Start by marking “Tokyo Ghoul, Vol. 1 (Tokyo Ghoul, #1)” as Want to Read:
Tokyo Ghoul, Vol. 1 (Tokyo Ghoul, #1)

Tokyo Ghoul, Vol. 1

(東京喰種 / Tokyo Ghoul #1)

4.42  ·  Rating details ·  85,067 ratings  ·  2,068 reviews
Shy Ken Kaneki is thrilled to go on a date with the beautiful Rize. But it turns out that she’s only interested in his body—eating it, that is. When a morally questionable rescue transforms him into the first half-human half-Ghoul hybrid, Ken is drawn into the dark and violent world of Ghouls, which exists alongside our own.
Published June 16th 2015 by VIZ Media LLC (first published February 17th 2012)

Win a Copy of This Book

• Tokyo Ghoul, Vol. 1 by Sui Ishida
    Tokyo Ghoul, Vol. 1 (Tokyo Ghoul, #1)

Release date: Aug 04, 2015
    Enter to win one of ten copies of the best-selling manga Tokyo Ghoul.

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 10 copies available, 2716 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Nov 02 - Nov 30, 2020

Countries available: U.S. and Canada

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Tokyo Ghoul, Vol. 1, please sign up.
    Gavin Abdollahi Hmmm, based on vol. 1 and a little bit of vol. 2, I'd say 13,14+.
    Hmmm, based on vol. 1 and a little bit of vol. 2, I'd say 13,14+.
    If you can handle Attack On Titan, or if you're ok with whoever you're checking for watching/reading it, this is fine (I speak for the manga version, though).

So, here's what you need to worry about:
    <spoiler>
    1) VIOLENCE

Obviously.
    Beheading, severing of limbs, blood gushes, human like creatures eating humans, humans killing ghouls... These are what I've gathered so far.
    Though, since it's just a bunch of drawings, and also black and white, I'm fine with it.

2) PSYCHOLOGICALITY (not sure what it's called)

Take a look at Death Note.
    Barely any nudity and or violence, but why is it best kept away from little kiddies?
    The psychological value, the mixed up sense of right and wrong.
    Tokyo Ghoul (for me) isn't necessarily creepy, but the main character is a human turned ghoul, who has to cope with the ghoul hunger, and will most probably have to eat humans.

Things you don't need to be worried of:
    NUDITY/ FANSERVIECE

Very much less quantity compared to other titles meant for younger boys.
    Sure, there is a bit of cleavage, and sometimes characters wear short skirts and or have big breasts, but it's way less worse compared to other titles, and there's one scene where a female character is seen leaning apron a male character, both naked (shown from the side, and this is in no way sexual, more like symbolizing the main character becoming a ghoul).

Hope this helped!

Edit:
    Oh, for a library?
    You may wanna shelf it under older teens, cuz that's the official rating (16, maybe 18+, I think).</spoiler>(less)
    Crisanto J. Jorda I'd say Project ARMS (which actually inspired AoT, according to AoT's author). Other than that, TG is in a category of its own, on writing alone.
    Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Volume 1 by Naoki UrasawaBerserk, Vol. 1 by Kentaro Miura20th Century Boys, Band 01 by Naoki UrasawaVagabond, Vol. 1 by Takehiko InouePLUTO by Naoki Urasawa
    Great Seinen Manga
    215 books — 281 voters
    Parasyte, Volume 1 by Hitoshi IwaakiTokyo Ghoul, Vol. 1 by Sui IshidaGyo, Vol. 1 by Junji ItoAkira, Vol. 1 by Katsuhiro OtomoBattle Royale, Vol. 01 by Koushun Takami
    Seinen Manga
    176 books — 23 voters

More lists with this book...

·  85,067 ratings  ·  2,068 reviews

Start your review of Tokyo Ghoul, Vol. 1 (Tokyo Ghoul, #1)
    Jesse (JesseTheReader)
    i loved this so much! i'm already so attached to the main character.
    Chloe
    my new obsession
    Julie
    Excellent beginning for this series! I'm watching the anime version on Hulu- which is fun. The reluctant ghoul is a great premise! Looking forward to the next installment!
    Aya Hamza
    May 08, 2016 rated it liked it
    Shelves: manga, 日本語, fantasy
    “I’m not the protagonist of a novel or anything. I’m a college student who likes to read, like you could find anywhere. But.. if, for argument’s sake, you were to write a story with me in the lead role, it would certainly be a TRAGEDY!”

photo maxresdefault_zpssfvuuojc.jpg

This is so PAINFUL!! A real TRAGEDY!
     photo imageedit_12_5997116848_zps8vpsqnyd.jpg
     photo 146288415372472 2_zpsb0fkzqmp.jpg
     photo 146288415372472_zpss7scxymq.jpg

This manga is about a normal boy "Kaneki" that had an organ transplantation from a "Ghoul".. then he finds that he can't act normal as he was. He became a "ghoul" after the operation!!
    He finds man
    Axle
    Aug 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    This is probably THE most amazing manga of the century. Inspired by Takatsuki Sen's "Egg of the Black Goat," it shows the mental and physical progress of a once innocent boy into something much darker but still retaining some of the gentleness of his former self. The literary analogies and intriguing plotline and battles scenes come together to make this one of the most eloquent action mangas to ever exist. There are deep underlying meanings in this manga that can interest any level of reader. I ...more
    AMEERA
    Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Wow
    Kevin (Irish Reader)
    I had a feeling I was going to love this manga, and it didn’t disappoint! I loved it so much! I found the world to be so interesting and I’m definitely looking forward to volume 2, to learn more about ghouls and the world.

Also did a reading vlog on my YouTube channel where I discussed this book. You can check that video out here: https://youtu.be/KkjqEK5fdco
    BondS
    Aug 10, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Chapter 1 to Chapter 9
    »»» My Reactions «««
    ★★★✩✩

Jan Philipzig
    The Goo Goo Muck

Meh. Weren’t teenagers supposed to fall prey to vampires or turn into werewolves when they get horny? Must be getting old… It’s a zombie world now, so our shy, angst-ridden protagonist falls for - you guessed it - a sexy, well-adjusted, dolled-up ghoul... and, well, let’s just say: somehow ends up with her organs in his body. Next thing our hero knows, he craves human flesh - bummer!

Yep, it’s all a bit clunky, contrived and generic - and the gore doesn’t really change that. Tokyo
    daye ((reading hiatus))
    Jul 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: horror, manga, fantasy
    “I was never athletic. I’ve learned what I know from books.”

ah, yes. me too, Kaneki…. me too……

oh to be a half-human, half-ghoul hybrid in Tokyo trying to protect your childhood best friend from other ghouls while also slowly coming to terms with the fact that you might eat him at any given time
    Romie
    I definitely see why so many people like this manga!
    I liked the MC, though I wanted to punch some sense into him sometimes and tell him to stop crying and do something with his life . . . but then again, the guy just became something he thinks as a ‘monster’ so I can understand why it's so hard for him to be at peace with himself.
    I'm pretty excited to read the next volumes!

3.75
    amy ☂︎
    Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: reread, 2020, 2019
    ken kaneki supremacy
    Mario
    Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: graphic-novels, manga
    Great start to a series. Even though I already knew what was going to happen ('cause I've seen the anime) it was still really interesting to read. The art style kind of reminded me of art style of Attack on Titan, but to me, that was a good thing, because I love AoT's art style. Can't wait to continue on with the series and see where the story will go.
    Roya
    Jun 07, 2018 rated it liked it
    Shelves: okay
    I’m slowly getting back into reading after a six month hiatus. I’ve never taken so much time away from reading and at times it felt like I was losing a part of myself. I used to be so in love with books and reading, but I slowly stopped wanting to do so much as pick up a book. I’d be lucky if I finished ten pages. Along the way, I realised that all this time I’ve been developing other interests and changing in general. And that’s okay and understandable. As much as reading was once a part of me, ...more
    David Schaafsma
    Dec 30, 2016 rated it liked it
    Shelves: manga-horror
    Tokyo Girl is the name of a Japanese television drama series that aired on 2008- 2009. This horror manga is not about this tv program.

It is also not about this Ace of Base song:

It also has nothing to do with David Bowie's "China Girl."

It is a ghoul story, though it is also a girl story, a girl named Rize a shy boy named Kaneki has a crush on. Then things get messy. K. survives the date with Rize, but with surgery, so now he's a half-ghoul. He lives in bot
    Maria
    Mar 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    11.08.19 Just casually rereading one of the greatest manga series of all time. Man, it’s been a while! Ishida Sui’s artwork in this volume looks so ugly compared to his latest work, that it makes me love it all the more. I kinda forgot how amazing of a character Yoshimura was. The true GOAT of the original TG series. And, of course, best boy Hide. Do I even need to say anything?

21.03.18 So far, I’m enjoying this more than i enjoyed the anime, but still 😕...maybe it’s just a little too creepy, ev
    Rusty Grey

Sheesh !! This sure was something . It took me about two volumes to get used to Ishida's art . The story is a bit slogging at places , otherwise it's quite fast paced like most of the shounen manga. I liked Ken Kaneki as the mc and most of the side characters . Tokyo Ghoul was a bit too gory at moments but overall it was an entertaining read .
    Kate
    Aug 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    4.5/5stars

Just as good as I remember the first time being! Such an interesting premise, beautiful art, and has you absolutely hooked from page 1.
    awwsalah
    Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: comics, manga
    this manga is interesting. a world that humans and Ghouls lives together, even the human's knows there existence. but they act like they don't even exist the ghouls i mean. even though the ghouls eat the human flesh. humans just ignores them.
    but one day, a kid named kaneke, sorry if i said his name wrong. anyway. this interesting kid, even though he's not that interesting at the beginning. but when he turns to half ghoul. thing would turn upside down for him. it would be hard for him to except h
    Vishakha ~ ReadingSpren ~
    I’m not the protagonist of a novel or anything…I’m a college student who likes to read, like you could find anywhere. But… if, for argument’s sake, you were to write a story with me in the lead role, it would certainly be… a tragedy.

-Kaneki Ken, Ch 1

photo Capture_2_zpsxu7425kv.jpg

This is the story of an average college guy, who finds himself attacked by a ghoul, creatures with supernatural strength, speed and abilities and who only eat human flesh. As fate has it, our guy Kaneki ends up in a hospital with the organs of o
    Lia

My journey into everything Japanese continues!
    Or: I absolutely adored the anime when I watched it, and since I needed more of this amazing universe in my life while waiting for the next season, I moved on to the manga. The art is incredible, and even though this is just the beginning, the story is the one I already know and love - eerie, bloody and dramatic.

Bonus content. Things that prove that Kaneki Ken is totally my soulmate:

• He is a giant book nerd that spends his whole time read
    Lauren
    May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: manga
    This is a re-read for me and was read in a different format. Having heard such great things about this manga I decided to give it another go as I definitely didn’t appreciate it first time around. I’m really glad that I gave it another chance (via ebook) because I am definitely intrigued by the plot, the characters and the whole ghouls living in the human world premise.

I will say that some of the battle scenes were a bit messy and hard to decipher what exactly was going on but I will continue w
    Alice (Married To Books)
    This is a very popular manga amongst my friends. Tokyo Ghoul certainly doesn't hold back from the gore and violence. For the majority of the read, I found the story to be quite unsettling. Following a shy guy called Ken who wants to go on a date with his crush, who is more keen in eating flesh than kissing him. Ken turns into a hybrid of a human and a ghoul and the ghoul world is very deadly. My journeys into discovering new mangas continues... but I don't think dark ones are my cup of tea!
    ash | novelly rooted
    Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: horror, manga
    “Tormented by an unworldly hunger, yet not knowing how to satisfy it.”

Ohhhhhhhhhhyeah!!!! I DEVOURED THIS.
    Michael Sorbello
    This is a review of the entire series.

Tokyo Ghoul begins with a streak of incredibly bad luck disguised as good luck. Reports of strange murders involving cannibalism and monster attacks have been haunting the city of Tokyo. What started as rumors quickly becomes reality as more and more victims show up dead. The creatures behind the attacks are believed to be ghouls. They don’t quite fit the normal definition of ghouls, they’re not hideous, rotting, undead monstrosities. They look like humans,
    Monique
    Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Tokyo Ghoul is coming out with an English edition?!

FINALLY!!!!!!

Wait...It's coming out in June of next year?!?!

AAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!! THAT'S EVEN LONGER THAN THE SEASON 2 RELEASE DATE!!!!!!!

I'll go insane...
    Mal
    Nov 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    you may not be a ghoul, but you're not a human either. there's no place for someone who can't decide between being one or the other.

And so the misery begins.
    I watched the first season and ...
    Have been ... avoiding season two.
    Because I know. I know.
    I don't want to go through that pain.
    So naturally I start the manga.
    Aleksandra
    description

A bookstore date... isn't that every book-lover's dream?

___

Although I watched the anime before, I enjoy this manga so much. I just picked it up to have a look at something and I accidentally read the whole thing— oops.
    Ana Sofia Ferreira
    Up until now, it's pretty faithful to the anime! I don't remember it well, but I think this entire volume happened in episode 1 and perhaps 2 as well.

It's really interesting to see Kaneki and the parallels between him and the books he read. Also Nishiki seems more evil here than I remember him. Hide is precious, he needs to be protected forever!

I hope that by reading the manga I get a deeper understanding of Kaneki and his reasons, but I'm expecting things to start shifting from the anime only a
    Magdalen
    Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: manga
    Having watched the anime it was high time I started reading the manga.
    How could I ever not enjoy a plot where the main protagonist is a person who loves to read and hates social events?
    Even though I knew what was going to happen I still loved it. It's a great start for an awesome manga! Oh I cannot wait to read more and find out what the hell happens next 'cause I've been told things get messy!
    Have I already mentioned that it is epic?
    SCPL Teens: Tokyo Ghoul Volume 1 Review 1 8 Jul 09, 2020 12:36PM
    Anime lovers103: Tokyo Ghoul 2 16 Apr 10, 2020 11:15PM
    tokyo ghoul 4 34 Dec 05, 2017 12:30PM

• Black Butler, Vol. 1 (Black Butler, #1)
    • Attack on Titan, Vol. 1 (Attack on Titan, #1)
    • Death Note, Vol. 1: Boredom (Death Note, #1)
    • Blue Exorcist, Vol. 1  (Blue Exorcist, #1)
    • My Hero Academia, Vol. 1 (My Hero Academia, #1)
    • Naruto, Vol. 01: Uzumaki Naruto (Naruto, #1)
    • 鬼滅の刃 1 [Kimetsu no Yaiba 1]
    • Fairy Tail, Vol. 01 (Fairy Tail, #1)
    • One Piece, Volume 1: Romance Dawn
    • Bleach, Volume 01
    • 約束のネバーランド 1 [Yakusoku no Neverland 1]
    • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #1)
    • ハイキュー!! 1 日向と影山 [Haikyū!! 1 Hinata to Kageyama]
    • ワンパンマン 1 [Wanpanman 1] (Onepunch-Man, #1)
    • Maid-sama! Vol. 01 (Maid-sama!, #1)
    • Ouran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 (Ouran High School Host Club, #1)
    • Vampire Knight, Vol. 1 (Vampire Knight, #1)
    • Hunter x Hunter, Vol. 01 (Hunter x Hunter, #1)
    Also known as 石田スイ.

Sui Ishida (石田スイ, Ishida Sui), born December 28, Fukuoka Prefecture, Japan, is a Japanese manga artist
    In 2010 he won the Young Jump 113th Grand Prix award with Tokyo Ghoul (東京喰種, Tōkyō Kushu). In March 2011, the same oneshot was published in the 2nd Issue of Miracle Jump. And later in September 2011, Tokyo Ghoul started as a series in Weekly Young Jump 2011-41 Issue. In December

東京喰種 / Tokyo Ghoul (1 - 10 of 14 books)
    • 東京喰種トーキョーグール 2 [Tokyo Guru 2] (Tokyo Ghoul, #2)
    • 東京喰種トーキョーグール 3 [Tokyo Guru 3] (Tokyo Ghoul, #3)
    • 東京喰種トーキョーグール 4 [Tokyo Guru 4] (Tokyo Ghoul, #4)
    • 東京喰種トーキョーグール 5 [Tokyo Guru 5] (Tokyo Ghoul, #5)
    • 東京喰種トーキョーグール 6 [Tokyo Guru 6] (Tokyo Ghoul, #6)
    • 東京喰種トーキョーグール 7 [Tokyo Guru 7] (Tokyo Ghoul, #7)
    • 東京喰種トーキョーグール 8 [Tokyo Guru 8] (Tokyo Ghoul, #8)
    • 東京喰種トーキョーグール 9 [Tokyo Guru 9] (Tokyo Ghoul, #9)
    • 東京喰種トーキョーグール 10 [Tokyo Guru 10] (Tokyo Ghoul, #10)
    • 東京喰種トーキョーグール 11 [Tokyo Guru 11] (Tokyo Ghoul, #11)