Start by marking “Call of Shadows (The Fearless, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Call of Shadows (The Fearless, #0.5)

Call of Shadows

(The Fearless 0.5)

Have you ever seen a roadside cross, and wondered why it was there? What if it isn't a memorial, signifying a loss and memory of a loved one?
What if the cross is bait? Would you visit a haunted cross? Even if you knew the ghost was real, and had a taste for human flesh?
How badly do you want to find out?
This short story of horror is set in the world of "The Fearless" series
Published October 10th 2014

To ask other readers questions about Call of Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Call of Shadows

Kelly Hull
Oct 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Although this only takes about ten minutes to read, I have a feeling I will be thinking about it a lot longer than that. It has a mysterious, dark, and sinister feel and as I began to read, I thought I was getting one thing and I'm almost shocked at how it really ended. And I have questions, but maybe I'm supposed to. There was a point where I was wondering if I should keep reading or take a break to sanitize my soul. I found myself saying "should I be reading this?" I'm referring to the part wh ...more
Rabid Reader
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is an interesting, macabre, attention getting short story. I was a bit puzzled at first as to what was going on but the story draws you in and it dawns on you just what this woman and her accomplice are. It is creepy, dark and sinister, and it leaves you wanting to know more
Carolyn Injoy
Call of Shadows by Terry Maggert Call of Shadows: A Fearless Series Short Story (The Fearless Book 0) by Terry Maggert is a puzzling short story about a monster and her Helper. I gave it four stars.

The simple cross was used as bait. "Less than two feet high, of a simple design, the roadside monument was like the thousands of others that dot the rural South and elicit a sympathetic what a shame or intemperate thoughts of just desserts for rowdy youth."

Link to purchase: https://www.amazon.com/Ca
Zeecé Lugo
Jan 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
This short story is a delicious morsel colored with the dark sensuality of poetic language and spiced with the unexpected dab of raw imagery that betrays its true nature. Narrated in the first person, it is a tale told by a lover, a monster, who awaits his mistress.

This mistress is not your usual fare. “Where she slept, I never knew, but the smell of her skin betrayed a history of quartering in haylofts, ditches, even the sweet tang of an abbatoir once saturated her rags.” It is soon apparent t
Lanie
Ew.

Yeah, see, I keep reading these free short story I got of Amazon, hoping I'll find one I actually love. But so far it's all just been a huge clustered I of disappointment.

Again, just EW!

Creepy, but not scary. The story as a "oh my god! That fucked up" sort of disturbing feeling to it. But no scariness. It was all so confusing & I didn't understand it at all. I think there was a couple of ghost monster things? & they went around setting up traps to like kill/rape/eat teenagers?

Maybe
Demelza Carlton
Oct 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal, horror
A chilling introduction to the world of the Fearless - what lurks in shadows is frightening, erotic and knows enough about human nature to start spinning scary stories of their own, luring you in...

Reminiscent of Anne Rice and her sensual killers, yet steeped in evil like Dracula and other gothic monsters from the past, this tale is perfect for opening your mind to the frightening intellect, insatiable appetite and twisted morals of the Undying.

If you like your monsters evil and always wondered
Paranormal Tendencies
Mar 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Call of Shadows from the Fearless series is a chilling short story of how the cross trap began. It is told from the point of view of a human monster and it tells how he started the trap, then spread the rumors to attract the curious and lastly how he watches and waits for the monster to devour its victims.
If you’re a fan of horror and the macabre, then you’ll likely enjoy this short. This definitely got me eager to begin book 1. Fascinating story 4 stars!
Tiffany
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
This story had promise but the run on sentences, the telling instead of the showing made it hard to follow. There was good description and wise use of word choice but made it hard to tell exactly what the point of this tale was about or even who the main characters were or the reasons behind the actions.
Tiffany Price
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
Nervous Nellie Justice
Aug 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-reviewed
*shiver* This is not a long read - but if you are not careful it will go slamming around in your brain for a longer than it took to read the story. This is an introduction to the artistry of storytelling that is to follow in the other books in the series. Solid and even a little scary.
Tia
Oct 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a great short story about road side crosses and an alternate possibility of their origin and or purpose. It's impossible not to notice them and be curious about them, so is the reason innocent or sinister. You'll have to read Call of Shadows to know, because I won't tell!
Scott Collins
Aug 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
An intro to the books I've already read. It's just the tip of the iceberg, a taste of the horrors to come. I liked this one, and believe me, it only gets better from here on out. I'll happily sit and read this series as long as Mr. Maggert keeps writing them.
Karen
Oct 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
If you are reader of Terry's Fearless series you need to read this short story
If you just like Sci fi/ horror then read this
I'm not a horror reader but I'm drawn to Terry's books and have enjoyed everything I've read by him
He writes wonderful stories that draw the reader in
Skye
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wonderfully creepy and intriguing.
Meaghan
Jan 23, 2015 rated it liked it
For a quick read this wasn't too bad.
Sonja
Jan 12, 2015
Diane
rated it did not like it
Aug 03, 2018
Marie
May 13, 2018
A.V. Dalcourt
Oct 11, 2014
Left-handed. Father of an apparent nudist. Husband to a half-Norwegian. Herder of cats and dogs. Lover of pie. I write books. I've had an unhealthy fascination with dragons since the age of-- well, for a while. Native Floridian. Current Tennessean. Location subject to change based on insurrection, upheaval, or availability of coffee. Nineteen books and counting, with no end in sight. You've been w ...more

The Fearless (5 books)
  • The Forest Bull (The Fearless, #1)
  • Mask of the Swan (The Fearless, #2)
  • The Waking Serpent (The Fearless, #3)
  • A Bride of Salt and Stars (The Fearless, #4)