Start by marking “The Dead Detective (Dead Detective Series, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Dead Detective (Dead Detective Series, #1)

The Dead Detective

(Dead Detective Series #1)

Medical-school-dropout police detective Richelle Dadd is... well, dead.

But that won't stop her from trying to hold on to her house in a divorce battle with a bitter husband. Or keep her from digging into her own murder, to discover who put the bullet into her heart. And it certainly won't stand in the way of finding out the reason she's been reanimated as a zombie
Published October 27th 2014 by Curiosity Quills Press (first published October 25th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Dead Detective, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dead Detective

Start your review of The Dead Detective (Dead Detective Series, #1)
Debbie "Buried in Her TBR Pile"

I liked this one enough to say I'm reading the second book. However, the Romany/Gypsy curse lore kind of lost me me on how Richelle became undead (half-Zombie). The story could be a little tighter without all the zig zags in secondary story lines. No one is to be trusted in this one - not even the ghosts who appear to be helping.

The bad guy disappeared and should make an appearance in the next book - part of the reason I want to read it and see what happens. I'll know then if I want to
Gwen
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
It started off so well who wouldn't like the line: "You know you are having a bad day when you wake up in a chalk outline" but sadly for me it just went down hill from there. It had such potential but some how the characters just grated on my nerves, I also found it a bit odd at how accepting everyone was that Richelle now a zombie, everything just seemed so casual. You might enjoy the book if you like gum shoe detective stories with a paranormal element but it wasn't for me.
Juli Hoffman
Read another series

I love J.R. Rain's Samantha Moon series...this is not it. The editing wasn't up to the usual standards. Lots of typos. The pacing was bad. Characters were brought in out of nowhere. It felt like key elements were left out, or perhaps edited out. Not at all on par with his usual style of writing.

I usually gobble J.R. Rain's stories in a day or two, even the stand alone books. I almost didn't finish The Dead Detective. I liked the concept of the book, an undead cop trying to
Jeanie
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
"The Dead Detective"

BY: J.R. Rain and Rod Kierkegaard Jr.

I have been a fan of J.R. Rain for many years and am especially fond of his Vampire for Hire books. Unfamiliar with Kierkegaard's work I thought this might be an interesting book to read although I am not usually a fan of the Zombie stories. I usually want you to be "dead" or "alive"! Hard for me to straddle that line.

You can definitely pick out J.R. Rain's writing in this story. He does a great job of character development and likability.
Rosie Amber
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Dead Detective is a paranormal murder mystery and allows pure escapism from life as we know it. Believing herself to be the victim of a prank, Richelle Dadd wakes up inside a chalk outline at a murder scene. Ticked off at the level to which her fellow police officers will go to pull such a prank, Richelle begins to ask a few questions. The trouble is, no pulse, cold skin and a bullet through her heart are just NOT normal. Plus something has happened to her vision, she can see ghosts or ...more
Karen Patterson
Jul 30, 2015 rated it liked it
I am torn about how I feel about this book. On the one hand, it was very different and unexpected. Richelle, a police detective, is assassinated by and brought back to life by gypsies to do their bidding. With the exception of no pulse and feeling cold, she does not look like nor act like a “zombie” but she is undead as she tries to (1) find out who did this too her, (2) accept that this is who she is now and, (3) deal with the aftermath of what they are forcing her to do. The book definitely ...more
Peter Kalin
This book starts out with an intriguing premise - a novel told from the viewpoint of an undead police detective as she 'awakes' after being shot to death, but devolves to some silliness along the way that I thought undercut it's effectiveness. Perhaps the book is built entirely on gypsy myth that is not familiar to me, but the premise falls apart pretty rapidly as this becomes more of a standard crime book with several unfortunate tropes.

That all being said, I didn't actively dislike the book;
chucklesthescot
A female detective wakes up lying at the deserted crime scene and thinking she has been pranked, until she walks into the police station and almost gives her boss a heart attack. It becomes clear that she is indeed dead, which is to be kept secret while they work out what is going on.

I just couldn't get into this at all. It sounds as if it was meant to be lighthearted and amusing but I just didn't get it if that was the case. I felt as if the author couldn't decide between an urban fantasy
Tammy
Oct 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
Disappointing. This story was just not believable, and it was obvious that a man was trying to write a woman's perspective. After wading through long, drawn-out, descriptions and ramblings in the main character's head, the book suddenly ended in one chapter. But where were those extra details in the first chapters? I'm not a homicide detective, so the unexplained acronyms and jargon were just confusing and annoying. I feel that Rain must have just agreed to edit this book for a friend. This book ...more
liirogue
Dec 08, 2015 rated it did not like it
DNF. The first few lines were great, but it just dropped off a cliff. Literally everyone she encounters is slightly shocked but totally cool with the fact that she's now walking dead. No fuss, no disbelief. I just can't muster that level of suspension of reality to continue with the story. And there's something... grating about the main character.
Kim Norman
This was a pretty good story but it was only pretty good. It has never taken me this long to read a J.R. rain book. In all fairness, I have been really busy and haven't had a lot of time to read. Still, I don't know that I will read the next book in this series any time soon.
Steve Isenhower
Mar 09, 2015 rated it did not like it
A huge disappointment! I did not finish this book. I have read all the Samantha Moon and Jim Knighthorse books and they were all great. This book was very slow. I didn't care for the main character. Actually I didn't like any of the characters. Very poor effort.
JJ Dunaway
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a creative idea for a story. From the title I was intrigued to find out what that actually meant. The main character solving her own murder was a great start to gain the readers interest. I enjoyed the intertwining of the land of the living and of the dead. I will say based on the title for the second book in the series I had already guessed something that would happen in this book but still wouldn't say the story was predictable. A light story to read even though it revolves around death ...more
Krystyna
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The living dead

When she wakes up to find herself in the middle of a crime scene, she thinks it's a prank pulled by her fellow officers. However this is no prank, she is really dead but also still alive. Getting her Captain's okay to come back to work might be a bit tricky. She has to pass a medical. With no pulse, a shredded heart and no visible signs of life. Throw in a cheating husband, gypsies that want to use her for crimes (by overcoming her will), a big heist and someone who wants to use
Ukgardenfiend
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-books-read

Now I thought the book was really rude about Canada. In it the Rabbi says about the Afterlife that it it's like being stuck in Canada, dank and gloomy, full of strangers and weird stores and very old fashioned.

Having been to Canada a few times, I would like to claim that it is not like that at all. It can be very cold true, but Seattle is dank and gloomy. Weird stores are to be found everywhere as are strangers! And old Fashioned? Well apart from New York everywhere that is not London is Old
Cindy
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read most of Rain's series and decided to start on this one. I really enjoyed it. It seems like this one was longer than the Moon/Silver/Allison series, which was nice. It might mean these take longer to release, but I felt like I could really sit down and take this one in without flying through it. Richelle is another awesome female lead. Zombies under gypsy control, ghosts and regular visits to other side, very cool. There are some great characters and a busy plot that doesn't feel ...more
Mjuneb
May 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Zombie Police

Under control of a gypsy after being shot through the heart, is not the way a police woman wants to spend her non-life. While this is a hard to put don book, it is not a nice read. Life after death is very disheartening and ghosts are off putting in their physical descriptions. If you like viewing bodies at car accidents, this maybe for you. The author does have a great story line though.
Dr. Simone J. Simone
Totally Offbeat

I've never encountered a book quite like this. Would never deliberately read a book about a zombie, but this character is not a member of the Walking Dead cast. I enjoyed seeing the afterlife from a completely different perspective than that of my own imagination. Really loved the dead cop, Bull, from the past. In fact, mingling the present and the past was my favorite aspect of the book. This is written in quite an intriguing way! It gets my top rating!
Bette
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Medical-school-dropout police detective Richelle Dadd is... well, dead. But that won't stop her from reporting to work, or trying to solve her murder, or finding out why she is a zombie.

Definitely out of the ordinary, J.R Rains brings us a police detective who is one of the undead. And, entertains us with the trials and tribullations of not being outed while trying to solve cases. She brings on the gypsies, the fortune tellers, the ghosts and the living.
Angela V. Herndon
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I found this Book to be very interesting. I do plan on reading or better yet, listening t the second part. It was so refreshing to be able to listen to be able to listen to the story and still be able to do other things while enjoying this novel! I recommend this book to others who like a good read!
Curly's  Ramblings
Jun 07, 2017 rated it liked it
The Dead Detective is a decent first book in a series. The premise of a zombie detective was unique and interesting. The story has a decent plot, storyline, plot, and character development. The narrator performed well by providing each character with their own unique voice.
Kathie
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
Awesomely good read! It's unique, funny, well-written with some of the best inner dialogue I've read in a long while. The main character is witty and fabulous, as well as several of the secondary characters. I plan to pick up Deadbeat Dad next!
Rocky
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly good read!

When I first started reading this book I was a little turned off. I felt like I might not even finish it. But the more I read the more hooked on it I got. Before I knew it I was having a hard time putting it down. Now I can’t wait to start the next book.
Kim
Mar 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am looking forward to reading the next sequel. This was an unexpected twist on zombies. As usual JR Rain makes me laugh.

Gail
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nique
3.5 stars. Not what I expected, action, zombies...sorta, solve your own murder and some other crazy shit. Left you with a cliff hanger that will make me read the next in the series.
Amy Villarreal
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun

This book is a fun read. It kept my ADD attention span well which is a hard thing to do. I would enjoy reading more like this.
pamela k cronister
Engaging

Easy to read, has a plot that keeps you involved. The characters are all fully developed and the two worlds fit together very nicely. I recommend this for Mr Rain fans.
Domino
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dead dective

Loved the whole dead detective. Make for a great read. Write a great book wonderful plot. Ending a great one.
Manola Dobbs
Dead Dectective

The main character is dead/alive. It's not what I was expecting. I just didn't like it. Not the book I thought it would be.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Dead in the Water (Gemini, #1)
  • Fast Money (Shelby Nichols #2)
  • First Term (Dragon Fire Academy #1)
  • A Shifter's Curse (Rouen Chronicles #1)
  • Dime a Demon (Ordinary Magic, #4)
  • A Ghost of a Chance (The Nightwatch #1)
  • Ascension (Nate Temple Chronicles #13)
  • Her Father’s Daughter (Alison Brownstone #1)
  • A Daring Captain for Her Loyal Heart
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Undead Client: Being Book One of the Unpublished Case Files of John H. Watson, MD
  • How to Wake an Undead City (The Beginner's Guide to Necromancy, #6)
  • Singapore Spirits
  • The Girl Code: The Secret Language of Single Women (On Dating, Sex, Shopping, and Honor Among Girlfriends)
  • Lie or Die (Shelby Nichols #3)
  • So Very Unfae (A Riddler's Edge Cozy Mystery #5)
  • Rise Against (The Foundling, #4)
  • Kissing Outside the Lines: A True Story of Love and Race and Happily Ever After
  • Laced In Lies (Shelby Nichols, #10)
I'm an ex-private investigator now writing full-time in the Pacific Northwest, where I live in a small house on a small island with my small dog, Sadie, who has more energy than Robin Williams.

As a kid I was always making stuff: skates, skateboards, skimboards, skis, sleds, clothing, furniture, wood carvings, Easter baskets, comic books, you name it. I was the mother of all nerds. Anyway, I think

Dead Detective Series (2 books)
  • Deadbeat Dad
“Meanwhile, Harper has called me back. Now there’s an eager beaver. Eager for beaver, anyway, even if it’s chilled to room temperature.” 1 likes
“is the privilege of the dead? Never to die again.” - Friederich Nietzsche” 0 likes