Start by marking “A Common Christmas (A Haberdashers Tale #1)” as Want to Read:
A Common Christmas (A Haberdashers Tale #1)

A Common Christmas

(Haberdashers Tales #1)

A young woman, desperate to have one last lovely Christmas, brings the spirit of the season to the Harrington household.

Grace Ashman has lost everything: her mother five years ago, and now her father and her home just a week before Christmas. She lives on the streets until one kind man invites her inside for a meal before the holiday. What she couldn’t know is that his k
Paperback
Published by Graythorn Publishing (first published December 11th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about A Common Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Common Christmas

Start your review of A Common Christmas (A Haberdashers Tale #1)
2.5 stars.

Surprisingly well developed for a short, I enjoyed this one. I'm not interested in the earl's story, but this story was the best kind of Christmas romance. It was safe, clean, and sweet.
Cheesecake
I revisited this as an audiobook and enjoyed it just as much the second time round. The reader; Matthew Lloyd Davies does a great job!
###############################################
Original review:

Although this story starts before Athena's Ordeal, I think it could be read before or after without giving anything away.

Grace the homeless woman and Josh aka Dibbs, the butler.

A lovely love story between a butler and lady down on her luck (due to her horrid brother). It's a short story that takes pla
Trish R.
Nov 02, 2019 rated it liked it

This was a very strange historical novella: it was the butler who fell in love and married the homeless girl he took in when all the inside help went off for the Christmas season, and then the earl came home, so Grace helped as much as she could.

It was a cute story and all the help from the stables and the earl’s valet were all sweet characters, as was the earl himself.

It could have had a little more to it, IMO.

No sex.

As for the narrator: Matthew Lloyd Davies was barely okay for me. His woman’s
Tracy Emro
Dec 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short, sweet and utterly charming!!

This was one of the sweetest love stories I have read in a very long time.

No angst, no love triangles, no man-ho hero. Just a sweet story about two people falling in love at Christmas.

I loved it! I usually enjoy a lot more heat in my books, but honestly I didn't miss the sex in this book - it was perfect the way it is.

I would highly recommend this author to anyone who enjoys historical romance. The Haberdashers series is outstanding and this novella is a nic
Diane Lang
Dec 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This short story is so sweet and touching, it brought a big smile to my face. Grace and Dibbs are below stairs folks, who work very, very hard to make sure the household ran smoothly. It is set before Trials of Artemis and gives us some insight into what Gideon's life was like before Jack blew in. Makes me want to go and re-read Sue's other two books. I LOVE her writing and her wonderful characters.

A real holiday treat! Thanks!
Marianna
Jan 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
Read more reviews at A Lust For Reading. I received an ARC in exchange for my honest review.

I loved Sue London's first two books in her The Haberdashers series so I was excited to read the first novella in the Haberdashers Tales mini-series. Unlike the full-length novels, which are a bit on the steamy side, the Tales novellas are more on the sweet side. No there isn't any sex in this read, but trust me it doesn't need it.

You can't come across harder times than Grace Ashman has. With both her par
Sorcha
Marked as The Haberdashers #2.1, and as a Tale is apparently as clean as The Haberdashers isnt! At time of reading/reviewing, I haven't read other books in the series (Trials of Artemis being the first in the series) I couldn't possibly comment!

Anyway, this is a standalone book, where you dont need to know other characters elsewhere in the series to enjoy it. It's a short story length, and with virtually all the staff having been sent home for the Christmas holidays by Dibbs, the butler, there i
Judy
Nov 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Common Christmas by Sue London
Haberdashers Tales Book One
Joshua Dibbs, is one serious butler. He is by-the-rules and no exceptions. Then one cold rainy night a knock on the servant’s door has him wavering from his stern ways. He wouldn’t normally allow a beggar to enter his master’s home, but she’s carrying something small. How could he turn away a woman if she has a child?

Grace Ashman had lost so much when her family passed. Now she has nothing and must depend on the kindness of others. And n
Queen of the Geeks
I love that the author has all different levels of heat for her book series. This is a sweet romance book. No sex, just kissing.

Short story about Lord Lucifer's butler and how he finds his wife. Takes place over Christmas when the butler takes pitty on a poor homeless girl turned out by her family into the streets. He give her a warm place to dry off, food, employment and the love she no longer has from family.

Not all romance has to be hot. A very kind story about charity and love.
Deanna Stanley
Dec 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This a sweet, Christmas romance. I really enjoyed the peek into the lives of the servant class - they rarely get fleshed out as characters, but this time they got a story just about themselves!
This story is a little Christmas gift to romance readers. It's short, sweet, and satisfying, all tied up in a red ribbon.
Cara Group
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a short story (a novella), but very sweet. It is great to have a prequel style glimpse into the life of "Lord Lucifer" as well as showing the "downstairs" side of society. I read this book over the holidays (just now getting around to my reviews) and really enjoyed this light-hearted read.
Maria
Jul 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to say this short story was truly delightful. I truly loved it. Oh my, I laughed out loud throughout my read. The banter between Dibbs and Whit was wonderful. Now, I want Whit to find his happily ever after too. I also want to know when the time comes about Dibbs and fatherhood. It would be hysterical. This was a wonderful read this Christmas Eve. Thanks to Sue London.
Tamara
Apr 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this sweet story. It has a nice amount of Christmas details, and I really enjoyed the characters. I was worried that the premise was too ridiculous, but it worked. Don't expect the sex scenes in her other books. But if you want a happy Christmas story's, I recommend this one.
Kathy
Feb 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love. Must and will read more in the series.
Diana in SC
Apr 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think that this is the most perfect novella that I have ever read. It is so heartwarming. I highly recommend this one for fans of historical romance!
Little Red Readinghood
A sweet short romance.
Lynn Demsky
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, christmas
This was a delightful short novella filled with love, understanding and Christmas understanding. Took only maybe an hour and a half to read and will go find the rest of her books!
Ms. Christine Piekarski
Comfy little Holiday read.
Sieravonne
Feb 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: sue-london
Nice story. It gave me a glimpse on what happens in the kitchen of the house of aristocrats. However, for a serious butler, Dibbs was too fast---holding Grace's waist when they don't have any understandings yet??
Nola Arganbright
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
A true Christmas

A beautifully written Regency romance Christmas story. From the moment she had arrived at the kitchen door, soaked and hoping to find a safe and warm harbor, she had added joy to the residence.
Brittany
Mar 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: historicals
This was a short story set in the Haberdasher’s world. I hadn’t read any others in the series so I went in blind. I was enjoying the story up until the epilogue where it shared way too much about the other series. It was okay up until then.
Kathy
Oct 28, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Unfinished business

Not so much a review but an anger what happened to Charlie and Charlotte so much left unfinished. Do please finish their storey.
Tanya
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Maybe I shouldn't be trying so hard to make myself have some Christmas spirit. This was well-reviewed at Dear Author and had a kitten on the cover. But it was not very good. On to the next one!
Diane Horne
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Common Christmas (Book 1) By Sue London

Five stars, this was a real cute romantic love story..Love Josh and Grace they were ment to be together..Romantic Christmas love story.
Kbee
Audible Romance Package

AUDIOBOOK: Read December 20th 2018
2hrs 11min

Narrator: Matthew Lloyd Davies does a good job.
Really like this one ...sweet Christmas Romance.
Meredith
Jan 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received this book through a Goodreads giveaway. This book includes characters from the author's other books that detail the Haberdasher series. This book is a short story that features a few of the characters. While it may be part of a series, it is definitely a stand alone book. I have not read any of the other Haberdasher novels and did not have any confusion regarding who is who. The story is centered around the staff of an earl's townhome when he randomly returns home from his house in th ...more
Sandy Digger
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The other side

Having read the Haberdasher books this was a lovely look at the supporting staff. Quite romantic for a stuffy butler, this is the story of Dibbs and how his world is turned upside down when a bedraggled young lady shows up at the kitchen door the week of Christmas. He is alone since he allowed all of the staff to go home for the holidays, and then the Earl shows up and what's a proper butler to do? I enjoyed this short book greatly.
Eileen
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful, Sweet Regency Romance of Common People

This is so wonderfully different from most Regency stories. It is about two people...not royalty. The tale of below stairs...a butler and a young lady of the merchant class. Well written and evenly paced. Loved it!
Rebecca
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this short, sweet Christmas story. I enjoyed reading a historical romance based on the serving side of the household. It was complete, but I loved the characters so much I wish there was more.
Kimberly Hatten
Sep 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweet

This is a sweet little story of charity, romance and Christmas. Well written. The characters are likeable and fit well into the Haberdashers series.

• The Matrimonial Advertisement (Parish Orphans of Devon #1)
  • A Holiday by Gaslight
  • A Convenient Fiction (Parish Orphans of Devon, #3)
  • Forever and a Duke (Rogues to Riches, #3)
  • Mesmerized (The Mad Morelands, #1)
  • Five Days with a Duke (The Heart of a Scandal, #5)
  • The Captive (Captive Hearts, #1)
  • The Work of Art
  • Something About Emmaline (Bachelor Chronicles, #1)
  • A Wicked Kind of Husband (Longhope Abbey, #1)
  • Christmas in Silver Bell Falls (Silver Bell Falls, #1)
  • His Mistletoe Wager
  • The Lost Letter
  • The Bridemaker (Maker, #3)
  • The Spinster Who Saved a Scoundrel (The Brethren #5)
  • Captured by a Laird (The Douglas Legacy, #1)
  • The Viscount Who Lived Down the Lane (Rhymes With Love, #4)
  • The Proposition
Best selling author Sue London created the beloved Regency romance series The Haberdashers. If you like your historical romance with a little action, a little humor, and a lot of strong-minded women, then this is the series for you!

Recent reader reactions:
"Sue London is a very gifted writer. I always enjoy reading her books." ~ Annie
"It was so well written, and the storyline is wonderfully thrilli

Haberdashers Tales (4 books)
  • Fortune Said: A Valentine Haberdashers Tale (The Haberdashers, #2.2)
  • Sweet Tannenbaum (Haberdashers Tales #3)
  • Jack Valentine (Haberdashers Nights Book 2)

News & Interviews