all. If I had known the paranormal element it was about, I would have immediately thought "B-movie" and would never have picked
Ellen Stucker
Oct 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I recently finished this book. I was given an arc & asked to read for an honest review. Let me begin by saying that though I don't typically read this genre, I have read some of the latest paranormal series such as "Divergent," "the Hunger Games," & "Twilight." It is becoming obvious to me that I need to add many more books in this category to my reading repertoire, especially if they are as well-written & as entertaining as this debut novel.
This love story blew me away as it's so easy to fall
The Gypsy Emmy
Apr 11, 2015 rated it did not like it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for honest review from Lovers of Paranormal, a group on Goodreads.

This book was extremely hard for me to read. It was such a great idea with such awful execution. The writing was so choppy and very hard to follow. I was so confused about the plot and what was going on where throughout most of this book. Characters appeared out of nowhere, such as Neely's brother Kyle and both Andrew's brother and sister. And I'm still not exactly sure how any of the so-
Natalie
Feb 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
I don't generally read books with paranormal elements (I exclude BDB here because they are stand alone f%@* awesome and I want it to be real) but thought I'd give it ago having followed this author on twitter and because her dog is so cute!

Anyway, I surprising really enjoyed it. I'll never look at my Kiwi friends and work colleagues the same again though.

I do like YA books if there is a great story line and not some standard college style romance of " I hate him, I love him , I hate him again"
Boundless Book Reviews
This book was a crazy, wild, and emotional ride. It was a very good book, but at the same time it was very different. Neely is a young girl who is graduating and troubled by strange dreams. She disappears the night of her graduation and after that she is a completely different person.

This book had me to the point that I did not want to put it down. I just wanted to know what was wrong with Neely. I was so wrapped up in the story and the lives of the characters. I cried quite a few times because
Char ღ Denae
Unique. Definitely unique.

I've never read a book even close to this one. It had me wondering what was going on several times and definitely kept me intrigued. I admit there were times when I thought it was a bit 'out there' but not in a bad way. More like, 'Where the heck is this going from here? I gotta' keep reading!' It was really hard to put down, and there may have been some dishes and laundry piled up when I was done.

I received a copy of this book through the Lovers of Paranormal group on
Jessica Call
Mar 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!

I'm incredibly speechless! This is unlike anything else you have ever read! It's the coolest thing I've ever read! Takes paranormal to a whole nother level! It was a jaw dropping read! It was beautiful and a little shocking but amazingly well done! This is something I can't explain except to tell you that it is a serious must read so you can see for yourself! I highly enjoyed it and hope to catch the next book because I gotta see how this plays out!
Juli
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!

Interesting story! I was totally wrapped up in the book! Ms. Wood had me so intrigued through the whole story! A strange and intriguing story! Very suspenseful and it kept me on edge! Worth the read!
Winter Sophia Rose
Nov 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Captivating, Intriguing & Heart Wrenching! I Loved This Page-Turner! ...more
Christine
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Amazing book. I didn't expect the storyline to be like that! Totally sucked me in and couldn't stop reading.
Chantelle Smith
Neely McIntire has been having the same dreams for the past fours, but only now has she been seeing them from a different POV. Unknown to her, her dreams are actually warning her about the future, but they are not about to protect her from the danger that in play that is hiding in plain sight. On graduation night, she has plans to finally tell her best friend Hayden Nelson how she really feels about him, but things don’t go according to plan, causing them to argue and cause tension between the t ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Lovers of Paranor...: R2R {656} Unwilling OPEN 15 121 Feb 27, 2017 06:43PM

• Breathe (The Destiny Series, #1)
  • Transfusion (Transfusion Saga #1)
  • Limits
  • The Glow of the Dragon's Heart (Harem of Fire, #0.5)
  • Captured by the Pirate Laird (Highland Force, #1)
  • Amnesia (The Adrsta Chronicles #1)
  • Snow Rises (Angels of Shadows, #1)
  • Rivers Fall (Angels of Shadows, #2)
  • Angels of Shadows An Adult Reverse Harem Romance
  • The Door (Part Two)
  • The Door: Part One
  • Red (Lilith Mercury Werewolf Hunter, #1)
  • Highland Burn (Guardians of Scotland, #1)
  • Primals (Reverse Harem #1)
  • Hope(less) (Judgement of the Six, #1)
  • The Boy Friend (Platonically Complicated, #1)
  • Xander's Chance (Damian Eternal, #1)
  • Shoot the Messenger (Messenger Chronicles, #1)
K.D. Wood lives in north Mississippi with her family and a very spoiled White Waug. She creates love stories and smoking southern erotica, but not your mama's happy ever after. She’s a consumer of chocolate but not spiders and completely composed of liquid awesome. When not in her office pounding the keys she can be found under a snuggly blanket, cup of coffee close by, with her nose in a book.
Fo

Unwilling (3 books)
  • Unloved (Unwilling #2)
  • Unboundless (Unwilling #3)

News & Interviews

“Do you know why the lotus is one of my favorite flowers?" I cocked my head to one side so I could see his expression.
He shook his head.
"This beautiful flower lives in the most vile, muddy water of swamps and bogs," I said and rubbed the smooth metal of the pendant between my fingers.
He frowned.
"No, seriously... the grosser the environment, the better," I said.
"So let me get this straight. You like a flower that lives in disgusting places?" One of his eyebrows rose. "That ain't right."
"No, I love this flower," I corrected.
He glanced at me out of the corner of his eye, "Seriously?"
"What?" You don't believe me?"
"Sure, I believe you. It's just weird."
"I'll tell you why, but only if you promise not to laugh," I said.
He nodded.
Taking a cleansing breath, I rested my head against the seat, closed my eyes, and took that scary first step.
"This flower stays in the mud and muck all night long."
I peeked at him without moving my head. His face had become set in the smooth lines of one who listens intently.
"Then, at sunrise, it climbs toward the light and opens into a pristine bloom. After the sun goes down, the bloom sinks into the mire. Even though it spends the whole night underwater, the flower emerges every morning as beautiful as the day before." Smiling, I swiveled in my seat to face him. "I love this flower because it reminds me that we get second chances every day, no matter what muck life drags us through.”
4 likes
“Neely McIntire," I said, clamping a sweaty hand behind her neck. "Friendship be damned!"
Hayden yanked me forward. I had time to make a very girly sound before his lips began to move furiously over mine. His touch left behind the tingle of cinnamon gum. One of his hands slowly slid down and pressed into the small of my back. For a second, I thought the sun had washed over me. But this heat cuddled around me, pushing its way through my clothes.
"Stmmmmp," I tried to say around his lips.
My knees wobbled as he wound his fingers into the curls at my neck, holding my face firmly against his.
"No." The hot pressure of his hand increased. A rumbling protest came from his throat when I dug my nails into his collarbones.
"Lemme go," I managed to gasp when he kissed the corner of my mouth.
"No," he whispered. His voice became a yielding puff of smoke. It slipped into my ears and coaxed something familiar from the broken depths.
The urge to fight drained away. This wisp of memory warmed me, relaxed tensed muscles, but tightened other places.
My fists uncurled and gripped his shoulders. "Why are you doing this?"
"I want you to come back to me, Neely," he said, wrapping his arms around my waist to press our hips together. Fiery lips caressed my face and neck. "I know you're in there somewhere. Come back, come back, come back," he whispered between kisses.”
2 likes